The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Eng team ranked amongst the 5 greatest test teams in history

+15
JDizzle
Stella
dummy_half
sirfredperry
Leff
Biltong
Mike Selig
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
Galted
Fists of Fury
djlovesyou
skyeman
Hoggy_Bear
anu_d
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Current Eng team ranked amongst the 5 greatest test teams in history - Page 2 Empty Current Eng team ranked amongst the 5 greatest test teams in history

Post by anu_d Sat 05 Nov 2011, 12:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://www.espncricinfo.com/greatestteams/content/story/538999.html

by CI experts

anu_d

Back to top Go down

Current Eng team ranked amongst the 5 greatest test teams in history - Page 2 Empty Re: Current Eng team ranked amongst the 5 greatest test teams in history

Post by guildfordbat Wed 16 Nov 2011, 10:31 pm

JD and Leff - cracking posts. Both very astute.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Current Eng team ranked amongst the 5 greatest test teams in history - Page 2 Empty Re: Current Eng team ranked amongst the 5 greatest test teams in history

Post by Mike Selig Thu 17 Nov 2011, 12:12 pm

dummy_half wrote:No way should the Windies from 80 to 95 be considered as a single team, especially as the 1980 team really came together in the 5 years preceeding then. I'd say that the first incarnation (Greenidge, Haynes, Richards, Lloyd, Holding, Roberts, Garner and Croft / Marshall) was stronger (i.e more strength in depth) than the latter line-up with the likes of Richardson, Walsh, Ambrose, Bishop. The earlier team was clearly one of the two best in history (between them and the Aussies of the later 90s and 00s - a worthy debate above).

Definitely too early for the current England team to be listed as being in the top 5 - we might make it, but need to keep winning consistently for a few years to prove the greatness that we hope is there. At present though it is reasonable to say that this tean hasn't yet matched the England sides of the 50s or Illingworth's side of around 1970.

The inclusion of the South Africans of the immediate pre-boycott era is interesting, and is perhaps more a case of judging on talent and potential rather than results over a period. Based on both their limited Test records and how they subsequently performed in first class cricket, there was obvioulys abundant taklent in that side, and it was circumstances beyond their immediate control that limited their opportunities.

Great post: agree with it entirely (although you've left out one Brian Charles Lara from your latter day West Indies side).

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 17 Nov 2011, 1:21 pm

G'bat. No cine film of the 63 E v Windies series but an excellent book by Windies writer Ralph Barker.
Altho intensely exciting, that last day at Lord's when a broken-armed Cowdrey had to come out to save the day (not actually facing, though) was one of the first times we saw a very slow overrate.
Amid the drama it was overlooked that Windies bowled hardly any overs in the last hour. Wes Hall had an immensely long run-up and hardly raced through his overs. Now, with x number of overs in the last hour, England would have had time to win the match.
The over rate - or a lack of a daily minimum - was something that aided Windies amazingly in their great run of victories in the 1980s.
It was as if the rules were written especially to aid them. No limit on the bouncers and you can bowl as few overs a day as you like. No wonder they were so hard to beat.
They would counter that a minimum over rule would just have led to their winning much quicker !

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 17 Nov 2011, 2:57 pm

The West Indies began to go downhill in the early 90's IMO. England drew with them at home, whilst the Aussies were beginning to dominate.
I know the Windies didn't lose until 1995 but IMO they were second best before that.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 30 Mar 2012, 7:16 am

I think the original article is starting to look a bit silly.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 30 Mar 2012, 8:34 am

If it comes with the caveat of 'except on the sub-continent' then it probably retains some credibility Wink

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 30 Mar 2012, 8:40 am

To be fair, i do believe that this England can be decent on the sub continent. The only problem i see is lack of confidence and the possibility over over coaching in the batting.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 30 Mar 2012, 8:45 am

I also think they can be decent on the sub-continent, apart from the first test against Pakistan they haven't exactly been overwhelmed, confidence seems to be quite a huge problem.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 30 Mar 2012, 8:47 am

The makings are there for a very good team in the sub continent conditions Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 30 Mar 2012, 9:07 am

It merely proves that being a great team isn't that easy. I said before there are 4 teams at the moment who can challenge for the number 1 spot. Nobody is dominating. A country can have a series of tours that play to their strengths and they gain favourable results, then there can be a period where the tours aren't that easy where conditions and opponents themselves are on the upsurge.

Only Australia has had a great team in the last 20 years.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 30 Mar 2012, 9:10 am

I agree bilong, hitting the heights is one thing maintaining the intensity is another.

That said, i stand by my views that England have a very good team and certainly one that can win in the sub continent.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sat 31 Mar 2012, 12:29 pm

I think we're still a good team. 4-0 so far this winter I think is a bit harsh: our bowlers have got us into a winning position in 3 of those matches. When we do well our bowling tends to be our strength (early 2000's, 2004-5 team, current team).

Still think the batting needs freshening up, Strauss is the biggest problem and its putting pressure on the rest of the order. I think it could be time for a change, Cook is the obvious option as captain.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by atletico86 Tue 03 Apr 2012, 11:56 am

i dont think u can call a team a great team if they have only been number 1 for a short period. You can only call yourself great if you prove to be no1 over a sustained period of time; which this england team have not yet done.

Although a bit understandable after some yrs of not being near no1 in the world, some of the english cricket hacks went a bit mad and declared this ludicrous statement of being one of the 5 greatest ever teams.

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Thu 05 Apr 2012, 6:21 pm

South Africa during the isolation era of the 1980's also had 2 other fine batsmen in Henry Fotheringham and Kevin McKenzie, both of whom would have walked into any other test nation's cricket team at that time if they were offered such a chance. Anyway back to England, what about the England team of the 1980's which won 3 ashes series with the likes of Brearley, Boycott, Botham, Gower, Gatting, Gooch, Willis, together with a great spin bowler in John Emburey.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2