The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who can stop Khan becoming p4p no 1???

+21
bhb001
JDandfries
Michaels, Sean
coxy0001
Fists of Fury
captain carrantuohil
Imperial Ghosty
eddyfightfan
GeoffSnapes
bellchees
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
ONETWOFOREVER
Joshsmith
Bob
oxring
TopHat24/7
88Chris05
School Project
two_tone
Scottrf
TRUSSMAN66
25 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Who can stop Khan becoming p4p no 1??? Empty Who can stop Khan becoming p4p no 1???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 4:47 pm

Timing is everything in life and this kid has timed his career perfectly....

Huge at his weight with good skills, great jab and an already quality record and young to boot!! Not just that he's hugely marketable and tends to excite!!!

By the time Mayweather calls if he does...he'll be an old man facing Khan in his prime!!!! I see Khan beating him if Manny doesn't....

Hoppo will be long gone....Froch's good but not a World stage kinda guy!!!

Just seems destined for the top slot.....and Britain should be proud when he gets it....Never had a p4p no 1 before..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Who can stop Khan becoming p4p no 1??? Empty Re: Who can stop Khan becoming p4p no 1???

Post by Scottrf Tue 13 Sep 2011, 4:48 pm

Donaire, Gamboa.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Who can stop Khan becoming p4p no 1??? Empty Re: Who can stop Khan becoming p4p no 1???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 4:51 pm

I don't think they have the opposition or the promotion team to get them headlining and out there Scotty...no1 in the game has to be a big figure..

Truly believe Khan does Floyd....If it's over a year ahead.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 13 Sep 2011, 4:53 pm

True, it's harder at the lighter weights. But I don't think there are more than a couple of really big wins off it atm once Floyd and Manny go.

Can't see that. Khan has the attributes but doesn't control the ring nearly well enough and doesn't have the accuracy.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 4:55 pm

No but he has the opposition.........

Bradley is tailor made for him........Floyd will be ripe....

Donaire and Gamboa haven't got those names to trade on....

Or a Morales etc

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Tue 13 Sep 2011, 4:55 pm

Agree with Scottrf perhaps Alvarez, Ward also even though I can't stand Ward he has age on his side if he beats Froch to make a serious mark

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 13 Sep 2011, 4:57 pm

The Ortiz that fought Berto would have hurt Khan, the fire in the belly and knowing he lost at amateur against him would have drove him further. It's a fight I'd like to see at WW.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 5:00 pm

Gamboa is the major threat; I see him, Donaire and Khan as the three men with real aspirations to top spot once Manny and Floyd are out of the way (so basically, some time in 2013). The problem is, if Gamboa is done with Featherweight as he reportedly says he is, it kills any chance of a fight with Donaire, you'd think (can't see Nonito ever going above Featherweight). Khan will likely end up at 154 lb one day, and hence we'll have a situation where direct fights between the top men are impossible and we won't know for sure.

For what it's worth, Donaire and Gamboa are better talents than Khan in my eyes.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 5:01 pm

All through history exciting, big name fighters have always got the headlines and been rated fondly....

Alvarez, Ward will never be big...enough

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 5:01 pm

In terms of 'actual' P4P, not fanboy/publicity, then Gamboa and Donaire.

Otherwise Manny is they ever fought and, though I think if anyone has the attributes to beat Floyd then its Khan (in 2 years), I don't think he will. Therefore PBF too. Maaaaaybe DeGale even in 4 years time...??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 13 Sep 2011, 5:02 pm

Alvarez has a crazy following in Mexico. He needs to learn English.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 5:07 pm

Chavez didn't..........he was p4p no 1...then again Chavez had better opponents..

No good being good if you haven't anyone to define you..

Bradley and Floyd will make him no 1.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 13 Sep 2011, 5:10 pm

Donaire for me.

Broner maybe.

There's always Arreola if Donaire doesn't do it.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 5:15 pm

Thes guys haven't got Khan's opposition and haven't the height and reach to weight jump like this kid after he's finished with them..

He's very much like Hearns in my opinion...not as good though..

But imagine prime Tommy around now!!!!!! Martinez is p4p top 5!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 5:30 pm

Prime Tommy? Now that would be the man to hand PBF his backside!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 5:32 pm

Khan does remind me of him..his physical attributes anyway.....and the fight controlling jab

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Tue 13 Sep 2011, 5:41 pm

Floyd will beat him if he's under forty, and I would tip Ortiz to beat him. I think his attributes diminish at welter, where his reach and power will be less of a deciding factor. Mike Jones might prove a handful for him, and the boys at 154lbs would just walk him down.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 5:43 pm

Ortiz is made for Khan's jab.......wide open...

Besides Floyd will take years off him with a Mosley like slapping.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 13 Sep 2011, 5:45 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Ortiz is made for Khan's jab.......wide open...

Besides Floyd will take years off him with a Mosley like slapping.

Unless Ortiz shocks the world.

I'm not betting on it before anyone laughs at me. Floyd's taken the fight because Ortiz is tailor made for him. Very vulnerable in the Berto fight to a counter right hand - one of Floyd's best punches - and Floyd gets to take out a big powerful talented WW and add him to the CV.

Not sure re the jab. I remain to be convinced about Khan's inside work and ability to deal with southpaws. Ortiz' inside work is pretty good and he has enough power to rattle Khan upstairs.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 5:51 pm

The one question is...What will Floyd's layoff do to his speed and reflexes???

It'll hurt him eventually...maybe not yet.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 13 Sep 2011, 6:07 pm

Yeah - his daddy is making noises about Floyd not being tested in sparring.

But I reckon this is just hype to sell the fight.

Like Manny getting battered in sparring in the run-up to Margarito. What happened?...
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Tue 13 Sep 2011, 6:22 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:The one question is...What will Floyd's layoff do to his speed and reflexes???

It'll hurt him eventually...maybe not yet.

Not convinced it matters. Mayweather will always be quick, and I honestly believe he could do a BHop and carry on for years.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Joshsmith Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:04 pm

Glad to see you agree with what i wrote a month ago about Khan
soon to become p4p. Keep up.... I mean keep up the good work

Joshsmith

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:04 pm

You're my idol...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:08 pm

Who can stop Khan from becoming p4p???

how about the EDL.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:09 pm

II think Alvarez is the future P4P #1. He's younger than Khan and is really growing into a real 154lbs fighter. Alvarez is promoted by GBP as well he will be well looked after on his way up.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Joshsmith Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:09 pm

You're my idol....

My last girl said that to be as she was walking thru the door
but she finished with "lazy selfish and dumped boyfriend.."

Joshsmith

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:14 pm

Doesn't make sense joshy...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:16 pm

prettyboykev wrote:II think Alvarez is the future P4P #1. He's younger than Khan and is really growing into a real 154lbs fighter. Alvarez is promoted by GBP as well he will be well looked after on his way up.

Alvarez won't be number one. He's too small and not good enough to be a top middlewight, and there isn't enough talent at 154lbs to make a name.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:20 pm

Bob wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:II think Alvarez is the future P4P #1. He's younger than Khan and is really growing into a real 154lbs fighter. Alvarez is promoted by GBP as well he will be well looked after on his way up.

Alvarez won't be number one. He's too small and not good enough to be a top middlewight, and there isn't enough talent at 154lbs to make a name.

He's 21, 5'9" and still growing physically I think your being a bit harsh their mate. I was very impressed with him against Rhodes. He picked his punches expertly took his time and got his man out when the time was right.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:20 pm

Bob is spot on .. opposition

Khan has the goods and the opponents to make it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:27 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Bob is spot on .. opposition

Khan has the goods and the opponents to make it..

Opposition? Who says the likes of Berto and Ortiz don't move up to 154lbs in the next couple of years? Who is Khan left with then in two years time?

Alvarez has the likes of Cotto, Bundrage, Dzinziruk, Martirosyan, Angulo, Trout and even Lara all at his weight just now.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:30 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
Bob wrote:

He's 21, 5'9" and still growing physically I think your being a bit harsh their mate. I was very impressed with him against Rhodes. He picked his punches expertly took his time and got his man out when the time was right.

He's decent, but I think the altitude flattered him against Rhodes, who is hardly a top light middle. Given the previous top boys at 160lbs in recent years have been magnificent athletes (Martinez), or north of six feet (Pavlik, Taylor, BHop), I can't see how Alvarez can dominate at middle unless the opposition is pisspoor. A good punch combination and timing aint enough.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:45 pm

Bob wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:
Bob wrote:

He's decent, but I think the altitude flattered him against Rhodes, who is hardly a top light middle. Given the previous top boys at 160lbs in recent years have been magnificent athletes (Martinez), or north of six feet (Pavlik, Taylor, BHop), I can't see how Alvarez can dominate at middle unless the opposition is pisspoor. A good punch combination and timing aint enough.

Decent is a bit harsh and altitude is a pisspoor excuse he was a few levels above Rhodes who deserved his shot and a lot of people were tipping him to win.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:00 pm

The altitude had to have an effect on a guy who did no training there. An explanantion, not an excuse. I would not tip Rhodes to beat Alvarez anywhere, but he was better than he showed in that fight.

I stand by it, Alvarez is decent. I class Cotto as decent at LMW, but I'm sorry I don't think either are elite at 154lbs.

You really think that by tipping him as a p4p number one he will be at the level of McCallum, Hearns, De La Hoya, Winky, Leonard or Duran at that weight

Doesn't have that level of skill.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:09 pm

Bob wrote:The altitude had to have an effect on a guy who did no training there. An explanantion, not an excuse. I would not tip Rhodes to beat Alvarez anywhere, but he was better than he showed in that fight.

I stand by it, Alvarez is decent. I class Cotto as decent at LMW, but I'm sorry I don't think either are elite at 154lbs.

You really think that by tipping him as a p4p number one he will be at the level of McCallum, Hearns, De La Hoya, Winky, Leonard or Duran at that weight

Doesn't have that level of skill.

I never compared him to any of them! Good list until De La Hoya what did he do at 154lbs that Alvarez isn't capable of?

Alvarez has a good defence, nice jab that he works well behind, good head and foot movement, throws a good variety of punches, picks his punches well he's pretty accurate and carries enough power to stop most fighters at the weight and definitely enough that you can't walk through him.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:12 pm

I'd love to see Guillermo Rigondeaux get his lazy ass into gear and get on with clearing out the Super Bantamweights, same with Donaire in the Bantamweight division but neither of them are very active when they should be pressing on, I think Mayweather aside they're the two most talented guys out there. On the subject of Khan being p4p number 1 I can't see it happening personally because of the opposition. I can't see a fight with Floyd happening unless Mayweather is still good enough to beat him, Floyd is not stupid and he'll be first to know when to hang up the gloves for good he won't stick around for long. After that I don't see where Khan goes, Bradley will be ignored as soon as Khan is at Welterweight as he would bring nothing to the table, Ortiz is a few days away from a heavy beat down and will be labelled as ordinary. Not much else at Welter and I can't see Khan at Lightmiddle for a good number of years, at the moment those guys would go straight through him.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by GeoffSnapes Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:27 am

Khan has a good chance of being P4P No.1 - but only if his career is directed away from big powerful punchers. I don't think we'll see him in with a Maidina style fighter unless absolutely unavoidable. That said, he would deserve immense credit for fighting the likes of Cotto and Pretty Boy.

Boxing Challenges

GeoffSnapes

http://www.konkura.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:29 am

donaire, gamboa, khan, alvarez, povetkin and broner are all good enough. it depends how there divisons look in a years time though.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:33 am

PBK, De La Hoya has a very good resume at light middleweight including wins over Castillejo, Vargas, Campas and Mayorga with a contentious loss to Mosley.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:44 am

Poketkin? A P4P#1 Heavy? No chance.

Broner I haven't been all that impressed with so far to be honest.

Gary Russell Jr looks good but hard to predict how he will be after stepping up, and what the opposition will be like.

TRUSSY I think you're focussing a bit too much on how the divisions are at the moment. A lot can change in a couple of years.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:47 am

There is also a strong possibility that Khan faces neither Bradley or Mayweather.

Last edited by Imperial Ghosty on Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:52 am

Mayweather?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:54 am

Scottrf wrote:Poketkin? A P4P#1 Heavy? No chance.

Broner I haven't been all that impressed with so far to be honest.

Gary Russell Jr looks good but hard to predict how he will be after stepping up, and what the opposition will be like.

TRUSSY I think you're focussing a bit too much on how the divisions are at the moment. A lot can change in a couple of years.

i actually fancy him for it. he won't fight vitali because hes not ready yet, but if wlad sticks around for a few years and teddy builds him up correctly (like he's doing) i think he'll be the guy to beat him. also think in a year or so the heavy division will be much stronger.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:55 am

kell brooks decent as well, intersting to see what he does.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:59 am

Khan is still the right side of 25, so he has that in his favour over Gamboa and Donaire, who for my money, are easily the most gifted fighters outside the dynamic (and ageing) duo. However, I think it far from a certainty that Khan will excel at 147 as he has at 140 - I wouldn't want to bet, for example, that he will have sufficient power to keep the top men away, and the question will need to be answered whether the additional seven pounds will have any adverse effect on his greatest asset, his speed of hand and foot.

Both Donaire and Gamboa have plenty of really world-class potential opponents, either at their current weight or in the two divisions above. I believe them to be superior even to these formidable likely foes, and as such, would tip them to be considered ahead of Khan in the pound for pound stakes eventually. We should also consider Ward, much as I dislike his style. If he beats Froch, as I believe that he probably will, he is a raging favourite to clean up his division, and must also stand a good chance of doing a number on the top light-heavyweights. He must come into future p for p calculations.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:59 am

eddyfightfan wrote:i actually fancy him for it. he won't fight vitali because hes not ready yet, but if wlad sticks around for a few years and teddy builds him up correctly (like he's doing) i think he'll be the guy to beat him. also think in a year or so the heavy division will be much stronger.
Beating Wlad wouldn't put him P4P#1, might scrape him a top 10 place. How will it be stronger in a year? There are no great fighters on the fringes of world level?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:07 am

captain carrantuohil wrote:Khan is still the right side of 25, so he has that in his favour over Gamboa and Donaire, who for my money, are easily the most gifted fighters outside the dynamic (and ageing) duo. However, I think it far from a certainty that Khan will excel at 147 as he has at 140 - I wouldn't want to bet, for example, that he will have sufficient power to keep the top men away, and the question will need to be answered whether the additional seven pounds will have any adverse effect on his greatest asset, his speed of hand and foot.

Both Donaire and Gamboa have plenty of really world-class potential opponents, either at their current weight or in the two divisions above. I believe them to be superior even to these formidable likely foes, and as such, would tip them to be considered ahead of Khan in the pound for pound stakes eventually. We should also consider Ward, much as I dislike his style. If he beats Froch, as I believe that he probably will, he is a raging favourite to clean up his division, and must also stand a good chance of doing a number on the top light-heavyweights. He must come into future p for p calculations.

Captain, I always put little stock in whether the extra 7 pounds will hamper his speed, as don't the fighters step in to the ring far in excess of the 140lb light-welter limit? Common sense would suggest that he would just have to spend less time boiling down in weight, but would actually end up fighting at the same weight he usually does. However, I am far from an expert in this field, so would happily be put right and corrected.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:09 am

Khan would need to bulk a bit to fight at Welterweight, he'd be too easily outmuscled if he fought at the same weight as he did at light welterweight.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:17 am

I'm sure that what you say is quite possible, FoF, but if Khan chooses to come in relatively light, he does run the risk of simply being walked through by big welterweights, as Ghosty says. This is his dilemma, which is why I make him a less likely chance to rule the pound for pound rankings than Gamboa or Donaire, for example.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next