The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South Africa v Sri Lanka 2nd Test at Durban

+13
Duty281
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Demon Racer
Pal Joey
Stellar Key
LondonTiger
alfie
Shelsey93
msp83
Corporalhumblebucket
KingProtea
Biltong
skyeman
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

South Africa v Sri Lanka 2nd Test at Durban - Page 2 Empty South Africa v Sri Lanka 2nd Test at Durban

Post by skyeman Mon 26 Dec 2011, 7:52 am

First topic message reminder :

Marchant de Lange is debuting for South Africa, in place of Philnder.

Dinesh Chandimal will be making his debut in place of Kaushal Silva.

Weather: Sunny, lovely summer's day.

Pitch: Hard and bouncy.

SL win toss and will bat. Brave from Dilshan, even though SA would have probably chose to bat first.

Teams:

SA: GC Smith(c), JA Rudolph, HM Amla, JH Kallis, AB de Villiers, AG Prince, MV Boucher(w), M de Lange, DW Steyn, Imran Tahir, M Morkel.

SL: TM Dilshan(c), NT Paranavitana, KC Sangakkara, DPMD Jayawardene, TT Samaraweera, AD Mathews, LD Chandimal(w), HMRKB Herath, NLTC Perera, UWMBCA Welegedara, CRD Fernando.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

South Africa v Sri Lanka 2nd Test at Durban - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa v Sri Lanka 2nd Test at Durban

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 28 Dec 2011, 12:24 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:65 - 3 at lunch - lead 235. Sangakkara in and probably due a decent innings. Samaraweera in good form after the first innings. Sri Lanka could do with this partnership taking the lead past 300.
...which they have now done. Taking the match well away from SA.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

South Africa v Sri Lanka 2nd Test at Durban - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa v Sri Lanka 2nd Test at Durban

Post by alfie Wed 28 Dec 2011, 12:38 pm

5 down now...but that lead is probably too big already.

And Sangakkara may have a few more in him yet ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 28 Dec 2011, 1:42 pm

Sangakkara gets his 100. 207/5 at tea. SL now lead by 377.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Dec 2011, 7:42 pm

i hope rudolph finds his form...although sadly i feel that he is one of those players who are class at f/c level and struggle to make the step up, just like the likes of ramps and hick etc

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Wed 28 Dec 2011, 8:38 pm

Been working over the Christmas period and today was thefirst day I caught some of this match. I've been very disappointed with South Africa. Steyn hasn't really been at the races. Morkel is still all over the place. Tahir isn't very reliable. The only positive, thus far, has been Marchant de Lange. A quite brilliant debut by the youngster. I hope the Pro is fit for the final Test, as Morkel needs o go back to F/C to work on is bowlng.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 29 Dec 2011, 2:58 am

Think Rudolph has the second innings to save his Test career...I don't fancy his chances.
Surely SA can find someone a bit more reliable to join Smith at the top of the order?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 29 Dec 2011, 7:52 am

South Africa, would surely be No1 right now if their home form was better.

The last time they won a home Test series was in 2008, against Bangladesh. Of greater significance, is that the last time South Africa won a Test series at home against a team ranked in the top five, was in 2007 against Pakistan, who were then at No. 3.

With SA looking likely to lose this Test, the trend may well continue unless they can pull off a victory in the third Test.

I just can not understand the inconsistency when they have such telented cricketers.

SL 276-9, a lead of 446. Steyn with another 5-for.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 29 Dec 2011, 11:09 am

SA lose their 3rd wicket. Kallis got a pair - and took 0 - 67 in the two SL innings. Anyone can have a bad match - but is this a sign that his batting as well as the bowling is approaching retirement....?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 29 Dec 2011, 11:46 am

SA 116 - 4 needing another 334 to win. Amla run out....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 29 Dec 2011, 12:16 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:SA 116 - 4 needing another 334 to win. Amla run out....

SA narrowly missed my favourite score (123 for 5 - say it out loud Wink ), 125/5 means SA need rain.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 29 Dec 2011, 12:23 pm

If SL wins... do they overtake Pakistan again? I think they're 6th and Pakistan is currently 5th.

It's too heavy for me to watch this match after today's India-Oz game. Kepler & Co. going through all the 'what next to do with the SA team'... sounds too familiar and depressing for me to listen to. Either that or I'm too tired...

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 29 Dec 2011, 12:43 pm

Linebreaker wrote:If SL wins... do they overtake Pakistan again? I think they're 6th and Pakistan is currently 5th.

It's too heavy for me to watch this match after today's India-Oz game. Kepler & Co. going through all the 'what next to do with the SA team'... sounds too familiar and depressing for me to listen to. Either that or I'm too tired...

Laugh Laugh They do sound to be all doom and gloom.

Aus have and SL (should) beaten the No2 and No3 ranked teams in the world, you should be happy, I know I am being an Englisman. Very Happy Let's hope Pakistan don't do a similar thing. Can not see it though, England have been very consistent.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 29 Dec 2011, 12:53 pm

Yeah, I'm happy skye... but the supersport guys have been on about it for hours now. Laugh
What's the deal with Prince? I know he had a few injuries and fell in and out of favour... but surely he is past 'it' now?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 29 Dec 2011, 2:03 pm

Is England's biggest challenger to NO.1 still South Africa, bearing in mind they're being demolished at home by Sri Lanka?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 29 Dec 2011, 2:03 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:SA lose their 3rd wicket. Kallis got a pair - and took 0 - 67 in the two SL innings. Anyone can have a bad match - but is this a sign that his batting as well as the bowling is approaching retirement....?

Not so sure, Corporal. I think his bowling has been below par for some time now, but thought he looked impressive against Australia with the bat, without really getting a big score. I guess we will have to wait and see his next few performances.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 29 Dec 2011, 2:04 pm

Duty281 wrote:Is England's biggest challenger to NO.1 still South Africa, bearing in mind they're being demolished at home by Sri Lanka?

Who knows, could be the reformed Aussies! They're looking good at the moment, though they do have a tendency to show inconsistency from time to time. Still, a vast improvement from their shambolic displays 12 months ago, albeit against a superb and rampant England side.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 29 Dec 2011, 2:53 pm

Both SA and Australia have been hugely inconsistent lately...with India struggling one might be tempted to suggest England look pretty safe at the top for now ...

...that is if one weren't strictly sworn not to Tempt Fate , especially with a lot of matches in Asia coming up this year. Smile

It does seem that any of half a dozen teams can beat the others on their day at the moment , which is making following Test cricket very interesting.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 29 Dec 2011, 3:28 pm

clap clap clap On their first Test win in SA. Quite an ending with the wickets tumbling after DV and Steyn's 99 partnership. Especially important was Herath's 5-for, with heavy rain expected for tomorrow.

SL first win since Muralitharan's retirement, with the thrashing of SA Very Happy

3rd Test result? Who knows.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by activereactive Thu 29 Dec 2011, 3:30 pm

What a come back by SL.!!

activereactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 29 Dec 2011, 3:38 pm

Well done to Sri Lanka, perhaps the toss helped, but Steyn was off in the first innings, tahir should not play in the next test, and our batsmen have been rather inconsistent thus far ths summer.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 29 Dec 2011, 3:44 pm

biltongbek wrote:Well done to Sri Lanka, perhaps the toss helped, but Steyn was off in the first innings, tahir should not play in the next test, and our batsmen have been rather inconsistent thus far ths summer.

Is the dog safely out of reach Biltong? Or does he only run for the hills when there's a kiwi umpire/referee Wink

Good win for Sri Lanka, South Africa's poor batting in the 1st innings sealed things

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 29 Dec 2011, 3:51 pm

Haha, hi Kiwi, before you guys banned greyghost he phoned the SPCA, so the dog is safely with them, probably has another owner by now. Wink

I only get wound up when the springboks play, I don't mind losing when all is fair and above board.

Sri Lanka deserved that win and I am happy for them, especially Sangakkara and Samaraweera with their centuries.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 30 Dec 2011, 7:05 am

Think the spineless SA batting needs an overhaul - the top order is too brittle and the lower middle order non-existant, seems they can only win when the bowlers knock the opposition over for nothing - 3 innings now against a mediocre attack with not a single century though de Villiers did come close. Prince & Boucher should go.

@ biltongbek - you shouldn't take your frustrations out on your dog, when I get p'd off I go to the pet shop & punch kittens really hard in their faces, it's best to make sure that children are watching.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 30 Dec 2011, 7:56 am

Galted I think a fair few of the batsmen should be sent packing.

Jacques Rudolph never managed to achieve even an acceptable standard in his first stint as international batsman, his second stint is even worse. I said this before he came back that it is too late to bring him back, even if he did succeed how long would he stil be able to play anyway.

Ashwell Prince has never been the same since he lost his position to JP Duminy after he got injured.

Boucher is still a decent wicket keeper but because we are having problems with our batting form it highlights the necessity of a batting wicket keeper.

There is Heino Kuhn who is fast becoming older and older because they don't want to get rid of Boucher.

where has Colin Ingram gone to?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 30 Dec 2011, 8:07 am

Agree about Rudolph, though he has got enough starts just doesn't seem to make any telling contributions. Boucher is still a decent keeper but I get the impression he's only in the team to extend his world record for dismissals - I'm not very clued up on domestic cricket but have heard that the Cobras keeper is also pretty good. Don't know much about Ingram, thought he was more a one-day player?

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 30 Dec 2011, 8:11 am

South Africa has to act, and act quickly. For years now, they haven't found a decent opening partner to Graeme Smith. May be after Gibbs was done as a test player, they have been struggling in that prticular department. Of the lot, Petersen did look decent, and I thought his axing was a touch too swift. He's there in the side, and I think he should get the go in the next game ahead of Rudolph.
Who is the next big thing in the South African batting line? Duminy? Ingram? Some body has to be found for that number 6 position, and it has to be done soon.
Mark Boucher is a decent keeper, but his batting has become far too inconsistent and its time he goes. They have to find a wicket keeper who can bat, and it has to be done soon, again. Unfortunately, there is no replacement named for Boucher for the next match. But who is in line? Kuhn? Morne van wick? What about Davy Jacobs? Found him to be a fine T-20 batsman and a thinking cricketer. How about his keeping skills?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Fri 30 Dec 2011, 1:40 pm

biltongbek wrote:Galted I think a fair few of the batsmen should be sent packing.

Jacques Rudolph never managed to achieve even an acceptable standard in his first stint as international batsman, his second stint is even worse. I said this before he came back that it is too late to bring him back, even if he did succeed how long would he stil be able to play anyway.

Ashwell Prince has never been the same since he lost his position to JP Duminy after he got injured.

Boucher is still a decent wicket keeper but because we are having problems with our batting form it highlights the necessity of a batting wicket keeper.

There is Heino Kuhn who is fast becoming older and older because they don't want to get rid of Boucher.

where has Colin Ingram gone to?
I think Kuhn has to come in quickly Biltong. His batting record is mighty. He's a top keeper.

Ingram could be worst ago, his F/C is pretty poor(33-34) but he's in top form this season. He scored 140 and 92* in his last match.

I think Prince should be omitted, He's not getting any younger.

Maybe move Rudolph down the order, his talent is undeniable.

I'd like Rilee Rossouw to open.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sat 31 Dec 2011, 10:24 am

The South African squad for the 3rd Test is largely unchanged - Smith, Rudolph, Amla, Kallis, de Villiers, Prince, Petersen, Boucher, Philander, Steyn, Morkel, Tahir, de Lange

I personally feel that there are a number of issues for them to consider:

- Rudolph not really going on despite some starts at the top of the order
- Prince's poor record over quite an extended period now
- Concerns that Boucher might not be scoring enough runs
- Tahir's average start in Test cricket
- Which fast bowlers to pick

In my opinion of all of these it is Prince whose place should be most in jeopardy. After scoring 150 v Australia in March '09 on his comeback from a long injury lay-off his scores are:

Home v England 2009/10 - 45 and 0, 2 and 16, 0 and 15, 19
Away v India 2009/10 - 0, 1 and 23
Away v West Indies 2010 - 57 and 16*, 9, 78*
Away v Pakistan 2010/11 - 1, 32 and 47*
Home v India 2010/11 - DNB, 13 and 39*, 47 and 22
Home v Australia 2011/12 - 0, 50 and 2
Home v Sri Lanka 2011/12 - 39, 11 and 7

This makes 50 his highest Test score in around 18 months and no hundred for the best part of 3 years. I would drop Rudolph down to Prince's number six slot where he has more experience and give him at least another few Tests on the basis of his very strong First Class record in recent years both in South Africa and for Yorkshire. This would allow Petersen to fill the opening birth again after some good domestic form.

On the bowling front I would warn South Africa against going about this dilemma the easy way - picking 4 quicks and leaving Tahir out as he is the easiest to drop. I still think that Tahir could be very useful to SA and so would stick with him, like Rudolph, for another few games to see what he can do. In terms of the quicks I don't think Morkel's form has been so bad to justify him being dropped and still think that he forms a very strong new ball pair with Steyn. Therefore, provided Philander is fit I would take the tough call to leave out de Lange - he showed promise at Durban but I wouldn't say he looked the finished article yet and still feel that Steyn, Morkel, Philander is the strongest pace attack that SA can put out.

I am also very much in favour of retaining Mark Boucher. People forget that he is quite possibly the best 'keeper in international cricket and his statistics (world record number of dismissals) illustrate this. Even if his batting isn't quite as reliable as that of Prior or Dhoni he still offers very useful contributions and I just wish people would get off his back - in recent years it seems that people want Boucher out after every Test that SA lose.

My SA team for Cape Town: Smith, Petersen, Amla, Kallis, de Villiers, Rudolph, Boucher, Philander, Steyn, Morkel, Tahir

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sat 31 Dec 2011, 10:36 am

Pick Paul Harris over Tahir.Tahir is not averaging any lower than Harris(he is averaging higher) and he is not offering his captain half the control that Harris would.I would think of picking Tahir as an attacking option in the subcontinent but in SA with pitches suiting seamers and with seamers performing so well it would be better to pick a containing spinner who doesnt leak 4 runs an over Very Happy

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2