The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why all the hate for Scott Johnson?

2 posters

Go down

Why all the hate for Scott Johnson? Empty Why all the hate for Scott Johnson?

Post by bigballbag Mon 09 Jan 2012, 10:10 am

I think Jiffy should go back to Mumbles and get blotto and arrested because he clearly doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

The Ospreys won the league in 2010 AWAY at Leinster and during the last season have lost Byrne, Hook, Collins, Holah, Phillips & Henson, BUT STILL are floating around at the top of the table and are still the number 1 Welsh region.

We have also found a potential international star in Ashley Beck this season all because the youngsters are finally getting regular regional rugby.

Don't forget how good the French exodus is for the national team. All our best players playing in France and all our best youngsters getting regular rugby. Only makes for a stronger Wales team. With so many in the top 14 it's almost as like there are 18 teams for Welsh players to play in.

bigballbag

Back to top Go down

Why all the hate for Scott Johnson? Empty Re: Why all the hate for Scott Johnson?

Post by gowales Mon 09 Jan 2012, 4:56 pm

I agree i think people like to point the finger about too quickly. Considering the state the Ospreys were in when he came in he has done pretty well.

You look back to the 09-10 heineken cup when we played Biarritz in the semis, who would go on to become finalists and we could have easily won. It was all in the players hands and they didn't take it we can't really blame Johnson for that. 10-11 Heineken Cup we went to Toulon and lost in the final minutes, again the players choked and we were effectively out of the group because of that, again cant really blame Johnson for that. Then we went on to win the Magners league. A lot of people had high expectations for the Ospreys during the period when they had all those stars including myself, but the reality is they just never had the ability to win the tough games which you can't coach. And we see it with the national side whenever we play the SH teams.

The exodus has had a major impact and it will spread to the other regions as well. You look at the squad we have now and i can't honestly see how anyone expect that squad to win anything yet... Yet we are still around the top of the table which is very impressive.
There has been a major revamp of the ethos of bringing in youngsters which has been more out of necessity than anything else and this needs to be capitalised on. We need to instill the winning mindset into these guys and develop a real culture there. I fear however that it just isn't in Welsh players.

And one of the main things he was brought in to do was bring in some structures for the youth setups and so on. We can't really tell if they have worked yet but we will know in time.
As you've said Ashley Beck has come through very nicely during his reign and i suspect he has had a lot to do with his development, he always speaks highly of him.

gowales

Back to top Go down