The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oz to have a shock or Wales to go back to normal?

+26
dummy_half
mankiaow
Cymroglan
bedfordwelsh
TycroesOsprey
welshy824
Dontheman
rodders
Casartelli
glamorganalun
aucklandlaurie
offload
damngoodOvalball
slartibartfast
maestegmafia
majesticimperialman
Knowsit17
eirebilly
wales606
Stellar Key
Thomond
21st Century Schizoid Man
BigTrevsbigmac
ultra
Duty281
westernosprey
30 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Oz to have a shock or Wales to go back to normal? - Page 2 Empty Oz to have a shock or Wales to go back to normal?

Post by westernosprey Sat 03 Dec 2011, 2:19 pm

First topic message reminder :

Will Australia have a shock today after playing against a very very poor Barbarians side or Will Wales go back to normal, lose all their own lineouts and crab sideways?

Without Phillips, Adam Jones & JD2 I worry Wales will be without some key form players from the World cup. However it does give some more of the youngsters a chance to shine and show why they are in the Wales squad.

I think Oz will outscore Wales 2 tries to 1 today and they will scrape a win.

Wales 19 - 23 Australia

westernosprey

Back to top Go down

Oz to have a shock or Wales to go back to normal? - Page 2 Empty Re: Oz to have a shock or Wales to go back to normal?

Post by Guest Sat 03 Dec 2011, 11:44 pm

Casartelli wrote:As a lifelong (well, post 2005) critic of Ryan Jones - I'll concede he was very impressive when he came on - remains a significantly more competent test player than either Faletau or Lydiate at this level.

Agree about those 'fans' that run up and down the steps on their way to and from John Lewis or wherever they go.

But what can you do? It's a professional era and the WRU have to sell tickets to any spazz that wants one.

Really? I thought Faletau and Lydiate had good games? Actually they seem to perform consistently well over their test careers, whereas Ryan Jones has only done well recently as a sub (including today). Not sure that makes Jones a 'significantly more competent test player'?

Back to top Go down

Oz to have a shock or Wales to go back to normal? - Page 2 Empty Re: Oz to have a shock or Wales to go back to normal?

Post by Guest Sat 03 Dec 2011, 11:45 pm

Casartelli wrote:As a lifelong (well, post 2005) critic of Ryan Jones - I'll concede he was very impressive when he came on - remains a significantly more competent test player than either Faletau or Lydiate at this level.

Agree about those 'fans' that run up and down the steps on their way to and from John Lewis or wherever they go.

But what can you do? It's a professional era and the WRU have to sell tickets to any spazz that wants one.

Really? I thought Faletau and Lydiate had good games? Actually they seem to perform consistently well over their test careers, whereas Ryan Jones has only done well recently as a sub (including today). Not sure that makes Jones a 'significantly more competent test player'?

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat 03 Dec 2011, 11:52 pm

Hard to judge the performance today the game lacked intensity.
To me it seemed more like a testimonial than a grudge match but the ref did not make it easy for either side to play fast flowing rugby.'.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by mankiaow Sun 04 Dec 2011, 2:33 am

Hard to judge? Wales have had two opportunites to show that they can do the business against an SH side. It seems pretty clear that they still have a way to go before they can claim to have made serious progress.

In both games, Oz were always on top. So how much has really changed? Winning the 6N convincingly and consistently should be the first obstacle. Wales may be feeling confident after a good WC but other than a good win over Ireland, how much was really achieved?

Ireland trounced England in last years 6N but were shown the door by Wales in the WC. Will Ireland go to Twickenham as firm favourites? Probably not. Will Wales stroll to victory in Dublin? I wouldn't bet on it.

France are still the team to beat.

So what has really changed?

mankiaow

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 04 Dec 2011, 9:52 am

Ryan Jones is proving now that he still has a future in the Welsh squad but only as a replacement.

He is nowhere near consistent or good enough to start at 6 or 8 over Lydiate or Faletau and in fact didn't even play in the back row yesterday.

Faletau covers more ground going forward than Jones has ever done and as a u nit are developing nicely and will be there for the long term
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Sun 04 Dec 2011, 12:08 pm

As an England fan I'd be quite happy with a back row playing as well and with as much potential to improve as Lydiate, Warbirton and Faletau. Having someone of the quality of Ryan Jones off the bench wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Have to say it was a disappointing game overall - Wales's performance was reminiscent of Engalnd's recent efforts: do some good things and then make a basic mistake (handling errors in midfield, missed lineouts, kicking the ball out on the full) that costs you a lot of possession and territory. Do that against a side with as many dangerous runners as Australia and you're going to be on the back foot.all game. Under such situations it's only a matter of time before there's an Aus attack that cuts through and necessitates a cynical foul and yellow card.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun 04 Dec 2011, 12:30 pm

Anyone else think Beck at the Ospreys should be looked at for the 6 nations? I think hes a fantastic ball player as well as being a crash option, something which we could use in the centres.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 04 Dec 2011, 12:39 pm

gowales wrote:Anyone else think Beck at the Ospreys should be looked at for the 6 nations? I think hes a fantastic ball player as well as being a crash option, something which we could use in the centres.
I dont think he would add anything to the Welsh team ahead of Roberts, Davies or Williams a good player but he isn't setting the Ospreys alight so why would he improve the Welsh team.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 04 Dec 2011, 1:13 pm

I think this game was all about Shane Williams, and a chance for Gatland to have a look at a few players outside the world Cup squad, throw in a few key injuries in the area we cannot afford to lose anyone (the front 5), and you have an average Wales team.

The game was poor but Wales were only slightly poorer of the 2 teams, and Wales only really lost when we went down to 14 men, while Wales did score 2 tries when it was 15 against 15.

I think Australia may of also been helped by the game the previous week, where as Wales were throwing together a few new players like Ian Evans and Dan Biggar.

Wales blew a great chance to win a game (again) against a Tri Nation team but winning might of gave Wales an unrealistic level of confidence ahead of the 6 Nations. If we'd won we'd of gone into the tournament cócky and expecting an easy time, now we will be cautious and far more respectful, which is normally the best way for Wales to go into games.

gowales wrote:Anyone else think Beck at the Ospreys should be looked at for the 6 nations? I think hes a fantastic ball player as well as being a crash option, something which we could use in the centres.
He is doing well, but he is not 6 Nations material, if one player at the Ospreys deserves a call up it is Duncan Jones he has been our player of the season, it's amazing to think we also have Paul James and Ryan Bevington as Loose heads, with Duncan!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 04 Dec 2011, 1:17 pm

I Alyn Wynn or Charteris were not available for the Six Nations I would be keen to go with Ian Evans with Ryan Jones. We need one industrious second row...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sun 04 Dec 2011, 2:42 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
I dont think he would add anything to the Welsh team ahead of Roberts, Davies or Williams a good player but he isn't setting the Ospreys alight so why would he improve the Welsh team.

Headscratch Really? Beck has been the Ospreys best player this season! He's been making breaks and running quality lines most games. Give him a couple more seasons and he'll be def worth a shout. Shame for him there is strength in depth for Wales at centre at the moment.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 04 Dec 2011, 7:15 pm

Breadvan wrote:Headscratch Really? Beck has been the Ospreys best player this season! He's been making breaks and running quality lines most games. Give him a couple more seasons and he'll be def worth a shout. Shame for him there is strength in depth for Wales at centre at the moment.
I'd go for Duncan Jones to be honest he is the form loose head in Wales, any time the Ospreys need a bit of inspirtation or a ball carrier he is there leading the charge, Wales need to pick him.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun 04 Dec 2011, 7:51 pm

I agree with the Duncan Jones argument, he is way ahead of Bevington in my estimation. It is tight head that Wales really have an issue with though.

Has anyone seen how Ben Broster is playing? I know he was very weak when he spent some time at the Scarlets but he appears to be playing regularly for the Wasps at present.

Others include Rhys Thomas who probably is not a great deal better than Andrews or Mitchell in the scrums but at least he gets around the park.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 04 Dec 2011, 8:29 pm

Lewis Roberts was our best up and coming option but had horrible injury and is now in France (I believe) not heard how he's doing.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 04 Dec 2011, 8:41 pm

Look at the size of him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVaPbBPzM20
Should have been at one of the regions but Philippe Saint-Andre took him over to France.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Sun 04 Dec 2011, 8:46 pm

he was at sale a season or two ago as he came down to my local club to watch a tournament, moved to toulon i believe

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2