The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Clubs

+9
oldshanker
raycastleunited
navyblueshorts
K@S
drive4show
McLaren
Marcus
JPX
Doc
13 posters

Go down

Importance

New Clubs Vote_lcap29%New Clubs Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 6 ]
New Clubs Vote_lcap10%New Clubs Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 2 ]
New Clubs Vote_lcap61%New Clubs Vote_rcap 61% 
[ 13 ]
New Clubs Vote_lcap0%New Clubs Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 21

Poll closed

New Clubs Empty New Clubs

Post by Doc Mon 31 Oct 2011, 2:31 pm

So you decide to treat yourself, and go out and buy some new clubs, either fitted or off the shelf. What do you look for, and what’s the most important thing for you. Let’s just take it as read, that one of the reasons for the purchase was to improve your game. Did you do it for:

Looks

Investment*

Feel

Fashion accessory

*One mans investment means resale value, whist another mans means not having to buy clubs again for a number of years, if ever.

Doc

Back to top Go down

New Clubs Empty Re: New Clubs

Post by JPX Mon 31 Oct 2011, 2:37 pm

Feel

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Mon 31 Oct 2011, 2:44 pm

I'd say 65% looks, 35% feel.

It can feel amazing, but if it looks horrible behind the ball and doesn't inspire confidence, then I won't use it. If it looks amazing, yet feels horrid, then it's unlikely that I would use it either.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon 31 Oct 2011, 2:49 pm

Marcus I'd go along with that to a certain extent, although it would have to be 65% feel and 35% looks for me. Although it seems you have voted that way and not what you said OK

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 31 Oct 2011, 3:03 pm

I voted feel, but I would choose a group of clubs whose looks I was comfortable with and then make my ultimate choice from that group based on feel.

So maybe that implies I should have voted looks as feel could never trump pig ugly looking clubs. This makes me wonder if an element of psychology linked to you perception of the looks determines some of the feel you get from a club.

I would imagine the mp 69’s feel amazing even if they would be like hitting stones in a blind test.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 31 Oct 2011, 3:19 pm

Got to be 50/50 between looks and feel for me.

Just like a woman really............. Whistle

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon 31 Oct 2011, 3:22 pm

Mac I would bet there will be quite a few who vote feel, but really mean looks. If the idea of the game is to get the ball into the hole in the fewest number of shots, but you could do it with some pig ugly chunkers. Pig ugly gets you a regular low round .... The betting is that not many would go for the low scoring option because they looked shyte Very Happy

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by K@S Mon 31 Oct 2011, 3:30 pm

Doc wrote:Mac I would bet there will be quite a few who vote feel, but really mean looks. If the idea of the game is to get the ball into the hole in the fewest number of shots, but you could do it with some pig ugly chunkers. Pig ugly gets you a regular low round .... The betting is that not many would go for the low scoring option because they looked shyte Very Happy

I have a set of Ping Zings in the garage which quite a few people think look c**p but alaways performed well.
While quite a few people will initially pick a club on looks they usually try it to see how it performs. While there may may not be too much distinction between "feel" and "performance" perhaps there should be an option on the poll as I would always go for how the club performs.

K@S

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon 31 Oct 2011, 3:41 pm

K@S probably a good call, but don't know how to go back and add to the poll list, as 'edit' just takes you to the text.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 31 Oct 2011, 4:03 pm

Feel and looks for me. Maybe 50:50 ish. Looks are high on the list for me as if it looks odd to me at address there's no way on Earth I'll ever hit it consistently well no matter how good the technology.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 31 Oct 2011, 4:22 pm

It's got to be looks first. If you don't like the look of it, you are never going to pick it up and find out what it feels like. So feel comes next.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Mon 31 Oct 2011, 11:16 pm

raycastleunited wrote:It's got to be looks first. If you don't like the look of it, you are never going to pick it up and find out what it feels like. So feel comes next.

I voted looks first for this reason ray. Picked up a Callaway steelhead x16 the other day - my God that is an ugly club to look down on, it's got the widest topline I've ever seen. Did not make me want to even try and hit anything with it, apart from the burglar! Shocked

I like a thin topline and leading edge, just feels more right to me.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 31 Oct 2011, 11:38 pm

The same as a good lady. If you don't like how she looks your not going to even attempt to pick her/it up.(By it I mean the club)

Firstly I need to like the look of what I'm interested in, once I've picked a club I love to look down at when addressing the ball then feel takes over and we go from there.

If you like the look of it your already half way there tonvincing yourself it will feel right in your hands.

The comparison in ladies, if you walk into a bar at 8pm and love the look of said young filly your go talk to her straight away. If by 150am (just prior to closing) nothing or no-ones taken your eye you'll accept you've been drinking and take home the female version of a Callaway! Thatd be a big bertha!!!! And just hope no-one see's you using them

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 01 Nov 2011, 7:41 pm

I contacted my local clubfitter to see which brands he deals with, one of which is Orka. No idea what they are like but he is a top bloke so he won't sell any rubbish.
Really like the look of a combo set of RS1's and RS3's

www.orkagolf.co.uk

Drool

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue 01 Nov 2011, 8:45 pm

D4S

I like the look of the PS9 personalised blades seriously sexy looking bit of kit..

The worrying thing though is when you click on the players tab on the site and instead of a list of quality tour players on even regular pro's you get the like of Darren Gough and MArk Hughes bit of a let down that.

Picked these up today from my mate who runs the shop I so shamelessly plugged on his behalf recently. He only has them in on Demo not available yet but can pre-order dorectly through him via his rep.

http://www.adamsgolf.com/products/irons/idea_mb2.php

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed 02 Nov 2011, 9:19 am

http://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/Golf/gear/searchresults/Irons/Orka-RS3-irons/

http://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/Golf/gear/searchresults/Irons/Orka-Customised-PS9-irons/

The thing about small/bespoke/boutique OEM's is that many of them have tour players using their kit, but are not paying them, so can't name them. I know for a fact that Nick Price uses a lot of my stuff, I also know that many tour pro's have a 'go to' club that they prefer in certain circumstances, and it won't be what the bag logo says. I do like the look of some of their kit D4S, so I would get round to see your mate and have a fiddle with it. I agree with Mav, the PS9 looks stunning. A great club fitter, especially a guy you trust can make you a top end set of clubs, with high end shafts bespoke to you, with a great price. There's plenty of top end stuff out there, that's not got a big brand logo stamped on it.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 02 Nov 2011, 9:34 am

I like the look of these Orka blades too, the interesting thing about them is that unlike a lot of these smaller manufacturers their products don't seem to be a re-hash of an OEM's older models.

Might look into them for my next bats, although my Snake Eyes blades are doing very nicely right now.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:55 am

I've always gone for looks - If they don't look good I won't even try them. Generally, if I'm trying out clubs and they look good and feel right I find that is an indication that the clubs I'm trying already have shafts and lie set ups that suit me and just need fitting / tweaking to suit.

Those Orka's do look rather attractive.

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:44 pm

Yadsendew wrote:
Those Orka's do look rather attractive.

The sort of club you can take to a brightly lit restaurant or pub??

Laugh

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Wed 02 Nov 2011, 2:31 pm

exactly D4S... in the long run much cheaper and they don't answer back!

Has anyone seen my purple patch? I seem to have misplaced it somewhere.

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 02 Nov 2011, 2:34 pm

Maverick wrote:D4S

I like the look of the PS9 personalised blades seriously sexy looking bit of kit..

The worrying thing though is when you click on the players tab on the site and instead of a list of quality tour players on even regular pro's you get the like of Darren Gough and MArk Hughes bit of a let down that.

Ha ha that's classic. Kind of like getting a bike recommendation off Stephen Hawking.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 02 Nov 2011, 2:40 pm

Hibbz wrote:

Ha ha that's classic. Kind of like getting a bike recommendation off Stephen Hawking.
laughing

Exactly. Thats the shame though they look superb but when the recommendations are from other sports its no confidence inspiring is it.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 02 Nov 2011, 2:41 pm

Maverick wrote:
Hibbz wrote:

laughing

Exactly. Thats the shame though they look superb but when the recommendations are from other sports its no confidence inspiring is it.

Kind of like getting course recommendations from DOAK.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed 02 Nov 2011, 3:27 pm

D4S If I were in the market, this is what I'd be buying. But the article shows what you get by having a good club builder soting you out, so whatever club you go for ....

http://www.mygolfspy.com/the-best-irons-your-money-can-buy/

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed 02 Nov 2011, 4:49 pm

Cheers Doc but I know that Muira's are seriously expensive! LJ paid £150 for a single wedge, I'm looking at 3-PW and also looking to replace my wedges as well.

If you pay half the cost for my Xmas pressie, I'll go with the Muira's Wink

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Wed 02 Nov 2011, 5:55 pm

I've got a set of Miura irons (the LH blade variety) and they're without question the best looking, feeling and performing golluff bats I have ever owned.

For some reason they're currently residing in my garage, as I have played the last few rounds with my set of Callaway X-Forged bats, but they shall be making their emotional return to my bag for this weekend.

They're rather expensive, but well worth the money.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by K@S Sat 12 Nov 2011, 12:02 pm

Doc wrote: But the article shows what you get by having a good club builder soting you out, so whatever club you go for ....

http://www.mygolfspy.com/the-best-irons-your-money-can-buy/

Part 2 now available
http://www.mygolfspy.com/the-best-irons-money-can-buy-part-ii/

K@S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down