The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings

+10
George Carlin
tigerscity
beshocked
bluestonevedder
rodders
Cumbrian
Sgt_Pooly
Mr Bounce
Geordie
LondonTiger
14 posters

Go down

Who should play on the wings for England v Scotland in 6Ns

606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings Vote_lcap2%606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings Vote_lcap37%606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings Vote_rcap 37% 
[ 30 ]
606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings Vote_lcap1%606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings Vote_lcap2%606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings Vote_lcap7%606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 6 ]
606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings Vote_lcap4%606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 3 ]
[ 2 ]
606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings Vote_lcap24%606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 20 ]
606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings Vote_lcap5%606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 4 ]
[ 2 ]
606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings Vote_lcap0%606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings Vote_lcap0%606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 2 ]
606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings Vote_lcap10%606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 82

Poll closed

606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings Empty 606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings

Post by LondonTiger Fri 23 Dec 2011, 9:32 am

We have a pack.
We have half backs.
We have a Full back.

Lets go get some wingers. Love him, or loathe him Chris Ashton should get one spot - but who will take over the wing vacated by Mark Cueto? Might it be an "older" player like JSD or Monye? Might it be a young tyro like Sharples or Short (both though having seen a recent dip in form)? Or what about the young Quins guys?
This list will be long - can 606 pick the wheat from the chaff?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings Empty Re: 606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings

Post by Geordie Fri 23 Dec 2011, 9:57 am

If Wade is still performing well...then i'd give him a shot...has that spark like Jason Robinson did....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings Empty Re: 606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 23 Dec 2011, 9:59 am

Ashton is bolted on provided he doesn't do anything else stupid. Have gone for a wild card and selected Ojo - he's been playing well and should have been in the EPS but for those in the RFU who were still punishing him for his misdemeanours a few years ago.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 23 Dec 2011, 10:00 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:If Wade is still performing well...then i'd give him a shot...has that spark like Jason Robinson did....

Damn, knew I forgot a club - sorry Wasps fans. If you want Christian Wade (- or Tom Varndell), then choose Other and make a post.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 23 Dec 2011, 10:00 am

Mr Bounce wrote:Ashton is bolted on provided he doesn't do anything else stupid. Have gone for a wild card and selected Ojo - he's been playing well and should have been in the EPS but for those in the RFU who were still punishing him for his misdemeanours a few years ago.

And he has been injured rather a lot - and not scoring many tries.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 23 Dec 2011, 10:30 am

I'd always worry about JSD's defence at the top level, has to be Ashton/Sharples

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri 23 Dec 2011, 10:40 am

Went for Ashton and Charle Sharples.

There is going to be some very good competition in the next few years. For instance, I was tempted to select Jonny May. The lad is lightning quick, but he also seems to have the knack of making things happen. He also seems supremely confident (without being an arse), something England have missed. Then you look at Wade, the top try scorer in a team which often struggles for forward dominance. Genuinely looking forward to seeing how the next few years pan-out.

Edit: I think you mean James Short rather than Peter Short.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 23 Dec 2011, 10:50 am

Cumbrian wrote:Edit: I think you mean James Short rather than Peter Short.

Oops Smile

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 23 Dec 2011, 10:57 am

CUmbrian,

Your right we are lucky to have a number of quality wingers about....and i think is one reason why Cueto needs to be moved on now...

And Tiger...at least Peter Short might have more effect than Banahan....on the crash ball Very Happy

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Fri 23 Dec 2011, 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 23 Dec 2011, 11:04 am

Poor old JSD...best outside back England have produced since Gusgott but he's forever the bridesmaid and never the bride..... 606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings 767733566
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Fri 23 Dec 2011, 11:12 am

I went for Ashton and Sharples. Sharples primarily because of last season's merits, but think he could really add something to the England side.

Miles Benjamin is an interesting one, and would like to see him feature at some point. More of a bruising winger though, but again, a nice future option.

Wade is a phenomenal player and I hope to see him in or around the EPS come the 6N.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 23 Dec 2011, 11:14 am

Interesting nothing so far for Strettle/Monye......how times change!

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 23 Dec 2011, 11:25 am

I think i also must hold my hand up and admit i was wrong about Banahan.

I genuinely thought he could have made it at international level....but good club player as he is i guess he's not quite going to make it....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 23 Dec 2011, 11:26 am

Missed Banners, still think he could make a very good centre but he lacks the extra inch for a International winger

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 23 Dec 2011, 11:32 am

Real tough choice - one of Strettle,Sharples or Peter Short Wink

Went for Peter Short in the end. Laugh

Obviously Ashton's spot is nailed on.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Fri 23 Dec 2011, 11:33 am

Banners did have a few promising moments in an England shirt, so I don't think we'll have seen the last of him.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 23 Dec 2011, 11:38 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:I think i also must hold my hand up and admit i was wrong about Banahan.

Plenty thought he may be a future star for England when he was the form winger in the GP for Bath, and performing well in Europe. I thought he could make it at centre - but I reckon I was wrong.

What this highlights for me is that there is no guarantee that those players who perform well at club level will make the step up to the international game. This is one of the reeasons why I am nervous about mass promotions of form players ahead of proven class. I would draw comparison with English cricket - for so much of my time following the game, England would draft in the latest form player to see them crash and burn. Duncan Fletcher changed that and started to build an England team - promoting players on character and giving them a decent run. Once in the team contenders have to be clearly better to take the incumbents spot.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerscity Fri 23 Dec 2011, 12:30 pm

Christian Wade

tigerscity

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 23 Dec 2011, 12:58 pm

roddersm wrote:Poor old JSD...best outside back England have produced since Gusgott but he's forever the bridesmaid and never the bride..... 606 Picks the England Team to Play Scotland in 6Ns - Wings 767733566
Without question, he is the Matt LeTissier of the England squad.

Occasionally brilliant, can utterly disappear at times and defensively is liable to cr@p in the salad.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 23 Dec 2011, 1:05 pm

Ok heres a question....

You have a player who is offensively awesome...maybe a Varndell etc...but utterly attrocious defensively....maybe a Varndell...

Do you sod it his offensive ability is simply sublime and adapt your defensive strategy to cover him....or pick some with a better defensive ability.....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 23 Dec 2011, 1:09 pm

I don't think you afford to have that luxury in international rugby GF...Cooper seems to be the exception but that guy is a genius.

There is no excuse for poor defence.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri 23 Dec 2011, 2:44 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Ok heres a question....

You have a player who is offensively awesome...maybe a Varndell etc...but utterly attrocious defensively....maybe a Varndell...

Do you sod it his offensive ability is simply sublime and adapt your defensive strategy to cover him....or pick some with a better defensive ability.....
No - very few players ever have been good enough at international level to get away with atrocious defense. No point having one player in the team who can instantly undo any good work the other fourteen have done on a regular basis. Also there is nothing worse as a fan as watching your team knowing that 'xxxxxx' is about to make his customary mistake at any moment

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 23 Dec 2011, 2:48 pm

B91212 wrote:

No - very few players ever have been good enough at international level to get away with atrocious defense. No point having one player in the team who can instantly undo any good work the other fourteen have done on a regular basis. Also there is nothing worse as a fan as watching your team knowing that 'xxxxxx' is about to make his customary mistake at any moment

B91212 I thought you must be referring to Cipriani. The amount of chargedowns.... 4 in a row in internationals. Must be a record. Oh and his defence is pretty awful these days.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri 23 Dec 2011, 3:04 pm

Voted Ashton and Sharples. Would have voted JSD over Sharples if not for his age - thought in the first match against Connacht (didn't see the return game) that he showed his true class. A truly gifted player whose international chances were wrecked by injury and poor selection / management.

Of the other main contenters (well, those who I think are anyway) -

Wade - give him a year with Wasps and the Saxons and if he keeps his form then take him on the summer tour.

Strettle - Although unlucky with injuries I just don't think his defefense is good enough for International rugby. Sometimes wonder if it is good enough for Europe / top AP games.

Monye - Would be an very handy player if he could play heads up (whats in front of him) rugby. At 28 I can't see him improving in this area now.

Short (Peter) laughing - Now Beshocked please correct me if I'm wrong but am a bit unconvinced by him. Seems to try and find contact too much for me with ball in hand - I know he is more of a crash ball winger (with very good leg strength) but doesn't seem to create much of a threat. Maybe one of the future though and defense always looks good.

Ojo - Wouldn't mind him in the EPS but to be honest not sure he would be as effective at the very top level. He's not really had the chance to proove me wrong though.

Benjamin - Good potential. Big and strong but also with plenty of pace and seems to run good lines as well. No offense to Warriors fans but think he may need to move to a team playing in Europe and test himself at that level before being considered (although I do really admire his commitment to Worcester).

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri 23 Dec 2011, 3:05 pm

beshocked wrote:
B91212 wrote:

B91212 I thought you must be referring to Cipriani. The amount of chargedowns.... 4 in a row in internationals. Must be a record. Oh and his defence is pretty awful these days.
Varndell, Cipriani - same goes for either of them really. The thought of both playing for England in the near future scares the crap out of me Shocked

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 23 Dec 2011, 5:30 pm

Instead of having runners up in back 3 positions etc being the substitutes, can we have a separate vote for the bench?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by hawalsh Fri 23 Dec 2011, 6:01 pm

At the end of last season, in addition to Ashton I wouldn't have hesitated to select Sharples, with Short as back up, but both have had a pretty underwhelming season so far. Something the stats confirm. I'd seriously consider taking an early chance on the more in form Wade, May or centre/wing Joseph (if he comes back from injury soon).

Sharples/Short/Wade

Matches 9/10/10
Tries 2/2/7
Try Assists 0/0/2
Kicks From Hand 14/1/11
Passes 18/9/22
Carries 46/48/64
Metres Carried 322/384/566
Clean Breaks 4/7/9
Offloads 1/1/1
Defenders Beaten 9/14/22
Tackles 28/21/26
Tackles Missed 6/12/7
Penalties Conceded 1/2/2
Turnovers Conceded 8/6/9

hawalsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 23 Dec 2011, 6:19 pm

I agree in principle that both Short & Sharples haven't been great after seriously impressing last season but defences tend to "wise up" to players and I think Wade need more than half a dozen games at AP level to see how he adapts.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by hawalsh Fri 23 Dec 2011, 6:44 pm

I'd generally agree Sgt_Pooly, I like players to have at least a whole season under their belt before considering them, but think that given no other players are really standing out, that Wade did well at the end of last season, has had 14 games this, performing well in the AP & Amlin in a less than stellar Wasps, as well as doing well at England age grade this year, I think I'd take a chance on him in the EPS, and if he looks in better shape than Sharples or Short in training, seriously consider giving him a start.

hawalsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Meflanker Fri 23 Dec 2011, 7:02 pm

I've gone for Ashton and then Wade, the guy is electric, every time he gets the ball i want to see what he is going to do and who he is going to make look stupid. I reckon we should get him involved now and let him do his thing, he is top try scorer in the prem for a reason and he is solid enough in defence as well.

Meflanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down