The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Great Fight In the year you were born?

+19
slash912
Bob
Adam D
Scottrf
Jimmy Stuart
StuDavies
smashingstormcrow
Hawktimeman
Imperial Ghosty
The Galveston Giant
Rowley
Valero's Conscience
azania
samevans1
Zeb the owl
Union Cane
Sugar Boy Sweetie
88Chris05
Rodney
23 posters

Go down

The Great Fight In the year you were born? Empty The Great Fight In the year you were born?

Post by Rodney Mon 28 Feb 2011, 3:04 pm

Simple topic lads, which great fight happened in the year you were born ?? and as a side interest can you remember watching your first ever fight and who was between ??

I'll start with mine, the actual Ring Magazine fight of the year was Danny Lopez v Mike Ayala, havent actually seen the fight so cant comment (has anyone seen this fight be interested if you have), but of the fights I've seen in 1979, I'd probably go with Ray Leonard vs Wilfredo Benitez.

The first fight I can actually vaguely remember is Frank Bruno's title attempt at Tim Witherspoon at Wembley, for those on here older than me (not many) for some reason I can remember the fight being recorded an televised in the morning, Is that correct ? Or was it on live then repeated first thing? Anyhow I remember My Mother, Father and brothers huddled around our very posh colour T.V waiting to see if Big Frank delivered.

Any Memories fellas?

Thanks Very Much

Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

The Great Fight In the year you were born? Empty Re: The Great Fight In the year you were born?

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 28 Feb 2011, 3:17 pm

Rodders, if I remember correctly from a book I read on Bruno (my first ever boxing book, read it when I was about seven) I think there was a big dispute over the television rights for the Witherspoon fight between the BBC and ITV, with neither being able to secure the rights to it, and the broadcaster showing the re-run of it being decided by a coin toss. Been years and years since I read it though, so could be wrong.

The first fight I can properly remember (as in the build up to it, how the fight went without having to re-watch it and so on) was Bruno's title win over McCall in 1995. Bruno was my first boxing hero, so it has always stuck in my mind.

As for the year I was born (1988), Orlando Canizales beating Kevin Seabrooks in fifteen rounds would be a strong contender for both the best individual performance, as well as the best fight overall. Not sure who 'The Ring' magazine gave the honour to that year, but that would probably be my choice.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

The Great Fight In the year you were born? Empty Re: The Great Fight In the year you were born?

Post by Rodney Mon 28 Feb 2011, 3:34 pm

Cheers for that Chris, you make me feel old as the hills by the way.

Yeah I remember Bruno v McCall Chris, I was 16 at the time, remember Benn on the undercard getting shook to his boots by some journeyman. I was always a big Lewis fan Chris, so although I was delighted for Frank I was too busy bickering with my mates that Lewis would flatten him again.

Cheers

Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Mon 28 Feb 2011, 3:40 pm

I did this very article on 606 a few months back and was accused by that truss bum licking plank onetwo of copying some guy off the eastside forum!

Anyway mine is Ray Leonard v Tommy Hearns 1 in 1981. Total classic. The words "you're blowing it son" followed by Leonard coming out fighting hard in the 13th and stopping the Hitman in the 14th is something I never tire of rewatching.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon 28 Feb 2011, 3:47 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:I did this very article on 606 a few months back and was accused by that truss bum licking plank onetwo of copying some guy off the eastside forum!

Anyway mine is Ray Leonard v Tommy Hearns 1 in 1981. Total classic. The words "you're blowing it son" followed by Leonard coming out fighting hard in the 13th and stopping the Hitman in the 14th is something I never tire of rewatching.

I wasnt on 606 Sugar so apologise it wasnt a blantant attempt in plagiarism, thanks for the contribution and great fight mate.

Cheers

Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 28 Feb 2011, 3:55 pm

Foreman v Lyle for me, five rounds of pure heavyweight slugfestery.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon 28 Feb 2011, 4:00 pm

Union Cane wrote:Foreman v Lyle for me, five rounds of pure heavyweight slugfestery.

Superb fight Union.

Cheers

Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeb the owl Mon 28 Feb 2011, 4:00 pm

SRL vs Hagler in 1987 would be mine, bit predictable going for a foty but i cant say i have anywhere near the knowledge of most of the posters on here and cant say i have seen much else from that year.

Therefore any suggestions for a new fight for me to take a look at and maybe become a new favourite would be more than welcome Smile

Zeb the owl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Mon 28 Feb 2011, 4:05 pm

Rodney wrote:
Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:I did this very article on 606 a few months back and was accused by that truss bum licking plank onetwo of copying some guy off the eastside forum!

I wasnt on 606 Sugar so apologise it wasnt a blantant attempt in plagiarism, thanks for the contribution and great fight mate.

Cheers

Rodders

No need to apologise to me mate, was just taking the opportunity to insult onetwo!
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon 28 Feb 2011, 4:07 pm

Zeb the owl wrote:SRL vs Hagler in 1987 would be mine, bit predictable going for a foty but i cant say i have anywhere near the knowledge of most of the posters on here and cant say i have seen much else from that year.

Therefore any suggestions for a new fight for me to take a look at and maybe become a new favourite would be more than welcome Smile

Zeb, Matthew Hilton v Buster Drayton is absolutely thrilling, Its 15 rounds so make sure you have a spare hour or so mate.

Cheers

Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeb the owl Mon 28 Feb 2011, 4:11 pm

Rodney wrote:
Zeb the owl wrote:SRL vs Hagler in 1987 would be mine, bit predictable going for a foty but i cant say i have anywhere near the knowledge of most of the posters on here and cant say i have seen much else from that year.

Zeb, Matthew Hilton v Buster Drayton is absolutely thrilling, Its 15 rounds so make sure you have a spare hour or so mate.

Cheers

Rodders

Thanks, Will give that a watch when i have some time free mate Smile

Zeb the owl

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon 28 Feb 2011, 4:12 pm

You're welcome mate, Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks

rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Mon 28 Feb 2011, 4:13 pm

I was born in 1983. I suppose Hagler-Duran was the biggest fight of that year?

First fight I remember staying up for was Holyfield Bowe II; my dad bollocked me and then ended up watching it with me!

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 28 Feb 2011, 4:18 pm

Zeb, Rodders has taken a good call on Drayton versus Hilton, you'll enjoy that one if you get around to it.

Other great bouts from 1987 would include Julio Cesar Chavez versus Edwin Rosario (not so much a great fight in the classical sense, but simply one of the best individual performances you're likely to see) and, at domestic level, Tom Collins beating John Moody for the British Light-Heavyweight title. Still one of the best fights ever seen in a British ring for me, and if you can find it I'm sure you'll enjoy.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 28 Feb 2011, 4:19 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Zeb, Rodders has taken a good call on Drayton versus Hilton, you'll enjoy that one if you get around to it.

Other great bouts from 1987 would include Julio Cesar Chavez versus Edwin Rosario (not so much a great fight in the classical sense, but simply one of the best individual performances you're likely to see) and, at domestic level, Tom Collins beating John Moody for the British Light-Heavyweight title. Still one of the best fights ever seen in a British ring for me, and if you can find it I'm sure you'll enjoy.

True story about one of the Hilton brothers. He went to rod a pharmacy waering a training top with his name emblazoned on the back. What a dumb fool.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon 28 Feb 2011, 4:25 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Zeb, Rodders has taken a good call on Drayton versus Hilton, you'll enjoy that one if you get around to it.

Thanks Chris,

Love the Collins v Moody shout.

Cheers

Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Mon 28 Feb 2011, 4:37 pm

Don Curry beat Ron Stafford to retain his WBA title the day I was born!

Haha, you learn something new every day!

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon 28 Feb 2011, 4:50 pm

samevans1 wrote:Don Curry beat Ron Stafford to retain his WBA title the day I was born!

Haha, you learn something new every day!

Ha cheers Sam, you should've kept that quiet mate, Trussman will be following you around like a dog on heat from now.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 28 Feb 2011, 4:52 pm

I was born in 1985 so I guess the only choice is Hagler vs Hearns!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 28 Feb 2011, 4:58 pm

Valero's Conscience, while nobody would argue with picking Hearns-Hagler for your year of 1985, I think McGuigan-Pedroza as well as Rosario-Randall (in London, oddly enough) would make it a superb top three.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 28 Feb 2011, 5:56 pm

Was born in 73, the Ring gave fight of the year to Frazier Foreman one which is a bit disappointing to be honest because it is hardly the most competitive of spectacles is it!

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 28 Feb 2011, 6:02 pm

In fairness Jeff, it was a very, very close contest until Foreman threw a punch.

I think, looking some of Ring Magazine's choices, they have a tendancy to simply pick the 'biggest fight' rather than the best sometimes.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 28 Feb 2011, 6:15 pm

I'm 85 too so obviously Hagler v Hearns takes it but Balboa v Drago is not far behind
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 28 Feb 2011, 6:15 pm

rowley wrote:Was born in 73, the Ring gave fight of the year to Frazier Foreman one which is a bit disappointing to be honest because it is hardly the most competitive of spectacles is it!

I fail to see how a demolotion and non competitive fight could be FOTY.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 28 Feb 2011, 6:40 pm

samevans1 wrote:I was born in 1983. I suppose Hagler-Duran was the biggest fight of that year?

First fight I remember staying up for was Holyfield Bowe II; my dad bollocked me and then ended up watching it with me!

Same here but my favourite fight of the year would have to be Duran destroying Moore

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawktimeman Mon 28 Feb 2011, 6:50 pm

I'm blessed on this one guys. I was born in '74, so i think that says it all really.

I vaguely remember some old domestic fighters getting their backsides handed to them from way back when very young, but it certainly gave me the bug. Namely Ray Leonard icing Dave Boy Green and a scary bald badass slicing Minter up.

The first fight that i embraced the build up to, all the way to the result, was Bruno and Witherspoon...always remember the way factions of the british press hoodwinked a young lad into believing that he would do the business.

Hawktimeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeb the owl Tue 01 Mar 2011, 8:44 am

Cheers for the suggestion mate, so much to watch and so little free time, sure i can find some time at work though Smile

Zeb the owl

Back to top Go down

Post by smashingstormcrow Tue 01 Mar 2011, 8:52 am

1976, Rocky Balboa vs Apollo Creed.

smashingstormcrow

Back to top Go down

Post by StuDavies Tue 01 Mar 2011, 5:37 pm

The official Ring Magazine fight of the year for my year of birth was George Foreman v Ron Lyle which ended in a 5th round K.O - I have not seen it but will be searching youtube later on this evening.

The first fight I remember watching fully was Mike Tyson V Frank Bruno in 1989, I was 12. watched it on a Sunday morning with my older brother, since then I've been hooked!

StuDavies

Back to top Go down

Post by smashingstormcrow Tue 01 Mar 2011, 6:43 pm

> The official Ring Magazine fight of the year for my year of birth was George Foreman v Ron Lyle

Me too, but I'm hardly going to put that!

smashingstormcrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Stuart Wed 02 Mar 2011, 9:31 am

I know a this may surprise a few, who believe I'm only in my mid twenties but The fight of the year when I was born was Patterson v Johansson 2, With famous round 5 KO leg twitching.

First fight I can vaguely remember any build up as a youngster was Ali travelling to London vs Cooper, we used to listen to the fights back on the old radio then, I believe it may have Ali v Terrell or it may have been Folley, I was immediately engrossed by this figure, which many at the time wanted to see him beaten so badly.

Jimmy Stuart

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 02 Mar 2011, 9:50 am

Jimmy Stuart wrote:I know a this may surprise a few, who believe I'm only in my mid twenties

I thought it was born in the mid twenties, wasn't it Jimmy? Shocked
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 02 Mar 2011, 9:52 am

88Chris05 wrote:
Jimmy Stuart wrote:I know a this may surprise a few, who believe I'm only in my mid twenties

I thought he meant number of hip replacements...

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 02 Mar 2011, 9:55 am

I was born in 1973.

the general google searches bring up:

Arnold Taylor KO14 Romeo Anaya, November 3, 1973

as an all time great - I will be honest that I have no idea about it. Anyone know anything about it?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 02 Mar 2011, 9:57 am

Foreman knocking out Frazier was Ring Magazine's fight of the year Hobo.

But that was a bit one sided for a fight of the year IMO. Maybe the biggest event.

A quick search tells me your fight was:
Ranked #15 Greatest Title Fight of All-Time by Ring Magazine in 1996.
Ring Magazine's #1 Bantamweight Fight of the Last 80 Years (1922-2002)

But have to say I've never seen it.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Stuart Wed 02 Mar 2011, 9:59 am

Scottrf wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:

I thought he meant number of hip replacements...

Haha bunch of of cheeky sods.

Jimmy Stuart

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Mar 2011, 4:51 pm

For me it would have to be Ali/Frazier I, "The Fight of the Century" back in 1971 even though it took place a few months before I was born

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Thu 03 Mar 2011, 5:31 pm

1974...see above.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by slash912 Fri 04 Mar 2011, 2:26 pm

Duran beating Iran Barkley 1989 is FOTY for my birth year. Honeyghan losing to Starling is also another big one from that year.

My first vague memory of boxing was attempting to wait up for Holyfield - Tyson, falling asleep several hours early, then hearing the next day Tyson had bitten Holyfields ear off! I think the first fight I followed throughout the entire build up, and then stayed up for was much more recently, Hatton - Mayweather.

slash912

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Fri 04 Mar 2011, 3:14 pm

Carlos Monzon vs. Nino Benvenuti - got that from the ring list (I've never actually watched it).

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 04 Mar 2011, 4:46 pm

Ring Magazine fight of the year for 1978 was Spinks win over Ali. I'm not having that as it was a travesty that Ali was even in the ring to be beaten by Spinks, so I'll go for Holmes' victory over Ken Norton (the 15th round is almost reason enough on its own).

First fight I really remember is Bruno v Coetzee from 1986. I remember thinking that Bruno must have been invincible after that fight. How stupid 8 year old kids can be!

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by KC Tue 08 Mar 2011, 10:55 am

According to Ring Mag FOTY for 1968 was Dick Tiger W 10 Frank DePaula.

As for 1st fight Erm I don't remember the actual fight but I do remember the the post fight interview with Ali after he defeated Foreman "I told you I was champion of the world! All my critics crawl, never again say that I'll be defeated until I'm 100 years old!" - classic stuff Yahoo

As for the 1st "big" fight I actually remember watching it would probably be Hagler v Hearns - what a fight!
I do remember fights prior to this but they weren't quite on the same billing, mainly British fighters like Errol Christie, Mark Kaylor, Charlie Magri etc

KC

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 08 Mar 2011, 10:59 am

KC wrote:As for 1st fight Erm I don't remember the actual fight but I do remember the the post fight interview with Ali after he defeated Foreman "I told you I was champion of the world! All my critics crawl, never again say that I'll be defeated until I'm 100 years old!" - classic stuff Yahoo
I liked "I don't have a mark on my face, I upset Sonny Liston and I just turned 22 years old! I must be the greatest!"

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by KC Tue 08 Mar 2011, 11:04 am

Well Scottrf - without wishing to go off topic - if we're comparing Ali quotes my fave is, when told that Jimmy Ellis said he would be beat Ali, "Even if he dreams he beat me he'd better wake up & apologise!"

KC

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Tue 08 Mar 2011, 1:28 pm

Julio Cesar Chavez v Meldrick Taylor is the Ring FOTY for 1990. Haven't seen it, but JCC in a 12th round KO must've been a great fight!

As for first fight, I have some memories of Lewis in his earlier parts, Naseem as well. One that sticks out is Tyson/Holyfield II though. I can remember the ear thing splashed over every paper the next day. Last time I can remember boxing having that level of exposure as well.

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by KC Tue 08 Mar 2011, 2:07 pm

by licence_007 Today at 1:28 pm

JCC v Taylor is a great fight with a controversial ending - well worth a watch mate Ok!

KC

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Tue 08 Mar 2011, 2:50 pm

Youtube here I come tonight then!

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down