The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Suggestion on Restructuring the Welsh Premiership

5 posters

Go down

A Suggestion on Restructuring the Welsh Premiership  Empty A Suggestion on Restructuring the Welsh Premiership

Post by JayMaster3000 Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:24 am

With so much talk on the forum about Cardiff Arms Park and poor attendances at regional games I thought I would add some fire with an article I wrote to Rugby World when I was in hospital with a bad appendix.

With all the talk of the regions alienating the clubs I thought this could ease some issues. I really feel that it just wouldn't help Welsh rugby it would also help the Premiership regain the prestige it use to have, and perhaps help regional support, if they worked together.

To whom it may concern

In the most recent issue of Rugby World, Ireland edition, Tom Shanklin, former Wales and Lions centre, stated that it is his belief that, “The only way the Northern Hemisphere will catch up with the Southern Hemisphere is by having Summer rugby”, an opinion echoed by current Cardiff Blues centre, and former partner to Shanklin, Casey Laulala. It appears that Shanklin holds a similar opinion to myself. Shanklin suggests that, “Playing week in and week out in good conditions with less rain means players are going to run more and the quality of rugby will be better”, while also suggesting that from a fans prospective, “nicer weather means better events.” Of course the effects would not be seen for a few years, a fact that Shanklin admits: “it wouldn't be a case of having Summer rugby and all of a sudden the play would be brilliant” but as I believe , “in the end you'd get a far better quality sport”.

In my experience of playing in Ireland, Wales and New Zealand I would argue that this model wouldn't work everywhere but would most certainty, I feel, would work in Wales. Though I agree with Shanklin's opinion, I wouldn't go as far as suggesting to move all Northern Hemisphere rugby to the Summer, only the Welsh Premiership. I argue that integration, and cross border competition, of the different tiers is the best means to advance playing standards, with prime examples being New Zealand and South African models.

Both New Zealand and South Africa use spilt seasons to integrate the tiers and up playing standards. So for example, in New Zealand while Super Rugby (April/May-June) is being played the domestic season in New Zealand(February/March-July/August) is under way, not the NPC but the different Union's domestic leagues. After the Super Rugby Season has finished you would find a lot of these players, if not selected for the All Blacks, going back to their home clubs and playing the end of the club season. After this the different Unions select players from their domestic and Super Rugby Teams to form their Provincial teams(July/August-September/October), which from time to time have All Black players playing. This is a lot of integration on a yearly cycle that allows for a lot of growth for players in grass root rugby right up to the All Blacks.

This model is very close to the South African model, and it is this model I would argue best suits Wales. Unlike Ireland and England, were you would find all the best talent getting nurtured in the All Ireland League, the RFU Championship or the English Premiership 2nds league, Wales is not using the rich heritage of the clubs to its full potential to grow talent.

My suggestion is move the Welsh Premiership to the Summer, while allowing all other rugby to continue. The first step has been taken, cutting the teams in the league to ten. My suggestion relies heavily on the regions releasing all Academy products and Fringe players to play in the Premiership window with local clubs players, and if allowing, regional or international players, but this is not hugely important, as fringe/academy players learn from the regions who in turn pass it to the Premiership sides.

The next step of the integration phase that needs to be considered is the Premiership players who have been learning from the regional players in the Premiership. Pontypridd have players from numerous sides all across the valleys, such as Beddau. In this model any player from a Premiership side, such as Pontypridd, is free to play for their local club outside of the Premiership window. However the Irish player management programme needs to be mirrored so that players are fit and able to play in the Premiership, or if needed their region. In this model common sense needs to be addressed, so perhaps the WRU can appoint a Premiership players' manager who ensures players don't play too much rugby over the year.

This system allows for all four tiers of Welsh rugby, International, Regional, Premiership and club to rub shoulders and learn from one another. As I mentioned above already I believe that integration of the tiers and cross border competition is the key to growth. In my suggestion the main playing window for the Welsh Premiership would be played from March-April to August/September, however the British and Irish Cup, and any Welsh cup games would be still be contested for. Meaning that there would be additional cross border games in the November and February/March windows. This would lead to fresh teams playing in the B&I cup and no need to worry about player burn out before the Premiership window, presuming the managers are doing their jobs and actually looking after player welfare.

One of my last two last points are the advantages of the Premiership being during the Summer. As Tom Shanklin suggests it would allow for a good environment that would encourage running attacking rugby while also allowing for a good set of basic skills to develop. A further advantage would be that the Regions no longer have to compete with the Premiership clubs for attendance figures, and, more importantly, the Premiership would be given it's own stand alone window that would allow it to take centre stage. With some smart marketing, in terms of ticket prices, events and a T.V. deal for a weekly televised match, attendance may grow again in the Premiership. If not Wales still have a breeding ground for young players coming through.

My last point is that if the WRU ever decides to make the Premiership fully professional through central funding, or other means, the professional players of the Premiership, in this model, become grass root rugby coaches. These fully pro players who play during the Summer, and their clubs during the Winter, would all be passed through the basic coaching badges, so that they would be able to go to local schools or clubs to develop the game even further. Of course not all players are good coaches, but those few players who make good coaches, who are unable to break through to a regional contract, then become the next generation of Welsh coaching talent.

In summary the potential of the Welsh Premiership cannot be ignored. Wales, I believe, have the player base, the support and the finances to support a Summer window Premiership that would create a solid set of core skills, encourage attacking rugby and allow the Premiership to take centre stage while not threatening the regions. With this breeding ground of young Welsh talent feeding into the Regions, and then to the international team, it is my belief that Welsh rugby would prosper in an environment it is starting to slip in; not because of lack of talent but because Wales have chosen not to use the Welsh Premiership to its full potential.

JayMaster3000

Back to top Go down

A Suggestion on Restructuring the Welsh Premiership  Empty Re: A Suggestion on Restructuring the Welsh Premiership

Post by GavinDragon Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:18 pm

you make some very good points and apologies for a brief response to what is a considered arguement, but the scale of change that you are proposing is beyond the realm of comprehension for most in welsh rugby. Such a drastic, radical change would require a period of mediocrity throughout welsh rugby (including internationals) on par with the late nineties early noughties.....

some good points although i feel you underestimate the nature of the beast that you are dealing with when you are considering change and welsh rugby....

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

A Suggestion on Restructuring the Welsh Premiership  Empty Re: A Suggestion on Restructuring the Welsh Premiership

Post by geoff998rugby Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:50 pm

"Unlike Ireland...., were you would find all the best talent getting nurtured in the All Ireland League"

Don't think this is true.

The best school talent tends to get into the Provincial Academy and then gets assigned to club teams rather than developing through the club teams.
Certaintly true in Ulster and I suspect in the other Provinces.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:04 pm

Did they print it?

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:37 pm

The AIL is mearly a stepping stone between under age plus the academys and the provincal teams themsevles, that and recovering from injury.
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by JayMaster3000 Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:03 am

I have to admit it is a bit radical but I really feel that the WP could be similar to the NPC or Currie Cup if it had it's own stand alone window. We would all see a return of running rugby, prestige and a better quality of players that would improve Regional and International rugby as players fed through. I'm not sure if a period of mediocrity would appear. But if it did surly this option would be better than letting the WP decay and go to waste.

I have to disagree with you Geoff998rugby. Without getting to far of the point, when I was playing for Hinch we had scores of guys that went through. Just look at players like Jerry Cronin and James Simpson, all their success has come through Ballynahinch.

Not sure if they printed it. I emailed it, but never checked.

JayMaster3000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down