The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland to face Oz, Fiji & Samoa down under in summer 2012

+13
Scot Abroad
R!skysports
RDW
LondonTiger
funnyExiledScot
boomeranga
Glas a du
OzT
Dorothy_Mantooth
chewed_mintie
MBTGOG
RuggerRadge2611
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
17 posters

Go down

Scotland to face Oz, Fiji & Samoa down under in summer 2012 Empty Scotland to face Oz, Fiji & Samoa down under in summer 2012

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 04 Nov 2011, 8:15 am

Scotland 2012 summer tourGood news, and delighted to see that we'll face Fiji and Samoa Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Scotland to face Oz, Fiji & Samoa down under in summer 2012 Empty Re: Scotland to face Oz, Fiji & Samoa down under in summer 2012

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 04 Nov 2011, 8:20 am

A wee bit more detail in the Scotsman: Scottish tour - it looks like we'll play the Pacific Islanders in Fiji and Samoa, with another match against a Super XV side too. A real chance for us to bed the youngsters into test match rugby Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Scotland to face Oz, Fiji & Samoa down under in summer 2012 Empty Re: Scotland to face Oz, Fiji & Samoa down under in summer 2012

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 04 Nov 2011, 9:03 am

Good to see a southern hemisphere tour for Scotland. According to that article As it seems Robbo was the driving force behind this tour. Good call by him to try and take on Samoa and the Fijians in their back yards too.

Another step in the right direction for Scotland.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri 04 Nov 2011, 9:30 am

Interesting. I think it's a smart decision to take this tour on and could be fantastic for the development of this team. But it does really signal Scotland's stature on the international stage.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Fri 04 Nov 2011, 9:39 am

Good on Scotland for touring the Islands! Should be some cracking games for sure…

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Fri 04 Nov 2011, 9:51 am

MBTGOG wrote:Interesting. I think it's a smart decision to take this tour on and could be fantastic for the development of this team. But it does really signal Scotland's stature on the international stage.

A midweek Test match against Oz is all they think we are worth, from an Aussie point of view its hard to argue otherwise.

I like the idea of us playing the Two Pacific Island sides. Both will be tough games but games where we can be competitive, will learn more from a close game against Samoa (win or lose), than a thrashing by the All Blacks.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Fri 04 Nov 2011, 10:04 am

I don't think it's at all to do with what Oz thinks Scotland is worth at all. In fact that will be the 1st game of the season for the Wallabies, and they're playing a a new venue, so Scotland has the honour of being the 1st test match at a new stadium.

It'll be in Newcastle though, not sure there'll be many rugby supporters there, being quite entrenched in League, the game's played at Newcastle Knight's home ground. But no way is this game being thought of as that's all Scotland's worth.

Besides, if Parks and Hines still selected and play, it'll be a great home coming game for them both, as Parks' a Sydneysider and Hines used to be a leaguee with North Sydney.

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 04 Nov 2011, 10:47 am

Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Fri 04 Nov 2011, 10:50 am

I'm going to head up for it. Only two hours by train, so could come back that night. If Hines was to play I will even give him a cheer as a fellow former Wagga boy.

Bit of trivia - there were two Wagga (born) boys at the world cup. Born in the same hospital, play same position, 1cm difference in wiki height and 1kg difference in wiki weight, and even share a name. Possibly the only two decent rugby players to come out of the town. Guess the other one to go in the running for $5 cash.

It'll be a good tour for the guys that go. I've never been to Fiji, but Samoa is a terrific place and the locals will be rapt to have them visit. It will be quite an event I'd think.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri 04 Nov 2011, 10:57 am

Nathan Sharpe.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 04 Nov 2011, 10:57 am

Nice though it may be, I do hope that Hines and Parks aren't playing in that game!

Looks like a good tour. Hopefully we can make it 2 from 2 against Australia. At least the game isn't on a Sunday, so Euan Murray can march the Aussie scrum backwards.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Fri 04 Nov 2011, 10:59 am

Congratulation MBTGOG. You are in the draw.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Fri 04 Nov 2011, 11:13 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Nice though it may be, I do hope that Hines and Parks aren't playing in that game!

Looks like a good tour. Hopefully we can make it 2 from 2 against Australia. At least the game isn't on a Sunday, so Euan Murray can march the Aussie scrum backwards.

A forward performance like the one against England the other day would be both good and bad for us to face. We would again be a laughing stock, but it's also the only way we might get better. Your scrum was really impressive in that game.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Fri 04 Nov 2011, 11:15 am

Booma, a bit tight with the 5 bucks??? Been told that won't even buy a schooner of New nowadays!!! make it at least a bundy!!! LOL!

Yes Scotland closed the Wallabies down, and won, the last time up in Scotland, so they'll be looking to redeem themselves at this game, specially as will be the 1st of the new international season. Hopefully we'll have the 1st choice pack, well the only pack in the Wallabies camp, to face up and I reckon will have the upper hand as well.

Will be looking forward to all the Scottish games as they should be exciting running games.

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 04 Nov 2011, 11:44 am

Well done Scotland for organising a proper tour and going to Fiji/Samoa.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 04 Nov 2011, 11:48 am

Glas a du wrote:Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

This sort of pointless post annoys me.

What are you saying "oh dear" at? The fixture? The timing? The venue? Scotland's choice of opponents?

This forum is designed for discussion and to be honest I would try discussing the points instead this sort of comment. I can only hope your other 4000+ posts were more worthwhile than this one.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Fri 04 Nov 2011, 11:59 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

What are you saying "oh dear" at? The fixture? The timing? The venue? Scotland's choice of opponents?

This forum is designed for discussion and to be honest I would try discussing the points instead this sort of comment. I can only hope your other 4000+ posts were more worthwhile than this one.

+1

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 04 Nov 2011, 12:38 pm

Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

+1

I thought it was more polite than to say you are going to get smashed. The pacific islanders are hard enough to play against in temperate climates. I doubt many Scotts are used to playing in tropical conditions.

Happier now?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 04 Nov 2011, 12:50 pm

Glas a du wrote:I thought it was more polite than to say you are going to get smashed. The pacific islanders are hard enough to play against in temperate climates. I doubt many Scotts are used to playing in tropical conditions.

Happier now?
Bold, bold prediction there, Glas - doubt that'll be the case tbh. Win or lose this is all about introduing some of the youngsters to the international game, so I'm delighted Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 04 Nov 2011, 12:57 pm

I'd also add that we're a pretty physical side as well. A lot of people said we'd get bullied at the WC by Georgia, Argentina and England but that wasn't the case at all. Our downfall was our lack of creativity and execution skills. Hopefully things that Robinson can continue to work on.

Looks an excellent tour to me.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 04 Nov 2011, 12:58 pm

So bold you put it in bold. I hope in fact you are right and I am wrong. Depends if you stick with your hopeless coaching team in terms of releasing the potential of your backs and how you get on in the 6N I suppose.

You could always go there to defend for the whole game chin
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 04 Nov 2011, 1:00 pm

Glas a du wrote:So bold you put it in bold. I hope in fact you are right and I am wrong. Depends if you stick with your hopeless coaching team in terms of releasing the potential of your backs and how you get on in the 6N I suppose.

You could always go there to defend for the whole game chin
That's a fairly one-eyed comment imo - one aspect that Robbo has instilled in Scotland is a strong defence, but that's just one aspect, even if it is a critical one (tough to beat is a valuable characteristic). We also create a fair few chances, it's our finishing of those, particularly in the red zone, that needs work Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 04 Nov 2011, 1:12 pm

Thaks for the input Glas, and yes I am happier that you expanded on the original comment. It gives us something to discuss since that's the point of an internet forum.

Physicaly the Fijians and Samoans will be tough but no tougher than England, Ireland, Argentina or any of the other opposition we have faced. Granted turning them over on their home turf will be a really big ask.

As other posters have stated I don't see us getting bullied and should be able to match them physicaly, problem is converting our chances. Our pack can compete with the best, its just our finishing prowess that needs turned around. Visser will be qualified by then so I would expect to see him earn his 1st cap against the Ozzies.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 04 Nov 2011, 1:29 pm

Do Fiji and Samoa actually have any rugby stadiums when all of their players play elsewhere?? Those countries are tiny.

I do feel we are on for a doin though playing them in their own backyard.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 04 Nov 2011, 1:38 pm

Let's assume that the forwards/backs squad split of 16/14 that we took to the world cup remains roughly the same, then of the backline that went to NZ this autumn, I would imagine that the following will still be in contention:

Joe Ansbro, Mike Blair, Chris Cusiter, Simon Danielli, Nick De Luca, Max Evans, Ruaridh Jackson, Rory Lamont, Sean Lamont, Rory Lawson, Graeme Morrison, Dan Parks, Chris Paterson

I'd be in favour of leaving out Rory Lawson (tough on him, but I'd like to see Laidlaw travel instead), Rory Lamont (too injury prone) and Morrison (no more, please). So that leaves us with 7:

Joe Ansbro, Mike Blair, Chris Cusiter, Nick De Luca, Max Evans, Ruaridh Jackson, Sean Lamont

and we can add another 9 to bring us up to a 18/16 split in the 34-man touring squad. My 8 additions are in bold giving a back squad that looks like this:

Scrum half (3): Mike Blair, Chris Cusiter, Greig Laidlaw
Fly half (3): Ruaridh Jackson, Harry Leonard, Duncan Weir
Centres (4): Joe Ansbro, Sean Lamont, Nick de Luca, Matt Scott, Mark Bennett
Wings (4): Max Evans, Lee Jones, Tim Visser
Full back (2): Jim Thompson, Stuart Hogg

No shortage of creative skill and pace in that lot, now just need to give them a coach that will add the finishing touches (Chalmers or Donaldson?).

Your thoughts?

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Fri 04 Nov 2011, 1:45 pm

AS - That looks like a good team, but I fear that Morrison will be are starting 12 - so it will not matter who we have outside him - they will struggle

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 04 Nov 2011, 1:47 pm

I would also think Cuthbert will be in contention. Did he not recently put in a MOTM performance for him the week before last including a try?

In truth the backs have a lot of young talent coming through. The front row is more concerning escpecialy loose head. Murray will have a few more seasons for sure and Ford is still really quite young for a hooker and so is Fergie. Cross is a solid player and Low was excellent a couple of seasons ago and I think can recapture that form.

After them I am yet to be convinced by some of our young props.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 04 Nov 2011, 1:48 pm

Riskysports wrote:AS - That looks like a good team, but I fear that Morrison will be are starting 12 - so it will not matter who we have outside him - they will struggle

I'm not sure how much longer he can retain his place at 12 for either Glasgow or Scotland. We are certainly seeing viable alternatives at Edinburgh and Sean Lamont despite not being a born 12 would walk into my Scotland XXII before Morrison.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Fri 04 Nov 2011, 2:32 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Riskysports wrote:AS - That looks like a good team, but I fear that Morrison will be are starting 12 - so it will not matter who we have outside him - they will struggle

I'm not sure how much longer he can retain his place at 12 for either Glasgow or Scotland. We are certainly seeing viable alternatives at Edinburgh and Sean Lamont despite not being a born 12 would walk into my Scotland XXII before Morrison.

True, but that has been the same for a while, and yet Morrison was not only on the plane at the World cup, he was there in the starting 15 - which is quite ironic, as he is the person that stops our back line

AR - likes him and keeps selecting him, even when ALL the evidence suggests he should be put out to pasture. Will that change - I doubt it

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Fri 04 Nov 2011, 2:41 pm

I hope Morrison's time at 12 for Scotland and Glasgow is coming to an end. I like the look of the backs but I agree that Cuthbert will be in contention for the squad, as will Grove.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Fri 04 Nov 2011, 4:42 pm

I do too, but I would not bet my house on his buddy selecting him still

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 04 Nov 2011, 4:52 pm

I agree that Cuthbert will come in ahead of young Hogg in the pecking order. Cuthbert is playing well at Bath at the moment.

Might be too early for young Bennett given (a) he's out for a long time with injury and (b) he'll have a battle on his hands playing any rugby at Clermont.

Grove is starting regularly at Worcester so he may come back into the equation. Another I'd like to see get some game time is Alex Dunbar at Glasgow. He's starting at 13 this weekend and it'll be interesting to see how he gets on.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri 04 Nov 2011, 6:08 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Do Fiji and Samoa actually have any rugby stadiums when all of their players play elsewhere?? Those countries are tiny.

Fiji's national stadium can accommodate 30,000 while Samoa's can hold 15,000.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 04 Nov 2011, 6:27 pm

Yes this information has been out a while. All 6 nations teams must undertake 3 game international tours in June.
Wales, Ireland, France and England have chosen to play 3 tests against the Tri Nation teams, but Scotland will play mainly tier B nations with a one off test against a Tri Nation team.

England are in South Africa.
Wales are in Australia.
Ireland will play New Zealand

I'm not sure what France and Italy are doing yet as I haven't found any information.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 05 Nov 2011, 10:13 am

AlynDavies wrote:Yes this information has been out a while.
Erm, no it hasn't, follow this link and you will see that Scotland announced it on Thurs 3rd Nov: Scotland announce Oz game & tour

AlynDavies wrote:All 6 nations teams must undertake 3 game international tours in June.
That's a rule or directive from the IRB, is it?

AlynDavies wrote:Wales, Ireland, France and England have chosen to play 3 tests against the Tri Nation teams, but Scotland will play mainly tier B nations with a one off test against a Tri Nation team.

England are in South Africa.
Wales are in Australia.
Ireland will play New Zealand
You just can't help yourself have a wee pop at Scotland - so sad thumbsdown

AlynDavies wrote:I'm not sure what France and Italy are doing yet as I haven't found any information.
But you just informed us that "France ... have chosen to play 3 tests against the Tri Nations teams"? Which is it?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Sat 05 Nov 2011, 11:34 am

You tell him Asbo.

It's not a directive but the iRB are becoming much more active in helping sort out the international fixture list and agreed sometime in the past two years that a return to Test series and mid week tour games was the way forward for rugby. I believe they have provisional 3 Test summer tours for the major nations planned out all the way to 2018.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 05 Nov 2011, 11:47 am

You can't win.

By just playing the Tri-Nations you get criticised for not progressing the game internationally or helping the lower-tier nations. If you play the lower-tier nations you get told you're lacking ambition.

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Sat 05 Nov 2011, 11:55 am

I personally think this is a fantastic tour for Scotland.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 05 Nov 2011, 12:03 pm

MBTGOG wrote:You tell him Asbo.

It's not a directive but the iRB are becoming much more active in helping sort out the international fixture list and agreed sometime in the past two years that a return to Test series and mid week tour games was the way forward for rugby. I believe they have provisional 3 Test summer tours for the major nations planned out all the way to 2018.

Sorry, Munsty, but I just give up with posts like this furious

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 05 Nov 2011, 12:04 pm

MBTGOG wrote:I personally think this is a fantastic tour for Scotland.

+1

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 05 Nov 2011, 3:05 pm

I think this is great. I was pleased when it was announced Wales would tour the Pacific though that's still five years off 1) because they're challenging teams to travel to and 2) because it'll be nice to give something back to sides who travel here so often. I don't see how these reasons wouldn't also apply to Scotland.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Mon 07 Nov 2011, 12:01 am

I think this is great all round. Something closer to proper tours. And calm down guys there's a few more NH teams than SH teams and it would be tough on us to play a series against more than one of you.
For Samoa and Fiji to a lesser extent a lot will depend on their players being released. If its mostly players living in the islands then they better pray for a scorcher - with rain.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Mon 23 Jan 2012, 12:33 am

"The Waratahs are set to announce a match against the touring Scots to be held in the second week of June, while the Brumbies are set to play Wales in a mid-week fixture in Canberra between the Brisbane (June 9) and Melbourne (June 16) Tests.

Not sure if this is new news, but was to me. From here: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/rugby-gold/queensland-the-force-and-nsw-will-be-affected-by-super-rugbys-mid-season-break/story-fn8ti7yn-1226250751423

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 23 Jan 2012, 6:02 am

Could be a few Scots with heat stroke! I imagine these will be night games in Fiji and Samoa.

Good to see the Scottish boys touring in that part of the world. It´ll be interesting to see how home advantage suits these countries as we always seem to see them travelling away. Samoa and Fiji have improved on their set piece so a good chance to see Scotland try out more of an expansive game to break the deadlock. Then a game against Australia who will test any backline in the world with front foot ball. A demanding but very worthwhile tour.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down