The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stuart Pearce rules himself out of the England job.

3 posters

Go down

Stuart Pearce rules himself out of the England job. Empty Stuart Pearce rules himself out of the England job.

Post by Crimey Thu 29 Sep 2011, 6:58 am

Stuart Pearce has ruled himself out of the race to succeed Fabio Capello as England manager. England Under-21 boss Pearce, 49, who has been part of Capello's staff with the senior team for four years, said: "At this stage, I don't have the experience for the job. I believe it's maybe a job for an older man who has got more experience."

Capello's contract expires at the end of the 2012 European Championships in Poland and Ukraine. Former England left-back Pearce, who is set to be appointed manager of the Great Britain men's football team at next summer's Olympics, told talkSPORT: "At this moment in time, I have managed Manchester City, had a brief spell at Nottingham Forest, and the under-21s. If you amass all the games there, it is less than 200 matches. For me, there is not enough experience there. I am enjoying what I am doing and whoever the next man is through the door when Fabio leaves, I will obviously give him as much support as he needs from me, or I can give him, to help him do his job to the best of his ability."

Pearce has led the under-21s side to the European Championships on three occasions, reaching the semi-final in 2007 and the final two years later. Although they struggled at this summer's finals in Denmark, failing to get past the group stage, Pearce signed a new two-year contract in July.

The Football Association have eased back from their previous insistence that Capello's successor would be English, although in some quarters there is still a clamour for that to be the case. Pearce added: "I can quite understand one or two people's sentiment that possibly I should be pitching in for an opportunity to do this job. I just feel as though it's not the right time at the moment. As I see, very, very often, people get elevated very quickly and written off very quickly. For me, it's not the right time to put my name in the hat. I'm gaining experience and I'll be a better candidate in a few years time, I hope."

source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15099293.stm

I am a bit dissapointed by this, although I don't think Stuart Pearce is the best manager in the world, his connection to the players after they have gone through the ranks at the U21 stage where he has been largely successful bar the most recent one means he might be able to get the players playing better than somebody new coming into the England set-up.

Saying that, I can understand why he has pulled himself out of the running, he's only young and has years and years ahead of him to get more experience before has has to tackle the England job.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Stuart Pearce rules himself out of the England job. Empty Re: Stuart Pearce rules himself out of the England job.

Post by Guest Fri 30 Sep 2011, 3:07 pm

i think he could have done a decent job to be honest, and better than mclaren and capello.

Back to top Go down

Stuart Pearce rules himself out of the England job. Empty Re: Stuart Pearce rules himself out of the England job.

Post by ncfc_Tooze Fri 30 Sep 2011, 3:09 pm

I always thought the top job was what they were always building him upto

ncfc_Tooze
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 30 Sep 2011, 3:10 pm

He's a good coach but not sure he can handle such ridiculous ego's that are in the current dressing room.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down