The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Living Up to Your Expectations?

+5
perand25
bedfordwelsh
rodders
Shifty
Bristolian
9 posters

Go down

Living Up to Your Expectations? Empty Living Up to Your Expectations?

Post by Bristolian Mon 19 Sep 2011, 6:50 pm

So after the first couple of rounds I was just wondering what everybody is making of the World Cup so far?

I've been pleased with the performances and marked improvement by the minnows (Canada and Georgia in particular have impressed me) and there have been only a few really bad scorelines. We've had a great result (Ireland beating the Aussies) to maybe change the dynamic of the tournament, and passionate crowds.

Only downside really is that the quality of the rugby isn't all that great, with a few exceptions, but then is it ever at a World Cup? 1999 anyone?

Bristolian

Back to top Go down

Living Up to Your Expectations? Empty Re: Living Up to Your Expectations?

Post by Shifty Mon 19 Sep 2011, 6:56 pm

It's good that weaker teams aren't getting stuffed out of sight, however I was sad to see Japan get such a beating against New Zealand.
Though considering they often run up 100 points against weaker teams they actually got off lightly.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 19 Sep 2011, 6:59 pm

I think its been fantastic so far.There's been very few one side matches and the quality of the rugby that the minnows have produced has been superb at times.

For me this WC has already been far better than the last 3.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristolian Mon 19 Sep 2011, 7:10 pm

AlynDavies wrote:It's good that weaker teams aren't getting stuffed out of sight, however I was sad to see Japan get such a beating against New Zealand.
Though considering they often run up 100 points against weaker teams they actually got off lightly.

Yep, that's the one I was thinking of. There is a bit of a White Elephant in the room with Japanese rugby, but what can you do? They seem like the prime candidate for growing the game, with the appetite, not to mention money, there is over there, but they're never going to be on a level playing field so to speak.

Bristolian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 19 Sep 2011, 8:57 pm

A lot of these games in the past would have been badly one sided but the games on the whole have been very good for 60 miuntes ish.

Whether its a case of the gap closing or the so called bigger teams being over confident who knows.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon 19 Sep 2011, 9:02 pm

Saying that the week to week games do wear down the smaller nations, they can get themselves up for 1 or 2 games, but there are 4 games to play, so lets hope they can raise their standards all the way through.

I don't think the tier 1 countries are quite as ruthless as they were a few years ago now though, teams tend to do just enough to win these days, and switch off once that's accomplished.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 19 Sep 2011, 9:04 pm

I think it is a big ask of some of the smaller teams to back up games four days apart etc given their resources.

A lot of the tier 1 sides would struggle to with depth and injuries.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by perand25 Mon 19 Sep 2011, 9:32 pm

I would love one of the minnows to beat a tier one side but it just wont happen ,i dont consider the Ireland result against Aus to be an upset as Ireland are a top side and apart from Tindallgate there has been no interest in the uk unless your a rugby fan (probably due to the kick off times) I have been looking forward to the WC for months and now its here i feel strangly detached from it .I did get up at 4 to watch Wales v Samoa though

perand25

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 19 Sep 2011, 10:08 pm

So far I am really enjoying the tournament, great to see the teams we dont often watch play and some are doing well too.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon 19 Sep 2011, 10:11 pm

Considering that New Zealand has had the added problem of a earthquake to deal with they have done really well.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 19 Sep 2011, 11:11 pm

The RWC would have to be a great disaster for me to not like it. It is a great event. And this seems to be going well. A lot of people are captivated by it, and by New Zealand doing a great job as hosts. Only complaint is the match times.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Mon 19 Sep 2011, 11:52 pm

Although I don`t like tactics used pre tournament,or targetting matches to win it makes sense for those with lesser expectations than a RWC win.
The Rugby has been either very good,dire,or so so depending on the matches but I have enjoyed them all.Only missed a couple,matches have gone pretty much to script,except Ireland,
Honourable losses by Argentina and Wales,what is apparant now the second tier sides are no longer cricket scores for the big boys.
Indeed but for the added pressure heaped on them by the IRB with the match turnaround scandal they may have been even better.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:01 am

What About Players -

Who has lived up to expectations or even exceeded them from your side:

For me Faletau and Lydiate have proved they got what it takes and is no surprise to all of us from Dave. North has proved he's capable of playing at the top level.

Exceeded expectations - Well for me is has to be Bennett, I really did fear the worst for us with him going in as No1 Hooker but fair play to him he has played and carried very well.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:47 am

perand25 wrote: there has been no interest in the uk unless your a rugby fan (probably due to the kick off times) I have been looking forward to the WC for months and now its here i feel strangly detached from it .I did get up at 4 to watch Wales v Samoa though

I feel the same, the Welsh people do like to enjoy their rugby, but most wont get up at silly o clock in the morning to see it, they want to be out with their friends in a pub or in Cardiff and it has made the World Cup difficult to enjoy for us.

Generally I am going on the BBC website to get the scores and then watch the game on ITV player, it's not as much fun as watching it live, though it is less stressful.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 20 Sep 2011, 10:14 am

I have watched pretty much every game much to Mrs Bedfords disgust. I got up early on Sunday and am tempted to get up early for the Samoa Fiji game just for the car crash value of it.

I know a few mates back home who have been having breakfast parties round each others houses on the weekends and cracking open the beers at 0430 in the morning Smile
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 20 Sep 2011, 10:36 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:What About Players -

Who has lived up to expectations or even exceeded them from your side:

Sean O'Brien has lived up to his reputation. European player of the year and playing like it too. POC too is showing the form that has made him one of the best forwards of his generation.

Stephen Ferris has exceeded my expectations. I couldn't have imagined a few weaks ago when his career was in doubt that he'd come back an make such a huge impact so quickly. To a lesser extent Rob Kearney has been great for a guy who hasn't played all season.

Healy, Best and Ross have all exceeded my expectations big time and are playing the best rugby of their careers.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down