The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can Murray make number 2?

2 posters

Go down

Can Murray make number 2? Empty Can Murray make number 2?

Post by Guest Sun 16 Oct 2011, 2:33 pm

Congratulations to Andy Murray for reaching number 3 in the ATP rankings.

He most definitely deserves it as the rankings do not lie.

However the more intriguing question is if and when he can reach number 2 because in reality, as we all know, the difference between 3 and 4 is only numerical with a touch of added boasting rights for respective fans.

If Andy reaches number 2 it would really shuffle the pack at the top:

For Murray it would mean he avoids Novak before the final and he gets a shot at possibly Roger in the semi. I think at this stage he would prefer Roger to Rafa in a slam semi.

For Novak it wouldn't make too much difference except that he may get Rafa in a semi - and based on this year's results that would be most welcome.

For Roger it would mean that he avoids his nemesis Rafa until at least the final. It would certainly increase his chances at a slam.

For Rafa it would certainly make life tougher. He would have to get through either Murray or Novak in the semi's. He would be hoping that he lands on Murray's side and that Roger can do him a favour against Novak.

All in all I hope Murray can get to number 2 asap, as unfortunately I don't think Roger is motivated enough to go all out in the smaller tourneys in order to climb back up the rankings.

Is there a possibility that this scenario could unfold this season? If not, when is the likely date (if at a ll) for Murray to reach number 2 in the rankings and really shake things up at the top.

ghost

emancipator - universe's foremost expert on tennis and united galaxies sporting ambassador to children, fish and trees.

Back to top Go down

Can Murray make number 2? Empty Re: Can Murray make number 2?

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun 16 Oct 2011, 2:58 pm

emancipator, I can answer that (roughly). For Murray to end the year n°2 is highly improbable, though not impossible. Murray basically needs to win everything (Valencia, Paris and WTF) and Nadal to not do too great, or at least win Paris and WTF and hope Nadal has some very early exits. I can find the specifics, but basically Nadal is over 2000 points ahead in the YTD rankings.

More likely is that Murray could overtake Nadal either after the AO if he wins it (remember he has final points to defend there), or if he does well (probably final at least), he could overtake Rafa after the American spring HC swing where he has nothing to defend and Rafa a couple of finals.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Oct 2011, 5:15 pm

I'm sorry E, but to call yourself "emancipator - universe's foremost expert on Tennis" and you don't even know how or when he could make No2 in the world is a bit of a contradiction.

Still, the question is viable and one that Andy I am sure will set in his sights for 2012, as he has said himself, reaching 2 or 1 is impossible this year.

But he still needs to keep up playing the kind of tennis he is playing atm, so he can keep his No3 tag to the end of the year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Oct 2011, 6:29 pm

My dear child Jubbahey,

If I were to post the answer to every question on every matter pertaining to tennis, children, fish and trees (as well as everything else) there would not be much room for discussion.

Even the minions have a purpose.

ghost

emancipator - My children I have spoken

Back to top Go down

Post by HarpoMars Sun 16 Oct 2011, 11:23 pm

If Murray overtakes Nadal to become no. 2 then it will be like the old days when Rog and Rafa were nos 1, 2, and Novak and Andy were 3,4 but in reverse. Having said that, the players certainly have changed quite a bit since then!

I think we're in for a treat next year as Djokovic has so many points to defend, Nadal with not so much and the other two with even less. The race for the number 1 could get ugly! (but very interesting for us Smile )

HarpoMars

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down