The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Craig McEwan

+6
The Galveston Giant
AlexHuckerby
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Pedro147
BallchinianMuffwig
orlandocanizales
10 posters

Go down

Craig McEwan Empty Craig McEwan

Post by orlandocanizales Wed 02 Nov 2011, 3:45 pm

Hi just wondering what you guys think of Scottish middleweight Craig McEwan who is fighting Peter 'kid chocolate' Quillin in Mexico. I'm not sure if he is still promoted by GoldenBoy but you might have seen him on their undercards and against Andy Lee where is thought he was very unlucky to be stopped as he showed up well and outboxed Lee at times. Although he is very lucky to have had such high profile promoter and fought all over the states and on HBO ii can't help feel this hardworking fighters profile is should be higher in this country? Also Freddie Roach is no longer his trainer and to be honest it must have been difficult for Craig in Wildcard competing for attention with the likes of Pacquio, Khan, Bemavidez etc. So do you guys think having a 'celeb' trainer and prmoter have hindered Craig or is an otherwise average fighter riding his luck. I understand Craig now trains in Glasgow with Billy Nelson who will no doubt be pre-occupied with Ricky Burns title fight and its same old story for McEwan as Billy probably won't be in his corner in Cancun. Also haven't seen any of this 'Kid Chocolate' anybody seen him fight?

orlandocanizales

Back to top Go down

Craig McEwan Empty Re: Craig McEwan

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Wed 02 Nov 2011, 4:17 pm

Emm I've not seen Quillin either but being a stinkin jocko am curious about this one though from what I've heard about Quillin he should have too much skill for McEwan who is decent in all areas but not exceptional. however apparently he's always held his own in sparring with Pacquiao, Khan and Hopkins to name a few. I'd like to see MCEwan fight the domestic Middleweights see how he fares.

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Wed 02 Nov 2011, 4:45 pm

Knocked out by Andy Lee back is March if it's the guy I'm thinking of. Was ahead on the scorecards though. Decent fighter but just short of world class I reckon.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 02 Nov 2011, 5:12 pm

I watched the fight against Andy Lee and it was a cracking fight.

Andy Lee seemed happy to block McEwans shots with his fight in order to get his own off and this wore down McEwan to the point were Lee just finished the job.

It was a 10 round fight and the worrying thing was McEwan looked spent after 7 of them.

For somebody who was trained by "the best" he didn't show me anything that suggests he is worth staying up to watch in the future.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 02 Nov 2011, 5:23 pm

quillen will in all likelyhood knock out mcewan because peter is a bit special if it wasnt for injuries he would be right in there would love to see him slap around JCCjr for 12!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 03 Nov 2011, 9:24 am

Craig lost his make or break fight with Lee who has moved ahead and looked impressive in his last outing. McEwan had the best of things early on, landing some big shots on Lee, but he gassed badly and the end reminded me of Alex Arthur in his defeat to Michael Gomez. So it's back to the drawing board but with it comes make or break fight number two, Quillen is a top prospect and a win here for Craig could actually put him back ahead Lee in the pecking order, Kassim Ouma would have been a better fight for Craig at the moment but that fight fell through, it's going to be another hard night against Quillen but i'll be behind him all the way.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 03 Nov 2011, 10:18 am

McEwan has never lacked in boxing skills but more to do with his stamina and conditioning, Roach is good at fine tuning skills but usually his fighters have there own conditioning coaches rather then him doing it himself. Billy Nelson is good at is getting his fighters in top physical condition and I think Craig will reap the benefits of this.

He could have taken an easier fight but we actually might see a new Craig McEwan who doesn't gas. Could be an interesting fight.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 03 Nov 2011, 10:28 am

Just feel that Quillen will outclass him to be honest. McEwans a good boxer and there's nothing much wrong with his skills but I do feel that Quillen is just too much for him.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Fri 04 Nov 2011, 1:17 pm

Think Quillin will just pinch this one on points. Should be close technical fight. Both decent contenders.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 29 Nov 2011, 6:12 pm

McEwan was stopped in the sixth round in his fight with Quillin. McEwan never got going and his jab seemed non existint. His eye was damaged in the third and he was stopped after taking a decent punch in the corner, a little early, but was only delaying the inevitable.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:07 am

He's a well schooled boxer, but as people have mentioned, he seems to gas. I've heard Roach and others label him a 'lazy fighter' and saying he doesn't like putting the work in to improve his conditioning. Shame really: he could've been in the mix at MW. I mean, he beat Brian Vera comfortable, who is a decent MW and was unlucky not to beat Andy Lee. It's a shame he couldn't take advantage of the top-level training and sparring at the Wildcard. I think he's slipping comfortably into 'gatekeeper' territory in the MW division.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:10 am

He came back to train in Scotland and starting working with Billy Nelson who apparently found he was lazy and told him to start training harder or get a new trainer so he is now trained by someone else in Edinburgh but I'm not sure who.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:12 am

Very disappointing Boxtthis isn't it, he's been given a great opportunity. Although he gassed against Lee he had took control of the fight and looked good. Against Quillin he looked like he never came out second gear and his jab was poor. Hopefully he can re-group.

He had Gary Young in his corner Kev.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:24 am

Cheers mate I thought you would know. I read it in the paper a while ago and forgot who it was.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down