The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the best natural asset a Boxer can have??

+19
Fists of Fury
Mind the windows Tino.
oneorthree
Steffan
Seanusarrilius
Imperial Ghosty
ONETWOFOREVER
Michaels, Sean
coxy0001
kevchadders
BALTIMORA
bhb001
School Project
Rowley
sodhat
captain carrantuohil
eddyfightfan
Scottrf
TRUSSMAN66
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What is the best natural asset a Boxer can have?? Empty What is the best natural asset a Boxer can have??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:59 am

Speed - If you're quicker chances are you'll get off first....

Power - You'll only need to land once as opposed to maybe a speedster who has to wear his opponent down! Always in any fight.

Durability - Sure without the other two you are limited but people lose speed the longer the fight gets and power punchers get arm weary leaving you there maybe to take over in the later rounds..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

What is the best natural asset a Boxer can have?? Empty Re: What is the best natural asset a Boxer can have??

Post by Scottrf Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:59 am

Speed or chin.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

What is the best natural asset a Boxer can have?? Empty Re: What is the best natural asset a Boxer can have??

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 14 Sep 2011, 11:00 am

a good chin, if you cant take a shot you can be as good as you like, but you'll get caught eventually.

Last edited by eddyfightfan on Wed 14 Sep 2011, 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 11:00 am

Thanks for the considered opinion..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 14 Sep 2011, 11:01 am

Heart - all day, every day. You can be taught to improve your power, do exercises so that your speed will get better, can do the hard yards on the road to lessen the chances that you might gas.

Without intestinal fortitude, none of this matters.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 11:02 am

I used to think nothing beats speed but considering the guys who are at the top of the tree Khan not withstanding starting to change my mind.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 14 Sep 2011, 11:03 am

You obviously need a level of all three to be able to compete with the best; but of the three if I could pick one, it would be speed.

The ability to evade shots and get flurries in would win rounds and ultimately fights. Power is useful but not if you're in there against someone who has good movement or durability...

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 11:04 am

Heart you won't get anywhere without it good point...

But I think speed, power and chin are natural gifts and something you have or you don't..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 14 Sep 2011, 11:07 am

It's the only thing that can't be instilled by a trainer, Truss. Of the three you mention, assuming that durability is a combination of stamina and a good chin, then I would pick that as the most necessary. We've seen great champions who were about as mobile as a supertanker, and great champions who couldn't knock the skin off a rice pudding, but I can't think of one great fighter who lacked durability to any noticeable extent.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 14 Sep 2011, 11:08 am

Personally would go for self discipline or dedication, whatever you want to call it. All the talent in the world is academic if you do not have the discipline to put the graft in, only have to look at a guy like Kirkland Laing for this who most reports claim could have acheived anything he wanted in the game but for a lack of discipline

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 11:09 am

Tommy Hearns maybe???? supppose he had stamina though....

Watching a young Camacho could make anybody think speed was the most crucial..

devastatingly quick against Limon.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 11:12 am

One could say that Hatton achieved great status without being the most disciplined as did Dempsey, John L and Johnson....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 14 Sep 2011, 11:14 am

All Tommy lacked to be a top three all-time great, in my opinion, Truss, was intelligence. If he had allied ring smarts to his natural talent, he would never have lost in his salad days. He could crack under heavy bombardment, but it would be unfair to describe him as chinny, while he was durable enough to be winning titles by decision well into his 30s.

Like Jeff's point about self-discipline as well.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 14 Sep 2011, 11:17 am

Hatton is a tricky one Truss because obviously hard to argue his lifestyle was great, however would say when he did go into camp apparently he really grafted. Think you could also argue that in an era when fighters regularly fight into their late 30s Hatton was pretty much finished by 30. Would not be too tricky to argue his lifestyle contributed to this

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 11:18 am

You not think like Khan...his durability came with a move up in weight...A chance to put some meat on that frame and muscle in the legs!!!

Tommy reminds me of Holyfield.....gets excited and wants to trade....

Should never have lost the Barkley fight..You're right wasn't the smartest slice in the loaf!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 14 Sep 2011, 11:20 am

Probably at his best at 147 or 154, though. Holyfield, who had nothing like Hearns' sublime gifts, almost had to fight that way to obtain the best results. Hearns had the ability to win a fight in a number of different ways, but too often, chose the wrong one.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 11:21 am

Think some fighters shine for longer than others too Rowley...

There is much more mileage in a Mayweather/Whittaker style than an easy to hit guy like Ricky!!!

Whilst there is validity to your argument..one can look at his style and see that it wasn't one to last forever..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 11:22 am

You think he was at his best at 147/154 because those guys like Medal, Baez, Cuevas couldn't take his shot as good???

Or because he was just naturally better at those weights...

what he gained in durability he lost in power??? perhaps...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Wed 14 Sep 2011, 11:55 am

How about the ability to adapt?

We've seen Calzaghe adapt in fights and remain undefeated. We've seen Hopkins change from a stalker into a counter puncher over time. Leonard change up his style depending on his opponent. Mayweather in his fights, the moment a blueprint to beat him is set, he adaptable and never makes the same mistakes.

All of the above have adapted to change either throughout there careers or during their fights to be very successful. No doubt it has helped the longevity.

We've seen the likes of Hatton, Tyson and Pavlik use the same styles that made them successful7ultimately finish them too.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 12:11 pm

Didn't Marciano say it was good legs

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 12:39 pm

Apparently his Wife had them.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:27 pm

Good question. I don't think there's any one clear winner though, for pretty much the reasons already stated.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:33 pm

We've seen the likes of Hatton, Tyson and Pavlik use the same styles that made them successful7ultimately finish them too.

Didn't realise that drinking heavily had contributed to their success

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:35 pm

Doesn't work for everybody though obviously!!! Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kevchadders Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:37 pm

Has to be heart.

You can have all the physical attributes but if you dont have the heart to get youy through when things get tough, you'll lose everytime.

Auldley is a classica example fo this.

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:39 pm

You don't think most Boxers have it already??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:47 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You don't think most Boxers have it already??

Heart? There's a distinction though between 'enough heart to enter the ring in the first place' and 'enough heart to pick yourself up off the floor for a third time, spit the blood from your mouth and hope your broken jaw and dislocated shoulder hold up for the last four rounds'.

However, I think that even the gutsiest fighter in the world won't have enough to overcome a sufficiently better opponent.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:49 pm

Speed can encompass a few things......Speed of thought, speed of hand, speed of foot etc..

I'll take speed anyday..I think.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:50 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'll take speed anyday..I think.
Explains some of your posts.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:51 pm

Hit and run...one line per usual..

very good.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:52 pm

Depends if you include the quote.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:53 pm

For me: A boxing brain

Every sport i've played has been about decision making, dealing with adversity without losing your logical thought process, not choking, not feezing, executing a strategy etc etc

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:54 pm

Go to the boxing menu and scroll up..you'll see the non-Boxing chat thread!!

It was made for people like you..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:55 pm

I've always thought Rachel Cordingley was Froch's best natural asset.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:55 pm

A boxing brain isn’t natural. It’s developed through the teaching of technique, experience etc.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:58 pm

The best natural asset for a boxer is heart.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:59 pm

No you can have a natural Boxing brain....Like being good at Chemistry, Biology etc somethings do come naturally......

Public schools have a lot to answer for!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:59 pm

Scottrf wrote:A boxing brain isn’t natural. It’s developed through the teaching of technique, experience etc.

very good sir. Although surely increased speed and power etc is devloped through teaching?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:59 pm

Scottrf wrote:A boxing brain isn’t natural. It’s developed through the teaching of technique, experience etc.

No

I'm comparing it to my own personal experiences.

No-one could teach me how to manage my way round a golf course, when to back off, take shots on. More importantly no-one could have ever taught me how to control emotions, how to block everything else out, how not to bottle it, how to cope with adversity.

The same applies here, you're either mentally strong and intelligent or you're not, you don't get taught it. You can do things 100,000 times over but when push comes to shove it's all dependant on your mental strength and how you handle things from above the neck line rather than below.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:00 pm

Which boxers have become champions without trainers or experience then?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:00 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Public schools have a lot to answer for!

Me for starters Truss Cool
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:01 pm

Michaels, Sean wrote:

very good sir. Although surely increased speed and power etc is devloped through teaching?
Barely. The best punchers aren't always the biggest guys.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:02 pm

Every boxer has a trainer so that comment is irrelevant....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:03 pm

coxy0001 wrote:No-one could teach me how to manage my way round a golf course, when to back off, take shots on. More importantly no-one could have ever taught me how to control emotions, how to block everything else out, how not to bottle it, how to cope with adversity.
I'd think they are a lot of people making a living doing just that that would disagree.

You think pro golfers pay caddies all that money to carry their clubs?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:03 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Every boxer has a trainer so that comment is irrelevant....
Precisely, because you aren't born with a boxing brain.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:04 pm

coxy0001 wrote:

No

I'm comparing it to my own personal experiences.

No-one could teach me how to manage my way round a golf course, when to back off, take shots on. More importantly no-one could have ever taught me how to control emotions, how to block everything else out, how not to bottle it, how to cope with adversity.

The same applies here, you're either mentally strong and intelligent or you're not, you don't get taught it. You can do things 100,000 times over but when push comes to shove it's all dependant on your mental strength and how you handle things from above the neck line rather than below.

What about Benitez, Champ at an early age and known for his ring smarts even at 16, 17 years of age.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:05 pm

Think Joe Calzaghe proves that a boxing brain is fairly natural.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:07 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Think Joe Calzaghe proves that a boxing brain is fairly natural.
How? He boxed from a young age and traded on speed not really ring intelligence.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:08 pm

Think Joe Calzaghe proves that a boxing brain is fairly natural.

Maybe a buisness boxing brain but it would have been interesting to see how his slap and tickle tactics would have worked against a prime ruthless Roy Jones jnr instead of the Branco Sabots of this world.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:09 pm

So every boxer with the right trainer can become great............ok

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next