The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wallabies announce Summer Test Fixtures, Dates and Venues

+4
formerly known as Sam
IanBru
Glas a du
MBTGOG
8 posters

Go down

Wallabies announce Summer Test Fixtures, Dates and Venues Empty Wallabies announce Summer Test Fixtures, Dates and Venues

Post by MBTGOG Fri 04 Nov 2011, 9:26 am

It will be 143 years since the last time the Wallabies played in Newcastle, but in 2012 the city will host the opening Test of the season against Scotland in a mid-week Test to kick-off a new-look international rugby union season for Australia.
In a press conference this morning to announce the June 5th game against Scotland, the Australian Rugby Union paid tribute to the new stadium in Newcastle, noting that this was the first international game to be held outside one of Australia’s major cities in the modern era.
Adam Ashley-Cooper, who hails from the Central Coast and grew up playing rugby league and rugby union in the Hunter and Central Coast regions, was on hand to talk about playing in Newcastle for the Wallabies:
“I’m very excited to come back – once I left school and played in Sydney and moved down to Canberra for the last eight years and I never thought I’d have to chance to play in a Test and represent my country back here in the Hunter.”
“There is a strong level of support for the game in the Hunter – and a great history of Wallabies to have come from the region – so I’m sure that a big crowd will come out to get behind us against Scotland.”
Channel Nine will have the free-to-air TV rights to the game but with a Tuesday night time-slot for the game, the ARU was unable to say if the game will be live through the main station or digital channel GEM – or on delay.
ARU Deputy CEO Matt Carroll ruled out the possibility of Newcastle and other cities without major stadiums hosting a bigger match, such as a Bledisloe, noting the likely drop in revenue, with Brisbane and Sydney the only venues that are considered suitable.
The ARU also revealed their domestic winter schedule, played during the June international window, which features a traditional three-Test tour by Wales.
The Wallabies warm up for that series with the Tuesday night clash with the Scots at Ausgrid Stadium in Newcastle on June 5.
The Warren Gatland coached Welsh team, which lost the Rugby World Cup third place play-off 21-18 to Australia last month, will play traditional Tests against the Wallabies in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney over consecutive weekends.
The Sydney Test will mark a return to afternoon rugby at the Sydney Football Stadium, the first since 1998.
The four in-bound Tests will be played during a four-week break of the Super Rugby season.
Argentina will then join a rebranded and expanded Tri Nations Test series which will kick off after the Super Rugby finals in August.
ARU boss John O’Neill said the return to the traditional June Tests was a win for rugby fans.
“A return to a three-Test series as we will play against Wales is an opportunity to build anticipation, excitement and momentum during the course of the tour,” O’Neill said.
“It is a long time since we have had that opportunity, to experience a heavyweight northern hemisphere opponent in our backyard for three Tests.
“I’m delighted too that Wales will be that opponent in 2012. I think all Australians understand what the Welsh are capable of in terms of exciting and attacking rugby.
The Wallabies’ June Test schedule: (Kick-off times and ticket on sale dates for all four June Tests will be announced in early 2012.)
June 5 Wallabies v Scotland at Ausgrid Stadium, Newcastle.
June 9 Wallabies v Wales at Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane.
June 16 Wallabies v Wales at Etihad Stadium, Melbourne.
June 23 Wallabies v Wales at Sydney Football Stadium.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Wallabies announce Summer Test Fixtures, Dates and Venues Empty Re: Wallabies announce Summer Test Fixtures, Dates and Venues

Post by Glas a du Fri 04 Nov 2011, 11:42 am

An old fashioned tour. Why don't we have tours in the Autumn rather than these Autumn Internationals?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Wallabies announce Summer Test Fixtures, Dates and Venues Empty Re: Wallabies announce Summer Test Fixtures, Dates and Venues

Post by IanBru Fri 04 Nov 2011, 12:29 pm

Glas, because we tour in (our) Summer, and the SH teams tour to us in the Autumn.

Pretty simple.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 04 Nov 2011, 12:32 pm

No but it would be more interesting to play a SH opponent in different arenas over 3 weeks rather than a different team every week.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 04 Nov 2011, 12:33 pm

I know that! I'll put it another way. Why do we play three one test series instead of one three test series?

(What he said ^)

Last edited by Glas a du on Fri 04 Nov 2011, 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : agreement with previous poster)
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 04 Nov 2011, 12:42 pm

It`s a start like a two or three match series in UKversus SH side plus a couple of club matches.like the Leicester one v the Boks,and the Munster one versus All Blacks

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri 04 Nov 2011, 12:53 pm

Scotland will most likely be playing an Aussie Super Rugby side as well and hopefully Wales will follow suit and do something similar. We need to bring this back into the game as it spreads the game to more people and brings back a lot of the magic in rugby culture that has gone missing.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 04 Nov 2011, 12:55 pm

MBTGOG wrote:Scotland will most likely be playing an Aussie Super Rugby side as well and hopefully Wales will follow suit and do something similar. We need to bring this back into the game as it spreads the game to more people and brings back a lot of the magic in rugby culture that has gone missing.

clap
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 04 Nov 2011, 1:03 pm

It would have been better to play the Wales game at Homebush with a 70,000+ crowd than at the SFS with only 42k... but on the plus side it's much better for the fans to hang around the pubs nearer the city before and after the match.

Great idea to play in Newcastle after all those years - you can get up from Sydney in 1hr 45 mins these days... it used to take a few days by horse coach in 1869 with overnight stopovers in Brooklyn and Wyong!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 04 Nov 2011, 4:10 pm

I know that! I'll put it another way. Why do we play three one test series instead of one three test series?

Three game tours have more scope for interest as well. From an English point of view I'd much prefer to see three tests instead of four with two mid week games one against an AP side and one against a Saxons team. Line up those three weeks to correspond with the LV Cup (as normally happens) and who is going to care. The smaller teams who care about the LV Cup will be minimally effected and the big teams who are likely to be significantly weakened won't mind because they don't care about the LV Cup.

Have the first and the last game at Twickers, the second game at Old Trafford, the Saxons game at Newcastle and then let one of the East Mid or West Country teams pick up the other mid week friendly. Make the tour accesible to the country rather than just London.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Stellar Key Fri 04 Nov 2011, 6:13 pm

[quote="Linebreaker"]It would have been better to play the Wales game at Homebush with a 70,000+ crowd than at the SFS with only 42k... but on the plus side it's much better for the fans to hang around the pubs nearer the city before and after the match.

Great idea to play in Newcastle after all those years - you can get up from Sydney in 1hr 45 mins these days... it used to take a few days by horse coach in 1869 with overnight stopovers in Brooklyn and Wyong!

[/quote]

bet yer glad you dont have to do that anymore laughing

This tour adds to the challenge for Wales in 2012 which I hope they can rise to. By the time we get to the middle stage of the year I hope* that Gatland has ensured there is the strength in depth in the squad ,so the team heads out with confidence and expectation of good performances plus a victory or 2 over there.

* [i]that flippin word again[/i].

Stellar Key

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 04 Nov 2011, 6:29 pm

MBTGOG wrote:Scotland will most likely be playing an Aussie Super Rugby side as well and hopefully Wales will follow suit and do something similar. We need to bring this back into the game as it spreads the game to more people and brings back a lot of the magic in rugby culture that has gone missing.

June tours have changed, from now on they will be 3 tests games as the tri nation teams need more revenue and can get it from moving games around their larger countries.
Wales will play 3 games in Australia next June.
Scotland wanted to mix and match with their games and will play more tier B nations.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down