The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dublin GAA

2 posters

Go down

Dublin GAA Empty Dublin GAA

Post by bluemoda Mon 21 Nov 2011, 2:21 pm

On yesterdays Sunday Times there was an article about Dublin GAA and HQs intention to spread the gospel in the capital. They are particuarly concerned about the vast new housing estates which have been recently been build, but where there is no history of the gaa and obviously, because they are new, they lack any sense of community, the very thing the gaa is based on and prides itself on In recognition of the fact that they have a very difficult task ahead of them to to promote the games in such estates, they realise they can't go the traditional route, ie, community based volunteerism. HQ recognise that such promotion will require paid employees. They spoke about the need for about 20 new clubs in the capital as the existing clubs are bursting and are becoming super clubs. While I agree with the notion that if the gaa is strong and thriving in Dublin, it will thrive throughout the country, but surely, even HQ can't expect those who give their time for nothing around the country and in Dublin to sit back and accept others getting paid for doing the same job. Isn't this the route of professionalism. No matter what way you look at it, it can't be dressed as something else.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Dublin GAA Empty Re: Dublin GAA

Post by Cari Mon 21 Nov 2011, 4:04 pm

Is this the article you're referring to?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/1116/1224307637001.html

Surely, those expanding communities can just get involved with an existing nearby club? Why create a whole new one? Is it to do with the local schools/parishes? These are (from what I can gather) only proposals, so i don't think it's anything to get too worked up about.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Mon 21 Nov 2011, 4:25 pm

Hi Cari, good article, but it's not the one I'm referring to. It was definately the Sunday Times. The parish rule doesn't really apply in Dublin and the existing clubs are really too big. It's not so much Dublin's population, it is it's spread. The concern about the expanding communities is that mostly they are not necessarily Irish inhabited but immigrants and the difficulty in spreading the game to their kids, as the schools can no longer be relied upon. The feeling is that if the gaa don't get these kids playing, it's a wasted opportunity. Which is what it would be as there are bound to be buckets of untapped talent there. Though this wouldn't be confined specifically to Dublin. It's a challenge but not an unsurmountable one.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 21 Nov 2011, 5:43 pm

Ah OK. I thought they might've put something on the web, but they didn't other than that one.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down