The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Next Big Thing

+4
MtotheC
Brady12
Crimey
AberdeenSteve
8 posters

Go down

The Next Big Thing Empty The Next Big Thing

Post by AberdeenSteve Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:05 pm

We all know that of the current WWE roster, Randy Orton and John Cena are seen as the two top guys in the company. Over the last few months we have seen CM Punk slowly creep behind them but is still a bit off before he can be classed as a top company.

Now, Cena and Orton have continually been pushed to the high heavens and this has caused the WWE to become some what lazy in its booking and have squashed several guys (Sheamus, Barrett etc) who could potentially become the next big guys to carry the company. The WWE are in a situation that if Cena/Orton were to be injured and it to turn out career finishing, they have a massive gap to fill. They did have the likes of Edge, Triple H etc to fall back on if this were to happen but both have passed their time.

So I pass it to the 606v2 wrestling community to put forward their suggestions and opinions on who would be that guy if they were put in a situation where they had to fill the gap left by a departing Orton/Cena barring the obvious CM Punk. Would it be a current member of the WWE roster, or an FCW guy pushed massively?

I know there are a lot of what ifs could be involved but we are just speaking hypothetically and I am interested to see what guys you all put forward.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

The Next Big Thing Empty Re: The Next Big Thing

Post by Crimey Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:10 pm

I think Sheamus is my tip to be the next big thing, he has the look WWE likes, but at the same time is unique. He's good in the ring and surprisingly good on the mic, I think the face turn has been good for him and I really hope to see him have a good strong world title run after he finishes with Christian, I'd like to see him be the guy to beat Mark Henry. I certainly can see Sheamus filling the spot left by Triple H or Batista.

The Miz will also probably make the step up sooner rather than later, he was a passenger when Cena and The Rock were around, but at the end of the day it was The Miz who was put into that position which was a big angle, and so I think they have faith in him. Good on the mic and decent enough in the ring he should be the next big thing, and I think I see a face turn fairly soon for The Miz, which could be good if they allow him to go with it.

Guys who I think should make it but I'm not confident they will are guys like Del Rio, and Wade Barrett. They're both good enough to become real main event calibre, but I'm not sure WWE has the confidence in Barrett or that Del Rio is been given enough of a free reign to become successful. Jack Swagger, Dolph Ziggler and Daniel Bryan are also three guys I think could be big, but I am definitely not confident they will be at all.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:47 pm

I definitely agree on Sheamus, his name is the first to appear in my head when I think of this topic. Like you said, he has all the tools that would allow him to be a success at being one of the WWE's top guys. He also has proved he can be successful at playing both a heel and a face which the Orton has struggled to do.

As for The Miz, I just don't know if he has what it takes. I am really enjoying his current vicious heel run and I feel that may be the best role for him to play but I don't know if he could pull of a face role successfully.

I am also interested too see how Skip Sheffield is booked when he makes his return. If all the reports and rumours were true about Vince being high up on him I'd expect he may be massively pushed on his return to the ring.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:57 pm

I'd like them to just throw some weight behind Wade Barrett & just run with it. He has a good look that suits the WWE his skills in the ring are above average & his mic work is sensational for a relative novice. He was thrown in the main event scene with Cena 12 months ago & held his own.

Give him the ball & he'll run with it

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC Sat 15 Oct 2011, 12:30 am

I believe there are three categories to focus on when considering this subject, there's the wrestlers who have the potential, the guys who have the ability and the performers who have the experience to become the next big star.

Firstly there's guys like Wade Barrett, ADR, The Miz and Sheamus who have all the tools to become huge they can work a decent match, perform well on the mic, cut quality promo's and draw a reaction from the crowd. The potential for these guys is there and IMO it all comes down to booking, given the right angles, the right match or the right 'moment' these guys could be elevated to the top.

Secondly there's the guys who have the ability, D.Bryan, John Morrision, Cody Rhodes and Dolph Ziggler. These guys at varying levels all have fantastic in ring ability, they have the move sets, variation of performance, all can sell moves and put others over. Their ability alone could get them to the top level, however it is well documented that you can have all the ability in the world and still not make it to the very top of pro wrestling as all the pieces of the puzzle need to fit into place.

Finally you have the wrestlers who have the experience the likes of Christian, Kane, Big Show or Rey. These guys have the know how, the been there done that brought the t-shirt factor, they have won world titles in the past and know what it takes to be on top, they know how to perform as either face or heel and are generally over with the fans. Any of these would be a safe pair of hands to pass the ball to and let them run with it.

My choice based on ability alone would be D.Bryan he has it all inside the ring, he can create so much emotion when performing which is strange for some one who is so uncomfortable cutting promos. He can put on a wrestling clinic, a mat base style that mixes a range of high flying to submission a real eclectic mix. However his limitations may hold him back he lacks charisma outside of the ring and has a generic look/gimmick.

However I believe that it will be Rhodes, it may take a year but he will be world champion within the next 12 Months. He probably encapsulates all three of the above sectors more than anybody else, he has developed a character and gimmick that is fresh and new, his in ring work is top notch and after the best part of 5 years in wwe and the amateur background he has the experience, he just needs that potential to turn into momentum!

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Sat 15 Oct 2011, 11:46 am

MtotheC wrote:I believe there are three categories to focus on when considering this subject, there's the wrestlers who have the potential, the guys who have the ability and the performers who have the experience to become the next big star.

Firstly there's guys like Wade Barrett, ADR, The Miz and Sheamus who have all the tools to become huge they can work a decent match, perform well on the mic, cut quality promo's and draw a reaction from the crowd. The potential for these guys is there and IMO it all comes down to booking, given the right angles, the right match or the right 'moment' these guys could be elevated to the top.

Secondly there's the guys who have the ability, D.Bryan, John Morrision, Cody Rhodes and Dolph Ziggler. These guys at varying levels all have fantastic in ring ability, they have the move sets, variation of performance, all can sell moves and put others over. Their ability alone could get them to the top level, however it is well documented that you can have all the ability in the world and still not make it to the very top of pro wrestling as all the pieces of the puzzle need to fit into place.

Finally you have the wrestlers who have the experience the likes of Christian, Kane, Big Show or Rey. These guys have the know how, the been there done that brought the t-shirt factor, they have won world titles in the past and know what it takes to be on top, they know how to perform as either face or heel and are generally over with the fans. Any of these would be a safe pair of hands to pass the ball to and let them run with it.

My choice based on ability alone would be D.Bryan he has it all inside the ring, he can create so much emotion when performing which is strange for some one who is so uncomfortable cutting promos. He can put on a wrestling clinic, a mat base style that mixes a range of high flying to submission a real eclectic mix. However his limitations may hold him back he lacks charisma outside of the ring and has a generic look/gimmick.

However I believe that it will be Rhodes, it may take a year but he will be world champion within the next 12 Months. He probably encapsulates all three of the above sectors more than anybody else, he has developed a character and gimmick that is fresh and new, his in ring work is top notch and after the best part of 5 years in wwe and the amateur background he has the experience, he just needs that potential to turn into momentum!

Rey?? Heel?? Really??

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sat 15 Oct 2011, 11:49 am

I don't agree with Big Show, Kane or Rey. They are all miles past it and they will have all joined Edge & co in the happy world of in-ring retirement within the next 3 or so years.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by User Name Sat 15 Oct 2011, 12:14 pm

Brodus Clay is the next big thing.

User Name

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC Sat 15 Oct 2011, 12:29 pm

With my first post I was trying to covey the range of talent available to take a step up, sure Kane, show and Rey are in the more experienced category sure but given the right angles could push on to the top. With regards to Rey as a heel ok he hasn't portrayed that side of his character yet but with his experience and know how I am confident he could make the switch. The point of my original post was to show the opions available and the tools required to be the next big star, I also stated my two picks were Bryan and Rhodes.

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Sat 15 Oct 2011, 12:32 pm

Fair enough. I would love to see Mysterio as a heel. And he could go round stealing all the Rey Mysterio masks from all the lil kids!!!

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC Sat 15 Oct 2011, 12:37 pm

Thanks for critique shot 21, I try to add something to the debate and you pick the holes out of it... By highlighting 11 words and replying with 3. Thanks mate.

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Sat 15 Oct 2011, 12:51 pm

Laugh

Anytime mate!!! thumbsup

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sat 15 Oct 2011, 1:01 pm

I consider CM Punk as one of the "main guys now" I see it as Cena, Orton and Punk.

Sheamus is getting close. He has proven he can work well as face and as heel.

I really like Wade Barret. He is fantastic on the mic and his in ring skills are not bad either. I think he needs a push on smackdown.

The Miz and R Truth are doing there current job well. Needless to say R Truth is a lot better as heel than face.

So to sum up i only see 3 main guys in the roster. The others i mention are getting close !

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Sat 15 Oct 2011, 2:29 pm

R Truth is far too old to be getting close, he's 40 in 3 months time.

Sheamus, I'd like it to be the case, I just don't think he'd get over with enough people to make it.

Same goes for Barrett and pretty much anyone from Britain. American fans tend to be fairly insular and I just can't ever see them getting hugely behind someone not from their shores, Canadians are usually the exception to the rule.

There's really not many on the current roster that I can see it in. In a CM Punk mode of getting over as a heel first then the one that has the potential is Jon Moxley (or as he's been rebranded Dean Ambrose) in FCW, one of the best heels I've seen in the business and I think him v Punk would be akin to the Austin v HHH rivalries at the height of Attitude.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down