The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Latest IRB lunacy

+50
nathan
unebrindille
PJHolybloke
Hood83
tigerleghorn
Michaels, Sean
english_osprey
emack2
The Great Aukster
George Carlin
rodders
disneychilly
SubsBench
aucklandlaurie
Luckless Pedestrian
doctor_grey
GunsGerms
boomeranga
maestegmafia
english warrior
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Glas a du
dogtooth
Knowsit17
Gatts
Knackeredknees
dummy_half
Ozzy3213
Irish Curry
LondonTiger
Portnoy
majesticimperialman
R!skysports
whocares
fa0019
21st Century Schizoid Man
bathmad
offload
Davie
greybeard
eirebilly
bedfordwelsh
red_stag
Mad for Chelsea
Biltong
mystiroakey
ultra
Cardiff Taffy
tomathy
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
54 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Latest IRB lunacy Empty Latest IRB lunacy

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:04 pm

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyWorldCup2011/France-fined-for-haka-breach-20111024

Now I really miss that facepalm emoticon.

Every New Zealander I've discussed it with loved the French haka response. So please don't blame us for this one guys.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Latest IRB lunacy Empty Re: Latest IRB lunacy

Post by tomathy Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:07 pm

I don't understand who initiated this rule. It's great when a team responds to the haka. That Ireland one on youtube I particularly like
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Taffy Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:09 pm

Good to see the IRB have been using there time well Doh Morons.

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by ultra Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:15 pm

I really don't get this at all! The haka's great to watch and a real part of rugby tradition but at the end of the day it's a challenge and they're there to be met! Loved the French response, knew from that moment they were up for it, loved it when Cockerill went nose to nose with Hewit, loved it when the Aussies, turned their backs.

Are we all just supposed to stand there and look uncomfortabley intimidated?

ultra

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:17 pm

oh my god- this is mental.

why oh why. Not gonna blame any kiwi fans or players here- but what the heck is going on- why are the all balcks allowed to have an extra anthem yet noone else!

mental.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:21 pm

I love the Haka and thought the French response showed a united front. It was special and showed the All Blacks they were accepting the challenge as a team and it showed during the match.

The IRB has messed up enough during this RWC and now they are just pathetic
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:22 pm

Unfortunately I'm not surprised. I live in France and on Sunday afternoon I was discussing this with a few mates (drowning our sorrows) and I expressed the view that France would probably get fined for crossing the midfield line. Surely not! they exclaimed but I was pretty sure the IRB would do it, after all it gets some cheap money into their coffers.

Luncay really! The haka is a challenge, why shouldn't teams respond? Thought France were brilliant personally, and honestly haven't come across anyone who found their response poor. This all stems for me from that time Wales stood up to the haka in Cardiff by just refusing to move afterwards (spine tingling that was) and then Nonu came out and called it disrespectful. He's got a lot to answer for...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:22 pm

This is a disgrace. Pathetic from the IRB.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:22 pm

What a USELESS bunch of idiots these guys are.

I loved watching the French advance towards it as did Sean Fitzpatrick, which as he said the Haka is a challenge and the French accepted it.

There has been calls from various angles about banning the All Blacks from performing the Haka before games as some say it gives them the psychological edge.

I agree that it does but that said I hope they never stop it BUT when IDIOTS like the IRB fine countries for responding then it only adds fire to the 'ban it' cause.

These are the people in charge of our beloved game well get a grip and manage it properly and stop worrying about trivial matters like this.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:22 pm

I really hope that FFR hold firm and refuse to pay.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:24 pm

Unbelievable. Seriously poor. The AB's werent upset and it was a great way to meet the challenge.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:24 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:What a USELESS bunch of idiots these guys are.

I loved watching the French advance towards it as did Sean Fitzpatrick, which as he said the Haka is a challenge and the French accepted it.

There has been calls from various angles about banning the All Blacks from performing the Haka before games as some say it gives them the psychological edge.

I agree that it does but that said I hope they never stop it BUT when IDIOTS like the IRB fine countries for responding then it only adds fire to the 'ban it' cause.

These are the people in charge of our beloved game well get a grip and manage it properly and stop worrying about trivial matters like this.

spot on clap

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:27 pm

the IRB are exactly the same as the FIA, both aid what they think is there prized asset(brand) in ferrari and the all blacks.

in a world where fairness is such a priority its nonsense. The IRB are dinnosaurs. you cant have one rule for one team(or union) and not for another

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:29 pm

Just read your response bedfordwelsh. Absolutely spot on. clap
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:31 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Unfortunately I'm not surprised. I live in France and on Sunday afternoon I was discussing this with a few mates (drowning our sorrows) and I expressed the view that France would probably get fined for crossing the midfield line. Surely not! they exclaimed but I was pretty sure the IRB would do it, after all it gets some cheap money into their coffers.

I had pretty much the same conversation with the Kiwi mates I watched the game with during the post-haka ad break (and that's another piece of IRB lunacy, but I digress) - I commented "they've crossed halfway odds are they'll get fined" and everyone in the room told me I was crazy.

I love the haka (yesterday afternoon I was part of a group of 30-odd kiwis who performed a spontaneous celebratory one in a pub in SW London - and I have no idea who most of the other guys are) and as most of you may have noticed that I'm prepared to defend it until the cows come home Whistle. But the other team's response is part of that tradition, and the IRB are stomping all over that.

OK, if fight breaks out between the teams take action*, otherwise leave it.

*I've seen footage on youtube in the past of that happening at an RL match
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:35 pm

Mad for & Eire,

Cheers for the acknowledgement not sure if you remember a few years back but the WRU cocked things up (no real surprise) when they wanted the Blacks to do the Haka before we sung our anthem and they said fine we will just do it in the changing rooms.

Which they did (its not a public thing) for the ABs, but what it did do was deny us fans the pleasure of seeing it and wound the Blacks up which is never a good thing.

I also remember few years back after the Haka and before KO one of our Opera singers (does go compare I think) walked length of field holding our flag outstretched before him singing Bread of Heaven.

For me thats a great response and the crowd loved it.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:36 pm

mystiroakey wrote:oh my god- this is mental.

why oh why. Not gonna blame any kiwi fans or players here- but what the heck is going on- why are the all balcks allowed to have an extra anthem yet noone else!

mental.

While it's not an anthem I know what you're trying to say, but you've forgotten Samoa, Fiji and Tonga... oh, and Ireland.

Yet again the iRB bend over for their corporate sponsors as Adidas get all up in arms at opposition players challenging The Haka (tm) and blocking their camera angles.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:38 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:...they said fine we will just do it in the changing rooms.

Which they did (its not a public thing) for the ABs, but what it did do was deny us fans the pleasure of seeing it and wound the Blacks up which is never a good thing.

No it wasn't a public thing. And they made sure to let the TV cameras in to show just how private it was. Whistle

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:41 pm

greybeard wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:oh my god- this is mental.

mental.

While it's not an anthem I know what you're trying to say, but you've forgotten Samoa, Fiji and Tonga... oh, and Ireland.

Yet again the iRB bend over for their corporate sponsors as Adidas get all up in arms at opposition players challenging The Haka (tm) and blocking their camera angles.

ta for the heads up

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:43 pm

Did anyone else see the ITV piece just before the final on the history of the patty-cake?

Some hilarious black and white footage of touring teams from the 70s performing it - looking highly embarrassed and about as into it you'd expect a team of accountants and quantity surveyors to be

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:46 pm

don't get me started on the post-haka ad break Kiwi. The players are all ready, everyone watching in the ground or on TV is waiting only for kick-off, and we have to wait a couple of minutes for some ads. What a wonderful idea (shame about that facepalm smiley..)

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:48 pm

If you can't respond to a challenge what's the point!!!

Too much crap talked about "respecting" the haka. What about some respect for the teams that are FORCED to just stand there and watch it. Pathetic.

If the haka creates a little extra edge then the opponents have to be able to accept the challenge, just as the French did. I hope they tell the IRB where to shove their fine.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:49 pm

Get rid of the haka. Done. It's a waste of time.

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:50 pm

"If the haka creates a little extra edge then the opponents have to be
able to accept the challenge, just as the French did. I hope they tell
the IRB where to shove their fine."

what could they do if they did just not pay?

france dont pay , never pay it. you will have the support of at least the whole of the NH anyway, and the IRB will have to back down

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:51 pm

mystiroakey wrote:"If the haka creates a little extra edge then the opponents have to be
able to accept the challenge, just as the French did. I hope they tell
the IRB where to shove their fine."

what could they do if they did just not pay?

france dont pay , never pay it. you will have the support of at least the whole of the NH anyway, and the IRB will have to back down

+1
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:52 pm

WTF are these IRB James Hunts all about ?

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:53 pm

Kiwireddevil

You do say don't blame us but who suggested to the IRB that teams could no longer come closer than their own 10 metre line in the first place....

I'd hardly believe it was the other unions?

I take your point that most kiwi's like yourself probably appreciate the challenge and I raise my glass to you on that but someone in your union obviously doesn't, hence the rule change from that last RWC.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:54 pm

bathmad wrote:Get rid of the haka. Done. It's a waste of time.

Bath,

I like many loved it and will dis-agree with you but as I said this fuss will just add to the cause.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:57 pm

not sure about that, the FFR being a bunch of old fart muppets, they probably already got the chequebook out.
that's ok we will send them back an invoice for the prejudice caused by Parra injury.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:58 pm

It's funny how the haka needs to be "respected". What was once a cultural icon and a warrior challenge has been turned into a media darling, without meaning or substance.
After the anthems are sung (and yes Ireland, even you are only allowed 1 anthem!!), game on. Away from home, there should be no question, the home team's anthem comes second, gees up the crowd.

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Mon 24 Oct 2011, 5:02 pm

If challenging the haka isn't allowed then if I'm honest then I would rather see it got rid of. I love watching it, but banning responses to it is horrendously self-indulgent.

I'd rather they removed the ban and kept it though.
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 24 Oct 2011, 5:04 pm

The rules come for when Nonu complained when Wales stood still and did not back down. He felt Wales disrepected the Haka

So you are fined for standing still, fined for walking forward.

Maybe it should become a Panto - their behind you - then throw a few sweets to the kids and then boo every time buttons get the ball

Complete and utter tosh. I am sorry to say the New Zealand brand is getting tarnished badly by this world cup and I think they have turned off a lot of people

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Taffy Mon 24 Oct 2011, 5:07 pm

I agree with Bath, the sooner it's deleted from all test matches the better. I just don't understand why the best team in the world are permitted special license.

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 24 Oct 2011, 5:12 pm

fa0019 wrote:Kiwireddevil

You do say don't blame us but who suggested to the IRB that teams could no longer come closer than their own 10 metre line in the first place....

I'd hardly believe it was the other unions?

I take your point that most kiwi's like yourself probably appreciate the challenge and I raise my glass to you on that but someone in your union obviously doesn't, hence the rule change from that last RWC.

When the 10 metre gap for the haka rule was brought in the NZRU said they had nothing to do with it and the 1st they heard was when the rule came out. Now maybe they were fibbing, but the IRB didn't contradict their statement.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Mon 24 Oct 2011, 5:13 pm

Riskysports wrote:The rules come for when Nonu complained when Wales stood still and did not back down. He felt Wales disrepected the Haka

I think it comes from quite a bit further back. Ireland, England and France all "encroached" in the late 80's/early 90's and I'm sure there must have been others. I think it might have been after an English incursion into enemy territory the iRB decided to stop it from happening.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 24 Oct 2011, 5:13 pm

Cardiff Taffy wrote:I agree with Bath, the sooner it's deleted from all test matches the better. I just don't understand why the best team in the world are permitted special license.

"Special licence"? All the Pacific nations do their own.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Mon 24 Oct 2011, 5:15 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:
Cardiff Taffy wrote:I agree with Bath, the sooner it's deleted from all test matches the better. I just don't understand why the best team in the world are permitted special license.

Hush now. Umbrage is happening and facts just get in the way.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 24 Oct 2011, 5:17 pm

This is realy bad taste from the IRB, the Haka is performed as a challange to the other, how the other team respond should be up to them.

Their is only one way to settle this and that is to BAN THE HAKA altogether.
I like many other fans will miss the Haka is it is baned, thats for sure.

In future it should be both team sing their anthems and the it is game on.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 24 Oct 2011, 5:17 pm

Kiwireddevil

Well if thats the case then I apologises dude.

But who else would have called for it.... its pretty amazing that it was non NZRU requested!

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 24 Oct 2011, 5:18 pm

I kind of agree with tomathy. I like the haka, and don't want to see it banned, but neither should the IRB/NZRU dictate exactly how it happens. I'd rather see it banned than that TBH. Two simple points for me:

1. The home team decides when it's performed (ie before or after their anthem)

2. Teams can respond how they want to (obviously upto but not including fights)

There you go, simple.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Mon 24 Oct 2011, 5:30 pm

IRB arses.

I never saw the reason why the the Haka should be 'respected'.

If one side wants to do an (increasingly) 'NZ's Got Talent' routine to get a psychological advantage and the opposition has to 'respectfully' put up from a distance for a home-based tradition that goes back all of 25 years.

Bollix to 'em. Let the opposition (and the crowd) do whatever they want.

p.s. It wasn't a classic Haka (in modern choreographed terms) anyway was it ?
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Taffy Mon 24 Oct 2011, 5:33 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:

Of course you are correct and I think it should be removed for them all in the case of test matches. I am aware this is not a popular opinion but hey-ho.

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Mon 24 Oct 2011, 5:33 pm

Portnoy wrote:p.s. It wasn't a classic Haka (in modern choreographed terms) anyway was it ?

It was written between 2004-2005 specifically for the all blacks. Not a huge cultural relic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haka_%28sports%29#.22Kapa_o_Pango.22_2005

Although I do find the Kapa O Pango more exciting than the old Ka Mate one.
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 24 Oct 2011, 5:35 pm

A good response to the Haka makes the whole thing spine-tingling. It also helps fire up both teams.

France wearing red, white and blue in 2007:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpnXJpvlMNE&feature=related

Ireland in 89
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weUHwCjeD7s&feature=related

England in 97

And best of all Wales in 2008 (working within the current rules and not advancing, but most definitely meeting the challenge)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncu6SzmHe3E

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 24 Oct 2011, 5:46 pm

just seen all of the haka challenges- you tube discussions and commentary discussions are very complimentary of the french, the welsh , the irish but lol when it comes to the english its just- thats disgusting- thats disrepectfull.

could someone please explain so that it makes some sense?

that seems like lunacy to me!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Mon 24 Oct 2011, 5:51 pm

A new low for the sport Rolling Eyes
Who apoints these people??
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 24 Oct 2011, 5:51 pm

Have to say the Welsh one is my favourite, but the French on on Sunday morning topped it for me, was a spine tingling start to the game.

What the IRB have done here is make themselves look incredibly stupid and as if they are favouring New Zealand. What the NZRU need to do, if in fact this 10 metre ruling is nothing to do with them, is come out now and publicly say that they support France and do not feel that they should be fined and that their response to the Haka was perfectly alright.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 24 Oct 2011, 5:54 pm

Well, next time the ABs play at Twickenham, we should meet the challenge with the traditinoal response of an English rubgy player -

All line up on the 10m line, as detailed by the IRB and then Moon them

Wink

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Mon 24 Oct 2011, 5:57 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:Have to say the Welsh one is my favourite, but the French on on Sunday morning topped it for me, was a spine tingling start to the game.

What the IRB have done here is make themselves look incredibly stupid and as if they are favouring New Zealand. What the NZRU need to do, if in fact this 10 metre ruling is nothing to do with them, is come out now and publicly say that they support France and do not feel that they should be fined and that their response to the Haka was perfectly alright.

Especially as the French waived their right to play in Blue,
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 24 Oct 2011, 5:57 pm

dummy_half wrote:Well, next time the ABs play at Twickenham, we should meet the challenge with the traditinoal response of an English rubgy player -

Who provides the dwarves, blondes and ferries?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next