The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More fantastic honest attempts at match-making by Mr A.

+7
superflyweight
Scottrf
School Project
Sugar Boy Sweetie
AlexHuckerby
paperbag_puncher
BALTIMORA
11 posters

Go down

More fantastic honest attempts at match-making by Mr A. Empty More fantastic honest attempts at match-making by Mr A.

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 08 Nov 2011, 2:46 am

Seems that according to boxingscene.com Bob Arum is talking about any potential fight between Pacquiao and Sergio Martinez not only having a catchweight of 150lbs but also a same-day weigh-in.

In the article at http://www.boxingscene.com/arum-pacquiao-martinez-possible-same-day-weigh---45795 Bob Arum is quoted as saying:
"Here is the problem with Martinez. Let me tell you the problem with Martinez. Martinez says 'I'll fight him at 150,' but that's bullsh**. That means he'll dehydrate until the afternoon of the weigh-in and come to the ring at 175, which he's done before. What I say is, if you really want to fight Manny Pacquiao - I have a simple way to do it. You said 150, you will fight at 150, then let's go to a commission, and not necessarily this [Las Vegas ] commission....maybe New York, maybe Texas, wherever. And say 'both fighters want to do the fight and they want to go back to the old days and we'll weigh in on the day of the fight, at 150. If he wants to do that, we can start talking,"

So now it's not enough that a catchweight be imposed, but Arum wants Martinez to enter the ring in what would effectively be his dehydrated, sub-peak and potentially dangerous condition. I'm a little curious too as to the real reasons behind Arum's apparent aversion to staging fights in Vegas. Could it be solely monetary, or could it transpire that there's a more nefarious reasoning behind it?

I know the ultimate decision rests with Martinez, and that this is probably no more than talk to grab headlines, but if this fight was to go ahead with the stipulations mentioned what does it add to Pacquiao's legacy? He can beat all the 'bigger' guys in the world but if it's only under his own conditions it's next to worthless. I hope this is all talk, but after the lambasting Mayweather received over the rumours that he's considering fighting Morales (a rumour spread by Bob Arum, no less), I figure Pacquiao should be held accountable in the same way over this proposal.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

More fantastic honest attempts at match-making by Mr A. Empty Re: More fantastic honest attempts at match-making by Mr A.

Post by paperbag_puncher Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:03 am

Its really getting ridiculous at this stage. What credit could Pacquiao possibly get for beating a half starved, drained shell of Martinez. Instead of kicking on and enhancing Pacquiao's legacy as much as possible in its twilight, Arums making a mockery of it with his proposed match making.

BALTIMORA wrote:I have a simple way to do it. You said 150, you will fight at 150, then let's go to a commission, and not necessarily this [Las Vegas ] commission....maybe New York, maybe Texas, wherever. And say 'both fighters want to do the fight and they want to go back to the old days and we'll weigh in on the day of the fight, at 150. If he wants to do that, we can start talking,"

Or why not go back to the real olden days where the smaller fighters who intended on moving up in weights actually bulked up and faced their bigger rivals at that weight and none of this backwards tripe. Next Arum will be boasting that Manny will fight Wlad Klitschko if he boils down to 10 and a half stone...

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

More fantastic honest attempts at match-making by Mr A. Empty Re: More fantastic honest attempts at match-making by Mr A.

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 08 Nov 2011, 7:33 am

love it how he has to go back to an old school weigh in but catchweights are fine. arum jesus just leave boxing for the sake of it you have made a ridiculous amount of money now stop ripping the fans off.

god i hate him i cant think of another promoter that has been such a drain for the sport, even though don kings an awful man he would make things the fans wanted to see with stacked cards even if the fighters have to keep an eye on there pockets. arum is a joke he needs to just retire or just get that awful grin off his face because i want to set onetwo on him!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue 08 Nov 2011, 8:05 am

So when mayweather asks for random drug testing the Arum response is: mayweather doesn't make the rules.

But to fight Martinez Arum proposes a change to the rules to include same day weigh in - even though this was outlawed because it put fighters health at risk? Essentially the supposed 154lb champ (ha ha) will only fight an opponent at 150 and that's providing he puts his health at risk with same day weight in. Why doesn't Arum go the whole hog and ask for Sergios boot laces to be tied together.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 08 Nov 2011, 8:11 am

spot on SBS

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:41 am

Didn't Chavez Jr weigh 180 in his Middleweight fight? One rule for one I guess...

Arum needs to sod off, he's a bane on the sport. Classless horrible old man.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:52 am

Yeah something like that. Arum needs to hurry up and snuff it. He's a despicable amoral worm of a man and this continued manipulation of the rules is simply tarnishing the reputations of those around him. As Sugar Boy said; Mayweather is crucified for demanding blood testing, while Arum is happy for Martinez to risk his health by coming in dehydrated. Absolute dirtbag.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:54 am

he is awful and ruining the sport with his hypocrisy.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:56 am

Can’t happen, no point getting annoyed about it.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:58 am

Scottrf wrote:Can’t happen, no point getting annoyed about it.
Never say never. He has deep pockets and friends in high places.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 08 Nov 2011, 10:07 am

If Martinez ever agreed to this then he'd be a moron.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 08 Nov 2011, 10:12 am

no but team manny can claim martinez has ducked him "the contract was there"

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 08 Nov 2011, 10:30 am

Agreed it's Arum being a hypocrite. I don't wish death on anyone, but i wouldn't be sad if he were to be hit by a fast moving truck.

Funny thing is his next in command is more likely to open up Top Rank from its current in-house, weight draining, fight fixing in the contracts, ways.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 08 Nov 2011, 10:59 am

He's a massive hypocrite, and about as untrustworthy as they come but he's also a sad indictment of how money holds the reigns.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 08 Nov 2011, 11:25 am

I don't agree with what the old zombie is purposing but I haven't once heard Manny call for this fight. Its been Martinez that is claiming that Manny and Mayweather are ducking him.

Manny already said he can't go passed 150 so I think the senario of when the little guy moves up in weight to fight the big guy is uncalled for here because Manny doen't seem to be asking to move up any further and I haven't heard him calling out anymore "bigger" guys.

Marteniz should concentrate on his own division instead of trying to get fighters 2 weight divisions below him to bulk up and fight him. He can't go crying when he's asked to move down.

That being said, Arum is a horrible old sh!t who deserves to be locked up if this took place.

But I agree with Scott, people shouldn't get annoyed because its not going to happen.

Martinez seems to get away with this BS too due to his nice guy persona.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 08 Nov 2011, 11:40 am

Some good points Reborn, if Martinez wants the fight then he will have to do what they want as Pacquiao or Mayweather doesn't need him, Arum is a Holly Wilaboobie though and may tarnish Pacquiao's career.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 08 Nov 2011, 11:52 am

The Galveston Giant wrote:Some good points Reborn, if Martinez wants the fight then he will have to do what they want as Pacquiao or Mayweather doesn't need him, Arum is a Holly Wilaboobie though and may tarnish Pacquiao's career.
That's my chief concern. People will see the association and assume bad things. I do.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 08 Nov 2011, 12:08 pm

I think the main issue is that Arum is happy for Manny to fight someone desperately at a disadvantage when they are not able to cherry pick.

One thing that sickens me more than this, is that Arum, Roach and all the nuthuggers are all but willing to accept Manny as an 8 weight champ. Yet he can't fight above 150? What was the LMW fight for then??

If Arum isn't happy with Martinez rehydrating then he should force Chavez to move to Cruiserweight, abolish his silly little catchweights for his Philippino cash cow and put him in the ring with a boxer that doesn't resemble a corpse or Mayweather leftover.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 08 Nov 2011, 12:17 pm

That's what got me-the way he makes out like Martinez is in the wrong for rehydrating. There needs to be a better standard across the board.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 08 Nov 2011, 12:52 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:I don't agree with what the old zombie is purposing but I haven't once heard Manny call for this fight. Its been Martinez that is claiming that Manny and Mayweather are ducking him.

Manny already said he can't go passed 150 so I think the senario of when the little guy moves up in weight to fight the big guy is uncalled for here because Manny doen't seem to be asking to move up any further and I haven't heard him calling out anymore "bigger" guys.

Marteniz should concentrate on his own division instead of trying to get fighters 2 weight divisions below him to bulk up and fight him. He can't go crying when he's asked to move down.

That being said, Arum is a horrible old sh!t who deserves to be locked up if this took place.

But I agree with Scott, people shouldn't get annoyed because its not going to happen.

Martinez seems to get away with this BS too due to his nice guy persona.

agree however martinez has recently stated that he is happy to fight at 150 but now after that arum has moved the goal posts again by saying it must be an on the day weigh in... which is dispicable. just a fat old ugly hypocrit.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 08 Nov 2011, 8:36 pm

Dear old dear but old Manny these days is like a gunfighter who takes the bullet out of the other cowboy's gun before the duel starts..

Pathetic and to think some rate him higher than Floyd..

Vitali next at a catchweight of 180...

To think He was Curry's promoter.......shame we didn't have catchweight then....

Honey at 151 and he slaps his butt...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down