The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tuilagi crashes into dragons back line!

+3
pontylad
LondonTiger
Impossible Standards
7 posters

Go down

Tuilagi crashes into dragons back line! Empty Tuilagi crashes into dragons back line!

Post by Impossible Standards Tue 29 Nov 2011, 9:50 am

At last he's arrived...

http://www.newportgwentdragons.com/newsarticle.aspx?n=19794

Newport Gwent Dragons have signed Samoan international centre Anitelea "Andy" Tuilagi from Sale Sharks on a 2-year deal.

The 25 year old, who can also play on the wing, joins the men of Gwent has from Premiership side Sale Sharks where he made 42 appearances over 3 seasons, despite a layoff with a broken arm.

Tuilagi has played for Leicester Tigers and Leeds Carnegie, as well as a stint of Rugby League at St Helens before choosing Union as his code of choice.

“Andy is exactly what we want in our back line,” said Dragons Head Coach Darren Edwards. “We were keen to look at the strengths we have within our squad and make careful signings based on players who we feel will add to our game. Having worked with Andy at Leeds, I’m very aware of his qualities as a player and am confident that he will be successful at Rodney Parade.

“We have a great deal of skill and pace in our backs and Andy will bring a physicality and a line-breaking ability that will really compliment our current squad.”

The Samoan’s potential signing at the Dragons has been the cause of media speculation for several months, but regional Director of Rugby Rob Beale confirmed the signing this week which had been delayed by red tape.

“This has been a very long process for the Dragons and for Andy,” he said. “I know there has been media speculation over the past couple of months, but we had to ensure that this deal was done properly and that Andy had the necessary documentation in place before the signing was made.

“Having said that, Andy’s reputation speaks for itself and I am confident that the wait will be well worth it.”

Anitelea "Andy" Tuilagi
DOB 6th May 1986
Height 1.85 m (6' 1")
Weight 96 kg (15st 1lb)
Position Centre
Honours Samoa

I think this is something the Dragons have been lacking for along time. A crash ball centre for our smaller faster backs to work off. Hopefully this can kick start our season a bit because we are not having the best of starts.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Tuilagi crashes into dragons back line! Empty Re: Tuilagi crashes into dragons back line!

Post by LondonTiger Tue 29 Nov 2011, 9:53 am

I hope it works out well for club and player. Andy has been a touch unlucky in his career so far.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Tuilagi crashes into dragons back line! Empty Re: Tuilagi crashes into dragons back line!

Post by Impossible Standards Tue 29 Nov 2011, 9:55 am

Thanks LT - I hope it works out too, but maybe for more selfish reasons... Rolling Eyes
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by pontylad Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:04 am

He could work the trick but at 15 st 1 lb he must have been last in the food queue in the Tuilagi household Smile

pontylad

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 29 Nov 2011, 4:46 pm

Nice i think he'll probably be best at 13.
9. Evans
10. Tovey
11. Brew
12. Smith
13. Tuilagi
14. Chavhanga
15. Thomas

Not a bad back line if do say so my self. Probably better than the Ospreys

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 29 Nov 2011, 5:02 pm

gowales wrote:Nice i think he'll probably be best at 13.
9. Evans
10. Tovey
11. Brew
12. Smith
13. Tuilagi
14. Chavhanga
15. Thomas

Not a bad back line if do say so my self. Probably better than the Ospreys

I think he must be the smallest Tuilagi! Smile. Disagree, I think he is best at 12 with Adam Hughes at 13. It would be harsh to drop Smith but I do not see any other alternative; unless of course that Andy turns out to be pants. I agree it is better than Ospreys backline but that is more to do with a case of them having the worst backline in Wales, possibly the worst in the European competition aswell.

We haven't had the best of starts but we did find ourselves in some tough away games and still have a game in hand remember. We should climb up away from 2nd to bottom.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Tue 29 Nov 2011, 5:05 pm

Morgannwg wrote:. I agree it is better than Ospreys backline but that is more to do with a case of them having the worst backline in Wales, possibly the worst in the European competition aswell.

is this called 'fishing with Dynamite'?

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 29 Nov 2011, 5:10 pm

Haha nooo Smile. Just call it Morg's perception. I think the stats back it up by the way, a total of 3 tries in the Heineken Cup so far and not one bonus point win in the League; which makes it all the more interesting seeing them at the top spot.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Tue 29 Nov 2011, 5:14 pm

Yet another non-Welsh player taking up a place where a youngster could be learning his trade. Not good

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down