The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England Captain - Six Nations

+6
robshaw4england
formerly known as Sam
doctor_grey
B91212
Geordie
tom_watson
10 posters

Go down

England Captain for six nations?

England Captain - Six Nations Vote_lcap53%England Captain - Six Nations Vote_rcap 53% 
[ 16 ]
England Captain - Six Nations Vote_lcap47%England Captain - Six Nations Vote_rcap 47% 
[ 14 ]

Total Votes : 30

England Captain - Six Nations Empty England Captain - Six Nations

Post by tom_watson Fri 16 Dec 2011, 3:51 pm

As the six nations draws closer, it has become clear that the selection of the England captain is now between just two players. Chris Robshaw of Harlequins and Tom Wood of Northampton.

Robshaw has one solitary cap for England, against Argentina in June 2009, and has been on the fringes of the EPS Squad for around 3 to 4 years now. Some argue that it is a travesty that Robshaw has only won a single cap, he is the hardest working flanker in the premiership, with a high tackle count, and a high ball carrying rate. He is powerful at the breakdown and is a very good link-man. Robshaw reminds me of Richard Hill, and I personally feel he could be as good as the legendary Hill himself, he just needs exposing at the highest level. Robshaw is the current Quins captain, and had led them to 13 defeats out of 13 until last weekends game against Toulouse. Tipped by Will Greenwood, Conor O'Shea, Will Carling, Nick Easter, Mike Brown and Danny Care to name but a few, to become the next England captain

Wood has nine caps, and was thrown in at the deep end in last years six nations and played very well in the absence of skipper Lewis Moody. Wood is a fast, exciting player who isn't afraid of the hardgraft. His work-rate is impressive, however he isn't the best of ball carriers in the tight. He isn't the captain of Northampton and he is known to be a relatively quiet lad around the camp. He is also not confirmed to make the starting line-up and may face competition from Tom Croft as I doubt Croft and Wood can play together, but that one of them could do a very good job and form a good balance to the back row alongside Robshaw. He has been tipped to captain England by Jeremy Guscott, Jim Mallinder e.t.c

tom_watson

Back to top Go down

England Captain - Six Nations Empty Re: England Captain - Six Nations

Post by Geordie Fri 16 Dec 2011, 4:00 pm

Robshaw and Wood would be my two flankers...Robshaw seems to be doing just fine with Quins, so possibly....but i'd actually be inclined to let him actually play some internationals first before making him captain....

For that reason i'd even go with an older head like Easter (one of the few who is pretty much guarenteed his place due to injuries and lack of competition).

Has Deacon ever captained the Tigers?

Other than that...the obvious candidate is Ashton... Run

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri 16 Dec 2011, 4:17 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Robshaw and Wood would be my two flankers...Robshaw seems to be doing just fine with Quins, so possibly....but i'd actually be inclined to let him actually play some internationals first before making him captain....

For that reason i'd even go with an older head like Easter (one of the few who is pretty much guarenteed his place due to injuries and lack of competition).

Other than that...the obvious candidate is Ashton... Run
I'm sure some Tigers fan will be along soon to confirm but I'm pretty sure that Deacon has captained Tigers in the past on a few occasions. Wouldn't be my choice as his fitness (back issues I think) mean he can often be a selection concern although he seems to be doing okay at the moment.

If a permanent coach had been appointed then a long term captain should have been chosen. However, until Mallet begins his new job (unless Lancaster brings home the GS) then we may as well choose a captain for this tournament only. Although I would keep Easter in the team I think he blotted his copybook too much in wc to deserve the role - after reading the leaked report does he have the respect of the whole squad?

How about Flood? I hadn't thought of him until someone else on here suggested it. One of the few players guaranteed his place and was one of the players in the leaders committee in NZ so obviously was thought of highly by that squad and management. If not I would go with Wood and then Croft. Robshaw needs to prove he has the ability to step up to the international standard and think he will begin the 6N behind Wood and Croft on the flanks.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 16 Dec 2011, 4:25 pm

B,
I think we half agree, sort of.
I can't see Flood as captain. I know he is guaranteed his place in the side. But, frankly, I am not a Flood fan. He is the best England have at 10 at the moment, but doesn't seem the leader type. Besides, I am more comfortable with a captain coming from the forwards.

I don't see Deacon, either. Health reasons, of course. But he is not the best second row in the team, and I don't think he is a guaranteed England regular.

We agree about Robshaw. I want him in the side, but we need to see if he can cut it at the top level before we talk abut him as an England regular and then captain.
If I had to choose, I would take Wood. Hands down. And then Croft.

Who else in the side looks like a leader?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 16 Dec 2011, 4:38 pm

Many times. Was the club's vice-captain when Corry was club captain. Is surprisingly good at talking to referees as well. Something I never thought he'd be good at but he hasn't had much chance in the last couple of years with injuries and call ups.

I'd have neither Robshaw (who I don't rate as a captain) or Wood (doesn't captain his club and I don't think has experience either) as England captain. Added to Robshaw's inability to communicate with referees with more than an angry grunt or high pitched whine he hasn't demonstrated he's an automatic selection yet. Wood has got to get into the side and stay there before he can be given the captaincy, though I wouldn't mind him being given it on a temporary basis to begin with.

Wouldn't be my choice as his fitness (back issues I think)

Not been a problem this season and when he missed the end of last season it wasn't to do with his back (hamstring injury). There was an interview he did with the Mercury (local paper) before the RWC where he said he thought the injuries had meant the rest of his body had been more rested and that should prolong his career. Not sure I'd have him in the team if England intend to play the open type of game though, if it's an up your jumper approach then I'd include him in a heart beat.

I can't see Flood as captain

He's vocal enough and a good leader on the pitch but his attacking instincts point towards a bit too much ball in hand and not quite enough territory/points building. Not got the tactical edge for my taste.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 16 Dec 2011, 7:25 pm

Do you think Lawes is an automatic choice....?

If yes...would you go with Deacon...or the inform Garvey?

If lawes is not to be picked...what SR combo would you choose...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri 16 Dec 2011, 7:40 pm

At the start of the season I would have gone for Parling & Lawes. With Parling being injured I can't make up my mind between Garvey & Deacon partnering Lawes. Maybe Deacon to start, thus adding some grit and experience (and running the line out) with Garvey on the bench.

Assuming Palmer is not chosen that is, nobody seems to know if he will be or not. If Palmer is available then him and Lawes with Garvey on the bench (don;t feel Deacon is the right type of player for the bench).

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by robshaw4england Fri 16 Dec 2011, 7:52 pm

Deacon surely isn't even good enough to get into the side!!

Robson, Lawes, Garvey and Attwood all deserve to be in the squad ahead of him...

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:49 pm

Tindall - good bloke - phnaar phnaaar ! laughing
21st Century Schizoid Man
21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 17 Dec 2011, 12:15 pm

Robshaw, i think the thing with Deacon is that he does a lot of grunt work...that maybe doesnt get recognised. I also dont think the set up of the pack recently has suited his style either....

We need to decide how we want our pack...either an athletic fast paced one...or one thats gonna boss the game. personally i would go with the later...a game that is traditional to England...

I would be inclined to start with Deacon and Lawes (who whilst around 17/18 st looks like he could still do with a few stone on him)...then if Garvey is the form player...bring him on in the second half to see how he copes with the higher level.

Thus i would possibly give the captaincy to Deacon (temporarily of course) with Hartley VC...to take over when Deacon goes off.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Sat 17 Dec 2011, 5:49 pm

I wouldn't we have very very talented potential world class players who are mobile.
Players like Marler, Robshaw, Croft, Lawes etc are the kind we should build our pack around

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Mon 19 Dec 2011, 11:49 am

I cant see beyond Easter as captain for England. I stress that he is not who I would want. But, I think Lancaster will want some consistency.
Easter has captained England before, didnt play well at the WC but is in good form for Quins at the moment.

Easter, Robshaw, Wood as the back row. Croft on the bench ect.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 19 Dec 2011, 1:57 pm

I'm leaning towards Youngs as captain. Not sure why but just like the idea of the scrum half leading the side...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Mon 19 Dec 2011, 2:00 pm

Ah - you must be French yappy!
When was the last time we saw a no.9 captain a Prem team? Gommersall probably did it once or twice.
De Kock at Sarries.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 19 Dec 2011, 2:56 pm

Players like Marler, Robshaw, Croft, Lawes etc are the kind we should build our pack around.

I don't like the idea of building a team around a loosehead who struggles at the scrum. Sort of like building your house on sand. No solid foundation to work from.

When was the last time we saw a no.9 captain a Prem team?

Classens at Bath?

I'm leaning towards Youngs as captain. Not sure why but just like the idea of the scrum half leading the side....

I take it you haven't seen the twitter page dedicated to Ben Youngs, from memory I think it's called "things that Ben said" it's funny but not really what you'd want from an England captain.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down