The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scarlets v Dragons, 25th November 2011

+15
overlordofthewest
Taffineastbourne
Morgannwg
glamorganalun
flyhalffactory
manofgwent
Jimmy Moz
Totallybiasedscarlet
bedfordwelsh
Smirnoffpriest
maestegmafia
Impossible Standards
Turkster
SubsBench
Luckless Pedestrian
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Scarlets v Dragons, 25th November 2011 Empty Scarlets v Dragons, 25th November 2011

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:18 pm

The teams have been announced:

Scarlets: Daniel Evans; Nick Reynolds, Adam Warren, Gareth Maule, Sean Lamont; Stephen Jones (capt), Gareth Davies; Phil John, Ken Owens, Rhys Thomas, Sione Timani, Damian Welch, Aaron Shingler, Johnathan Edwards, Ben Morgan.

Replacements: Emyr Phillips, Iestyn Thomas, Deacon Manu, Lou Reed, Mat Gilbert, Rhodri Williams, Dan Newton, Viliami Iongi.

NG Dragons: Martyn Thomas, Tonderai Chavhanga, Adam Hughes, Ashley Smith (capt), Aled Brew, Jason Tovey, Wayne Evans, Phil Price, Rhys Buckley, Dan Way, Adam Jones, Rob Sidoli, Andrew Coombs, Gavin Thomas, Tom Brown.

Replacements: Steve Jones, Nathan Williams, Nathan Buck, Scott Morgan, Jevon Groves, Joe Bedford, Lewis Robling, Steffan Jones.

It's a great shame that a Welsh derby has been deprived of so many Welsh internationals by a meaningless money-spinner at the Millennium Stadium, but here's hoping it'll be a great match all the same.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Scarlets v Dragons, 25th November 2011 Empty Re: Scarlets v Dragons, 25th November 2011

Post by SubsBench Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:23 pm

Very inexperienced Scarlets backline due to the call ups, apart from Lamont and Stephen obviously. Happy with the pack.

SubsBench

Back to top Go down

Scarlets v Dragons, 25th November 2011 Empty Re: Scarlets v Dragons, 25th November 2011

Post by Turkster Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:34 pm

should be a good game, Scarlets weaker in the backs because of call-ups and Dragons weaker in the forwards because of the same, I can see the Scarlets front 5 doing well and as long as their backs click it may be enough, should be close though, and I can't watch it because I'm working, not happy.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:19 pm

Both teams are coming off the back of good wins. Our front row is very inexperienced and young. Hope the boys put in a competitive performance and not do another 'Treviso'!

Heres to a good game.
Congrats to Scarlets to for the victory up in Northampton OK
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:24 pm

Impossible Standards wrote:Congrats to Scarlets to for the victory up in Northampton OK

Yep, let's hope it makes them complacent... Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:25 pm

That Scarlets backrow is looking very good in the HEC at the moment. I really rate Aaron Shingler, great athlete.

Adam Warren is a good call at center, has really jumped out the blocks running Gareth Davies also looking good. great to see gareth Maul back fit again.

Dragons are unlucky to miss two blindsides. But can still manage to put out a good side.

Should be a very good game.

My ones to watch will be Adam Warren (ScTs) and Adam Hughes (DRGs) in the center, should be a good battle. Mind you Tovey/Evans vs Davies/wellies should be good too at halfback..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:28 pm

I'm worried about Gareth Davies. He's built like Scott Gibbs but he's really quick off the mark too. We need to keep an eye on him.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:39 pm

I'm worried about Gareth Davies. He's built like Scott Gibbs but he's really quick off the mark too. We need to keep an eye on him.

Agreed he looks a good player!

Yep, let's hope it makes them complacent...

With our away form I think most teams are complacent when we rock into town.... Shocked
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:56 pm

Looking forward to this. My first team (Dragons) v my 2nd team (Scarlets)! Not expecting the win due to Dragons away form, los of players, etc., etc. Just hoping for a good competitive game and maybe a bonus point.

I'm in awe of the Scarlets back line to be honest (not so much this one, but your first choice team). Scarlets play rugby the way I like and, as I said on another thread, if you had a dominant set piece I think you would be one of the best sides in Europe. Keep it up!

Looking forward to seeing Chavanga with the ball in his hands a bit more as he's lightning. None of the jinking, side step stuff like shane williams. Just pure pace! Also hoping Aled Brew can show the Welsh selectors what they're missing and what us Dragons see in him. In fairness he hasn't shown what he can do at interntaional level, and as such you could argue that he's had his chance and not performed so why try again, but give him a run of games at international level and I'm convinced he'll do very well. Unfortunately for him he's the sort of player that needs a run of games to get into the groove. That's why he's flourished at the Dragons and struggled at the other regions where he played bit part roles.

Scarlets by 5 I reckon!

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:42 pm

I am worried about that Dragons backline - it's got some serious talent. But it's good to see Maule, Reynolds and G Davies back, all very talented youngsters. Think (hope) our pack should have too much for yours but I am really worried about the damage Tovey and Chavi could do to us - I'm just glad that the Dragons are away as they are poor travellers and that should see us through.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:02 pm

Despite seeing a good back line for us which could hopefully see us sneak it, it proves to me again what a pointless waste of time the Wales v Australia match is.

The WRU are just money grabbers and are denying fans the chance to see a great derby game full of current top of their game Welsh Internationals.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:08 pm

Couldn't agree more Bedford - underlined by how fatigued most of the internationals are and the fact that most of them are injured - as a result the last thing they need is a big international to play.

Still both teams are bringing through lots of exciting youngsters so hopefully they should ensure an exciting game

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:40 pm

A Welsh regional derby should be one of the highlights of the season; the WRU should have taken that into consideration, if only they could see beyond the pound signs in their eyes.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:59 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:A Welsh regional derby should be one of the highlights of the season; the WRU should have taken that into consideration, if only they could see beyond the pound signs in their eyes.

Couldn't have said it better

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:24 pm

Didn't notice earlier but will be interesting to see how our new winger/FB Iongi does and it's nice to see Manu and Emyr Phillips back - once this Oz game is out of the way we're going to have a very strong squad -

1. I Thomas, P Jones, R Jones
2. Rees, K Owen, E Phillips, K Myhill
3. R Thomas, D Manu, S Gardiner, R Jones
4. S Timani, D Day,
5. D Welch, A Shingler, L Reed
6. McCusker, A Shingler, Gilbert
7. Turnbull, Murphy, McCusker
8. Morgan, Murphy
9. Knoyle, G Davies
10. R Priestland, S Jones, J Williams, Newton
11. Lamont, Lee Williams, Stoddart, Reynolds
12. J Davies, A Warren, Reynolds
13. S Williams, G Maule
14. G North, Iongi, Liam Williams,
15. Stoddart, Iongi, Fenby, Liam Williams, D Evans

I know I've put a few players in a few times, but that's just to demonstrate their versatility, but I think it shows plently of depths

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:21 pm

Few players missing from that on top Smirnoff. Have to say though, we have got a lot of promise coming through, but we ain't won anything yet. We've fallen behind in the league and have two tricky fixtures against Munster in the HC to negotiate soon. If we qualify for the knockouts in either comp it'll be a good result, particularly the HC.

Having said that, I'm enjoying the Welch/Timani combo in the boilerhouse and let's hope we get the result against the Dragons. The backline isn't that inexperienced - Maule and Dan Evans have both been around for a while now to be fair.

YMLAEN YSGARLEDS!!!!! Yahoo
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by SubsBench Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:30 pm

I like Maul but Dan Evans can be very hit or miss, and its not like we can call on experienced players to come in the backs either. Sorry to show my ignorance but dont know who Iongi is?

SubsBench

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:03 pm

Priest,

I am sure it will be avery good game.

BUT after the performances of the likes of Charteris, Lydiate, Faletau, Priestland, Williams, Davies and North at the WC its such a shame fans won't be able to seethem go head to head so to speak.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:15 pm

Iongi is the samoan back 3 player we signd a month ago but hes just joined now

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by SubsBench Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:17 pm

Thanks Priest

SubsBench

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:41 pm

He's Tongan isn't he, not Samoan? He only arrived this week as well, am quite surprised to see him on the bench!

Otherwise, I like the look of that Scarlets team. Yes some players are very inexperienced but hopefully the likes of Warren and Reynolds can really step up again and deliver the goods. Can't wait to get to this one now!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:43 pm

Newport are a good team but I think Llanelli will win this one

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:45 pm

oh aye Jimmy? I didn't know they were playing tomorrow Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by SubsBench Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:46 pm

So Iongi is either Samoan or Tongan. At least we've established that he isnt a New Dock Star product Smile

SubsBench

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:47 pm

aha! Tongan!

http://www.scarlets.co.uk/eng/news/4382.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:48 pm

my goodness, he only arrived today, I thought he got here on Monday, how's he going to be ready for a bench spot?!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:50 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:oh aye Jimmy? I didn't know they were playing tomorrow Whistle

I mean Llanelli and Newport RFC regions...not the clubs

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:55 pm

Jimmy Moz wrote:
rugbydreamer wrote:oh aye Jimmy? I didn't know they were playing tomorrow Whistle

ha yeah I know that! Why not say Scarlets and Dragons though? (as they represent more than Llanelli and Newport, which I'm sure you know Smile )

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:04 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:ha yeah I know that! Why not say Scarlets and Dragons though? (as they represent more than Llanelli and Newport, which I'm sure you know Smile )

Lets be honest...all the Welsh regions are just rebranded versions of the clubs (Llanelli RFC, Swansea RFC, Cardiff RFC, Newport RFC) so why bother using the made up names? I lived in Treforest for 3 years as a student and Cardiff Blues certainly do not represent the people of Pontypridd

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:06 pm

There's always one. Thought they got left behind on old 606.
Should be a good game and a chance to see yet more young talent from these 2 regions. What a blessing for welsh rugby that neither region has had little to spend over the past few years and just look how it's benighted the national team. The scarlets are churning out talent in the back-line for fun. Unbelievable to think that Lyons and king's departure hasn't been missed. A fantastic 5 points at Northampton last week. I think this'll be close, but the scarlets to sneak it. Maybe a LB point for the dragons.
Anybody else feel that this Rabo 12 won't hot up til the end of march? Another 2 weeks without the international, then back to Europe. Such a shame the world cup players are missing again.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:07 pm

oooooh sooo tempting to bite at that.

All I'll say is that I'm from Carmarthenshire, not just Llanelli, and I've always supported the Scarlets, not just Llanelli. We've been a region for years and years. I shall shush now.

So excited for this match. Looking at how attack minded both the Dragons and Scarlets have been recently, I'm hoping it's a cracker of a game. Lots of young, talented player picked as well, so should be good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:09 pm

I know, manofgwent, this match could have been billed as an absolute thriller if both sides had access to all of their stars, such a shame it isn't as I reckon it would have drawn in really good crowds, which the regions all desperately need.

Dragons are coming off the back of a great performance against Perpignan, and the Scarlets from their brilliant match against Saints. Both are going to be so pumped up for this, can't beat a derby match really.

Reckon you're right about the Pro12 though, March is when things will really start to get interesting.

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:10 pm

Jimmy. I'd have put money on you having some allegiance with ponty. I have sympathy, but dont hijack this thread. Start a new post. Before you know it, we'll have eddie butler posting that pontypool park should house dragons games!!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:17 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:
Jimmy Moz wrote:

ha yeah I know that! Why not say Scarlets and Dragons though? (as they represent more than Llanelli and Newport, which I'm sure you know Smile )

Hello boys and girls

Dreamer I am sure he knows its the Scarlets and NG Dragons lass.......... bit of the green eyed monster I would say chin

and I can see why as well considering you have so many Internationals away ..... they are two seriously smoking hot teams, with some great combos, the Dragons have the like of Steve and Steffan Jones on the bench, when both are playing so flipping well, and suddenly the Scarlets have a semi-seriously good pack

It could be a cracker !!!!!

Well done
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:19 pm

manofgwent wrote:Jimmy. I'd have put money on you having some allegiance with ponty. I have sympathy, but dont hijack this thread. Start a new post. Before you know it, we'll have eddie butler posting that pontypool park should house dragons games!!

Dont mean to hijack the thread so sorry. Just explaining my reasons why I dont use Scarlets or Blues etc. Would rather not pretend they are real provinces like Ireland have. Anyway lets hope its a good game

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:34 pm

Jimmy

Its like saying you don't like the sea, so you'll call it a pond

Its progression and evolvement............ you are lucky in Scotland we have just two "major" teams, but lad we had to have it that way or become extinct

I support Musselburgh, Edinburgh, then Scotland...........

Either ignore them and support a lower team like thousands in Wales do, or call them by their proper title and stop been a WUM.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:03 pm

I am looking forward to the game, it is a shame the internationals are not playing but Wales needs the money as the regions are not bringing in the crowds with or without the internationals.

Why is everybody being so hard on "Jimmy" he is only stating a fact backed up by the lack of interest in regional rugby i.e., small and getting smaller crowds! The only viable region is currently the Dragons and maybe the Ospreys shirt company the other two team are bust!

Back to the thread, I think the Dragons could nick this one as they perform better away against Welsh teams.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:05 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:Jimmy

Its like saying you don't like the sea, so you'll call it a pond

Its progression and evolvement............ you are lucky in Scotland we have just two "major" teams, but lad we had to have it that way or become extinct

I support Musselburgh, Edinburgh, then Scotland...........

Either ignore them and support a lower team like thousands in Wales do, or call them by their proper title and stop been a WUM.

Well said

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:07 pm

Actually GlamAl crowd numbers are increasing and just because the Dragons fill 3/4ers of their stadium most games doesn't mean they make more money - they still sell less tickets and shirts than the other regions.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:10 pm

I think Warren should be at 12 and Maule at 13 for the Scarlets. Hard to see past a Scarlets win here, they got the momentum going for them right now.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:35 pm

Shall not take the bait of the wummer.
Feel that Scarlets will have too much for us.Hope Tovey and Brew show WG what he is missing.
Scarlets by 10.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:37 pm

Smirnoff:

The Dragons are not £5.5M in debt, they are cash neutral.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:26 pm

manofgwent wrote:Jimmy. I'd have put money on you having some allegiance with ponty. I have sympathy, but dont hijack this thread. Start a new post. Before you know it, we'll have eddie butler posting that pontypool park should house dragons games!!

mog,

Not wanting to hijack the thread either andd bit of topic but I am from Ebbw but happily support and watch (when I can) my Region. I also know they are now starting to attract more fans from the whole of Gwent.

BUT that said the future of all Regions lie in our youngsters out there and to that end I still believe that some games, maybe the LV ones could be taken to ECP or Pontypool or Abertillery, especially given petrol costs etc for families if they want to take youngsters down to Dave.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by overlordofthewest Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:38 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:

mog,

Not wanting to hijack the thread either andd bit of topic but I am from Ebbw but happily support and watch (when I can) my Region. I also know they are now starting to attract more fans from the whole of Gwent.

BUT that said the future of all Regions lie in our youngsters out there and to that end I still believe that some games, maybe the LV ones could be taken to ECP or Pontypool or Abertillery, especially given petrol costs etc for families if they want to take youngsters down to Dave.

Not wanting to go off topic but I was (and still am I suppose) a Pontypridd fan. After regionalisation it was expected we'd all support the Cardiff Blues. What a joke! You can't expect fans to suddenly want to watch what have been your rivals for decades. Just the use of Cardiff in the name alienated most of the valleys who were thought by the WRU to start supporting them. Most of the rugby fans I know will continue to show support to their local team and as they want to watch the international class players too have adopted a regional side. There are loads of Dragons fans in Ponty, half of Merthyr and Ebbw Vale support the Ospreys and this is shown throughout Wales. The trouble is, as they don't want to support the team they should - Merthyr & Ponty 'should' support the Blues, Ebbw Vale and Tredigar 'should' support the Dragons etc they support teams that are not local and therefore are armchair supporters who rarely turn up for a game. This isn't helped by the TV coverage in Wales. Yes it's great they televise 3of the 4 regions every week, but it doesn't encourage people to get down to game.
If there was true regionalisation then there should be games played around the region and the 'Cardiff , Newport and Llanelli should be dropped from the names.

Anyway, I'm going on a bit.
On topic; really looking forward to the game, it's good to see the youngsters get more gametime but it is frustrating that we won't see some of the stars due to international duty. The Scarlets haven't been hit too badly until this year and now we're seeing what the Ospreys and Blues had to put up with for years. Part of me is gutted and part of me thinks at least our kids are proving themselves on the big stage.
It should be a cracker of a game anyway,both sides are missing key players and we'll see some people pushing to get noticed/prove their worth. As Scarlets fan, my one eye will predict a win for us but it's going to be close.
Good to see Maule back too.

overlordofthewest

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:30 am

Bedford:

Well said I have been saying this on the old 606 but getting the guys from Dave to buy into playing lesser games around the region is a no no for many Dragons supporters on here.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:53 am

Bedford:

Well said I have been saying this on the old 606 but getting the guys from Dave to buy into playing lesser games around the region is a no no for many Dragons supporters on here.

I'm a Newport and Dragons fan, to be honest I wouldn't mind driving up to Ponty or Keys to go watch the Dragons in the LV. They only thing that would concern me is if 5,000 turn up would the grounds be able to cope in regards of serving refreshments food etc? Also would they have the capacity to house the number of supporters?

If this did happen would the people outside Newport reciprocate this movement by then travelling to Newport for Amlin and Pro12 matches?
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:53 pm

I think it would encourage fans to come down to Newport for games if games were played in Keys/Ponty, especially as the fans may start getting a taste for the excitement of watching the team and start building an affinity with the players.

I did like the way the Scarlets played a few games in the North and Mid Wales but that sadly seems to have stopped - though to be fair our region has decreased in size and there aren't many stadiums big enough for regional games in our region.

And Overlord - the Scarlets dropped Llanelli from their name around 3 seasons ago.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:19 pm

I'd be all in favour of some of the Dragons' home games being played elsewhere around Gwent.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:23 pm

You have to look at the viable options mind. Where else in Gwent can fans car parks, public travel and accommodation be assured? Because it certainly isn't in Tredegar, Pontypool or Ebbw Vale.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:39 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:I'd be all in favour of some of the Dragons' home games being played elsewhere around Gwent.

There really is no need to be honest.
I went to the Newport V Pontypool game this season at Rodney Parade and it was pretty full with a great atmosphere. If that many Pontypool fans can journey down to Newport to watch a Gwent Derby then they could easily go down and watch the Dragons play.

If you want to promote the Dragons at Pontypool then have the Dragons play Newport RFC at Pontypool Park, the Pooler fans could get behind the Dragons against their hated rivals Newport! Also having the Dragons away kit in Pontypool colours wouldn't hurt either.

I live in Bridgend and hate it when the Ospreys go there to play, the stadium is antiquated, car parking a nightmare and it is totally unsuitable for modern rugby, stick to the big cities and more suitable stadiums.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next