The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harry Greb

+6
Rowley
HumanWindmill
AlexHuckerby
The Galveston Giant
BALTIMORA
superflyweight
10 posters

Go down

Harry Greb Empty Harry Greb

Post by superflyweight Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:47 am

This is an extension of an article I wrote on 606 last year entitled "The Perfect Year". In that article I put forward the argument that when looking at what fighters had completed the best calendar 12 months in boxing history, two fighters stood head and shoulders above the rest, Greb in 1922 and Henry Armstrong in 1938. I've posted the original article (with some corrections and additions) below:

I finished reading "The Fearless Harry Greb" a few weeks ago and one of the things that jumped out at me when looking at Greb's record was his run of fights in 1922.

He fought 12 times winning all of his fights but what really struck me was the standard of opposition faced in such a short space of time. He fought and beat top ten ATG light heavyweight and future heavyweight champion, Gene Tunney (taking his American light heavyweight title) as well as beating another top ten ATG light heavyweight in Tommy Loughran. Added to that he also beat Tommy Gibbons who, the following year would take Dempsey 15 rounds and Greb then beat another light heavy contender in Chuck Wiggins. Filling out his record for that year he also beat limited but genuine heavyweights in Hugh Walker (x2), Al Roberts and Al Benedict and notched up victories against perhaps the dirtiest fighter of all time, Captain Bob Roper (x2) and beat a decent middleweight contender in Jeff Smith. With the exception of the Benedict fight (in which Greb gave away almost 40lbs to to the 210lb, Benedict) Greb managed this while weighing no more than 170lbs. The only real hint of fodder was Larry Williams who was a fairly poor light heavyweight.

After reading this I started to think whether any other fighters could come even close to matching that year. Greb beat three fighters of genuine quality in Tunney, Loughran and Gibbons and he gave up physical advantages to those fighters which didn't quite match up to that quality and he took on and beat a real wildcard opponent in Roper (whom, by all accounts, was a headbutting lunatic).

My first thought was Henry Armstrong and his golden year of 1938.

Homicide Hank managed 14 wins out of 14 fights in '38 - all while he was still reigning featherweight champion. The obvious highlights are the victories against fellow ATGs Barney Ross (to take the welterweight title) and Lou Ambers (for the lightweight belt). Other notable achievements are wins against Enrico Venturi, Baby Arizmendi, Ceferino Garcia, Al Citrino and Al Manfredo. There were clearly some "fodder" on Hank's resume for that year but the frequency of fights and the weight range of his opponents is impressive.

Given the fact that he claimed two world titles at different weights and did so while holding a third title, I would give the edge to Armstrong over Greb.

It's to a point that was made by Jimmy Stuart in a comment on that article that I now turn. Jimmy put forward a suggestion that Greb was arguably one of the most dominant sportsman of the 20th century on the basis that Greb fought more than 100 times between 1919 and the end of 1922 and only lost once, to Tommy Gibbons. As noted in my article above, he avenged that loss to Gibbons knocking the larger man from pillar to post over 15 brutal rounds.

In that period between 1919 and the end of 1922 he beat (amongst others):

Jack Dillon,Mike McTigue,Soldier Bartfield,Gunboat Smith,Battling Levinksy,Billy Miske,Bill Brennan,Willie Meehan,Gene Tunney,Tommy Gibbons,Jeff Smith,Kid Norfolk,Jack Renault,Mike McTigue,Tommy Loughran,Billy Shade.

For the purposes of this article, I'll ignore other sports and stick to boxing. My question is - has there been a better run in boxing or does anyone else even come close? Some possible rivals:

Armstrong's 1938 was probably the greatest year in boxing but did his run of victories through 1937 and 1938 and through to his defeat by Ambers in 1939 eclipse Greb's achievement?

Perhaps Robinson's run until his defeat to Turpin takes it? He can boast victories over names to rival those on Greb's record - Zivic, La Motta, Armstrong, Kid Gavilan etc.

Perhaps not as prolific as the others but the names in Manny's win column since his defeat to Morales in 2005 makes him stand out amongst possible contenders from the last 20 years or so.

Is there enough quality opposition on JCC's record until his first defeat to De La Hoya in '96 to go with the impressive numbers?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Harry Greb Empty Re: Harry Greb

Post by BALTIMORA Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:13 am

Not bad for a made-up fighter.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:14 am

Indeed, Roy of the Rovers stuff.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:32 am

It's a shame we can't see such a legend fight on film. His record is immense.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:34 am

I'm afraid Windy may end up getting to excited and croak on us if that happened, don't think it should be risked.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:37 am

Somewhere, over the rainbow,
Way up high.............................

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:13 am

If we are just talking one year of action Jimmy Bivins 1943 was pretty impressive. Won nine out of nine including wins over Ezzard Charles, Christoforidis, Lloyd Marshall and Lee Q Murray all very decent names in a very strong era for the light heavy weight division.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by tcribb Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:58 am

It's to a point that was made by Jimmy Stuart in a comment on that article that I now turn. Jimmy put forward a suggestion that Greb was arguably one of the most dominant sportsman of the 20th century on the basis that Greb fought more than 100 times between 1919 and the end of 1922 and only lost once, to Tommy Gibbons. As noted in my article above, he avenged that loss to Gibbons knocking the larger man from pillar to post over 15 brutal rounds.

In that period between 1919 and the end of 1922 he beat (amongst others):

Jack Dillon,Mike McTigue,Soldier Bartfield,Gunboat Smith,Battling Levinksy,Billy Miske,Bill Brennan,Willie Meehan,Gene Tunney,Tommy Gibbons,Jeff Smith,Kid Norfolk,Jack Renault,Mike McTigue,Tommy Loughran,Billy Shade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terrific article Superfly thanks.

On the paragraph I copied and pasted I just to highlight that Jimmy Stuart may have a point on Greb being the most dominant sportsman, that's unbelievable never realized the stats, it doesn't get much better, McTigue, Tunney, Loughran WOW !

Greb I salute you, thanks for the article enjoyed it and like I said never realized Greb beat these men in such a short space of time.
tcribb
tcribb

Back to top Go down

Post by skidd1 Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:13 am

Huge Greb Fan but a totally dominant year sports wise would be Eddie Merckx 1969.
Different sport but lots of similarites
Merckx record beats the resume or palmares(in cycling speak) of Greb for me
Greatest cyclist of all time and the greatest sportsmen

skidd1

Back to top Go down

Post by GerardMcL Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:14 am

Just reading this book at the minute.
I was always aware of Greb but sweet jesus what a career.

1919 - 49 fights in the one calendar is simply immense
1923 was a cracking year after finally getting his shot at MW title, losing to Tunney on a highly suspicious home town decision whilst having to deal with the fatal illness of his wife and the fact he couldn't see out of his right eye.

As you rightly pointed out, its not simply the number of fights its the quality of the majority of his opponents and the physical advantages he was giving away to nearly all of them.

GerardMcL

Back to top Go down

Post by GerardMcL Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:15 am

sorry 45 bouts

GerardMcL

Back to top Go down

Post by BearHug Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:16 am

Brilliant article, Im new to these boxing forums and have to bow to this level of knowledge.

Shamefully I dont know too much about the early years of boxing but will be sure to pick this book up.

BearHug

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down