The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arum says Manny has chosen is opponent. From Eastsideboxing

+8
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
rycoys
The Sweet Science UK
Rowley
The genius of PBF
Valero's Conscience
Adam D
hampo17
12 posters

Go down

Arum says Manny has chosen is opponent. From Eastsideboxing Empty Arum says Manny has chosen is opponent. From Eastsideboxing

Post by hampo17 Mon 16 Jan 2012, 09:59

According to promoter Bon Arum, in speaking to The Philippine Star, it took “30 minutes to get everything done.” Arum was referring to his star fighter Manny Pacquiao and he choosing the next opponent for the P-4-P king.

But, being tight-lipped, Arum will not say who it is that Pac-Man chose. Not until an official press conference set for this coming week some time. Why not? Is it because Arum knows the fans will be unhappy because the chosen next foe is not Floyd Mayweather? Maybe. But Arum has said that Mayweather “is not out of the picture.”

All Arum would say was that “Yes, he [Manny] has made the right choice.” Again, why the need for secrecy then?

It may not mean too much, but whispers coming out of The Philippines say that Pacquiao’s wife, Jinkee, was quoted as saying her husband has chosen Miguel Cotto as his next opponent, meaning, if true, that we will see a return of the November 2009 meeting Pac-Man and Cotto had. How will fans react if this proves to be true? Pacquiao against a guy he has already dominated and stopped, anyone? And at what weight will the reigning WBA 154-pound champ face Pacquiao at if a return happens?

Jinkee said her husband had been going though tapes and, in looking for a June opponent, picked Cotto.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Pacquiao did fight Cotto next; or anyone else other than Mayweather come to that. A recent ESPN poll had a whopping 46-percent of voters saying they did not believe Pacquiao-Mayweather would happen this year. I’m one of these people.

Look for Mayweather to fight on his set date of May 5th (probably against Canelo Alvarez), and look for Pacquiao to fight four to six weeks later (probably against Cotto).

Now, let Arum and Pacquiao prove me wrong!

I really can't see the need for this fight again. If Cotto can hit and move then he will have a slightly improved chance, but eventually when he gets hit that warrior is going to come out and he'll want to trade.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Arum says Manny has chosen is opponent. From Eastsideboxing Empty Re: Arum says Manny has chosen is opponent. From Eastsideboxing

Post by Adam D Mon 16 Jan 2012, 10:03

hampo171 wrote:
According to promoter Bon Arum, in speaking to The Philippine Star, it took “30 minutes to get everything done.” Arum was referring to his star fighter Manny Pacquiao and he choosing the next opponent for the P-4-P king.

But, being tight-lipped, Arum will not say who it is that Pac-Man chose. Not until an official press conference set for this coming week some time. Why not? Is it because Arum knows the fans will be unhappy because the chosen next foe is not Floyd Mayweather? Maybe. But Arum has said that Mayweather “is not out of the picture.”

All Arum would say was that “Yes, he [Manny] has made the right choice.” Again, why the need for secrecy then?

It may not mean too much, but whispers coming out of The Philippines say that Pacquiao’s wife, Jinkee, was quoted as saying her husband has chosen Miguel Cotto as his next opponent, meaning, if true, that we will see a return of the November 2009 meeting Pac-Man and Cotto had. How will fans react if this proves to be true? Pacquiao against a guy he has already dominated and stopped, anyone? And at what weight will the reigning WBA 154-pound champ face Pacquiao at if a return happens?

Jinkee said her husband had been going though tapes and, in looking for a June opponent, picked Cotto.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Pacquiao did fight Cotto next; or anyone else other than Mayweather come to that. A recent ESPN poll had a whopping 46-percent of voters saying they did not believe Pacquiao-Mayweather would happen this year. I’m one of these people.

Look for Mayweather to fight on his set date of May 5th (probably against Canelo Alvarez), and look for Pacquiao to fight four to six weeks later (probably against Cotto).

I really can't see the need for this fight again. If Cotto can hit and move then he will have a slightly improved chance, but eventually when he gets hit that warrior is going to come out and he'll want to trade.

Doesnt that mean that an even more whopping 54% think that he will?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Arum says Manny has chosen is opponent. From Eastsideboxing Empty Re: Arum says Manny has chosen is opponent. From Eastsideboxing

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 16 Jan 2012, 10:04

......and Manny's advisor Koncz has now said Manny hasn't chosen an opponent. Typical crap we deal with concerning Manny and Arum.

Apparently Manny won't fight Cotto above 147ibs.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Mon 16 Jan 2012, 10:05

Probably to stop Cotto from leaving top rank.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 16 Jan 2012, 10:05

haha, I didn't see that. You'd think so, I certainly can't see there being a third option in the pole. Maybe Arum is waiting for PBF to serve his time and hope he comes out a different person.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 16 Jan 2012, 10:07

Adam D wrote:
hampo171 wrote:

Doesnt that mean that an even more whopping 54% think that he will?

You're ignoring the percentage who can no longer muster up the interest to care, must be a good 50 odd percent there

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 16 Jan 2012, 10:11

Had a quick look on ESPN here's the vote:

Will Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao fight this year?
21% Yes, on May 5
34% Yes, on another date
45% No

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sweet Science UK Mon 16 Jan 2012, 10:27

If it's the same Pacquaio that has turned up in his last two fights Cotto could have a chance (so long as he doesn't try & trade with Pacquaio). Stick to hitting & moving. He's one of the most accurate punchers in boxing today.

But I can't lie it's disappointing, especially because Cotto will probably be forced to come down to the wrong weight, again.
The Sweet Science UK
The Sweet Science UK

http://thesweetscienceuk.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Jan 2012, 18:10

hampo171 wrote:haha, I didn't see that. You'd think so, I certainly can't see there being a third option in the pole. Maybe Arum is waiting for PBF to serve his time and hope he comes out a different person.

What, like a mincing cross-dresser who now answers only to 'Kandy'?

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 16 Jan 2012, 18:49

DAVE667 wrote:
hampo171 wrote:haha, I didn't see that. You'd think so, I certainly can't see there being a third option in the pole. Maybe Arum is waiting for PBF to serve his time and hope he comes out a different person.

What, like a mincing cross-dresser who now answers only to 'Kandy'?

At least his Pretty Boy nickname would still be fitting!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by rycoys Mon 16 Jan 2012, 21:19

it will make me so angry if its not floyd mad , i just wish fans could do something about it , his p4p rank should go down , behind martinez and marquez , hopefully his ppv ratings will go down aswel and just lose the respect of the fans , manny should just say to arum that he does nt care about money and just wants to prove hes the best in the world , i mean how much money does he need !! after all the talk i cant belive freddie roach will allow this to happen either , is anyone outside the phillippines intrested in him fighting cotto again ?

rycoys

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 16 Jan 2012, 23:11

A lot of talk on twitter it will be Bradley not Cotto who Pac will face next.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Tue 17 Jan 2012, 02:45

rycoys wrote:it will make me so angry if its not floyd mad , i just wish fans could do something about it , his p4p rank should go down , behind martinez and marquez , hopefully his ppv ratings will go down aswel and just lose the respect of the fans , manny should just say to arum that he does nt care about money and just wants to prove hes the best in the world , i mean how much money does he need !! after all the talk i cant belive freddie roach will allow this to happen either , is anyone outside the phillippines intrested in him fighting cotto again ?
From what I've read, Manny does need money. He gives away a lot and running for office costs money.

What I find sad about Manny though, is that he wants to be a politician, make decisions and so on, but yet he doesn't seem to be able to make decisions concerning his career. What happens when he's asked a question about a crisis or emergency in the Philippines? Does he call Bob Arum for advice?

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 17 Jan 2012, 11:06

Atila wrote:
rycoys wrote:it will make me so angry if its not floyd mad , i just wish fans could do something about it , his p4p rank should go down , behind martinez and marquez , hopefully his ppv ratings will go down aswel and just lose the respect of the fans , manny should just say to arum that he does nt care about money and just wants to prove hes the best in the world , i mean how much money does he need !! after all the talk i cant belive freddie roach will allow this to happen either , is anyone outside the phillippines intrested in him fighting cotto again ?
From what I've read, Manny does need money. He gives away a lot and running for office costs money.

What I find sad about Manny though, is that he wants to be a politician, make decisions and so on, but yet he doesn't seem to be able to make decisions concerning his career. What happens when he's asked a question about a crisis or emergency in the Philippines? Does he call Bob Arum for advice?

I would lay money that he's a useless politician. He means well i'm sure but always comes across dumb IMO. He was voting in purely because he's an idol......and that he reportedly spent in excess of $10m on his campaign!

He reminds me of George Bush!

I would rather see Bradley fight him, purely as it's a different fighter and one who is undefeated and has good speed and similar size.

Pac has said he won't fight Cotto above 147ibs and Cotto's advisor has said he wouldn't fight at the WW limit....unless their is real benefit i.e. paid more!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Tue 17 Jan 2012, 13:34

I don't think it'll be Mayweather and it's quite clever from both him and Manny. I don't think either of them want to fight each other, or more importantly I don't think either of them think they NEED to fight each other. The frenzy over the last week or so sets this it up perfectly for them to avoid each other again:

Mayweather will say he laid down the gauntlet for May 5th and Manny dodged him.

Manny will say he was willing to fight him but only on the 26th, however Mayweather refused.

Both look equally as good or bad as each other depending on your viewpoint.

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 17 Jan 2012, 13:35

Taken offense to one of the Floyd fanboys has he?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 17 Jan 2012, 13:41

I think it's it's quite funny how he's keeping it a secret like anyone gives a Poopie with the list he put out. Someone should have told him that if it's not Mayweather noone is really interested.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down