The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who will be the next highest try scorer?

+11
nganboy
gelodge
Looseheaded
welshy824
majesticimperialman
Shifty
Cari
gowales
wales606
bedfordwelsh
maestegmafia
15 posters

Go down

Who will be the next highest try scorer? Empty Who will be the next highest try scorer?

Post by maestegmafia Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:58 am

Shane Williams made it to third on the list, 60 tries in 91 games, now retired. Next closest players still playing are tied, Joe Rokocoko and Brian O'Driscoll in sixth, followed by Habana in 12th.

Who will be next to make it to the top of the list?

1st 58 caps 69 tries Daisuke Ohata Japan
2nd 101 caps 64 tries David Campese Australia
3rd 91 caps 60 tries Shane Williams Wales
6th 68 46 Joe Rokocoko New Zealand
6th 123 caps 46 tries Brian O'Driscoll Ireland
12th 74 caps 40 tries Bryan Habana South Africa
19th 100 caps 34 tries Mils Muliaina New Zealand (just retired)
21st 48 caps 33 tries Sitiveni Sivivatu
22nd 69 caps 32 tries Jaque Fourie South Africa
24th 57 caps 31 tries Vincent Clerc France

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Who will be the next highest try scorer? Empty Re: Who will be the next highest try scorer?

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:08 am

I cant see BOD being around for much longer certainly not long enough to close the gap and both Habana and Rokocoko have been in and out of their respective teams of late.

Out of that list I would say Fourie has the longest international carear ahead of him so maybe he will catch him but think he's safe in 3rd for a while
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Who will be the next highest try scorer? Empty Re: Who will be the next highest try scorer?

Post by wales606 Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:54 am

George North Wink
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:19 pm

At 19 with 9 tries in 16 Caps. He is on a good road to getting up there fast.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:24 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:I cant see BOD being around for much longer certainly not long enough to close the gap and both Habana and Rokocoko have been in and out of their respective teams of late.

Out of that list I would say Fourie has the longest international carear ahead of him so maybe he will catch him but think he's safe in 3rd for a while

Jacque has signed a huge deal with a Japanese cub and aint going back to Super rugby for a while so his international career might be over. George North, James O'Connor, Digby Ioane or Chris Ashton would be good bets i think

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:37 pm

I think Ashton and Ione would have a lot of tries to make up on time to get further than North (aged 19) or O'Conner (aged 21), neither Ioane or Ashton had scored a single International try by the age of 21 let alone 19.

That said other factors are important too, wingers and fullbacks make up the top of the All Time try scoring lists, with O'Conner recently playing at flyhalf, and preferring inside center to wing or fullback, his try scoring may lapse. Likewise North may move to outside center. So possibly Ashton or Ioane will be the next.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:37 pm

How many does JOC have?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:41 pm

James OC has 12 tries in 37 Caps.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Tommy Bowe?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:48 pm

Cari wrote:Tommy Bowe?

No bias there at all... angel laughing
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:56 pm

I thought Shane only had 58 tries in 87 caps?

I think George North could do it, if he keeps playing as he is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:59 pm

wales606 wrote:
Cari wrote:Tommy Bowe?

No bias there at all... angel laughing

Well it was worth a go...actually Tommy's only scored 19 tries for Ireland amongst his 44 caps I think.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:07 pm

wales606 wrote:George North Wink
That's what I would of said also, he will probably be like Gareth Thomas, start off on the wing, move to centre at some point and finish off at Full Back.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:42 pm

Chris Ashton

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:20 pm

kahui?
north?

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:22 pm

My money's on North, but it depends on how the team around him performs/ That's why William's was so special, he was a great scorer in a mostly underperforming team.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:24 pm

North and Ashton (injury and form permitting) should score a lot more international tries.

Ioane is a fantastic player and should be up there too.

Who knows though these three players may be replaced by up-and-coming talents we haven't heard of yet. NZ wingers score a lot of tries but have more competition for their places.

Habana is still class.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:31 pm

Mark Cueto

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:32 pm

Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by gelodge Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:39 pm

North will be hindered by his size, big wingers don't tend to last as long at the top of their game, top speed and footwork ebb away much quicker.

With the stronger development of young players in the professional era, wing being the prime try scoring position and one with the highest turnover as a result of the youth coming through, not to mention that the top tier sides face the lower tier less often and that they've closed the gap with fewer whitewashes, we may not see anyone break into the uppermost part of the list again.

Then you've got the fact that many of the top try scoring SH talent will head north whilst still in their prime. If he hadn't ended his international career with a financial move north after the 2007 WC at barely 29yo, I think Howlett would be in the top three at the moment. Fifth in the list at present, with 49 tries in 62 matches, along with Cullen he's got the best try to match ratio after Ohata, but unlike Cullen (my favourite player of all time) hasn't been blighted by injuries for the rest of his career and has been as lethal as he ever was.

gelodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:43 pm

Very good point about Howlett and Cullen, its unbelievable that Cullen is only 35 years old, he could have been playing in the last 2 world cups had injury not stopped him

Back to top Go down

Post by gelodge Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:09 pm

Yes, he's only a year older than Williams, but hasn't played international rugby since he was 26yo. He didn't play in the 2003 WC either, John Mitchell decided he didn't need Super 12's top try scorer who had just scored 8 tries in 12 games and went with players like Ben Atiga and Caleb Ralph instead. Also noteworthy that he was asked to play out of position at centre for the 1999 WC as well.

gelodge

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:26 am

Dagg will probably score a few more tries before he retires
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:23 am

Just wait until his mighty Timness Lord Visser of the Thistle steps onto the international field. king
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wrfc1980 Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:39 am

Chris Ashton has scored 15 international tries which has only taken him 18 caps. If he carries on in that form he will go down as one of the most prolific try scorers of all time.

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:23 am

wrfc1980 wrote:Chris Ashton has scored 15 international tries which has only taken him 18 caps. If he carries on in that form he will go down as one of the most prolific try scorers of all time.

Hes a great finisher, but the rest of his game is pretty poor I feel, if he wants to keep being selected for England I imagine he will have to improve his work rate around the field.

Back to top Go down

Post by belovedfrosties Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:23 pm

IronMike wrote:
wrfc1980 wrote:Chris Ashton has scored 15 international tries which has only taken him 18 caps. If he carries on in that form he will go down as one of the most prolific try scorers of all time.

Hes a great finisher, but the rest of his game is pretty poor I feel, if he wants to keep being selected for England I imagine he will have to improve his work rate around the field.

In what way? He always seems to track the ball around the field of play and in some of the analyses of his tries hes ran about 60 odd metres to get close the ball carrier. Im assuming that perhaps you mean defensive play? Hes decent enough in the tackle but i still feel he has a penchant for rushing out of the line and not getting man and ball.

belovedfrosties

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:41 pm

In defense hes a bit naive, Stuart Barnes said it best about his attitude when Northampton played Scarlets, he knocked the ball on and just stood there in frustration which lead to Priestland scoring a try off it.

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:45 pm

if England get their act together, it has to be Ashton.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:24 pm

ashton doesnt play like a winger, he looks scarred on his wing- he is more of an attacking fullback running lines from deap off the shoulder of other players

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down