The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Gatland Stick To His Guns

+7
Luckless Pedestrian
majesticimperialman
flyhalffactory
doctornickolas
TycroesOsprey
maestegmafia
bedfordwelsh
11 posters

Go down

Will Gatland Stick To His Guns Empty Will Gatland Stick To His Guns

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:18 am

SO we have had the quote that he won't select players out of Wales for the 6 Nations if he can't get them for the full period he wants.

BUT will he stick to it, whilst I admire the theory behind it the pravticality of it might not be so sensible, I think players at the English clubs will be the hardest ones to get hold of so that possibly rules out Powell, Mitchell and Peel. From that trio only Mitchell would be a blow if we couldn't get him.

The ones in France will be more interesting to see if he gambles on them and takes the players for whatever time he can get the, Phillips, for me is still our 1st choice No9 so we need to get him, the other two are now classed as squad players so despite their obvious experience would it be such a great deal if he didn't pick them?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Will Gatland Stick To His Guns Empty Re: Will Gatland Stick To His Guns

Post by maestegmafia Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:31 am

Mike Phillips isn't actually playing very well at Bayonne. I think our squad Scrum halves for the Six Nations will be Williams and Knoyle with either Webb or Davies as back up.

Scott Andrews has a long way to go to usurp or even compete with Adam Jones for the Tighthead spot. Adam Jones has years of top experience. Only time will bring Andrews the experience, though I hear that Adam has worked hard with Scott the last week to help him improve.

Second row lacked a grafter role that Charteris and AW Jones both fill nicely for Wales. Evans and Davies looked good but don't make a great pairing. I also think Damien Welch is worth a look.

In the backs Scott Williams didnt have a good game, made six or seven poor mistakes, while admittedly trying to be a little overly ambitious, but showed good enterprise. He is a good player, though hopefully Wales will have a few more centers in consideration when the Six Nations squad is announced. Part of me would like to see Adam Hughes given a run, as he is the only thoroughbred outside center in Wales playing with exceptional form.

Huw Bennet went ok yesterday but Matthew Rees may well be the starting Hooker in the Six Nations. Good depth all coming from the Scarlets at the moment with Owens and Myhill both hitting form.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:54 am

So sorry Beds mate,

To answer the Question in the OP, yes I think Gatland will stick to his guns, and yes I am very happy for him to do so. Lets look to the future, bot the past.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:09 pm

He didnt actually say he wouldnt pick them didnt he say it made it difficult? So he has given himself some wriggle room. On yesterdays showing I would expect Mitchell to be in the squad as well as Phillips and probably Hook.

Byrne, Powell, Wellies, Peel and nugget have all played their last games for Wales though.

I think the only wildcard likely to be in he squad is Henson. If he plays over xmas and in teh HEC then we could well see him and Roberts in tandem in the centre for club and country.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:22 pm

Will have to see, I thought Henson played well in the last match against England when he broke his wrist.

But I would say that it is the outside center roll that Wales really need to look at.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:50 pm

What he also said was that some players who went to France or England didn't have a choice as no one in Wales wanted them.

I think he is referring here to players that the O's got rid of like Phillips Hook etc who none of the other regions could afford so they had to go abroad.

In this case he has said he would make an exception.

So expect to see these 2 included even if no one else is.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:58 am

Phillips and hook are still young enough to play another lions tour and another rwc

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:59 am

I think Gatland has known the youngsters have for the most part played well when coming in

As far as the recent "journeymen" only Mitchell has played anything like international standard

Byrne, Hook, Phillips, Powell on current form should not be (and in my opinion) will not be picked by Mr G

Based on Current Form

FB
1/2p, Barry Davies, Stoddart, Prydie (maybe) all will be ahead of Byrne

Scurmhalf
Williams, Knoyle, Evans, Webb will all be ahead if Phillips

Flyhalf
Priestland, Biggar, Jones (Stephen), Tovey, Henson, Jones (Steffan), Morgan will all be seriously considered ahead of Hook

Henson certainly is on the radar, as he has stated he would like to play 10
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:00 am

flyhalffactory wrote:I think Gatland has known the youngsters have for the most part played well when coming in

As far as the recent "journeymen" only Mitchell has played anything like international standard

Byrne, Hook, Phillips, Powell on current form should not be (and in my opinion) will not be picked by Mr G

Based on Current Form

FB
1/2p, Barry Davies, Stoddart (well potential!!), Prydie (maybe) all will be ahead of Byrne

Scurmhalf
Williams, Knoyle, Evans, Webb will all be ahead if Phillips

Flyhalf
Priestland, Biggar, Jones (Stephen), Tovey, Henson, Jones (Steffan), Morgan will all be seriously considered ahead of Hook

Henson certainly is on the radar, as he has stated he would like to play 10
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:34 am

If you mean will Gatland stick to his guns about picking players playing out side of wales then (YES) i believe he will.

But will he stick to his guns about only picking players on form, rather than picking players on reputation.(now that is a different thing alltogether)

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:17 am

maestegmafia wrote:Huw Bennet went ok yesterday but Matthew Rees may well be the starting Hooker in the Six Nations. Good depth all coming from the Scarlets at the moment with Owens and Myhill both hitting form.

I thought Matthew Rees was excellent when he came on on Saturday. If he continues in the same vein in the Heineken Cup, he'll be first choice again for the Six Nations.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by pontylad Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:08 am

Phillips and Andy Powell were specifically made exempt from this comment by Gatland as no Welsh region wanted them so as they have to make a living this seems fair enough . Hook was very much still wanted by the Ospreys but they couldn't match the French money on offer .

I think it's the player release period he was on about as agreed with the regions (13 days ?) prior to internationals which is longer than the general IRB release period. If you cannot make the squad sessions then he was suggesting he wouldn't pick you.

pontylad

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Noodle Miner Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:21 pm

Phillips if on form at Bayonne should be selected in Wales' 6 Nations squad IMO, hes become an important player in the Welsh side and i felt Wales really missed him and 9 yesterday, Lloyd Williams is a promising player but i think he showed on saturday that hes not quite up to international level just yet,

a combination of
6. Lydiate
7. Warburton
8. Faletau
9. Phillips
10. Priestland
12. Roberts

looks to have just the right balance of pace, power and intelligence to structure and control our game and if we can avoid to many injuries then with a good set of backs and a solid front 5 around that i think we can be a real force.
Pot Noodle Miner
Pot Noodle Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:50 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Huw Bennet went ok yesterday but Matthew Rees may well be the starting Hooker in the Six Nations. Good depth all coming from the Scarlets at the moment with Owens and Myhill both hitting form.

I thought Matthew Rees was excellent when he came on on Saturday. If he continues in the same vein in the Heineken Cup, he'll be first choice again for the Six Nations.

I agree i though Matthew Rees gave the front five a slight edge, Ryan jones did too.

What did you guys think of Scott Andrews?

I thought his scrummaging was a liability but his other facets were good, nice tackle count, good with the ball.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:03 pm

mm,

We normally agree with each other on most things and this is no exception, Bennett deserved his start after his performances in the WC but for me Rees done enough in his little cameo to get him back as 1st choice come the 6 Nations.

Andrews showed up really well in the loose but was very poor at scrum time and thats where he earns his living so to speak.

Jones is proving doubt what great asset he is off the bench.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:08 pm

It'll be interesting to see who will start at hooker for the Ospreys, my money's on Hibbard he was starting before him last season after all. I think Rees should definitely be starting in the 6 nations, as well as Bennett has played he just isn't as good. Hibbard should be second choice if he doesn't get injured again with Bennett, Burns, Ken Owens fighting it out for the 3rd sport if he chooses 3 hookers that is.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:57 am

Rees looked good when he entered the frey last weekend. Bennet has improved massively over the last six months.

At the Ospreys Bennet was selected ahead of Hibbard in the game he was available.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:51 pm

but one thing about powell is he brings physicallity and according my new bezzie mate sam, he is a joker and really helps the team morale, espicially at the rwc

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:38 pm

Welshy that may be so but I can't see Powell getting the nod ahead of players in the squad last week.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:06 am

Powell was a great tourist for the lions as well as a joker and good for morale. However He isnt going to get a look in the 6 nations squad. we have backrow options of

Lydiate, Warburton, Faletau, McCusker, Tipuric, Turnbull, Ryan, Lewis Evans and Morgan to qualify all playing in Wales all able to be released for training. Powell is not gonna get anymore caps now. Sadly I dont think he ever really fullfilled teh pronise of that first cap against SA and hes gonna always be remembered for his early morning buggy ride and leaving his keks behind Headscratch

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:22 am

Powell is a great tourist and every team needs a bit of a joker BUT he has to first merit being in the team on form/performances.

At the moment we have Welsh based players who are as good if not better than him on the playing front so unless we have a spate of back row injuries can't see him being involved.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down