The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gloucester keen on Jones

+8
doctor_grey
bathmad
gowales
Welshmushroom
HongKongCherry
formerly known as Sam
XR
welshman4life
12 posters

Go down

Gloucester keen on Jones Empty Gloucester keen on Jones

Post by welshman4life Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:09 pm

Gloucester have joined the race to sign British and Irish international Stephen Jones from the Scarlets.

Jones has scored 917 points in a record 104 appearances for Wales, while he has turned out 305 times for the Scarlets during two spells at the club.

However with his contract at the Parc y Sacrlets set to expire in the summer and his international career appearing to be over, Jones is now weighing up his options.

The 34-year-old was omitted from the Wales squad for the RBS Six Nations - with his Scarlets team-mate Rhys Priestland and James Hook ahead of him in the pecking order.

A number of Europe's top teams have been monitoring the situation - with a return to France, where Jones spent two years with Clermont between 2004-06, among the options open to him.

Gloucester, though, have earmarked the veteran No.10 as the ideal man to mentor rising star Freddie Burns, who has signed a new deal at Kingsholm, and academy product Ryan Mills.

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12549/7443668/Gloucester-keen-on-Jones

welshman4life

Back to top Go down

Gloucester keen on Jones Empty Re: Gloucester keen on Jones

Post by XR Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:14 pm

I remember when he was linked with the blues, he even bought a house in Llandaff. Not too late Steve Wink

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:14 pm

Be a good move to Gloucester for Jones. They have a pretty pacey young backline (not that different from the Scarlets) and could use a wise head to help mentor the attacking brilliance of Burns. Jones would get to stay near Wales and to play in the big HEC games but not be relied on for weekly 80 mins.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:21 pm

ah not some more about this! Read an article yesterday on thisisgloucester's website. Annoying.

Still, Stevo is always linked with a move away. Can't see it myself, although Gloucester has it's plus points for him. Depends if he wants one final massive pay salary (as Scarlets for sure can't afford to offer him a great one!).

Scarlets still have a lot of use for him though, so really hope he stays.

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:38 pm

Gloucester are normally very coy about any potential targets, so the fact we've been specifically linked makes me feel it's unlikely. What has been publically stated is that Freddie Burns needs an older FH to act as a mentor. There is no suggestion this can't be/isn't our current FH Tim Taylor, but clearly someone of Jones' experience would help Burns and Mills. We have been strongly linked with Jimmy Gopperth although there is news coming out that he is too costly - especially as we're after 36!!
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:42 pm

especially as we're after 36!!.

Well the rumours around Welford Rd are that you'd prefer to have Allen back and are offering him the first team terms he wanted when he left last time. Saints were apparently the ones chasing after Billy which isn't a suprise now that the ex-Tigers academy boss Dusty Hare is in that role for Saints.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:48 pm

Isnt Taylor out of Contract and reported to be leaving?

Not a major loss for Scarlets because I think Jordan Williams may get more gametime to develop.

From a Gloucester perspective he will be available to play all their games so you can see the why they would. But if they do it may damage development of others and a long term plan. I also dont think this is a positive signing for English Rugby as he wont be cheap and those resources could have been used to sign more academy players on Pro contracts etc.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:59 pm

Who's going to help develop him though mushroom? Rhys P won't be there half the time, then we've only got Newton or Thomas to fall back on (neither of whom are brilliant). Jordan still needs a lot of help, Stevo is crucial to us.

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:04 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
especially as we're after 36!!.

Well the rumours around Welford Rd are that you'd prefer to have Allen back and are offering him the first team terms he wanted when he left last time. Saints were apparently the ones chasing after Billy which isn't a suprise now that the ex-Tigers academy boss Dusty Hare is in that role for Saints.

To be honest, I'd be more than happy with either! Allen is the only player that has left Glaws in recent years that I've been really disappointed about. But 36 would give a different option and add more physicality. I don't want to get my hopes up too much as I'd have thought both will stay with you.

Welshmushroom wrote:Isnt Taylor out of Contract and reported to be leaving?

From a Gloucester perspective he will be available to play all their games so you can see the why they would. But if they do it may damage development of others and a long term plan. I also dont think this is a positive signing for English Rugby as he wont be cheap and those resources could have been used to sign more academy players on Pro contracts etc.

Firstly, I wouldn't be surprised if Taylor went back to Tigers. They need a back up FH, he still has a house in the area, so you never know.

I can't see any damage by Jones' arrival. We're looking for an experienced FH, but not one who will be 1st choice. If Jones, or any other FH of this ilk has any aspirations to become a coach, this type of mentoring role may well appeal. I can safely say though Glaws will not be chucking money at them, we learnt our lesson after the Carlos Spencer debacle!
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:07 pm

Hes being looked at as a mentor for Burns so it would probably be a good signing. Burns is first choice and this is his first year of full rugby someone to come and close the game out would be a smart idea.
Tim Taylor doesn't look that impressive from what i've seen.
Mushroom do you honestly think having Burns as first choice and a academy player as second choice is a good idea?

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:08 pm

Steve wasn't there half the time when Rhys was coming through. Infact that helped his development as Scarlets ended up playing him.

Had Steve been avaialble for 100% of the matches maybe Priestland wouldn't have developed the same way he has now.

Thomas is actually quite solid - if not spectacular (but neither is Steve) and with Jordan to develop there seems to be plenty of options there.

Besides the money saved on Stevo could be the difference on keeping Day & Davies who I think need to be retained urgently by the Scarlets.

Dont get me wrong I would rather see him stay at the Scarlets if Finances didnt come into it but given that Stevo will cost around 100k a year minimum that money is better to be used on keeping long terms players.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:13 pm

If the Scarlets can't afford them then they should let him go. He isn't worth selling the house for, lets just put it that way. If they would offer him a coaching position that might entice him but apparently he wants to get away from rugby once he has retired so maybe a last pay day would be his choice?

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:14 pm

Not at all gowales. The issue that may be a problem is that Stevo gets there and keeps Burns out of the team. That wont help Burns to develop at all. As Wales are finished with Stevo (except injuries) he will even be available 100% of the time. I'd imagine Stve's reputation will keep Burns out of the side if hes fit and available.

At least with Gopperth he is English and still young so that would benefit English Rugby.

Look at Robinson at Wasps - Hes a shadow of his former self and he is still managing to keep out young English Talent.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:16 pm

I think we'd re-sign him, but on a reduced wage. No way can we afford to pay what we currently are. It depends entirely on where he wants to finish out his playing days, or whether he wants one last big pay packet. Couldn't really blame him if he did.

With the money being saved by Monty leaving, and potentially Rhys T/Manu (or both), that should be enough for us to cover re-signing of key players, and leave enough left over to buy in some new ones. All 3 of those are on massive wages.

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:25 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:

Look at Robinson at Wasps - Hes a shadow of his former self and he is still managing to keep out young English Talent.

In fairness he is playing behind a very poor pack, he is also a confidence player and there probably isn't a side with less confidence at the moment than Wasps! I'd be happy to have him back at Glaws.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:27 pm

Maybe Mushroom. But from what i've seen of Burns he would definitely be first choice ahead of Jones, he has been on fire this year.

I agree i think Gopperth would be the best choice but i think hes better than Jones so maybe he would keep burns out of the side instead!

Robinson is first choice but their second choice is Ryan Davis who is an average player at best. Wasps also don't have a lot of depth at flyhalf, i think their next player is an academy player who has been flaky when hes played.

Remember that rugby is a business now and teams are going to sign players regardless of them blocking English talent because they have to win. And as Mallinder and Johnson regularly explain its becoming kind of pointless to sign home talent because they will be away with England or Wales all the time.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:35 pm

I don't want to get my hopes up too much as I'd have thought both will stay with you.

They are both in contract negociations but seeing as both will want to start games I would imagine both are looking for guarentees which Tigers might not be able to give. If we had to lose one then I'd choose to lose Allen over Twelvetrees but I think ideally the club will want to retain both.

Firstly, I wouldn't be surprised if Taylor went back to Tigers. They need a back up FH, he still has a house in the area, so you never know

Couldn't be worse than Staunton and might be cheaper!

At least with Gopperth he is English and still young so that would benefit English Rugby

Gopperth is a 28 year old Kiwi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Gopperth

I think there is also a world of difference between Robinson keeping 26 year old Ryan Davies out of the Wasps team and the challenge Jones would have to keep 20 year old Freddie Burns out of the Gloucester team. Davies was signed as a back up and stop gap but Burns has a new 2 and a half year deal, Glaws are building around him and his attacking style suits (he is also twice the player of Davies).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:12 pm

Would be a terrible signing. Need to bring Burns through as no 1 10, with able back up if required.

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:00 pm

bathmad wrote:Would be a terrible signing. Need to bring Burns through as no 1 10, with able back up if required.

Whilst I can't see Glaws signing him, he'd actually be exactly what you said! Burns would be 1st chocie & he'd be an able back up, who is also mentoring Burns.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:14 pm

Its really hard for me to see a player with 100 International caps want to step down and become a spot player and mentor to a kid. Unless this is how he sees his future, whch I doubt, then this would be a recipe for disaster.

If Gloucester are convinced Burns is the next big thing, then he must be the undisputed 10 for that team, with no looking over his shoulder. But the signing would make great sense if they are not convinced............

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:02 pm

gcBlues wrote:I remember when he was linked with the blues, he even bought a house in Llandaff. Not too late Steve Wink

I wish...:/
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:02 am

gcBlues wrote:I remember when he was linked with the blues, he even bought a house in Llandaff. Not too late Steve Wink
Would help the Blues. Can you get him ASAP and give parks his p45. Maybe before the game against Racing?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by overlordofthewest Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:16 pm

You can keep your hands off.
Steve will stay another year at the Scarlets, we're not finished with him yet and he's not ready to go. He still has a lot to give to the region including helping to develop the youth coming through in the FH position.

overlordofthewest

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:57 pm

Is that what "Steve" told you?

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down