The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warren Gatland - Tenure

+3
wonder_man
Shifty
wales606
7 posters

Go down

Warren Gatland - Tenure Empty Warren Gatland - Tenure

Post by wales606 Sun 09 Oct 2011, 6:01 pm

Warren Gatland took over the reigns of Wales after the abysmal performance against Fiji in the World Cup of 2007. Gatland had a history of success at club level, having coached Wasps to Heineken Cup champions alongside Shaun Edwards who joined Wales as defence coach.

Gatland made an immediate impact, in his first game in charge as coach and Wales' first game since Fiji in Nantes, Wales secured their first victory in Twickernam for 20 years. Wales went on to win the Grand Slam of the 2008 Six Nations. It was won on a solid defence, with Wales beating the record for least tries conceded in a 6N tournement. Gatland was immediatly glorified in the Welsh press, and this victory would perhaps help steady the ship in later years when Gatland's reputation sank.

Gatlands success would not last. 2009 and 2010 were poor years for Welsh rugby, finishing 4th in the 6 Nations at both attempts. Gatland looked to test Wales against the best and repeated defeats to the Tri-Nations teams did little to boost the morale of the Welsh public.

Wales magical attack of 2005 had disappeared and their superb defence of 2008 had wilted.

Gatland had continous pressure on him as Wales victory rate slipped and slipped in 2010 with only victories coming at home against Italy in the 6N and also in an unconvincing performance at home against Scotland which was only won with a last second Shane Williams try.

However, Wales did seem to be closing the gap, losing by 3 points to SA in the Summer of 2010 and then by 4 later that year. Wales had closed the results against all the top nations, but still seemed unable to close down a game or secure a victory and the SH domination over Wales continued.

Gatland's worst game as coach was a 33 - 12 drubbing by Australia in Cardiff in 2009, Wales wouldnt secure more than 2 victories untill the 2011 6Ns.

Warren's build up to the World cup did not start well, with 0 victories in the Autumn Internationals, including an embarrassing draw against Fiji in Cardiff, a game that saw the last game for Dan Biggar and Ritchie Rees, which would eventually lead Gatland to select Rhys Preistland and Lloyd Williams in his world cup squad.

The 6Ns was little better for Wales, a rare victory over Ireland was mard by controversy and victories over Scotland and Italy didnt prove much.

Although the performance wasnt there from Wales, on paper, the team seemed strong. Gatland had introduced many new faces into the Welsh team and after the 6Ns the Welsh team seemed to be far younger than the class of 2008. Sam Warburton, Dan Lydiate, George North, Bradley Davies, Rhys Preistland, Tavis Knoyle, Lloyd Williams, Jonathon Davies, Jamie Roberts, Paul James, Richard Hibbard, Toby Faletau, Leigh Halfpenny and Scott Williams had all been brought into the squad by Gatland and all would find themselves selected for the world cup.

The turning point for this Welsh team came in the World Cup warm-ups, when Gatland has his first full 'pre-season' with Wales, something he had been used to having as a coach with Wasps. Gatlands obsession with fitness and defence started to pay off in the warmups with good performances against England and Argentina.

Wales first World cup game ended in a 1pt defeat to South Africa, again Wales had been competitive, again they had lost, only this time by such a small margin and with such a good performance that rather than being disheartened by losing the game they had been preparing for since June, the Welsh team under the command of the youngest World Cup captain Sam Warburton decided that they would do whatever they could do so they didnt have to feel the heartbreak of such a close defeat again.

This Welsh team has been growing in confidence since that performance. A lot of credit has to go to the youngster including Warburton who have put in the work, but credit has to go to Warren Gatland who has out-thought Wales opposition and not been afraid to make daring decisions despite the pressure on his job. His risks ar starting to pay off.

Next week, Wales play their first WC Semi Final since 1987, and the road to the final is open.

This is the best Welsh team of the proffessional era and they believe they are cabable of going all the way, meanwhile their coach and captain will keep them focused on the next game, and the next...

Last edited by wales606 on Sun 09 Oct 2011, 6:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland - Tenure Empty Re: Warren Gatland - Tenure

Post by Shifty Sun 09 Oct 2011, 6:11 pm

We might turn over Australia in December, but to be honest I think this Welsh team will come back to a lot of fanfare and adulation from the Welsh public. then these Welsh players will believe they have made it, stop aspiring to be better and stop working hard.

Wales always fall to pieces after being successful, we always find a way to destroy ourselves on the rare occasions we are successful.

Wales simply aren't consistent and for every Grand slam and world Cup semi final there is always a train wreck around the corner for us. Doh

Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 09 Oct 2011, 6:14 pm

AlynDavies wrote:We might turn over Australia in December, but to be honest I think this Welsh team will come back to a lot of fanfare and adulation from the Welsh public. then these Welsh players will believe they have made it, stop aspiring to be better and stop working hard.

Wales always fall to pieces after being successful, we always find a way to destroy ourselves on the rare occasions we are successful.

Wales simply aren't consistent and for every Grand slam and world Cup semi final there is always a train wreck around the corner for us. Doh

Optimist Alyn?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wonder_man Sun 09 Oct 2011, 6:14 pm

great article. dosen't seem very ametureish though! are you in journalism?

wonder_man

Back to top Go down

Post by wonder_man Sun 09 Oct 2011, 6:17 pm

Alyn this is a fresh team, its not the same players that have let us down before. ive never seen a welsh side so hungry. ill put my money on them getting some grand slam medals to go with those world cup ones.

wonder_man

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 09 Oct 2011, 6:20 pm

wonder_man wrote:great article. dosen't seem very ametureish though! are you in journalism?

Nope...ill take that as a compliment though
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 09 Oct 2011, 6:21 pm

wonder_man wrote:Alyn this is a fresh team, its not the same players that have let us down before. ive never seen a welsh side so hungry. ill put my money on them getting some grand slam medals to go with those world cup ones.

wales606 wrote:Optimist Alyn?

Na sadly I just remember the young Welsh teams on 1987, 1994, 2005 etc, who promised so much but were a flash in the pan. Wales aren't big or strong enough to dominate European rugby for any period of time. We go boom and bust as a rule.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Sun 09 Oct 2011, 6:22 pm

thumbsup
great post
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by wonder_man Sun 09 Oct 2011, 6:22 pm

That you should. Very well written and researched OK

wonder_man

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sun 09 Oct 2011, 6:53 pm

AlynDavies wrote:
wonder_man wrote:Alyn this is a fresh team, its not the same players that have let us down before. ive never seen a welsh side so hungry. ill put my money on them getting some grand slam medals to go with those world cup ones.

wales606 wrote:Optimist Alyn?

Na sadly I just remember the young Welsh teams on 1987, 1994, 2005 etc, who promised so much but were a flash in the pan. Wales aren't big or strong enough to dominate European rugby for any period of time. We go boom and bust as a rule.

to be fair the team in 87 won the triple crown the following year and then we had an exodus of 20+ players including our playmaker and best forwards go north. we struggled after that any team would.

In 1994 we won the championship but lost in England and honestly we were not that great imo but again we suffered with two of our best players going north.

The post 2005 debacle can be laid at a number of doors, the player power followed by an inept coach. The quality of those players was proven in 2008 when they won another slam. Since 2008 Gats has radically changed the side and created his own team. In 2008 they were still the Team Hansen built and he put structures into place which got us back to performing.

Wales 2011 vintage is a very different animal to 05, 94 and 87 No rugby league to poach our players, a coach in control of the dressing room and a clutch of young players who are proffessional in a way Ive not seen in a welsh team before. The regional teams are full of youngsters coming through with great skills and real potential. The Academys are working. About the only things Welsh rugby need at the moment is bigger crowds and an A team.

I think the days of self immolation are over Alyn.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 09 Oct 2011, 7:10 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:I think the days of self immolation are over Alyn.
I was wondering what happened to Comical Ali the Iraqi information minister, he moved to Wales and uses the forum name TycroesOsprey! laughing

Seriously though... Time will tell but Wales will always implode, it's our nature.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sun 09 Oct 2011, 7:21 pm

AlynDavies wrote:
TycroesOsprey wrote:I think the days of self immolation are over Alyn.
I was wondering what happened to Comical Ali the Iraqi information minister, he moved to Wales and uses the forum name TycroesOsprey! laughing

Seriously though... Time will tell but Wales will always implode, it's our nature.

I think my comments were a fair and balanced reflection of what happened all those years ago. Only once have we imploded and that was in 2006-7 with Gareth Jenkins at the helm. In 94 and 87 we were hit by rugby league and the onset of proffessionalism. My point is that this time things are different if thats comical to you fair enough, comparing me to a war criminal however isnt. warning

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 09 Oct 2011, 7:27 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:I think my comments were a fair and balanced reflection of what happened all those years ago. Only once have we imploded and that was in 2006-7 with Gareth Jenkins at the helm. In 94 and 87 we were hit by rugby league and the onset of proffessionalism. My point is that this time things are different if thats comical to you fair enough, comparing me to a war criminal however isnt. warning
Sorry I wasn't trying to be offensive, also he wasn't a war criminal, he handed himself in and was released by the UN without charge, I read somewhere he is a news reader now.

I agree with a lot of your points, however I Wales measure themselves in the 6 Nations and to be consistent against France, England and Ireland is nearly impossible, all 4 nations are so close in ability, hence why we have had so many topsy turvy championships over the last decade.
Hence why I feel it will be hard to be consistent like we were between 1969-1979.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Sun 09 Oct 2011, 7:31 pm

I believe that there is definitely a difference this time around. I believe that this i's living proof that the regional system is working. As a dragons fan, you can see the diffence that the academies are making. Ourselves and the scarlets have had to produce more so than the blues and o's, purely because we're both skint. You can see a difference in the youngsters being developed. They're more proffesiinal and are physically more developed at a younger age. You only have to look at George north, lydiate and warburton. I read an interview a few months ago with warburton and lydiate. The pair room together and said that while a few of the boys have a beer after the game. They prefer to chill out in their room and talk about the game they've just played. Stephen jones mentioned that the youngsters are showing the old heads the way. That's
amazing to hear.
I've been a massive critic of warren gatland. I thought that the likes of priestland and faletau should have been exposed to test match rugby earlier than they were, but it just goes to show that these boys are fearless. I honestly didn't think that gatland would start picking on form, but these youngsters must have really impressed before the warm up games.
What I find really inspiring about the regions are just how many quality youngsters are coming through. The scarlets 2 years ago were the bottom welsh region. They couldn't afford to spend money and had to give youth a chance. They've lost lyons and king, but they've got priestland, Scott Williams, JD, north etc. Their fans must be so proud of their boys. The o's are 6 from 6 in the league and have the likes of tipuric and Webb who are ones for the future. The same can be said for the blues and dragons.
I spoke to a friend of mine the other day. He's been a critic of gatland too. He thought that this was gatland's plan all along. To play the youngsters in the WC and drop theusual suspects to the bench or not even take them. I'm not so sure myself. But I'm very optimistic about the French game and where other NH teams will need rebuilding. Our team are largely just getting going. We must be red hot favourites for the 6Ns and all of a sudden we have genuine competition all over the field.
As somebody posted yesterday. What the he'll happened in Poland? And what the he'll has happened to huw Bennett. He's been immense as too has charteris, another who never seemed to be able to cut it at the highest level is all of a sudden 1st choice lock.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 09 Oct 2011, 7:44 pm

Spoiler:

The quotes:

"There are no American infidels in Baghdad. Never!"
Jesus Christ! there are Irish traveler sites springing up all over New Zealand, all the drain covers are missing and all the red diesel has vanished!

"My feelings - as usual - we will slaughter them all"
Australia want to beat New Zealand in the Semi.

"Our initial assessment is that they will all die"
Martin Johnson hasn't figured out it will be France not england who are playing Wales next week.

"God will roast their stomachs in hell at the hands of Iraqis."
If you see anyone with a South African accent near the New Zealand kitchen, be very wary!

"They're coming to surrender or be burned in their tanks."
the French have their white flags ready for next week.

"No I am not scared, and neither should you be!"
Oh f*ck... Wales might have to play New Zealand if we keep winning! Run

"Who are in control, they are not in control of anything - they don't even control themselves!"
Martin Johnson instilling the steely resolve and discipline in his English team that served him so well as a player.

"I blame Al-Jazeera - they are marketing for the Americans!"
A random Samoan moaning about the World Cup schedule.

"I can say, and I am responsible for what I am saying, that they have started to commit suicide under the walls of Baghdad. We
will encourage them to commit more suicides quickly."
Ashamed Tuilagi Makes a Break For It by jumping off a Ferry into the sea.

"We have destroyed 2 tanks, fighter planes, 2 helicopters and their shovels - We have driven them back."
Ronan O'Gara managed to make a tackle. Yahoo

"The American press is all about lies! All they tell is lies, lies and more lies!"
Martin Johnson condeming the treatment of his players in the English press.

"I have detailed information about the situation...which completely proves that what they allege are illusions . . . They lie every day."
Wayne Barnes tries to make a correct decision in a game he is refereeing.

"Lying is forbidden in Iraq. President Saddam Hussein will tolerate nothing but truthfulness as he is a man of great honor and integrity. Everyone is encouraged to speak freely of the truths evidenced in their eyes and hearts."
Honestly Martin... Tindall didn't play with the blonde, Tugi didn't jump off a boat, Wilkinson had the correct ball and England are still a great side!

Of US troops: "They are most welcome. We will butcher them."
The Kiwis are delighted Wales made it to the final to play New Zealand!

"We blocked them inside the city. Their rear is blocked"
Mike Phillips gets into a fight with another Mcdonalds bouncer, but this one was a grumpy Samoan who stuck a Big Mac up his... Rear! Erm
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 09 Oct 2011, 8:23 pm

Alyn??? ummm why? what? when? wherefore? whether?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Sun 09 Oct 2011, 8:40 pm

alyn,

thumbsup

unusual, but funny
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 09 Oct 2011, 8:51 pm

Sorry Iv'e been watching the Australia and South Africa game on ITV Iplayer, I am so mind numbingly bored steam

I had to stick on the Scarlets Vs Edinburugh game, at least I can laugh at the Scarlets scrum half then.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Sun 09 Oct 2011, 9:24 pm

Alyn. Tell me about it. I hit up at 6 this morning to watch that guff and now I'm on my arse. One more speckled hen and I'm off to bed. But what a weekend!!!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 09 Oct 2011, 9:27 pm

Yes, what a weekend thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Sun 09 Oct 2011, 9:31 pm

Oh. Nearly forgot. Dont mean to brag but I'm gonna anyway. Still top of the rabies pro 12 global sport guru.
Dragons fans. 1st.
Autopool. 1st.
Mates pool. 1st.
606 v2 pool. 1st.
GLOBAL. 1st.

Happy days indeed!!!

The only downer was my £2 double. Wales and France op both win by 6-10 points. Nearly picked up £105. Still. Id take a Wales semi final spot all day long.

Same again next weekend boys!!!

Last edited by manofgwent on Sun 09 Oct 2011, 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Oct 2011, 9:54 pm

Yep the Tri nations teams put out a really poor advert for the game with that display this morning.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down