The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Movember Warriors

+7
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Davie
Glas a du
WillyGilly
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
prop_lyd
Adam D
11 posters

Go down

The Movember Warriors Empty The Movember Warriors

Post by Adam D Tue 22 Nov 2011, 9:56 pm

The Movember Warriors
By Adam D

This morning I had the pleasure of being invited to the Glasgow Warriors training complex to meet some of the players after their morning workouts.

Upon arrival, any stray person off the street might have thought they had wandered into a cantina bar in Tijuana. For the Scotstoun sports centre had on display, the finest set of Mexican moustaches this side of the Atlantic. But I wasn’t a stray and I was here for Movember, the annual show of support by rugby players worldwide.

My guide for the day was Troy Nathan (@MaoriLeprechaun), the Warriors centre who joined this season and has been a lucky mascot of sorts when starting for the Glasgow outfit this year. In his last 3 starts for the club, Glasgow hit a rich vein of form, racking up 5 wins on the trot until last weekends loss to Leinster. Troy admits his disappointment at last weeks result and stresses the importance of this Fridays game against Ulster.
“We need to carry the momentum we had before last weeks game, into the Rabo tie this Friday. I believe that Glasgow can finish in the top 4 this year.”

The Movember Warriors Movemberglasgow2
Troy sporting his 22 day Mo

But enough of the current state of Scottish rugby, although it is looking particularly rosey at the moment- I was here to talk about the collective efforts of the Warriors on and off field staff for November.

So what is Movember?

In its most simple form, its the amalgamation of Moustache and November. But its also much more than that. It originated in Australia in 2003 and had the simple beginnings of “get 30 men to grow their facial hair for 30 days”. Since then, of course, it has spread across the world, with most rugby playing nations taking part in the annual event, although obviously not limited to rugby players.

The original benefactor was to raise awareness for mens health issues, which has since been replaced more specifically with awareness for prostate cancer.

Indeed, the Warriors are supporting the official UK Movember charity details of which can be found at http://uk.movember.com .So how can we all help?
Well it might be a bit late to join in the mo growing this year (there are strict rules on these things, don’t you know) but you can show your support by donating to the cause. Make sure to support your Mo-bros by digging deep and helping out a fantastic cause.

The Movember Warriors Movemberglasgow
A posse of Mo-Bros from Glasgow

So as Troy took me around and told me more about the cause, I grilled him about his team mates and their respective facial hair.
“John Barclay has the best Mo this year, although he has dyed it black to hide the ginger roots. And the worst has to be Stuart Hogg.”

Indeed walking around the complex with Troy, there were some truly outstanding efforts on display. And what about Troys mo?
“I might keep it” – sounds like Troy might be having a Merry Chrim-mo this year.

As the tour came to an end, I thought I would ask Troy about his team mates and time in Glasgow, having left behind Connacht after 4 years, in which time he became eligible to play for Ireland. Naturally, his first target was his fellow Irish exile, Tommy Seymour.

“He’s the grumpiest man in the world – he should really learn to smile”.

Of course, it was all said in good humour but that was something that became apparent in our last few minutes – the team spirit at the Warriors is incredible and its no surprise that everyone has got on board with the Movember efforts.

His final parting shot was aimed at the Scotland lock, Richie Gray.
“He’s [Richie] always stealing the limelight – especially after his last minute try against Bath. And now they are printing off his face and taking pictures all over the world. We got some from Afghanistan recently.”

So as a final question to Troy, having taken on board his ribbing of Richie’s limelight, I asked him if he would ever follow in his fellow centres footsteps (Gavin Henson) and apply to be the star of a future series of the Bachelor.
“I loved that show and it would be great wouldn’t it. I think my missus would kill me though!”

And with that note, the tour was over and Troy bid me farewell. But its not too late to still support the Warriors in their fund raising for Movember. You can do so directly by clicking here - http://uk.movember.com/mospace/2644828/

If you want to catch Troy and the rest of the Warriors, they will be in action in the RaboDirect Pro12 this Friday against Ulster – ticket details here - Ticket Hotline

A big thank you from 606v2 for all the players and staff who welcomed me today.
Adam D
The Movember Warriors Movember

Last edited by Adam D on Fri 25 Nov 2011, 12:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

The Movember Warriors Empty Re: The Movember Warriors

Post by prop_lyd Tue 22 Nov 2011, 10:15 pm

Good read!! Any free 'stash'?! Wink
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 22 Nov 2011, 10:18 pm

Superb, Hobo - glad that you enjoyed some warm Glaswegian hospitality OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Wed 23 Nov 2011, 12:11 am

Hobo it looks as though in your first pic you've shaved your mo off? I hope this isn't the case.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 23 Nov 2011, 7:53 am

I have to admit that I did shave it off on Mnday morning due to a important meeting I had to attend (a job interview). The Picture at the bottom was taken on Friday night.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 23 Nov 2011, 8:01 am

Hobo is a very appropriate nickname

Run
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 23 Nov 2011, 8:02 am

Wasn't there a forum rule about putting images into spoiler tags? Whistle

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 23 Nov 2011, 8:03 am

Fair play to Morrison, never thought he'd have a sense of humour. It suits Kellock!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 23 Nov 2011, 10:41 am

Haha Hobo, I shaved mine off on Monday too.

Everytime I spoke to someone the hairs were jabbin into the side of my face.

Plus I got too much abuse from workmates about the whole Brendan thing.

Still raised £60 which has been donated. So it was all good.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 23 Nov 2011, 10:45 am

Can't believe people are shaving before the end of the month, should have to refund the donations and pay it out of your own pocket.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmythebullet Wed 23 Nov 2011, 8:54 pm

Collecting donations & shaving it off early amounts to fraud. I will be keeping mine til next thursday, maybe even longer. Starting to get used to it now..

Jimmythebullet

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 24 Nov 2011, 10:42 am

I can't grow one because, as a surgeon, it becomes extremely difficult with the face covering required in the operating theatre. I didn't shave during my two week holiday in August, and I looked like Yasir Arafat (when alive, not now). Not attractive, to say the least.

On the other hand my 14 year old son is growing his, along with many boys in his school (hopefully none of the girls). In many cases, its not more than their first peach fuzz coming in, but they look great. Here in the US, they are calling it "No Shave November". The school was uncomfortable with this, but my son sent the Movember web site to the school so they would know this was a truly global phenomenon and for a good cause (prostate cancer). My son got the credit for making it acceptable, and even got some teachers to grow it out. The school has now arranged a "shave off" for Wednesday. They made it all in fun. As it should be. And the local newspaper will be there taking pictures.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Thu 24 Nov 2011, 9:32 pm

being 17 and have blonde hair, i am only now starting to see vague signs of a tash =(

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down