The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

West Indies greatest test XI

+11
Pal Joey
Corporalhumblebucket
Mike Selig
dummy_half
gboycottnut
Stella
Hoggy_Bear
guildfordbat
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
kwinigolfer
GG
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

West Indies greatest test XI - Page 3 Empty West Indies greatest test XI

Post by GG Thu 12 Jan 2012, 3:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

Greenidge
Haynes
Richards
Lara
Lloyd (c)
Sobers
Dujon
Marshall
Ambrose
Holding
Gibbs

Thoughts?

GG

Back to top Go down

West Indies greatest test XI - Page 3 Empty Re: West Indies greatest test XI

Post by guildfordbat Sun 22 Jan 2012, 9:30 pm

rohan.kallicharan wrote:There are some great comments and debate above. We actually did a project for a website in 2010 in which we attempted, with great difficulty, to select a greatest West Indian XI of all time.

Allow me for a second just to indulge myself with the following quote from a guy called Gary Steckles:-

"What a story it was. For decade after glorious decade, teams put together from a collection of tiny Caribbean nations – there’s no such country as the West Indies – ruled the world. And they ruled imperiously, with style, with panache, with the sort of swagger that no other cricketers, no matter how talented they were, could hope to match.

It was called Calypso Cricket … and it was a wondrous thing.

Each victory was savoured and celebrated, and beating England, the former colonial masters of every cricket-playing Caribbean country, was the biggest source of joy."

http://www.thestar.com/sports/cricket/article/726574--calypso-cricket-fades-away

West Indian cricket has had a fabled history, and to choose a mere XI is a thankless task, but here is the XI with which I came up:-

Greenidge
Hunte
Richards (C)
Headley
Lara
Kanhai (WK)
Sobers
Marshall
Holding
Ambrose
Gibbs

And yes, you could name a 2nd XI that could beat them on any day including the likes of the 3 Ws, Kallicharran, Lloyd, Roberts, Hall etc

Rohan - echoing the Corporal, good post!

I particularly note your gracious admission in the final line that ''... yes, you could name a 2nd XI that could beat them on any day including the likes of the 3 Ws, Kallicharra, Lloyd, Roberts, Hall etc''.

One player you don't include or directly mention is Larry Gomes. I've bored regular posters here to tears over the last few months with my input on Gomes so don't see why I shouldn't cause you to shed one! Wink I don't claim Gomes was a great. He wasn't. However, he was the straightman to the great West Indian batting entertainers of the late 1970s and through the 1980s. On the few occasions they failed, he was immensely valuable and that was perhaps even more important. Any thoughts?

Btw, please feel free to add further to the posts on the 'All Out Cricket' thread since your original article and subsequent post. Any more input greatly valued and appreciated.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Mon 23 Jan 2012, 2:06 am

What about including Lawrence Rowe. He was the only West Indian cricketer who could whistle while he worked.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 24 Jan 2012, 12:44 pm

1) Greenidge
2) Haynes
3) Headley
4) Lara
5) Worrall (c)
6) Sobers
7) Dujon
8) Marshall
9) Holding
10) Ambrose
11) Gibbs

Haynes and Greenidge, from the outset, aren't necessarily among the top few batsmen the Windies have produced, but would you really want to break up arguably the best and most consistent opening partnership of them all? Worrall, to me, was a greater captain than Lloyd, and a marginally better player, too. Naturally, Richards could easily replace him, but Sobers, Lara and Headley just have to be in there, so Richards is my unlucky nearly man here.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 24 Jan 2012, 1:47 pm

Must admit I'm surprised by Sir Viv's omission, Chris. As much as it pains me to say it, I'd have Headley make way for the master blaster.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Tue 24 Jan 2012, 1:53 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Must admit I'm surprised by Sir Viv's omission, Chris. As much as it pains me to say it, I'd have Headley make way for the master blaster.

How about this then :-

1) Greenidge
2) Richards
3) Headley
4) Lara
5) Worrall (c)
6) Sobers
7) Walcott (keeper)
8) Marshall
9) Holding
10) Ambrose
11) Gibbs

(Viv Richards did open V Australia in that 1975 test series)

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 24 Jan 2012, 1:59 pm

A very decent alternative, despite my reservations about breaking the infamous Greenidge/Haynes partnership.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3