The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can Any Reasonable Argument Be Made... (A thread about Chris Robshaw)

+11
HammerofThunor
Rory_Gallagher
tooboredtowork
englandglory4ever
LondonTiger
Geordie
PJHolybloke
Yoda
stlowe
majesticimperialman
Cumbrian
15 posters

Go down

Can Any Reasonable Argument Be Made... (A thread about Chris Robshaw) Empty Can Any Reasonable Argument Be Made... (A thread about Chris Robshaw)

Post by Cumbrian Sun 04 Dec 2011, 8:27 pm

... For Chris Robshaw not having a nailed on place in the EPS for the Six Nations?

Looking at the situation with the back-row. England have been shorn of experience; Moody's gone, Haskell's done one and Easter's international career is fading faster than the polar ice caps. The players that are left (Croft and Wood), whatever you think about their playing abilities, do not look ready/ able to provide the leadership that England clearly lacked.

On the evidence of what I've seen, Robshaw does. His industry is amazing, he just never seems to stop carrying, tackling or hitting rucks. In short I think he's exactly the type of player England need right now. With Robshaw at 6 and Wood at 7, England would get a huge amount of graft and no little skill. I'd pair those two with whichever no.8 we can get and have Croft on the bench as an excellent impact sub.

He's proven to be at least competent in all three back-row positions too.

Do you guys want him in the squad?

Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Can Any Reasonable Argument Be Made... (A thread about Chris Robshaw) Empty Re: Can Any Reasonable Argument Be Made... (A thread about Chris Robshaw)

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 04 Dec 2011, 8:39 pm

Listening to Will Greenwood this afternoon Robshaw should surely be the first name on the Team sheet when England select the 6ns team/squad.

To be the leader of a side that has won 14 games out of 14 games surely must say something about his leadership.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Can Any Reasonable Argument Be Made... (A thread about Chris Robshaw) Empty Re: Can Any Reasonable Argument Be Made... (A thread about Chris Robshaw)

Post by stlowe Sun 04 Dec 2011, 9:10 pm

Definitely in the EPS and if not a starter then certainly on the bench.

stlowe

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoda Sun 04 Dec 2011, 9:47 pm

Non better at the moment, would love to see Robshaw and Wood play together. Having just watched him play eight for Quins he didn't even struggle at that,fantastic carrying, tackling etc and behind a dodgy looking scrum at times. This may raise an interesting point about whether he is a capable 8 at international standard?

could we ever see

6 Croft
7 Wood
8 Robshaw

Personally I think not but wouldn't be half as bad as some of the backrow combos seen recently!

Yoda

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sun 04 Dec 2011, 10:21 pm

Considering he played at the back of a scrum getting pumped left right and centre, he played exceptionally well. Eight is not his best position, apparently, but he looked very much at home there today.

I'd be happy to see how he goes anywhere in the backrow at the moment, England aren't overwhelmed with options and it has been an area of the team that has been consistently weak since the holy trinity hung up their boots.

Has to be a major contender. OK
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 04 Dec 2011, 11:03 pm

Yeah you beat me to it....he played at 8 this weekend and did very well...

Id like to see:

6 Wood
7 Wallace (An actual 7)
8 Robshaw

Mobile, strong and physical...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 05 Dec 2011, 7:05 am

I would lik eto see him play in the 6Ns.

Personally I think that there is not one individual area of his game strong enough to be a good international player (ie he is good at a lot of things but not exceptional at anything). However unless he gets a go I will never know.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:31 am

The guy is on fire. You can not fail to notice how well he is performing every week. His No8 skills at the back of a retreating scrum this week were exceptional. Haskel is useless in comparison. The guy must start for England in the 6Ns.

Robshaw
Wood
Easter

A grafting backrow if ever there was one.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by tooboredtowork Mon 05 Dec 2011, 12:45 pm

For me:

6. Robshaw
7. Armitage (I would class the lack of contenders at this position as a special circumstance.
8. Narraway (until someone else sticks up their hand)

tooboredtowork

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 05 Dec 2011, 2:20 pm

So is Robshaw an option at 8 now as well as 6 and 7? Did he really play well at 8?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 05 Dec 2011, 3:16 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:So is Robshaw an option at 8 now as well as 6 and 7? Did he really play well at 8?

Ordinarily i would say no as he is not an 8....however we need to consider just how many of our actual 8's are unavailable...

Crane, Haskell, Fearns, etc.

It leaves Easter and .....hhmmmmm

Seeing Robshaw play 8 to a decent standard at the weekend...just opens a few options if its really required.

I fully expect to see Easter start...with Robshaw on the flank....and i hope with Wood on the other flank...but i suspect it will be Croft.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 05 Dec 2011, 3:22 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:So is Robshaw an option at 8 now as well as 6 and 7? Did he really play well at 8?

The only No. 8 specific skill is controlling the ball at the back of the scrum. Given that the Quins were being pushed back more often than not and I don't remember any fumbles from Robshaw I'd say he did alright. Not sure how he does in the scrum going forward (more of a possiblity with England than Quins and not an easy thing). I'd have him in the EPS as a backrow player and see how he does, combinds with the other players before making up my mind.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Mon 05 Dec 2011, 4:25 pm

I would like to see Magnus Lund come back to the Premiership and play like he did for Sale. He's 28 and from the bits I saw of him last season playing for Bairritz he is still a great player. Think his contract expires soon too.
Are any premiership clubs looking for decent back rowers?

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Mon 05 Dec 2011, 4:35 pm

I've said for a while I'd like to see croft,wood and robshaw as our backrow.
Just let Robshaw play his natural game. Which is clearly fantastic.
The only argument against him being in the side is that he's too pretty to be a flanker.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by robshaw4england Mon 05 Dec 2011, 5:42 pm

London Tiger

"Personally I think that there is not one individual area of his game strong enough to be a good international player (ie he is good at a lot of things but not exceptional at anything). However unless he gets a go I will never know"

what are you chatting about?!

His tackling is absolutely phenominal to start with, easily the best tackler in the premiership for the past three or four seasons. Coming in the top three tackle counts each season.

His ball carrying, makes the hard yards and creates a platform for the rest of the team.

His offloading and link-play as seen week in week out and especially to help set up both Hopper and Brown's tries against Wasps is outstanding.

His work-rate easily matches the best back-rowers in world rugby and I feel Robshaw would relish the challenge of playing international rugby.

I have a feeling Robshaw is not the sort of guy who would want to play for the Red Rose for the money.

Last season he turned down big money offers from Bath, Leicester and Gloucester.

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 05 Dec 2011, 6:12 pm

According to Sir Jez Guscott he isnt sharp enough. Is that a reasoned argument? I see Will Greenwood has struck back, so we have the hyperbokle of Sky vs the crud talking of Guscott. Take you pick

I see its name every english backrow player week again. perhaps that we can come up with so many candidates is another reason why he may not get selected (again), theres lot of players someone beleives HAS to start by the looks of it.

For the record I wouldnt be offended if he was selected, Im just not going to kid myself that he will single handedly save the entire planet if he is.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 05 Dec 2011, 6:36 pm

robshaw4england wrote:
London Tiger

"Personally I think that there is not one individual area of his game strong enough to be a good international player (ie he is good at a lot of things but not exceptional at anything). However unless he gets a go I will never know"

what are you chatting about?!
My opinion that is all. I want to see him tried and hope to be proven wrong, but as yest I have not seen any one facet of his game that is world class and would thus raise him above outstanding club player.

His tackling is absolutely phenominal to start with, easily the best tackler in the premiership for the past three or four seasons. Coming in the top three tackle counts each season.
This means he is fit and plays a lot of matches. His tackling in itself is not out of the ordinary - he does not drive people backwards, nor jump to his feet and secure turnover etc.

His ball carrying, makes the hard yards and creates a platform for the rest of the team.
Jordan Crane makes the hard yards - that does not make him an international quality player. Neither are top notch, explosive ball carriers. He also loses the ball in contact quite a lot.

His offloading and link-play as seen week in week out and especially to help set up both Hopper and Brown's tries against Wasps is outstanding.
But not as good as Joe Marler Wink

His work-rate easily matches the best back-rowers in world rugby and I feel Robshaw would relish the challenge of playing international rugby.
His biggest attribute and the main reason I want to see him given a go.

I have a feeling Robshaw is not the sort of guy who would want to play for the Red Rose for the money.

Last season he turned down big money offers from Bath, Leicester and Gloucester.

And who is that sort of player? Nick Easter? Because he made a joke that someone twisted to their own ends?
And you are really sure that Leicester made a big money offer? We did not and do not have the room in the cap to make a big money offer. In fact we pay under the market value.

As I said in a previous thread, maybe I am just a middle aged curmudgeon - but over the last 30 years England have had some outstanding back row forwards and i tend to judge by those standards.

I repeat - I want to see him play, I want to be proven wrong.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 05 Dec 2011, 7:16 pm

Jerry Guscott was a pretty damn good player.....alas when he opens mouth i tend to ignore it....

Robshaw has to be given a chance....alongside Wood. Then we have to decide WHO makes up the three...

With power and breakdown coming from Robshaw and Wood...maybe we could afford to play 6 Croft 7 Wood 8 Robshaw...with Croft giving england the lineout option...but also instructing him NOT to stay out TOO much...only if the breakdown is covered and it looks like he could use his speed....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 05 Dec 2011, 8:21 pm

As an Ireland fan I think England are daft to ignore Robshaw - I rate him very highly and think he would add a lot to your team. I would be happy if he was irish, and we have lots of talented back rowers! When Crane returns, I think the two of them should start in the same back row. Very tough, solid combination. They may not both be the most exciting of players, but they will certainly make the game easier for the likes of Ashton, Foden etc. Combinations mean a lot more than individuals.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down