The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great Footwork

+4
John Bloody Wayne
Scottrf
azania
paul12342
8 posters

Go down

Great Footwork Empty Great Footwork

Post by paul12342 Sun 04 Dec 2011, 3:54 pm

Having watched lasts night fight i have to say i was most impressed with cottos footwork in the fight which i didnt expect to see.This gave me the thought of which boxers in history had great foot work. Now obviously there Ali who was just supremely fleet footed as a heavyweight.

Also i read somewhere that when sparring with Pacquiao what the sparring partners find real incredible is not just the speed of his punches but the footwork that simply mesmorises them.

Please no strictly cum dancing jokes Rolling Eyes

paul12342

Back to top Go down

Great Footwork Empty Re: Great Footwork

Post by azania Sun 04 Dec 2011, 3:56 pm

Chaves for me had superb footwork. The way he cut off the ring, positioned himself to deliver his body blows was a thing of beauty.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 04 Dec 2011, 3:56 pm

Recently Calderon, Marquez, Mijares.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by paul12342 Sun 04 Dec 2011, 4:13 pm

I suppose Barrera could be mentioned also due to how he nullified Hamed by using smart feet.

paul12342

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 04 Dec 2011, 4:53 pm

Charles was a great mover. I've never seen Charles caught on the ropes, he isn't a dancer but he uses the ring and positions himself beautifully.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 04 Dec 2011, 6:03 pm

Jersey Joe Walcott was supposed to have great footwork.....Ali and Robinson obviously........

Although I don't like him Duran had a tendency to take a half step forward..draw a guy in to what he thought was punching range and then take a quick half step back and counter...he had good feet...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 04 Dec 2011, 6:07 pm

Benny Leonard was so far ahead of his rivals in the footwork department it was almost untrue. Even when the likes of Tendler had him back in to the corner he had the ability to turn, swivel and take a quick side step out of troble and could box like a dream going both backwards and forwards. Lovely balance, great footwork.

Camacho in his pomp, too. His feet were nearly as fast as his hands, particularly when he fired that double jab and moved away from whichever hand his opponent was looking to counter-hook with. A joy to watch when he was in full flow, was Camacho. Just a shame he was a nutjob outside the ring and that he didn't like it up him, as anything after the Rosario fight showed.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Sun 04 Dec 2011, 6:36 pm

Hatton, Mayweather, Haye, Pacquiao, Barrera, Lewis, Tyson, Leonard, Hopkins these guys all have quality footwork.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by paul12342 Sun 04 Dec 2011, 6:41 pm

Waingro wrote:Hatton, Mayweather, Haye, Pacquiao, Barrera, Lewis, Tyson, Leonard, Hopkins these guys all have quality footwork.

Thought Hayes footwork against Klitschko was awful seeming as he seemed unable to stay on his feet

paul12342

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Sun 04 Dec 2011, 6:47 pm

paul12342 wrote:
Waingro wrote:Hatton, Mayweather, Haye, Pacquiao, Barrera, Lewis, Tyson, Leonard, Hopkins these guys all have quality footwork.

Thought Hayes footwork against Klitschko was awful seeming as he seemed unable to stay on his feet

Haye has quality footwork imo lets not forget he had a broken toe against Wlad which made things harder but he still was able to avoid Wlad for the whole fight. Wlad said he would knock Haye out but tbh he wasnt able to land much on him at all. Look at how Haye beat Valuev and Ruiz and Enzo his footwork was was a ig reason he beat those guys imo it also makes him hard to hit.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 04 Dec 2011, 6:50 pm

Hatton's footwork was fairly good when he was in a position to advance consistently on an opponent to set them up for the kill, but decidedly average when he had to move in the opposite direction. Not sure he's really much of an example to be honest. Neither, in my mind, is Lennox Lewis. I've always believed that Lewis created openings via his ability to use every inch of his 6'5" frame, having an excellent jab and knowing (for the most part) when to cover up and look to counter. Can't say I was ever that impressed with his footwork, which seemed a little lumbering at times.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 04 Dec 2011, 6:54 pm

Hatton was as predictable as night following day.....

Although I'd declare an interest...watch the first four rounds of Curry-Mccallum and marvel at some of the cobra's footwork....

He looked sensational that night...though he lost I thought he was sublime for 12 minutes...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 04 Dec 2011, 6:59 pm

Meldrick taylor is an honarable mention. He managed to dance around chavez despite chavez having great footwork also

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by paul12342 Sun 04 Dec 2011, 6:59 pm

always felt hayes head movemnt and upper body movement was superior to his foot work

paul12342

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down