The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best World Cup game in recent time

+9
kiakahaaotearoa
MBTGOG
offload
LordDowlais
Biltong
chewed_mintie
Taylorman
goneagain
OzT
13 posters

Go down

Best World Cup game in recent time Empty Best World Cup game in recent time

Post by OzT Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:39 am

Hi all, how are you?

As the title say, which do you think is the best RWC game in recent times, and why? Obviously there may/will be bias here, and my game is no exception as we won it, but it could be any game your side was not involved in.

For me, it's the semi in 1999, Boks vs Wallabies. ( sorry biltong ). It was a see saw game, with chances to both sides, won by an extra time drop goal. An evenly contested battle, great defense by both sides and no controvasies!!! (sp)

This is only a small header piece as not so good at writing, but be interested top read other people's thoughts and stirr some memories!

OzT

Back to top Go down

Best World Cup game in recent time Empty Re: Best World Cup game in recent time

Post by goneagain Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:58 am

Last sunday's.

goneagain

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:06 am

I thought our oz win was special. 80 minutes of pure intensity where all the players fronted.
England 95 was entertaining. Franc 99 was probably the freakiest game and result in cup history.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:08 am

Yep Taylorman that Oz game was special. I would also rank the Wales v Fiji and Ireland v Georgia games from 2007 as some of the best, and both Argentina’s wins over France were pure theatre.

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:10 am

This world cup, Wales vs Ireland.

2007, SA vs England pool match.

2003, can't remember.

1999, France vs NZ

1995.New Zealand vs england.

1991 and 1987, we didn't see it.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:12 am

My favourite has to be Wales V New Zealand in the 2003 World cup. Nobody gave us a chance but we took them all the way, watching Shane Williams carve open their defence at will was sublime to watch.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:36 am

87, Wales v Australia, SF
91, Ireland v Australia, QF
95, NZ v England, SF
99, NZ v France, SF (I was there Very Happy )
03, NZ v Wales, Pool
07, Fiji v Wales, (Pool Crying or Very sad )
11, Wales v Ireland, QF & NZ v Australia, SF
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:40 am

France against New Zealand in 1999 is probably the best game I've ever seen, so I'll pluck for that.

South Africa against Fiji in 2007 was a cracking game that not many people put in these lists.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:46 am

Japan vs NZ 1995. The game had everything. Tries from both teams and a thriller all the way to the first minute of the game...

France 1999 had more swings and roundabouts than a children´s playground. 2007 and 2011 had more tension than a visit to the dentist as did England vs OZ 2003.

You have the near misses like Aus vs Ireland 91 and Eng vs Scotland 91 I think again and France vs SA 95 and Wales vs France 2007.

Wales Fiji, Samoa or Tonga (Ireland would probably be undeserving in this list but given the Irish posters feelings before the match maybe it does) for upsets.

You have your fair share of controversy and you have some powerful shut outs like England NZ 95 or Aus vs NZ 2011.

One things for sure: the race for Bill is never dull and never short of controversy or thrills and upsets. Bill you´re just great fun to be around. I want to hug you...

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:49 am

LordDowlais wrote:My favourite has to be Wales V New Zealand in the 2003 World cup. Nobody gave us a chance but we took them all the way, watching Shane Williams carve open their defence at will was sublime to watch.
More than that, it was a nut-cutting, high paced match which went down to the wire. High quality play on both sides. Still one of my favourite matches of all time. If someone can't appreciate this match, they are either dead or watching Eurovision.

Last edited by doctor_grey on Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Taffy Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:51 am

France v NZ 2007 was pretty special and I was there. Forgetting forward passes it was a hell of match. This WC I'd go for Wales v Ireland.

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:19 pm

Yes on my list would've been Franc - NZ 2007, and although at half time I had gone to bed thinking it was all over, Franc - NZ 1999 2nd half would've been a great game to watch!

SA vs Fiji was a good game but didn't think it had the nail biting or twists of other games. The boks looked solid after the scare and finished quiet comforatably.

The Japan vs NZ 1995 was try fest, great for kiwi supporter I guess, but anytime Japan score a try against anyone is a great spectacle. Remember the one against Wales in the 2003, those fellas work so hard and so inventive in their try methods.

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:08 pm

87 - France beating Australia in SF (note Offload wales/aus was the 2/4 play off)

91 - Australia beating Ireland in QF

95 - Lomu beating England in SF

99 - France beating NZ in Semi

03 - England beating aus in final (not a great game but ...........)

07 - Fiji beating Wales in Pool

11 - Ireland beating Australia in Pool

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:45 pm

Was only joking OzT but Japan are really a favourite team of mine to watch. They´re like energizer bunnies on speed. But now they´ve actually added a bit of structure to their game.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:59 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Was only joking OzT but Japan are really a favourite team of mine to watch. They´re like energizer bunnies on speed. But now they´ve actually added a bit of structure to their game.

Kia – you’re right about the energizer bunny analogy. I played against Sanix 9 years ago when they toured Australia and they had two great AB’s in the lineup in G Bachop and J Joseph (as well as Reuben Parkinson) and they props were built like sumo wrestlers but they were all QUICK! They ended up running us off our feet and played a helter skelter type of game. Only structure they really had was through the 8/9 combo (surprise, surprise). We got beat by about 25 pts (not bad for an amateur club) but was a great experience to say the least

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:03 pm

87 - Wales v New Zealand SF - they were just superhuman. In the same vein The NZ v Italy match.

91 - The Ireland v Aus game - lead to a change in the rules re kicking the ball dead from open play. You know its a good game if they change the rules as a result. Landsdowne Road in its pomp.

95 - I was a student at the time...

99 - Wales v Australia QF, because I was there and we gave a good account of ourselves against the best team in the World. The final that year was just as bad as the 1995 final. The two before had not been classics, but were streets ahead on these two.

03 - Wales v England QF. After scaring the All Blacks, we scared England. I will never forget Shane Williams out-jumping Laurence Dellaglio on a cross field kick. This game and the NZ game were his first caps for almost 5 years. What did we miss out on because of Henry and Hansen?

07 - Wales v Fiji and England v South Africa (group stage). If I was captain in the Fiji game I'd have told them to kick long into touch and accidentally on purpose knock the ball on as Fiji's set piece was worse than awful, yet we embroiled ourselves in a game of 7's. It was exciting though.

Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:05 pm

G Bachop was my favourite AB halfback. Very underrated. Whippet pass, could play like a loosie and great on defence and able to attack the blind side running. A complete player. Not old enough for Sid Going but saw a few clips. Seeing that bald head reminds me too much of my receding hair line! It´s an omen of the future!!

No one has mentioned a minnow game. Anyone see Canada vs Tonga? I saw it as my brother lives in Vancouver and have a sentimental tie with the Canucks. Not sure if it was the prettiest rugby. I remember Georgia ran Ireland close. They are pocket battleships all of them. I really hope they are able to make a step up. Seeing them do the haka would put the fear of God into the ABs!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:19 pm

LondonTiger wrote:87 - France beating Australia in SF (note Offload wales/aus was the 2/4 playoff

Quite right London not a SF,but a 3/4 playoff OK
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:29 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:My favourite has to be Wales V New Zealand in the 2003 World cup. Nobody gave us a chance but we took them all the way, watching Shane Williams carve open their defence at will was sublime to watch.
More than that, it was a nut-cutting, high paced match which went down to the wire. High quality play on both sides. Still one of my favourite matches of all time. If someone can't appreciate this match, they are either dead or watching Eurovision.

This was the one match when I saw the green shoots of recovery within Wales, we had only just started regionalism and it was was the making of a lot of players, Shane Williams, Stephen Jones, Micheal Owen we were just not in the same league as New Zealand but we did give them a kick up the jacksey Laugh

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:31 pm

That was as high as Shane could reach unfortunately...

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:38 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:That was as high as Shane could reach unfortunately...
Laugh
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:54 pm

KIA are you Sin E in disguise?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:57 pm

I did read that thread DOD. I´m just in a playful mood. I think I´ve absolved myself of guilt after 10 Hail Frances and am now getting tucked into the sacramental wine.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down