The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South Africa v Sri Lanka 1st Test

+14
Shelsey93
ChrisfromStroud
Demon Racer
Gregers
Mike Selig
sirfredperry
activereactive
JDizzle
Galted
msp83
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Fists of Fury
Biltong
skyeman
18 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

South Africa v Sri Lanka 1st Test - Page 2 Empty South Africa v Sri Lanka 1st Test

Post by skyeman Thu 15 Dec 2011, 8:15 am

First topic message reminder :

South Africa v Sri Lanka 1st Test at Centurion

Start of play (08.30 GMT) Weather: overcast

SA have not won a home Test series since 2008, which was against Bangladesh. And SL have not won a Test Match since Muralitharan retired, so both of these teams will be desperate to change that.

My prediction will be 2-0 to SA. Not because of the type of wicket, (SL showed in England that they could bat well on green pitches) but because the SL bowling is not that strong.

SA won the toss and will bowl.

Teams:

SA: G.Smith(c), J.Rudolph, H.Amla, J.Kallis, A.Prince, AB de Villiers, M.Boucher(w), D.Steyn, V.Philander, M.Morkel, I.Tahir.

SL: T. Dilshan(c), T.Paranavitana, K.Sangakkara, M.Jayawardene, T.Samaraweera, A.Mathews(w), J.Silva, H.Herath, N.Perera, U.Welegedara, C.Fernando.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

South Africa v Sri Lanka 1st Test - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa v Sri Lanka 1st Test

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:35 pm

No, that's the wrong way to look at it.

You wait until someone proves they ARE a world beater, you don't say they are until they prove that they AREN'T. So, me saying Philander isn't a world beater is perfectly fine because he isn't at the moment..

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

South Africa v Sri Lanka 1st Test - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa v Sri Lanka 1st Test

Post by Guest Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:37 pm

im not saying he is a world beater. the way it came across was that it sounded like u thought he hasnt got a chance of being a world beater, which i thought was harsh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:41 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Philander is a good bowler with nice shape and consistency...BUT...he is not a world beater. That was appalling batting from Sri Lanka, completely bottleless, and they gifted Philly and Steyn the wickets.

Australia and Sri Lanka have now gifted South Africa matches with such mindless collapses. Grit it out, for goodness sake!

Not so sure about that Fists. I think Philander could turn out to be very good indeed, he moves the ball in the air but also has the one which holds its line (so can beat a left-hander on both sides say) and lands it consistently. He reminds me a bit of someone like Mohammed Asif. Certainly it is too soon to either dismiss him or hail him.

Sri Lanka I'm afraid are in a very bad way at the moment. I wonder whether their players not being paid has anything to do with their recent insipid performances? In truth though, their problems are that their batting is over-reliant on 3 players and their bowling is toothless. Historically SL have relied on a few great performers and the rest chipping in. At the moment their best performers are underperforming (Matthews aside) and the rest aren't chipping in. Not a good combination.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:52 pm

He certainly does have the ability to be very good indeed, however I don't think anyone should get carried away based on performances against an Australian lineup with all the consistency of quicksand, and a Sri Lankan lineup that makes the Australians look like 11 Geoffrey Boycott's.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Thu 15 Dec 2011, 3:10 pm

If Phillander was a batsman and got 3 hundreds in his first 3 tests then we would be touting him as great. Therefore taking 3 fivefors in his first 3 tests should be viewed similarly in my opinion. He is bowling in the right places and looks to be the real deal!

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 15 Dec 2011, 3:17 pm

Gregers, had he done that against England, or against India in India, then yeah I'd be calling him a potential great, too.

However, the Aus and Sri Lanka batting lineups are about as brittle as a stick insect with brittle bones disease, and as such that needs to be taken into account. Very, very good start though, no doubt.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 15 Dec 2011, 3:23 pm

If a player got 3 hundreds in 3 tests Id just bring up Ravi Bopara.

Heck Phughes had a pretty incredible entrance to test cricket.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Thu 15 Dec 2011, 3:26 pm

I still think bowlers get a bit of a hard time compared to a batsman would if the coin fell the other way.

When Morkel is on form the SAffer attack must be the best in test cricket atm? Steyn, Phillander, Morkel, Tahir, Kallis is an awesome attack

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 15 Dec 2011, 3:29 pm

Yeah, a tremendous bowling attack which probably just edges England's (given that they have a 5th option in Kallis) when all are on form.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 15 Dec 2011, 3:41 pm

But what about an England 5 man attack with Anderson, Broad, Tremlet, the Breadvan and Swan? Its a pretty close call. Of course SA still have Steyn as the undisputed number one, but man for man England shade it after that. If we play the "what if there were a few injuries card" then England def come out on top.
It does look like SA could claim to have the best bowling attack now, but England have the best stable of bowlers.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Thu 15 Dec 2011, 3:43 pm

Thats what I was thinking Fists, we lack the 5th option and I think that playing India (in India) and South Africa it might hold us back. As much as it pains me to say it we miss Collingwood for the option he gave us.

Stokes could eventually get there for us I guess, but then again Kallis is a once a generation kind of player.

Playing 5 bowlers including Tremlett would be suicide for England, we need 7 batsman imo and although Bres and Broad will chip in they cannot be expected to do so like a genuine all rounder number 6 would

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 15 Dec 2011, 3:45 pm

Spot on, PSW. We will never go with those 5 bowlers though. Bat big and use scoreboard pressure - that has been our successful philosophy.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:19 pm

looking towards the future, sri lanka need to find a bowler with genuine pace, and an inspiratonal captain.

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 15 Dec 2011, 5:17 pm

The only good thing for Lanka today was that Angelo Mathews managed to bowl a few overs. He was completely unable to bowl in the Pakistan and Australia series. Angelo isn't the greatest seamer in the planet, but he does provide a decent containing option.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Thu 15 Dec 2011, 5:32 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:But what about an England 5 man attack with Anderson, Broad, Tremlet, the Breadvan and Swan? Its a pretty close call. Of course SA still have Steyn as the undisputed number one, but man for man England shade it after that. If we play the "what if there were a few injuries card" then England def come out on top.
It does look like SA could claim to have the best bowling attack now, but England have the best stable of bowlers.
England shade it after Steyn? You having a laugh?

Steyn>Anderson
Morne>Broad
Philander=Bresnan
Swann>Tahir
Kallis>Trott+Pietersen+Bell

3 to 1 for us, with Philly and Bresnan still young in their careers.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Thu 15 Dec 2011, 5:37 pm

Another great performance by the Pro today. 3 5 wicket hauls in 3 Tests, is remarkable considering Steyn in bowling at the other end. I'd being saying for years that the Pro should've been in the Test side. I'm so happy for him.

Philander destroys Australia, yet its was because Australia's battig is rubbish? But when Anderson did well against them in the Ashes, it was because he's World Class? Do me a favour. Either Australia are rubbish, or Philander's efforts are in the same level as Anderson's.

Morne was pretty poor today and under real pressure from Marchant de Lange. de Lange is rapid, 140-150kph! Unless Morne gets a few wickets i the 2nd innings, e could be replaced by his Titans team-mate!

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 15 Dec 2011, 5:41 pm

Demon Racer wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:But what about an England 5 man attack with Anderson, Broad, Tremlet, the Breadvan and Swan? Its a pretty close call. Of course SA still have Steyn as the undisputed number one, but man for man England shade it after that. If we play the "what if there were a few injuries card" then England def come out on top.

Steyn>Anderson
Morne>Broad
Philander=Bresnan
Swann>Tahir

More thinking along the lines of
Tremlett>Morne (arguable)
Broad>Philander
Swann>Tahir
Bresnan>Kallis (as a bowler)

I would say the first two are pretty close, but the last two certainties. Of course England won't pick a 5 man attack so the point is moot.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Thu 15 Dec 2011, 5:55 pm

Mike Selig wrote:
Demon Racer wrote:

Steyn>Anderson
Morne>Broad
Philander=Bresnan
Swann>Tahir

Broad>Philander
Swann>Tahir

I would say the first two are pretty close, but the last two certainties. Of course England won't pick a 5 man attack so the point is moot.
Broad>Phlander? You gotta be pulling my leg? Broad's had one good series vs India. And a winning spell vs Australia at the Oval in 2009.The rest of his Test career, he's been England's weak link.

In the event that both sides went in with 5 bowlers, Steyn's so far head of everyone else, he almost counts as 2 bowlers.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Dec 2011, 6:19 pm

Tremeltt isnt better than Morne.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 15 Dec 2011, 7:18 pm

Demon Racer wrote:
Mike Selig wrote:
Demon Racer wrote:

Steyn>Anderson
Morne>Broad
Philander=Bresnan
Swann>Tahir

Broad>Philander
Swann>Tahir

Broad>Phlander? You gotta be pulling my leg? Broad's had one good series vs India. And a winning spell vs Australia at the Oval in 2009.The rest of his Test career, he's been England's weak link.

In the event that both sides went in with 5 bowlers, Steyn's so far head of everyone else, he almost counts as 2 bowlers.

You exaggerate. Besides which Philander's had 3 tests so far...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Dec 2011, 7:27 pm

apparently Dilshan wants to give up the captaincy after the series, to foucs on his batting...Matthew the vice captain, says he dosent want it yet...if this was to happen then who wold get it?

would Mahela have to take it back?

Samaweera......there isnt many options.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisfromStroud Thu 15 Dec 2011, 7:43 pm

CRICKET:
BBC Sport website says:
South Africa finish day one of first Test on 90-1 in reply to South Africa's 180 all out
Crumbs, this cricket thing's a bit complicated isn't it!

ChrisfromStroud

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 15 Dec 2011, 7:50 pm

ChrisfromStroud wrote:CRICKET:
BBC Sport website says:
South Africa finish day one of first Test on 90-1 in reply to South Africa's 180 all out
Crumbs, this cricket thing's a bit complicated isn't it!
Let the onslaught of snide comments about Eng v SA 2012 begin.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 15 Dec 2011, 7:56 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Yeah, a tremendous bowling attack which probably just edges England's (given that they have a 5th option in Kallis) when all are on form.

I think England's attack has far more depth than South Africa's though. We have Anderson, Broad, Tremlett, Finn , Bresnan, Onions, Swann and Panesar who have all been successful in Tests at one stage or another whilst SA have Steyn, Morkel, Philander (but he's only just started) and not much beyond that.

----

Overall, a shocking display by SL today. Their decline in Tests since they lost Murali and Malinga has been quick although I don't see why it should be as they are well used to playing Tests without Malinga (he was almost always injured or rested during his Test career) and their batting line-up remains high quality with Dilshan, Sangakkara, Jayawardene, Samaraweera and an in-form Mathews.

In the last 3 series this, previously very reliable, batting line-up simply hasn't performed. Today, Dilshan's shot was shocking for an out-of-form Test opener/captain - as Mark Butcher said on Sky it was a very poor T20 shot and an absolutely atrocious shot in the 5th over of a Test match. The biggest concern, however, must be the bowling attack - it is now the weakest bowling attack of the main 8 Test nations and on a pitch which should have helped the seamers they offered very little threat.

I'm not sure Dilshan has proved to be a good captain but I think the board will have their work cut out trying to get Jayawardene or Sangakkara to take it back. Meanwhile, I'm not sure that dealing with a corrupt board is what Mathews needs to do at this stage of his career.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 15 Dec 2011, 8:49 pm

Hmm, it is certainly a bit of a precarious position that their side is in isn't it, shelsey?

Shocking batting today, really mindless stuff that I'd tell a group of 15 year olds off about. The bowling was decent, but it wasn't unplayable. I don't like to say things like this, but it just seems that they lack the mental strength to grind out an innings.

As for the captaincy - surely it is in the 'who wants it' club now?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Dec 2011, 8:39 am

this is a very good test match pitch. Plenty in it on day one. Flattening out a bit, however robin jackman did a pitch report, and the pitch is denting, and they showed it by the ball rolling into the dents. It should crack and spin..

last few test matches in south africa have been perfect test match pitches.

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 16 Dec 2011, 8:45 am

A silly mix-up and the night watchman Steyn is run out, and SL get the early breakthrough.

SA 91-2.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Dec 2011, 8:49 am

the seamers would get the credit yesterday, but i just wanna say about imran Tahir

6-0-1-22, bowled extremely well. Kept things tight when he came on, much less full tosses, and on a pitch where spin wasnt gonna be a threat he bowled well. I think he got his test match nerves out of the way.

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 16 Dec 2011, 9:14 am

Two Father Christmas's and a reindeer in the crowd and a Rudolph in the middle South Africa v Sri Lanka 1st Test - Page 2 3602195817

SA 119-2

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Dec 2011, 9:15 am

Dilshan has turned to Matthews with the ball, he looks to be struggling to motivate the side as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 16 Dec 2011, 9:32 am

Amla gone, caught in the slips by Mathews.

Amla 18 cMathews bPerera

SA 126-3.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 16 Dec 2011, 9:34 am

Massive reception for Kallis at Centurion. The last time he batted here, he made his only double-ton.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Dec 2011, 9:35 am

sri lanka have come out postiviely and taking wickets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Dec 2011, 9:47 am

rudolph gone 136-4

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 16 Dec 2011, 10:23 am

Kallis smashed on the head there, ducking into a bouncer that didn't bounce, drew blood but he's ok.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 16 Dec 2011, 10:24 am

Pity it wasnt Rudolph getting hit on the nose, headline writers dream

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 16 Dec 2011, 10:25 am

Laugh

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 16 Dec 2011, 10:31 am

Oh dear me...what a useless wicket keeper.

Drops a sitter off Kallis.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 16 Dec 2011, 10:35 am

Gutsy stuff by Kallis to carry on. SL seemed almost reluctant to give him another short one. Sounds callous, but really they should have done so. OK, the ball that hit him just did not get up. But I wonder if batsman get hit more these days BECAUSE of the helmet. In days of yore they would jolly well have had to get out the way. Helmets are a good thing, though. (although not for fielding). The Don said that if they'd been available when he was playing he would certainly have worn one.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:30 am

SL get the big wicket of Kallis.

Kallis 31 cMathews bWelegedara

SA 174-5.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Dec 2011, 2:15 pm

279-6 lead of 99

been very suprised at the pace of fernando he has been clocked at 92pmh on a few deliverlies, even welegedra has been clocked at 88mph on a few.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 16 Dec 2011, 2:25 pm

Speed guns do vary a bit. Any views on the De Villiers review? Prob right that benefit of doubt goes to batsman?

Strange captaincy from Dilshan, Fernando serves up some tripe so he puts loads of guys on the boundary. AB just nicks a single and the strike.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 16 Dec 2011, 2:37 pm

I thought it was out.

ABDV gone on 99, bottled it!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 16 Dec 2011, 2:40 pm

I thought it was probably out, based on replays and reactions, but if I'd been 3rd umpire? Probably "your call, mate".

That was definitely a clean catch BTW, off the fingers and into the hand, no problems.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 16 Dec 2011, 2:42 pm

Yeah agreed on both counts.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 16 Dec 2011, 3:07 pm

Is Herath the new Ashley Giles? Come to mention it he doesn't field (or bat) as well as the King of Spain...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Dec 2011, 3:22 pm

anyone just seen parnativana catch to get rid of morkel?

fantastic catch

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 16 Dec 2011, 3:28 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:anyone just seen parnativana catch to get rid of morkel?

fantastic catch

It was a Samaraweera catch CF, excellent catch though.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Dec 2011, 3:32 pm

Doh

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 16 Dec 2011, 3:51 pm

Tahir seems to be a bit of an old-fashioned tail-ender. Doesn't really get in line and plays somewhat by numbers. Still, these two doing a good job, Boucher playing another good knock.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next