The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year

+45
Grizzly
kwinigolfer
time please
djlovesyou
Tranquil Chaos
Kay Fabe
jbeadlesbigrighthand
geoff998rugby
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
JDandfries
CaledonianCraig
Pal Joey
Gibson
erictheblueuk
guildfordbat
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Davie
azania
Super D Boon
GG
Derbyblue
B91212
Adam D
damngoodOvalball
McLaren
Diggers
Yadsendew
TopHat24/7
Faldono1fan
AlexHuckerby
cabbagesandbrussels
Rava
super_realist
Gentleman01
beshocked
Mad for Chelsea
Fists of Fury
88Chris05
LondonTiger
Rowley
Scottrf
skyeman
Union Cane
The Galveston Giant
ADMIN
49 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Who should win the SPOTY?

BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 5 Vote_lcap11%BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 5 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 17 ]
BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 5 Vote_lcap4%BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 5 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 6 ]
BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 5 Vote_lcap4%BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 5 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 6 ]
BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 5 Vote_lcap6%BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 5 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 10 ]
BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 5 Vote_lcap5%BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 5 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 8 ]
BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 5 Vote_lcap12%BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 5 Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 19 ]
BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 5 Vote_lcap9%BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 5 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 14 ]
BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 5 Vote_lcap22%BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 5 Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 35 ]
BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 5 Vote_lcap13%BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 5 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 20 ]
BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 5 Vote_lcap14%BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 5 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 23 ]

Total Votes : 158

BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 5 Empty BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Post by ADMIN Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:10 am

First topic message reminder :

The BBC have announced this year’s nominations for the Sports Personality of the Year and they are as follows:

Alistair Cook
Amir Khan
Andrew Strauss
Andy Murray
Dai Greene
Darren Clarke
Luke Donald
Mark Cavendish
Mo Farah
Rory McIlroy

I’d like to ask people who are knowledgeable on any of the above nominations to submit to me a brief paragraph or two with the nominees achievements over the past 12 months and the reasons for why they should be included. If you are interested in this please PM me.

Do you agree with the nominees? Are there any glaring omissions? And most importantly who do you think will win?

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 5 Empty Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Post by Diggers Tue 29 Nov 2011, 8:52 pm

I like Khan but can you say he is 100% best at his weight, not really. Plus Manny and Floyd could probably make light welter if they really wanted to. Is he better than JMM even?
I'd have to have Adlington before him, though 2012 could be a big year for Khan...and Adlington come to that.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Page 5 Empty Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Post by Guest Tue 29 Nov 2011, 8:56 pm

Dai Greene is a 400m hurdler, won the World Chamiponships and Diamond League this year SafeAs.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 29 Nov 2011, 9:03 pm

Diggers wrote:I like Khan but can you say he is 100% best at his weight, not really. Plus Manny and Floyd could probably make light welter if they really wanted to. Is he better than JMM even?
I'd have to have Adlington before him, though 2012 could be a big year for Khan...and Adlington come to that.

Khan has beat the best available to him given that the other 2 top fighters at his weight in Bradley and Alexander wanted nothing to do with him. Calzaghe won this award and he wasn't the best fighter in the World.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 29 Nov 2011, 9:24 pm

It's all conjecture as to who is avoiding who, I don't believe any of it, fact is the bookies would not have Khan as favourite against any of the big names as yet.
And just because Calzaghe won it doesn't make Khan a worthy winner, it makes Calzaghe a poor one.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 29 Nov 2011, 9:29 pm

Bradley has stated he knocked the fight with Khan back and Don King said he told Alexander he wanted nothing to do with Khan.

Calzaghe was a very worthy winner. He won it off the back of his win over either Lacy/Kessler or Hopkins which were excellent wins.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 29 Nov 2011, 9:37 pm

I rate Calzaghe, just a shame he didn't fight the big fights at the right time.
You have no idea that Khan would have fought Bradley or Alexander this year, it takes two promoters to tango. Boxing is full of chat, far too much.
As I said I rate Khan but I'd hope his best is yet to come. I think Adlington achieved more this year and is on course to being an all time great Brit swimmer. I hope Khan does the same in boxing.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Nov 2011, 9:37 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:Dai Greene is a 400m hurdler, won the World Chamiponships and Diamond League this year SafeAs.
Ta muchly, dreamer! I guess I could have googled him but I'm a lazy beggar...

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Tue 29 Nov 2011, 9:39 pm

Mo Farah by a mile.
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 29 Nov 2011, 9:39 pm

Diggers wrote:I rate Calzaghe, just a shame he didn't fight the big fights at the right time.
You have no idea that Khan would have fought Bradley or Alexander this year, it takes two promoters to tango. Boxing is full of chat, far too much.
As I said I rate Khan but I'd hope his best is yet to come. I think Adlington achieved more this year and is on course to being an all time great Brit swimmer. I hope Khan does the same in boxing.

Mate to be honest I'm a terrible judge of these sort of things. I'm not a big follower of any other sports than boxing, football and a bit of golf.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 29 Nov 2011, 9:44 pm

Fair enough and honest I'm not knocking Khan or JC. I love my boxing and they are/were both top drawer.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 30 Nov 2011, 1:37 am

McIlroy should get it.

Life-long Achievement Award for Gary Speed.
The Sporting and real World will miss him so.

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 30 Nov 2011, 7:15 am

I'd go for the following 1,2,3

1. Rory McIlroy - US Open winner, current No. 2... and still only 22. Wow.
2. Alastair Cook - was monumental during the Ashes, weak Oz team or not. Contributed well in the SL and India series too.
3. Mark Cavendish - the benchmark for sprint cycling - winning the UCI Road World Championships and 5 TdF Stages in 2011.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 30 Nov 2011, 8:45 am

Mad for Chelsea wrote:well I personally feel Addlington would be more worthy than Murray TBH. I'm a big fan of Murray and he had his best year yet, but he didn't win a Slam, nor did he finish n°1 (or even any higher than previous years). Sure, reaching all four slam semis was impressive, but more so than winning a world title? Probably not IMO. Don't really know enough about boxing to comment on Khan's achievements.

All subjective though. In sports like boxing it is very possible tyo become world champion without beating the best boxers in the world (with a canny promoter and the many tin pot world belts going around at the moment). Also the tennis era at the moment is akin to expecting Khan to win world titles containing Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran, Barreras etc as at the moment Andy Murray has Roger Federer (seen widely as the greatest of all-time), Rafael Nadal (tipped by many to replace Federer as the GOAT) and Novak Djokovic who has been head and shoulders above the rest this year and lost a handful of matches all year. They are the reasons Andy hasn't won a slam. Now those that feel he has achieved nothing should go along and do their homework.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 30 Nov 2011, 8:56 am

Y I Man wrote:I think Murray could be in the list because he went from world No4 to world No3

Well lets be honest he did a bit more than that. He become one of an elite band of players in tennis history to reach the slam semi (or better) in all four slams in the calendar year. In the history of tennis I think only around half a dozen other players have managed that feat. True he didn't win a slam but you could say would Lewis Hamilton have won the world title had he had Ayrton Senna, Jackie Stewart and Michael Schumacher racing against him in their pomp? No I certainly don't think so. Likewise would England have retained the Ashes this year against an Aussie side containing Waugh, Warne, McGrath. No I don't think so. Get the point?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 30 Nov 2011, 9:00 am

Diggers wrote:I rate Calzaghe, just a shame he didn't fight the big fights at the right time.
Him offering Bradley a contract was a fair indicator though.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 30 Nov 2011, 9:24 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:well I personally feel Addlington would be more worthy than Murray TBH. I'm a big fan of Murray and he had his best year yet, but he didn't win a Slam, nor did he finish n°1 (or even any higher than previous years). Sure, reaching all four slam semis was impressive, but more so than winning a world title? Probably not IMO. Don't really know enough about boxing to comment on Khan's achievements.

All subjective though. In sports like boxing it is very possible tyo become world champion without beating the best boxers in the world (with a canny promoter and the many tin pot world belts going around at the moment). Also the tennis era at the moment is akin to expecting Khan to win world titles containing Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran, Barreras etc as at the moment Andy Murray has Roger Federer (seen widely as the greatest of all-time), Rafael Nadal (tipped by many to replace Federer as the GOAT) and Novak Djokovic who has been head and shoulders above the rest this year and lost a handful of matches all year. They are the reasons Andy hasn't won a slam. Now those that feel he has achieved nothing should go along and do their homework.

CaledonianCraig Andy Murray hasn't even come close to winning a grandslam final. He gets blown off the court in straight sets. If Murray wins a slam he'll be a favourite to win the title but till he does he will sit in the shadows of better tennis players. Plus it's called sports personality of the year. Murray lacks the personality in comparison to other sportsmen and sportswomen. Most photo shots of him are him grimacing or growling.

Murray is in a tough era unfortunately for him but you don't win accolades for being the 4th best player in your chosen sport. I am sure he will be comforted by his bank account though.

Murray is an excellent tennis player and Britain's best since Fred Perry but till he wins major silverware like a slam or gold medal he'll not reach the zennith of his chosen sport. The other contenders are all no 1 in their chosen sports.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 30 Nov 2011, 9:30 am

Beshocked.

The Olympic Gold Medal is not a big event in Tennis.
Those who win it are pleased to win it because it helps cap a career, e.g. it means Nadal has won all of them now, but it's not a priority, the season ender at London and Masters series events are bigger competitions and more meaningful in terms of career success.

As for Murray lacking personality, I think he's got plenty, it's only that people mistake his dry sense of humour for being dour and miserable.
He constantly takes the urine out of reporters without them really catching on.
He's got bags more personality than the likes of Gerrard and Terry

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 30 Nov 2011, 9:48 am

You are correct it isn't normally a big event but it will be in next year's London Olympics. Murray will be representing GB so will be much more of a big deal.

True Gerrard and Terry lack personality but it doesn't mean Murray has much in my opinion. Maybe I miss the subtleties of Murray. I just see the dour and miserable version like many people do. I am sure there is more to him than that but I have never been impressed by his body language on court. Grimacing and growling like some caged rotweiler. I simply can't warm to him. I much prefer his brother's personality.

I remember once Gerrard being asked what his favourite cheese was and he said "melted cheese".

I wouldn't have a footballer as sports personality of the year. It made a mockery of the competition when Giggs won it. Plus his golden boy image has been shattered.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 30 Nov 2011, 9:50 am

super_realist wrote:Beshocked.

The Olympic Gold Medal is not a big event in Tennis.
Those who win it are pleased to win it because it helps cap a career, e.g. it means Nadal has won all of them now, but it's not a priority, the season ender at London and Masters series events are bigger competitions and more meaningful in terms of career success.

As for Murray lacking personality, I think he's got plenty, it's only that people mistake his dry sense of humour for being dour and miserable.
He constantly takes the urine out of reporters without them really catching on.
He's got bags more personality than the likes of Gerrard and Terry

Dont agree re the Olympics and tennis Super, I think its really taking off as a big event and the fact that this years is at Wimbledon will add to that momentum.
The fact is its once very 4 years so I think it means more to win than a Masters or a Tour Finals as you dont get many chances, also like the Davis Cup it gives players a chance to feel like they are representing their nations.
To be honest the big achievement of the tour finals is getting there, the event itself is becoming a bit of a shambles as all the players are exhausted or crocked. Its basically just last man standing.
Totally agree re Murrays personality, I much prefer dry humour anyway and he has plenty of that, think a lot of people just totally miss it.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed 30 Nov 2011, 9:51 am

Please don't be confused by the title, Beshocked,

Sports Personality of the year is far from that, as a list of previous winners, which includes such personalities as, David Beckham, Joe Calzaghe, Steve Davis, Nick Faldo, Jonathan Edwards, Ryan Giggs, Liz MacColgan, Nigel Mansell, Michael Owen and most of all Johnny Wilkinson, shows.

In terms of ability, Murray ranks ahead of probably most other British sportsmen and women and having met him a few times, I can vouch for him actually being a very humourous and likeable guy!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 30 Nov 2011, 9:54 am

The Olympic Gold in Tennis is no bigger a deal than the Olympic Gold in football. Very much a token tournament. I don't even know who the Olympic football "champions" are.

Murray is a bit like Cavendish in a way, confident, sometimes brash and opinionated, and focussed entirely on their sport. Winning characteristics sometimes misconstrued as arrogance.

I agree about his body language though, it gives his opponent a lift and I think it is his major weakness.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:01 am

But its not like the Olympc football at all though is it. Because you have no age restrictions and pretty much all of the top players will be there. And if you actually listen to them they will tell you how important it is to them.
If you dont believe me listen to Murray, and I dont think he spouts off for the sake of it.
http://www1.skysports.com/news/12110/7050707/Olympic-test-excites-Murray

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:06 am

Yeah he really cared in Beijing didn't he? Beaten by a Chinese qualifier ranked about 1,000,000 and home before the postcards as Tommy Docherty would say.

I think the London element is the only difference this time and probably only for Murray. What will the rest of the players be thinking though? Will it being in London rather than Athens or Beijing make it any more of an exhibition than it has been in recent Olympics? I doubt it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:09 am

super realist maybe it's simply again because in terms of personality Murray is overshadowed by his main rivals. If it was a token tournament then why do the best players get involved?

JDandfries fair enough. Most of all Jonny Wilkinson? I don't get it.

Maybe in private Murray is a very humorous and down to earth chap but it is his oncourt attitude and general media image which gives off the impression he is dour and miserable.

It depends how you define ability. He is a very talented tennis player but he lacks mental strength to win the most coveted prizes

Many other British sportsmen and sportswomen have a lot more mental strength. They have won their sport's most coveted prize whereas Murray hasn't.

Murray has to win a slam to fulfil his potential.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:12 am

He was ill in Beijing, he lost over a stone and was gutted as he was loving the event. I think its unique for them as they get to mix with all the other athletes in the village
The fact is if all the players say they think its massive, as Murry clearly states in the piece, as Nadal and Federer are often quoted as saying, and you choose not to believe them then thats clearly up to you.
It wasnt an exhibition previously, you are just describing it as one, the players dont remotely agree.
No player who will have a chance to play will boycott it, despite the fact they complain about having a heavy season. Yet another reason to realise that it means a lot to them.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:15 am

I don't think they'll boycott it, but it doesn't appear to be taken as seriously as Masters events.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:20 am

super_realist wrote:I don't think they'll boycott it, but it doesn't appear to be taken as seriously as Masters events.

But not all the top players play all the Masters events. They cherry pick which ones they play in.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:22 am

beshocked wrote:super realist maybe it's simply again because in terms of personality Murray is overshadowed by his main rivals. If it was a token tournament then why do the best players get involved?

JDandfries fair enough. Most of all Jonny Wilkinson? I don't get it.

It depends how you define ability. He is a very talented tennis player but he lacks mental strength to win the most coveted prizes

Murray has to win a slam to fulfil his potential.

Johnny Wilkinson, is probably, in fact definately the most boring man I have ever met - yet he won Sports Personality of the Year.

As for Murray, problem he has is, that he is up against Nadal, Federer and more recently Djokovic who are probably 3 of the all time top 5 male tennis players

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:22 am

Really? , where do you get that from? All the 2011 events were attended by all the top players injuries permitting.
I can't think of one player who didn't play a Masters event by choice.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:30 am

Federer never played in Shanghai for a start, he wasnt injured. they all enter the Masters events but they dont always play them.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:36 am

JDandFries it's all about interpretation.

In my opinion Jonny Wilkinson is the perfect gentleman and sportsman. He is also won the award because his achievement was to help England be the first Northern Hemisphere side to win the rugby world cup.

I certainly feel that Jonny Wilkinson has more personality than Andy Murray.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:45 am

Fair enough Diggers, but it hardly represents "cherry picking", one player missing one event.

Next year will be interesting as the Olympic tennis falls directly between Wimbledon and US Open.

By the way the last two winners of the Gold medal were Nadal and Massu (ranked 13 at the time) and beaten finalists were Fish (ranked 19 at the time) and Gonzalez (ranked 15 at the time).

Hardly a reflection of what happens in other tournaments where its very rare for anyone outside the top 8 to win a top tournament. So is it really taken that seriously?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:46 am

beshocked wrote:JDandFries it's all about interpretation.

In my opinion Jonny Wilkinson is the perfect gentleman and sportsman. He is also won the award because his achievement was to help England be the first Northern Hemisphere side to win the rugby world cup.

Both are just pretty quiet, private people. You can't expect everyone to be a Kriss Akabusi.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:54 am

Its not unusual for players to skip Masters events, there are plenty of them during the year after all. Which is why an Olympic gold would mean more, they play close to 40 Masters events in a 4 year period.
Super, Djokovic won Bronze in Beijing so you had 2 of the top 4 winning two of the medals with the world number one winning gold.
They all turn up, they all say its very important to them. Like i say if you choose not to agree its up to you but Id rather listen to the players opinions.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:55 am

super_realist wrote:

Both are just pretty quiet, private people. You can't expect everyone to be a Kriss Akabusi.

What a nightmare that would be.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:58 am

Perhaps it is going to become more important than it previously has been, but when was the last time a player of the ranking that Massu, Gonzalez and Fish had at the time competed for the title in any of the Masters events?
If the top players took it that seriously then those players wouldn't get a look in.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 30 Nov 2011, 11:23 am

I wasn't advocating Andy Murray to win SPOTY and was just pointing out his achievements in an era of men's tennis that is arguably the strongest (at the top) that it has ever been yet here we have a player who has got to the business end of all of the slams and is the best men's tennis player this country has produced for 70-odd years. Khan may have won a 'world title' but has he truthfully beaten the very best players in the world to win that title? Definitely not whereas Murray most definitely has to play and beat the very best in the world to win a slam.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 30 Nov 2011, 11:48 am

These would be my nominations

SPOTY - Cavendish or Cook
2nd - Cavendish or Cook
3rd - Farah

Team of the year - English Cricket team

Overseas Player - Djokovic

Coach of the year - Andy Flower.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:14 pm

How many of these peopel actually have any noticeable personality?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 30 Nov 2011, 4:01 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:None of them really have actual PERSONALITIES as amazing as they are at there sports.

You are clearly clueless about Darren Clarke.

He has a personality and some

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 30 Nov 2011, 4:02 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:How many of these peopel actually have any noticeable personality?

See above

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by cabbagesandbrussels Wed 30 Nov 2011, 4:15 pm

Rebecca Adlington backpeddling...

"I think they're rightly deserved - the guys that are in there," she said.

"Hopefully some girls can be in there next year and we can have a good, successful year," she told BBC Sport.

cabbagesandbrussels

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Wed 30 Nov 2011, 4:44 pm

Diggers wrote:
super_realist wrote:

What a nightmare that would be.

Ha ha! That is some image!

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 30 Nov 2011, 5:08 pm

Based on Personality alone I'd vote for Darren Clarke, add to that him finally winning a major and his epic week long celebration, he for me wins this

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 30 Nov 2011, 5:10 pm

Clarke is the most likely to turn up drunk and crack jokes about Adlingtons looks in his acceptance speach so hes getting my vote

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Tranquil Chaos Wed 30 Nov 2011, 6:07 pm

whilst his overall achievements for the year arent as large as a fair few of the others, i think clarke will win it this year, especially considering the last 2 awards have had an element of sentimentality to them
Tranquil Chaos
Tranquil Chaos

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Wed 30 Nov 2011, 6:16 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:How many of these peopel actually have any noticeable personality?

The award actually has nothing to do with the 'personality' of the person.

The phrase 'Sports Personality of the Year' is just a more grammatically elegant way of saying Sports Person of the Year or Sportsman or woman of the year.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 30 Nov 2011, 8:26 pm

What exactly is this "personality" which is being spoken of when it comes to Darren Clarke?

OK so he likes a drop of the black stuff, he wife tragically died and now he's shacked up with an ex Miss Ireland or something similar. Do any of those things make him a "personality"?

As djlovesyou says, the whole "personality" thing is a misnomer anyway- it has nothing to do with personality - it's the sports man/woman/person of the year - no problem with that - I'm just curious to know why DC is considered as a personality over (say) Luke Donald

He's only really a "personality" in the same way as Freddie Flintoff was (i.e. a drinker)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 30 Nov 2011, 9:58 pm

I don't agree that's it's not the sports personality award personally. It's to a degree a bit of a housewifes choice award hence the wins by Princess Anne and her daughter.
Someone like Jess Ennis will get a lot of votes simply because she is a bubbly personality, if she was a masculine , mono syllabic beast she wouldn't get as many votes.
Basically different people vote for different reasons, for some it's sporting achievement pure and simple but for a lot of people who vote "personality " does come into it.
I know my Mum votes for the one she likes most anyway and she won't be alone.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:14 pm

If the award were about achievements and people who have only reached the very heights of their sport should win it then why did David Beckham win it? I never saw him lift the World Cup for England?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next