The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jermain Taylor returns in December

+7
smashingstormcrow
Valero's Conscience
School Project
AlexHuckerby
bellchees
Volcanicash
Seanusarrilius
11 posters

Go down

Jermain Taylor returns in December Empty Jermain Taylor returns in December

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 24 Oct 2011, 7:35 pm

Surely it can't be a good sign when this much of your comeback story focusses on the amount of medical tests you have had since your last 2 KO defeats.

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/169806-taylor-to-return-as-a-middleweight-on-showtime-on-dec-30

Does anyone think he can still have an impact at 160?? He is a name in a largely nameless division so i would not be surprised if after a couple fights and gets a shot at a title.

If eh looks bad on return then Jr might have a pop i reckon, but even a 50% Taylor would run Jr close IMO

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Jermain Taylor returns in December Empty Re: Jermain Taylor returns in December

Post by Volcanicash Mon 24 Oct 2011, 8:25 pm

I think its a great sign!! It sounds like he's had pass tough medical tests to be allowed to continue fighting, so the commision who has licensed him have left no stone unturned in ensuring Taylor goes back in fighting fit, which is great!!

Definitely can make an impact, I'd back him to beat any of the title holders, wouldn't like to seem him in with Martinez though, probably the fighter in the division who could cause him some serious damage!! As long as he stays away from Froch/Pavlik/Abraham type fighters I think he can do well!!

Volcanicash

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 24 Oct 2011, 8:46 pm

Froch and Pav are not an issue as there at 168, Martinez is a real possibility as there is little credible opp for him out there at the mo. Although Taylor has passed his tests 3 KO defeats out of about 5 fights is not good and the one v AA was very very heavy, he seemed a shot fighter in that one and gun shy, i hope i am wrong but with his gas issues and his suscebtibility to being KO'd it may end in tears for him. Shame cos i enjoyed seeing him box at his pomp. If the division is bad enough he can make an impact

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Mon 24 Oct 2011, 9:07 pm

Taylor pulling out of the super 6 was a real disappointment. He has the style to out box Ward and Dirrell, the less heavy handed guys, but I think he will always struggle with guys who have a high output or heavy hands. If he is matched carefully then I see no problem with a comeback, hopefully he knows who to stay well clear of (Martinez) and who he can beat (Chavez Jr).

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 24 Oct 2011, 9:21 pm

its over taylor... save yourself the headache

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Mon 24 Oct 2011, 11:20 pm

I can't say whether I believe:

A. He's an accident waiting to happen (Brain damage, parkinsons, blood clot).
B. Was genuinly gassed both times at 168.

I can't see him boiling down to 160 will do him any good either way... dehydrating, taking more punishment when dehydrated, being knocked out by bums like Chavez Jr.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 24 Oct 2011, 11:53 pm

in truth its a similarish situation to enzo mac. we all know he shouldnt but theyve convinced themselves they can still do it. i fear for the mans health because the way he went against abraham was alarming and how he gassed against froch was severely worrying aswell. boiling down is only going to worsen his punch resistance and that means anyone with decent to good power can stop him.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 25 Oct 2011, 10:13 am

If Martinez can't get the fights he wants Taylor would be a good option which at least HBO will probably prefer over European fighters.

Good luck to Taylor anyway!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by smashingstormcrow Tue 25 Oct 2011, 10:33 am

Volcanicash wrote:As long as he stays away from Froch/Pavlik/Abraham type fighters

You mean as long as he stays away from anyone semi-decent?!

smashingstormcrow

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 25 Oct 2011, 10:51 am

smashingstormcrow wrote:
Volcanicash wrote:As long as he stays away from Froch/Pavlik/Abraham type fighters

You mean as long as he stays away from anyone semi-decent?!
I was gonna say something very similar. Not sure he has much to offer besides being a 'name' for up-and-comers to beat. If he avoids bangers he'll just be accused of selective matchmaking.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 25 Oct 2011, 11:03 am

He has always been something of an enigma. If he comes back properly switched on I think hes well capable of causing anyone problems. Looks to me like a clear case of a fighter coming back just for the paydays though as he seems to have lost his enthusiasm for the sport long ago.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 25 Oct 2011, 12:52 pm

Taylor outboxes froch before tiring and getting stiffed late. Not long after he gets battered by Abraham who himself can't subsequently land a shot on froch. Ok styles make fights etc, but that's not styles, that's deterioration imo... There is no way on earth that abraham gets near the taylor that beats hopkins. He gasses more and more in fights as he ages.

He's done for and is in danger of getting seriously hurt if he continues fighting anyone world class... or anyone at all in a fight longer than 8 rounds.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 25 Oct 2011, 2:25 pm

Something went wrong with him when he went to 168, he gave BHop hell @ 160 and then has nothing in the tank after moving up?

I fear the Froch fight took something out of him, it was a real decent tear up and Froch's constant pressure finally got to a tiring Taylor. It's fights like those that can take something out of a fighter. Kinda reminds of of Meldrick Taylor in a less extreme case, he took some bombs before finally succumbing... Yes i know they're different situations but the old saying that "they weren't the same after X fight" rings true in both cases.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 25 Oct 2011, 2:54 pm

Taylor gases, thats always been his problem, i dont know if its somethig he can fix either, but after Pavlik, Froch and then AA he has taken some heavy ko losses too. Rememebr Froch isn't the biggest hitter at 168 but hes no poweder puff, AA hits like a hammer and Pavlik was v heavyheanded at 160. So the gas issues and the continued punishment over 5/6 fights he is just shot. Can he come back and look good? Maybe but very unlikely he beats any top opposition, not that there is much at 160. Also he is gun shy now, was very gun shy v AA when AA did nothing for first half of fight. Can't beat any top guys if he's not willing to take the risks

Bad comeback IMO,

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down