The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PDV - Next Springbok Coach

+5
Biltong
Gatts
emack2
Taylorman
Otagolad
9 posters

Go down

PDV - Next Springbok Coach Empty PDV - Next Springbok Coach

Post by Otagolad Thu 17 Nov 2011, 8:41 pm

Just about wet myself from laughing so hard this morning when I heard that PDV has made the short list for the next coach of the Springboks - surely the administration in SA are having a laugh, or are they....????

Otagolad

Back to top Go down

PDV - Next Springbok Coach Empty Re: PDV - Next Springbok Coach

Post by Taylorman Thu 17 Nov 2011, 8:56 pm

Who else is on it Otago?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu 17 Nov 2011, 9:05 pm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sport/rugby/5991061/Peter-de-Villiers-on-Springboks-coach-shortlist

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 17 Nov 2011, 9:25 pm

Thanks Alan,
Just read it...

"De Villiers has publicly expressed his desire to take South Africa to the 2015 World Cup in England, saying he has learnt valuable lessons from the failed 2011 campaign."

Straight out of Henrys book from 07'. I fact that's what primarily got him back in so a good choice of words.

Thing is, what were the lesson's learned? Not to take the same team of 4 years ago?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu 17 Nov 2011, 9:30 pm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sport/rugby/5991061/Peter-de-Villiers-on-Springboks-coach-shortlist

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Otagolad Thu 17 Nov 2011, 10:02 pm

Surely the lessons learned from 2011 for SA is not to have PDV as coach and to pick your best players and not over the hill players - Smit, I'm looking at you.

Otagolad

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:25 am

When P de Villiers first took over from Jake White,he introduced a more free flowing Game.
At the instigation of Senior players he abandoned it and reverted to the more pragmatic style.
This was presumeably the NH based players,Matfield, Smit, Botha, Butch James,Franny Steyn ,all who had indifferent games whilst NH based.
The slower game would obviously siut the older players better,the point is was it a case of senior players refusing to change.
PDV has had a lot of stick because he tends to put his foot in his mouth but has had good years too 2009 at least the first part.
Could he have changed post 2009 to a more flowing game if his players were`nt supporting it,Dropping Matfield for example would have been unthinkable.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:34 am

PDV........ next England coach!

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 18 Nov 2011, 5:33 am

Kevin de Klerk who sits on the SARU committee has already confirmed that PDV wil not remain as coach.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri 18 Nov 2011, 5:47 am

PDV want to remainspring bok coach.......Better the devil you know i guess. mad

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:01 am

There is just something about PDV that i really dislike. When he first started i thought that he would be good but i cant honestly see him getting the contract again.
His handling of players and media is not that of a very good manager. Would be a good coach though.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:26 am

... put kettle on and waiting for biltong to blow a fuse..

Smile

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:31 am

Well I can tell you boys this. If SARU re-appoints PDV I will concede to the fact that SARU has become gutless politician pleasing idiots and will have no choice but to consider finding an international team outside my country to support.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 18 Nov 2011, 10:09 am

My respect for Bok Rugby is profound it is the best by record in the World bar one,once it was Supreme.Professionlism has`nt helped the Boks,the Wallabies have caught up with them,the All Blacks run away from them.
A Coach is judged by his results especially his RWC results like it or not come RWCS.Coaches cling to the Comfort Blanket of those who have been there before.
In a RWC a style,and experience is perceived to be all,Smit,Butch James,Wilkinson ,Tindall are all examples of players past there sell by date.
By pure luck the All Blacks scraped home without there comfort blankets Carter,Muliana,and nearly McCaw.
South African Rugby is bedevilled by Politics,the win stat since 1903 is 65.6%.PDV`s about 63 % so really not a lot in it and even recent All Black matches it is only 5-6 a far better result than most other nations.
My own take on Coaches is they should be home appointments,Mitchell /Spencer would be your most logical bet but there not Boks.
Mitchell has an impressive track record,BUT with Mallet and Venter returning home maybe there hat is in the ring.
IF I was a Bok Coach,it would be clear home based players ONLY would be considered.NH based players have failed to live up to there reputations in the recent past.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 18 Nov 2011, 10:44 am

eirebilly wrote:There is just something about PDV that i really dislike. When he first started i thought that he would be good but i cant honestly see him getting the contract again.
I tremble at the thought, but in some strange way, don't you think that PDV and Rob Andrew belong together? Even for one season? It would be riveting as a train wreck (which harks back to the conversations about the state of the RFU, eh?).

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 18 Nov 2011, 10:52 am

I think IF PDV is re-elected he has achieved "SQUEAKY`S" Teflon skills.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 18 Nov 2011, 11:11 am

doctor_grey wrote:
eirebilly wrote:There is just something about PDV that i really dislike. When he first started i thought that he would be good but i cant honestly see him getting the contract again.
I tremble at the thought, but in some strange way, don't you think that PDV and Rob Andrew belong together? Even for one season? It would be riveting as a train wreck (which harks back to the conversations about the state of the RFU, eh?).

Haa haa, that would dead funny. Never thought of it like that Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 18 Nov 2011, 4:52 pm

emack2 wrote:I think IF PDV is re-elected he has achieved "SQUEAKY`S" Teflon skills.
Touch of humour there Alan? touche.
My beef with SA is i wish they would cut the cr-!p and just start playing some top end entertaining rugby.
Consider what they are missing out on. Take these 3 players. Beale, dagg and cooper.
Look at the amount of sheer hell these 3 players have carved up over the last 2 years.
SA havnt had a player anywhere near them take the line on as frequently or as consistenly purel because of their inability to expand, to take risks, to move the ball through the hands
Despite the merits of fourie peterson habana etc they are all still defensively minded and they are missing out on some great rugby.
That is the biggest single frustration for me.
Ok to be forward oriented but new innovative thinking is required and if SA want to be truly competitive rather than base a game around forcing errors they need to adapt and get the backs moving more.
Oz need forwards. Sa need backs.
NZ tend to have the right balance so generally come out on top.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 19 Nov 2011, 2:09 am

If one is fair SA have the backs,Hougaard,Lambies,DeJongh,Franny Steyn,Habana,Pietersen,Aplon.
They could certainly move the ball,Rugby is a team game and what suits your team is best.
Playing running rugby is fine if you win,notch up a load of losses,teams go into there shell.
THE best match I have seen in many a year was the All Blacks Semi-Final win. 80 minutes of pure of pure forward magic,Kurtley Beale was missing
in a match like that Cooper is a liability.
I have no problem with so called styles,what does bug me is endless pick and go`s.
When the Scrum half decides to go to sleep,then eventually start another phase.
Really it should be a case of use it or lose it,which is why I like Leonard,or Ellis`s servce frum ruck area as it is swift.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down