The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nike 20Xi Balls

+7
super_realist
K@S
raycastleunited
Maverick
Skydriver
Marcus
SmithersJones
11 posters

Go down

Nike 20Xi Balls Empty Nike 20Xi Balls

Post by SmithersJones Sun 16 Oct 2011, 10:34 pm

Much hyped, these balls have been in play in the US for most of this year, but aren't due to arrive in the UK until February. Has anyone played them, and if so are they noticeably different? I've managed to secure a dozen on ebay, and will report my own experience when I try them next week, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has tried them already.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Nike 20Xi Balls Empty Re: Nike 20Xi Balls

Post by Marcus Mon 17 Oct 2011, 12:22 am

I've tried them. A friend of mine bought some back from the US, and gave me a sleeve of three. I gave one a go for a few holes on Saturday.

They seem to be very durable, fly a mile and spin probably more than any other ball I've played, but they have the weirdest feel. They feel absolutely dead off the club face, almost as if the ball isn't compressing at all (even though it obviously is). I'm sure it's all down the new-fangled cover material.

I'm sure I'd get used to it after a few more hits, and maybe I'll try them again when they're more readily available, but for the time being I think I'll stick with my usual.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon 17 Oct 2011, 10:46 am

Marcus wrote:I've tried them. A friend of mine bought some back from the US, and gave me a sleeve of three. I gave one a go for a few holes on Saturday.

They seem to be very durable, fly a mile and spin probably more than any other ball I've played, but they have the weirdest feel. They feel absolutely dead off the club face, almost as if the ball isn't compressing at all (even though it obviously is). I'm sure it's all down the new-fangled cover material.

I'm sure I'd get used to it after a few more hits, and maybe I'll try them again when they're more readily available, but for the time being I think I'll stick with my usual.

Thanks Marcus, I'll look out for that feel (or lack of!). Just as a matter of interest, what is you usual?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Mon 17 Oct 2011, 10:55 am

I recall someone raving about the new Nikes a while ago - found this thread:

https://www.606v2.com/t6621-balls

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 17 Oct 2011, 12:38 pm

That would've been me raving about them, I got hold of 2 dozen when I went out to Doral, and have to say I love the feel of them, I don't think there is a dead feel to them at all. They come off the face very well and you can feel when you have correctly compressed the ball. I also think the spin rate is superb I get less and more controlable spin rates with them than I did the Pro V on which I think there is to high a spin rate.

The new Nike is certainly longer than most but more importantl for me extremely playable and controlable around the greens than the other premium rate balls

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 17 Oct 2011, 1:00 pm

So, just to sum up...

1. they feel almost as if the ball isn't compressing at all
or
2. you can feel when you have correctly compressed the ball

3. They feel absolutely dead off the club face
or
4. They come off the face very well

5. They spin probably more than any other ball I've played
or
6. They spin less than I did the Pro V on which I think there is too high a spin rate.

You've got to love the consistency! To each their own Laugh

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 17 Oct 2011, 1:19 pm

Ray you post though done in jest, actually highlights very well the reason that people should try things for themselves instead of going on advice of others, for the simple fact were all individual and will look for different things in even the same ball.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 17 Oct 2011, 1:58 pm

Absolutely Mav, it's amazing how much difference "feel" makes in golf, and how personal it is, whether it is clubs, clothing, or balls.

On another thread recently someone commented on a scratch golfer they knew who liked the feel of an Ultra over premium balls.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by K@S Mon 17 Oct 2011, 2:53 pm

Maverick wrote:That would've been me raving about them, I got hold of 2 dozen when I went out to Doral, and have to say I love the feel of them, I don't think there is a dead feel to them at all. They come off the face very well and you can feel when you have correctly compressed the ball. I also think the spin rate is superb I get less and more controlable spin rates with them than I did the Pro V on which I think there is to high a spin rate.

The new Nike is certainly longer than most but more importantl for me extremely playable and controlable around the greens than the other premium rate balls

As a matter of interest which of the 20x1's were you using? The "X" or the "S" .

K@S

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:25 pm

Can't use Nike out of principal. It would be like wearing Gola football boots or using an Asics Tennis racket, they're just a brand which doesn't really belong in golf.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:43 pm

super_realist wrote:Can't use Nike out of principal. It would be like wearing Gola football boots or using an Asics Tennis racket, they're just a brand which doesn't really belong in golf.

Nothing to do with your mate with the 14 major W's? Whistle

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by 4putt Mon 17 Oct 2011, 4:02 pm

raycastleunited wrote:
super_realist wrote:Can't use Nike out of principal. It would be like wearing Gola football boots or using an Asics Tennis racket, they're just a brand which doesn't really belong in golf.

If not that it could be the slave labour in third world countries.

4putt

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 17 Oct 2011, 5:00 pm

raycastleunited wrote:

Not all of them were with Nike.

Them being in Golf is like having a Berghaus set of irons. Completely ridiculous.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 17 Oct 2011, 5:03 pm

Nothing wrong with Gola footie boots, I had some when I was 16 which is getting on for 30 years ago. Had a green stripe down the side, I loved them.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 17 Oct 2011, 6:14 pm

K@S wrote:
Maverick wrote:That would've been me raving about them, I got hold of 2 dozen when I went out to Doral, and have to say I love the feel of them, I don't think there is a dead feel to them at all. They come off the face very well and you can feel when you have correctly compressed the ball. I also think the spin rate is superb I get less and more controlable spin rates with them than I did the Pro V on which I think there is to high a spin rate.

As a matter of interest which of the 20x1's were you using? The "X" or the "S" .

Ball I tried and am now still using is the "S" version I find I can get a good spin rateoff the ball and the feel on and around the greens is fantastic. It may not be the best ball for all but it certainly is for me and is staying in the bag. The "X" version is very much for someone looking for premium distance whereas I prefer the softer S for control.

For me the 20XI is better than the Pro-V with its to high spin rate, is more durable than the bridgstone which is a shame as its a damn fine ball, outperfromed the Zstar which I was using and I just cannot stand the Penta doesn't feel right when putting. So I'll be using the 20XI S for many years to come

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 17 Oct 2011, 6:18 pm

Just brought back 6 dozen Penta's from the States, local superstore is doing buy 2 doz get 1 free. Worked out at £18 a doz so I'll be sticking with them for a while.

Fortunately they are my fave ball heart

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 17 Oct 2011, 6:23 pm

raycastleunited wrote:Absolutely Mav, it's amazing how much difference "feel" makes in golf, and how personal it is, whether it is clubs, clothing, or balls.

On another thread recently someone commented on a scratch golfer they knew who liked the feel of an Ultra over premium balls.

i cant imagine any scratch golfer being able to get to scratch with an ultra unless the course has stopable greens all year round. i suppose i can understand one prefering the feel- but ultras can not play certain shots

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Tue 18 Oct 2011, 6:09 pm

SmithersJones wrote:
Marcus wrote:I've tried them. A friend of mine bought some back from the US, and gave me a sleeve of three. I gave one a go for a few holes on Saturday.

Thanks Marcus, I'll look out for that feel (or lack of!). Just as a matter of interest, what is you usual?

At the moment I'm using the 2011 Bridgestone B330-S, but have also been trying out the Srixon Z Star XV. I'm not sure what version of the Nike 20xi ball I used, but by the sound of Maverick's experience with them, it may well have been the harder version.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down