The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland - A Post-RWC Thread

+25
Glas a du
Scot Abroad
Comfort
emack2
ryan86
InjuredYetAgain
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Imperialbigdave
RuggerRadge2611
offload
funnyExiledScot
Redrage
doctornickolas
Shifty
dubh_linn
racingnut
R!skysports
21st Century Schizoid Man
Biltong
aitchw
alive555
Cowshot
A World Cup and 3 Finals
TheGreyGhost
George Carlin
29 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Scotland - A Post-RWC Thread - Page 3 Empty Scotland - A Post-RWC Thread

Post by George Carlin Sat 01 Oct 2011, 1:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

As all of the streams previously established to discuss the England v Scotland match have now firmly and unanimously descended into flood postings by Welsh fans demanding confirmation that they are now the best Northern Hemisphere side, I thought that I might set out a quiet corner for Scotland fans to speak briefly about what the ramifications of this RWC campaign are likely to be.

Topics (I will lob in by six cents worth) in light of the fact that we will almost certainly be back on a plane tomorrow:

Q1. Do we have a problem with the coaching staff?

A1. I have no problems with Robinson and Steadman. The Scottish team did not look underprepared, unfit or with the wrong tactics. They just seemed unable to execute the plan that they were given. Townsend should gently step aside and let the SRU set about looking for a proper backs coach. The Scottish rugby press should make sure that this happens.

Q2. How will we come to regard this generation of Scottish players?

A2. A combination of unlucky, unsufficiently skilled and unable to keep a cool head when difficult decisions needed to be made.

It has been very difficult, to my mind, to reconcile the exceptional talents of a number of key players in the team (particularly Nathan Hines (Lion, Heineken Cup and Top 14 winner), Kelly Brown (Jeff winner), Chris Cusiter (Lion and Top 14 winner) for example) with the overall mediocrity that we can validly be accused of in our regular team performances. Games at the highest levels are decided on the finest of margins and we have fallen on the wrong side of this too often to avoid proper investigation.

In the professional era, is it true to say that a team is only as good as it's weakest link? Or is it possible to improve as a national side and challenge the best in the world where each aspect of your play is at the very least comparable to your peers but there are one or two truly quality individuals to lift the important aspects of the game when needed?

Is this a blip? Will this come to be regarded as the 'beige' or 'vanilla' generation of Scotland backs? Or the first step on a trudge downhill in terms of a basic backline skillset?

Q3. What changes are necessary to the Scottish game to stop the rot or is a decline inevitable?

A3. Lots has been written and said recently by the new SRU chief executive about how the grassroots must accommodation the needs of the national team and to give full throated support to any restructuring. Practically, will this World Cup failure be able to give the blazered McBumferties in Edinburgh the motivation that they need to make the root and branch change necessary (on the wild assumption that they can correctly identify what that is)?

Q4. What is the immediate future (the next 3 years) likely to hold?

A4. It's always difficult to tell with the new generation of players. A team including a firing Weir, Visser, Jones, Bennett, Gray and Max Evans fills me with hope and there were a few boys becoming men in our pack in the junior world cup this year.

I think that club administration has to improve and stands every chance (or a much better chance) with the new SRU at the helm. The key will be whether to start courting local business and letting wealthy individuals invest and take control of the clubs' staffing and recruiting needs.

Hopefully things will not dip lower before those in charge see that the ship has now sunk below the water line.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Scotland - A Post-RWC Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland - A Post-RWC Thread

Post by George Carlin Thu 06 Oct 2011, 12:40 pm

Totally agree - but why not bring them both on?

I think that Ramont has improved considerably whilst at Toulon.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 06 Oct 2011, 2:38 pm

I've seen nothing of Ramont to note any considerable improvement. Due to injuries I'd say he's pretty much been treading water for a number of years.

When fit he's an excellent strike runner, but I don't recall him playing two consecutive games for Scotland at full back.

If Bennett can genuinely play 12, then I'm excited. Obviously the next step for him is to get fit and play some professional rugby. Then we can really talk about him being a Scotland prospect.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu 06 Oct 2011, 8:28 pm

fES,

Stuart Hogg is rapidly turning into a real classy FB from what I have observed at the Warriors. I just stuck on a bit re Hogg (and Tom Ryder) on the Warriors' club post for tomorrow's game at Firhill.

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Thu 06 Oct 2011, 8:42 pm

Scotland need a David Moffat type figure to come in and make the drastic changes necessary. The SRU needs to be blown apart frankly. it's too old fashioned and too stuck in it's victorian ways. There needs to be proper marketing of the game in Scotland and a drive to get youngsters playing it.

In the short term I don't think Scotland are that far away. They make good breaks and can compete physically with any side in the world. It's just the support and completion that is lacking. They made break after break against Argentina and could have scored two or three tries but for some reason the mentality to follow up quickly just doesn't appear to be there.

I think Townsend is being made a scapegoat actually because he has got them running some good moves and breaking lines but the runner (Lamont, Evans) is always isolated and then the forwards are surprised to see the ball disappear back over their heads.

Scottish rugby is in a similar state to Welsh rugby pre Graham Henry. Poor performance on the field and worse off it. It will take a massive conserted effort from the SRU with help from the government, probably to pull rugby out of its decline. Perhaps if we all right to Salmond he might consider chucking some funding the way of the SRU...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 07 Oct 2011, 8:13 am

mckay, why a David Moffat type figure? We've just had a load of personnel changes at the SRU (new Chief Exec, new Chairman, etc.) and some structural changes to how club level competition is organised, the creation of a full-time 7s squad, greater independence granted to the pro district teams, etc. - are you advocating for undoing this recent work?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 07 Oct 2011, 8:15 pm

Not necessarily but I think there are things that need to be done which the current set up apparently aren't prepared to do. Promotion of the game for example. What is being done to improve player numbers?

When I mentioned David Moffatt I just mean someone who isn't afraid of the union. Someone who can do things which may not be popular but will improve rugby in the long run.

mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3