The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys boss Scott Johnson hails Cardiff Blues 'Galacticos'

+5
manofgwent
PenfroPete
offload
maestegmafia
Shifty
9 posters

Go down

Ospreys boss Scott Johnson hails Cardiff Blues 'Galacticos' Empty Ospreys boss Scott Johnson hails Cardiff Blues 'Galacticos'

Post by Shifty Wed 28 Dec 2011, 10:48 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/16306702.stm

Scott Johnson hopes his "little minnow" Ospreys can "do something" against the Cardiff Blues "Galacticos" in the Pro12 Welsh derby on New Year's Day.

Johnson's side was called Welsh rugby's Galacticos when Mike Phillips, James Hook, Lee Byrne and Gavin Henson were alongside Shane Williams at Ospreys.

But following the high-profile Liberty Stadium exits, the Ospreys boss thinks the Blues are the new "superstars".

"The Galacticos will be formidable with their international stars," he said.

The 2009 Heineken Cup semi-finalists boast seven current Welsh internationals including captain Sam Warburton, new signing Henson and British and Irish Lions pair Jamie Roberts and Gethin Jenkins.

Continue reading the main story
We'll quite enjoy the landing of the Galacticos at the Liberty Stadium and we'll see if the minnows can do something
Scott Johnson
Ospreys director of rugby on Cardiff Blues' visit
Leigh Halfpenny and Bradley Davies are also Wales regulars, while Lloyd Williams and Alex Cuthbert are emerging Test talents that line-up alongside experienced former internationals Martyn Williams, Xavier Rush and Casey Laulala.

Ospreys, currently second in the Pro12 league, underwent a culture shift to get rid of their 'Galacticos' tag in the summer as Phillips, Hook and Byrne followed Jerry Collins, Marty Holah and Henson out of Liberty Stadium.

Director of coaching Johnson promoted Welsh-qualified players such as flanker Justin Tipuric, centre Ashley Beck and scrum-half Rhys Webb to play alongside top try-scorer Williams and Wales team-mates Ryan Jones, Alun Wyn Jones, Adam Jones and Ireland star Tommy Bowe on their World Cup return in Ospreys's first team.

Ospreys had seven players in the Welsh squad at the Rugby World Cup, while the Blues had just six but as Johnson points out: "When the internationals were at the World Cup, we didn't play any foreigners."

So the three-times Celtic League champions believe the Blues should be dubbed the 'Galacticos' of Welsh rugby.

"It will be interesting for us the little minnows to play against the superstars," Johnson told BBC Sport.

"We'll quite enjoy the landing of the Galacticos at the Liberty Stadium and we'll see if the minnows can do something.

"With all their superstars they can provide any threat right across the park.

WELSH PRO12 FESTIVE GAMES
Continue reading the main story
Dec 30: Dragons v Scarlets (1905 GMT, BBC)
Jan 1: Ospreys v Blues (1830 GMT, S4C)
Jan 6: Dragons v Ospreys (1905 GMT, BBC)
"They are very strong whether they bring in their A-class players or their AA-class players, it'll be interesting to see which team comes down.

"If they bring their AAA-class players they will be a pretty good team. They should come down pretty loaded but we'll be ready, willing and able."

Johnson is looking forward to former Ospreys star Henson's return to Liberty Stadium with the Blues after his seven-year stay ended in October 2010.

"It will be good to see Gavin back as he is a wonderful rugby player at his best," Johnson said.

"He is a talented kid and will be a formidable opponent."
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Ospreys boss Scott Johnson hails Cardiff Blues 'Galacticos' Empty Re: Ospreys boss Scott Johnson hails Cardiff Blues 'Galacticos'

Post by Shifty Wed 28 Dec 2011, 10:49 am

Bearing in mind they got stuffed 50 points away at Leinster and got stuffed at home to Glasgow, you wonder why he is bothering to try and get under their skin. Might of been better just to keep his mouth shut and try and beat them!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Ospreys boss Scott Johnson hails Cardiff Blues 'Galacticos' Empty Re: Ospreys boss Scott Johnson hails Cardiff Blues 'Galacticos'

Post by maestegmafia Wed 28 Dec 2011, 10:52 am

Interesting to see what kind of reception Gavin Henson will get at the Liberty for the first time since his sabbatical.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Wed 28 Dec 2011, 10:59 am

AlynDavies wrote:Bearing in mind they got stuffed 50 points away at Leinster and got stuffed at home to Glasgow, you wonder why he is bothering to try and get under their skin. Might of been better just to keep his mouth shut and try and beat them!

Keeping mouth shut just doesn't work for SJ. He's a complete prat, the sooner he leaves Wales the better.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 28 Dec 2011, 11:52 am

maestegmafia wrote:Interesting to see what kind of reception Gavin Henson will get at the Liberty for the first time since his sabbatical.
He will be warmly recieved I think, they always liked him, they just didn't want him back! laughing
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Wed 28 Dec 2011, 11:56 am

What a 'door handle' Rolling Eyes
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Wed 28 Dec 2011, 1:13 pm

Scott johnson has failed at the O's. Last season he called the dragons "a mob". After HIS galacticos were stuffed by the dragons. The regions have completely turned around and to be honest there isn't much between the scarlets, ospreys and blues. The only person who would believe the galacticos tag is Ceri Sweeney!
Johnson is a man under pressure. The O's are only in with a chance of the Pro 12 now.and when you consider the talent they still have, he's failed.
Isn't Scottish rugby in a big enough state, without the big nosed one turning up. God help em.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 28 Dec 2011, 6:53 pm

I really dislike SJ and cant wait to see him gone from Welsh rugby

What a stupid petulant and idiotic comment to make after the press branded his team the Galacticos.

*whiny child's voice* "No...your it!"
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 28 Dec 2011, 9:13 pm

I must admit I read this had a chuckle and thought hear he goes again.

He quoted the Blues as being the Galaticos with all their international players, well he really ought to do his research first.

If the Os field same side that played the Scarlets they will field 12 starting internationals.

If the Blues field the same side that beat us then they will field 11 starting international.

Now even by my rudamental maths knowledge I can see the Os still fielding more capped players that the Blues.

Oh well never mind Scott I hear the education system in Scotland is very good indeed.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Wed 28 Dec 2011, 9:49 pm

I'd imagine he'll really get under the skin of the Blues coaches!
Let's hope the "little minnows" can make a game of it!
Have the bookies given the underdogs a head start on the handicap???
Johnson makes Gatland look like a genius at mind games!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 29 Dec 2011, 12:16 am

He's such an idiot and when he says "When the internationals were at the World Cup, we didn't play any foreigners." he fails to realise that the Ospreys had D Jones, M Davies, I Evans, I Gough, J Thomas, D Biggar, Bishop, Prydie, Phillips (I know these two may not have played for the O's in that time), B Davies are all internationals - and that's just off the top of my head, besides the players that went to this WC and rising stars like Tupric and Webb - I can't imagine that any of the other regions have as many internationals past and present as the Ospreys even if they haven't got the big names of Hook, Henson and Byrne

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 29 Dec 2011, 12:17 am

PenfroPete wrote:What a 'door handle' Rolling Eyes

Nice sidestep around the swear filter - and what a perfect description of SJ Laugh

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Thu 29 Dec 2011, 3:14 am

I can't think why SJ would come out with comments like this.
It is neither subtle or intelligent. I suspect even Andy Robinson will be cringing.

Maybe he is still popular with the players but as a PR man Penfro has hit the nail on the head!

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 29 Dec 2011, 1:07 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:I can't think why SJ would come out with comments like this.
It is neither subtle or intelligent. I suspect even Andy Robinson will be cringing.

Maybe he is still popular with the players but as a PR man Penfro has hit the nail on the head!

SJ probably came out with comments like this because HE is neith subtle or intelligent!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down