The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v Spain - Verdict

+7
User Name
Mad for Chelsea
GG
sportform
Thomond
mystiroakey
legendkillar
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

England v Spain - Verdict - Page 2 Empty England v Spain - Verdict

Post by legendkillar Sat 12 Nov 2011, 7:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

Friendlies always draw different responses. Club managers twitching and fans bemoaning another pointless trip to Wembley which I can understand give the financial climate and the letdown an England performance can draw. However, Pundits and Commentators annoy the crap out of me. Even the fans. This 'myth' and yes I call it a 'myth' that Spain are like this amazing team. Granted they are very talented side. I have seen the 1970 team, the 1974 Total Football Holland team and the 1994 Brazil team. All streets ahead of this Spain crop. If I could sum up Spain's performance tonight, it has been pass pass pass pass, interception, chase chase then pass pass pass. See the thing is yes Spain will dominate the ball and no doubt the possession stats too, but that doesn't win games. What I enjoyed about the England performance was that they said to Spain 'come on' attack us, we will soak up the pressure like a spounge and then take our chance when it comes. The first half was fantastic from England. How many times did Jones find himself in running through the middle of the pitch un-challenged? Imagine that being Gerrard or Rooney? See the picture? Yes the players won't score 8's or 9's in the papers tomorrow, but for me it is a 9/10. Lescott and Jagielka for me were brilliant' Cool and calm when winning the ball and not hoofing it out. My only criticism was the lack of width tonight. I thought Milner was stiffled out on the left. Walcott just didn't do what he did best and stretch the players. Yes Spain doubled up on him, but still for me we just didn't stretch play far enough. Parker and Lampard were brilliant tonight. They hounded Xavi and Iniesta when they could and disrupted the play brilliantly. Spain used width and when that wasn't proving to be fruitacious, they played into England's hands by trying to come into the centre. England took that one chance and Bent was fantastic. He done so much running and despite not getting a goal, made one. A very un-selfish performance. Look deeper. The first half. Why did England look just a bit dangerous when pushing forward? Because when you had Spain with Alonso, Busquets, Iniesta, Silva and Xavi in the middle trying to get width through Arbeloa and Alba and England used Parker, Lampard, Milner, Jones and Cole closing down and the outlet was Walcott and Bent. Normally you would have a full back tuck in and Bent or Walcott would then drop back. This is what was key for England because it opened the middle of the park for England to run down. This performance has re-inhanced my confidence in Capello and England. Parker for me top English in the country right now. Capello got a result and yes both teams missing big guns, but for me it was a giant step forward for England. Jones looking better with each game. Shall have to see what happens againt Sweden. Praise for England all round. Yahoo

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

England v Spain - Verdict - Page 2 Empty Re: England v Spain - Verdict

Post by dancingweeman Mon 14 Nov 2011, 5:32 pm

Oh yeah, i don't think Crouch will get taken for 1 minute. Its just what i'd do in Capellos position.

Crouch has obviously fallen behind Zamora/Carroll/Agbonlahor in the pecking order over the last year and a half, despite a very decent scoring record at international level.

dancingweeman

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2