The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What RU can learn from Football - and vice versa

+5
Luckless Pedestrian
KiaRose
damage_13
mystiroakey
Portnoy
9 posters

Go down

What RU can learn from Football - and vice versa Empty What RU can learn from Football - and vice versa

Post by Portnoy Tue 18 Oct 2011, 4:05 pm

What RU can learn from Football:
Don't play club rugby when players are missing for International duty
Don't have playoffs - let the league decide
Play midweek games when the occasion demands

What Football can learn from RU:
A YC means 10 mins off the pitch
Accept video technology
Bonus points for goals

Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

What RU can learn from Football - and vice versa Empty Re: What RU can learn from Football - and vice versa

Post by mystiroakey Tue 18 Oct 2011, 4:28 pm

good thread dude.

what football can learn

use of technology= yep agreed- although even rugby needs to use more
yellow cards 10 mins of pitch yep agreed
i dont know if goal bounss would work or just make it even more of a closed shop.

ru can learn- ermmm.

i dont know if they would get the crowds midweek, maybe they can.

but i think they need to market union more- noone from where i am knows anything about club rugby

play offs obviously earn the rfu big money so i am not sure how to get that revenue back if they knocked it on the head

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

What RU can learn from Football - and vice versa Empty Re: What RU can learn from Football - and vice versa

Post by damage_13 Tue 18 Oct 2011, 5:14 pm

Football needs the game clock/stadium clock linked to the refs watch. no more extra time crap

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Wed 19 Oct 2011, 2:35 pm

damage_13 wrote:Football needs the game clock/stadium clock linked to the refs watch. no more extra time crap

+1

hated it watching Sarries Munster at the Ricoh in the HEC semi a few years ago - hadn't a clue how much time I had left in which to chew my nails Rolling Eyes

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 19 Oct 2011, 3:13 pm

The main thing that football could learn from rugby is that dissent won't be tolerated. The FA / FIFA / whoever could crack down on players screaming abuse into the referee's face but for reasons best known to themselves choose not to do so.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 19 Oct 2011, 3:46 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:The main thing that football could learn from rugby is that dissent won't be tolerated. The FA / FIFA / whoever could crack down on players screaming abuse into the referee's face but for reasons best known to themselves choose not to do so.

Absolutely, but I'd extend this to a general comment about the attitude the players have to the match officials. Also, I know there is some gamesmanship in RU (e.g. the farce at the scrums where both props onthe blindside flout the laws on binding because the ref can't see, and pushing the law at the breakdown), but it is nowhere near the endemic levels present in professional football, where it seems more important to con the ref than to play the game. Classic example would be Rivaldo in the World Cup a few years ago, when he was hit on the leg by a ball kicked back at him and went down clutching his face.

Football needs a serious clamp down, not just on dissent but on the play-acting. It would only take a few weeks of a strict application of the rules and some serious fines and suspensions for the players to realise that they have to play the game fairly.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Wed 19 Oct 2011, 3:57 pm

A Pink card perhaps? for dissent, foul language and diving... 13 minutes in the bin/naughty bench.

The first dozen matches of the season would be 5-a-side Very Happy

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by Bitter Beer Wed 19 Oct 2011, 4:20 pm

Portnoy wrote:What RU can learn from Football:
Don't play club rugby when players are missing for International duty
Don't have playoffs - let the league decide
Play midweek games when the occasion demands

What Football can learn from RU:
A YC means 10 mins off the pitch
Accept video technology
Bonus points for goals

I'd agree with not playing club rugby during international windows, but football DOES have a play-off system in all but the premiership, so you're not strictly correct.

Bitter Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Wed 19 Oct 2011, 4:38 pm

Footballers are all cu*ts, and rugby players aren't (apart from Henson, O'Gara, and Patterson).

Done.

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 19 Oct 2011, 4:52 pm

dummy_half wrote:Football needs a serious clamp down, not just on dissent but on the play-acting. It would only take a few weeks of a strict application of the rules and some serious fines and suspensions for the players to realise that they have to play the game fairly.

This is what frustrates me: they had this much-publicised 'Respect' campaign and all it actually amounted to was one weekend that saw a few more yellow cards than usual, and that was that. If, as you say, football referees were given the backing to penalise dissent, even if it resulted in several players sent off per game, the message would be understood soon enough that the governing body / bodies meant business.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 19 Oct 2011, 6:02 pm

Theatrical diving should not be allowed to creep into rugby. You can yellow card supposedly in football for such an offence. But, without pointing the finger at any nation, milking a penalty is not quite the same as creating an incident where none occurred.

Penalty shootouts work in football (sort of). They wouldn´t in rugby. Play until a time limit and declare the winner then. If the score is equal, flip a coin, choose the kick off or the half and first points win.

Don´t allow clothing manufacturers to change their strip willy nilly to promote sales. Have strict guidelines for home strip and traditional colours must be kept.

Don´t let club rugby overtake test rugby in terms of importance.

What football can learn from rugby: how to harden up and what dying for your team mate really means.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu 20 Oct 2011, 9:27 am

I believe that footy sets its player bans on a number of games basis and it on a per competition(level) basis.

Thus Rooney got a three game ban in the Euros - but can still play domestic and European club competition.

First the Game rather than Week ban is appropriate and secondly the ban is for the tier of competition:

International competitive
International 'friendlies (e.g. AIs)
Euro competitive
Euro friendlies (e.g pre-seasons)
Domestic competitive
Domestic friendlies
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Thu 20 Oct 2011, 12:23 pm

bans don't work as they don't penalise the TEAM and the Player for the match the offence occurred in.

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu 20 Oct 2011, 12:48 pm

damage_13 wrote:bans don't work as they don't penalise the TEAM and the Player for the match the offence occurred in.

Bans do work in the sense that the the player's team is penalised.

But I'd agree that one of any match suspension should be carried forward to the next time the player is playing the offended opposition at the same level of rugby.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down