The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jo Wilfred-Tsonga

+9
hawkeye
Danny_1982
laverfan
ShankyCricket
time please
socal1976
Josiah Maiestas
noleisthebest
Liam_Main
13 posters

Go down

Jo Wilfred-Tsonga Empty Jo Wilfred-Tsonga

Post by Liam_Main Fri 23 Sep 2011, 7:08 pm

I've noticed a vast improvement of him over the last year. Looks physically better and all-round better. Do any of you see Jo-Wilfred winning a Grand Slam next year? Sadly folks I see Jo become likelier to win a Grand Slam then Andy.

What's your thoughts on him on for the next season?
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Jo Wilfred-Tsonga Empty Re: Jo Wilfred-Tsonga

Post by noleisthebest Fri 23 Sep 2011, 7:15 pm

They have about the same chance of winning a slam.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Fri 23 Sep 2011, 7:22 pm

I think Wilfred's improved more in the last 12 months and has shown better mentally in Grand Slams.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Sep 2011, 7:22 pm

Jo can be a beast when he's fit and on form. However he still appears to be streaky.

I thought his streakiness was due to injury and an inability to string together a long period of fitness, however, judging by the way he completely unravelled against Fed at the USO, I think he may just be a streaky player.

If he is on form I consider him to be a more dangerous opponent than Murray. I hope he can maintain some consistency because, along with Delpo, he's the only player imo who can challenge the top four at slam level.

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 23 Sep 2011, 7:35 pm

noleisthebest wrote:They have about the same chance of winning a slam.
Hey, you are doing Tsonga no good hyping the little cub up like this. He does not have a 99% chance of winning a slam(s) like the powerful, mental giant of Dunblane.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Sep 2011, 8:17 pm

I agree with emancipator, he just seems far too inconsistent, same as other players on the tour.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 23 Sep 2011, 8:49 pm

Can't see Tsonga winning a slam before Murray. If I had to guess murray has a 60 percent chance of winning a slam at some point Tsonga 10 percent chance. Jo has been to one slam final and Andy to 3 and he is younger. Andy is almost always in the quarters and semis of the slams with rare exception and Jo has a good run here or there. A great talent no doubt and fun to watch but not really in Andy's league.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat 24 Sep 2011, 10:23 am

I love watching Tsonga, and he is a real danger and fun to watch when on form, but he is just horribly inconsistent.

Also think he could do with getting a little fitter - I know he has a powerful build naturally, but I think a few pounds shed wouldn't hurt at all.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sat 24 Sep 2011, 10:27 am

Its gonna be Rafa-Djoko show for the next few years.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sat 24 Sep 2011, 10:47 am

I think Tsonga has shown that bit more consistency though in the last year though. I agree that he needs to keep up performances rather than fade away after a few matches.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:27 pm

Staying healthy may help him produce consistent results. He has improved shots including some new SHBH shots. thumbsup

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:47 pm

I wouldn't say he has more chance than Murray. He has had a good year, but i'm not sure he can consistently reach the latter stages like Murray can.

The great thing about that Federer match at SW19 was how he stayed so calm and mentally strong when 2 sets down as was able to produce his best to come back. I don't think Murray could do that if i'm honest.

I see where the OP is coming from, because its been a while since Murray brought his best to one of those big matches against the players above him. But I think Murray is the better player. He has beaten the top players more often, gets to the latter stages of slams consistently and has more titles so I'd say he is considerably more likely.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:53 pm

He has had a good year, but i'm not sure he can consistently reach the latter stages like Murray can.
He gets harder draws though.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 24 Sep 2011, 2:08 pm

time please wrote:I love watching Tsonga, and he is a real danger and fun to watch when on form, but he is just horribly inconsistent.

Also think he could do with getting a little fitter - I know he has a powerful build naturally, but I think a few pounds shed wouldn't hurt at all.

I've always thought the same. Just checked figures on ATP website and calculated his BMI index. Underweight is <18.5. Normal 18.5 - 24.9. Overweight is 25-29.5. Tsonga at 6' 2" (188cm) and 200lbs (91kg) has a BMI of 25.7. Overweight. I also think he looks a bit heavier lately so wonder how acurate those figures are.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sat 24 Sep 2011, 2:43 pm

A lot of athletes have a high BMI due to higher than average muscle mass though. I haven't studied him lately, has he got flab or is it all muscle??

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 24 Sep 2011, 4:35 pm

hawkeye wrote:
time please wrote:I love watching Tsonga, and he is a real danger and fun to watch when on form, but he is just horribly inconsistent.

I've always thought the same. Just checked figures on ATP website and calculated his BMI index. Underweight is <18.5. Normal 18.5 - 24.9. Overweight is 25-29.5. Tsonga at 6' 2" (188cm) and 200lbs (91kg) has a BMI of 25.7. Overweight. I also think he looks a bit heavier lately so wonder how acurate those figures are.

The numbers on the ATP website should be taken with a grain of salt. They are not regularly updated. Based on his court speed and net play, he seems fairly quick.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sat 24 Sep 2011, 4:43 pm

BMI isn't the best measure of health or fitness anyway as it doesn't take into account muscle mass. Percentage fat is a much better measure.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sat 24 Sep 2011, 4:45 pm

I was thinking after his match with federer at wimbledon its probably going to be another 3 years before he plays this well again I mean the time before that was against Nadal at the Australian open in 2008.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 24 Sep 2011, 5:35 pm

laverfan wrote:
hawkeye wrote:

The numbers on the ATP website should be taken with a grain of salt. They are not regularly updated. Based on his court speed and net play, he seems fairly quick.

Do you think he is lighter than 91kg? I thought maybe he was heavier.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 24 Sep 2011, 5:44 pm

Hard to judge based on television pictures. He does look 'lighter' compared to his pre-injury days.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 24 Sep 2011, 6:09 pm

laverfan. It is hard to judge. Tried to find similar photos from 2008 and 2011

Tsonga 2008

http://www.contactmusic.com/photo/jo-wilfried_tsonga_2051963

Tsonga 2011

http://www2.tennisserver.com/images/photofeed/2011/us_open/110908/Federer_Tsonga/Federer_Tsonga-1.jpg

I think he looks chunkier in 2011. What do you think?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by droogle Sat 24 Sep 2011, 7:52 pm

He's lean these days. His build is really unusual, massive rib cage, barrel chest type of thing.

droogle

Back to top Go down

Post by droogle Sat 24 Sep 2011, 8:01 pm

I think he's in with a chance to win a GS.

OK, so Soderling, Berdych and Tsonga have all beaten Federer in grand slams and have all in those moments looked very dangerous. Does Tsonga have anything those two don't (since not many people would offer their names as likely winners)? To me he looks much more talented, much more fluid with equally powerful groundstrokes, and with a better serve.

People keep reiterating that a GS is Murray's to win if he can sort out the mental aspect of his game. I would be more inclined to say that that statement applies to Tsonga as the ease of his game, when it's on, shows he has enormous talent.

droogle

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 24 Sep 2011, 11:38 pm

droogle wrote:I think he's in with a chance to win a GS.

OK, so Soderling, Berdych and Tsonga have all beaten Federer in grand slams and have all in those moments looked very dangerous. Does Tsonga have anything those two don't (since not many people would offer their names as likely winners)? To me he looks much more talented, much more fluid with equally powerful groundstrokes, and with a better serve.

Soderling has a lone win@FO, but not much else, some close matches though.

Berdych had no wins between 2005-2010 till the W QF.

Tsonga on a good day is dangerous to anyone, he still has a 5-4 h2h (prior to Djokovic 2.0 circa 2011).

droogle wrote:People keep reiterating that a GS is Murray's to win if he can sort out the mental aspect of his game. I would be more inclined to say that that statement applies to Tsonga as the ease of his game, when it's on, shows he has enormous talent.

Gasquet also has enormous talent, but Tsonga is perhaps a much harder worker than Gasquet. Wink. Also, he lacks a coach, and despite that has played really well in 2011.

Some amazing net play here that he is capable of. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO6lalt5f6M

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sun 25 Sep 2011, 5:44 pm

I don't trust Tsonga to win the really vital games sometimes. Today, even though he eventually won, to lose the second set from 4-1 isn't great. Saying that, he's seems a genuinely good guy, and someone I want to do well, and it would be nice to see him win one.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 25 Sep 2011, 5:46 pm

Only thing Tsonga is missing for me is his questionable body weight, if he loses a few lbs then he has everything in his repertoir to win 2 or 3 majors.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down