The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tactics Ireland need to play to beat the Wallabies

+8
Geordie
MMC
pete (buachaill on eirne)
D24tress
rodders
red_stag
Boyne
littlejohn
12 posters

Go down

Tactics Ireland need to play to beat the Wallabies Empty Tactics Ireland need to play to beat the Wallabies

Post by littlejohn Tue 13 Sep 2011 - 14:41

Would like to hear other people's views on what ireland need to do to have a chance of beating Australia this Saturday. Here are some of my naive thoughts on what needs to happen:

1. Ireland to play with same agression when they played England earlier this year. While ireland have not really performed since then, I'm quietly confident they'll be fired up for this game!

2. Steal some of Italy's tactics for the game. Italy did really well in the first half vs Oz by kicking very well timed up and unders (generally aimed at AAC), and they were very well organised in defence, which resulted in frustration creeping in for the Wallabies. If they had a decent 10 this might have been a lot closer!

3. Start with ROG - His tactical kicking and ability to vary it is in my opinion a better fit for this kind of game. We can always bring Sexton on later if we need to change tactics. I think he's also marginally better at kicking penalty and conversions.

4. Whereever Cooper is standing in defence run at him (ideally using O'Brien/Ferris) - Pretty obvious one this, although he does often stand deep covering full back off lineouts, etc.

5. Play Australia at their own game - Australia have been very good at putting pressure on rucks, but Ireland will need to do the same when Australia have the ball, slowing it down where possible to stop Genia getting into gear.

6. Leverage Bowe and Kearney's height - Cross field kicks (timed well) could reap rewards for us. Rog is excellent at this.

All in all I accept this will be a tall order, but Ireland play the underdog tag better than anyone! I'm praying it won't be yet another herioc defeat. Bring on Saturday!

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Tactics Ireland need to play to beat the Wallabies Empty Re: Tactics Ireland need to play to beat the Wallabies

Post by Boyne Tue 13 Sep 2011 - 14:51

I stopped reading at number 3....

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Tactics Ireland need to play to beat the Wallabies Empty Re: Tactics Ireland need to play to beat the Wallabies

Post by Boyne Tue 13 Sep 2011 - 14:52

Joking aside- some good points.

I think we can overkill it. We need to just rip into them and really knock them back into the middle of next week.

We can do it.

Will we though?

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 13 Sep 2011 - 14:54

Tactics to beat every other team - FORGET ABOUT THE BLOODY UNDERDOGS TAG!!!! Tactics Ireland need to play to beat the Wallabies 980425
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Tue 13 Sep 2011 - 14:56

Who was it though Stag who said on the RTE that rugby is 90% physiological? Sheehan maybe? I think he is right.

I really think there will be blood and guts spilled at the weekend. By far the biggest game of the week!!

MMC doing another team naming thread? I think he does it better than anyone else...

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 13 Sep 2011 - 15:01

We need to get our basics right 1st and foremost.

The set piece has to be faultless and we need to cut out the unforced handling errors that have been dogging us all season.

I would start with Reddan and Sexton and have them play a high tempo game and utilise O'Brien and Ferris to punch holes up the middle ad then recycle quickly bring Bowe and Trimble in off the wings.

If we get slow ball then I want to see Sexton drop back and kick to the corners rather than try and run slow ball.

Our rolling maul worked well against the USA and thats another tactic I would use but we need to be more patient and not peel off or spin the ball wide when there is nothing on.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Tue 13 Sep 2011 - 15:05

If rugby is 90% mental do you think if we started last week with a team of outsiders in our squad that they would have done better against the US cause they would be more up for it, in playing for places

Cause it was the untouchables that underperformed for us

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 13 Sep 2011 - 15:07

It is mental but why can't our mentality be to do the basics right, have confidence in our ability and make our peace with being better than teams. We don't always have to have backs to the wall.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 13 Sep 2011 - 15:12

I don't know if you saw the analysis by Gareth Thomas but he made the point that the players who have been around for so long like O'Driscoll may be struggling to get themselves up for playing against the so called lesser nations.

It's an interesting point, and coming from a guy who has 100 caps for Wales it's worth taking note off. Sean Fitzpatrick seemed to agree as well.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Tue 13 Sep 2011 - 15:13

roddersm wrote:I don't know if you saw the analysis by Gareth Thomas but he made the point that the players who have been around for so long like O'Driscoll may be struggling to get themselves up for playing against the so called lesser nations.

It's an interesting point, and coming from a guy who has 100 caps for Wales it's worth taking note off. Sean Fitzpatrick seemed to agree as well.

Well, we are pretty much banking on that hypothesis!

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 13 Sep 2011 - 15:14

roddersm wrote:We need to get our basics right 1st and foremost.

The set piece has to be faultless and we need to cut out the unforced handling errors that have been dogging us all season.

I would start with Reddan and Sexton and have them play a high tempo game and utilise O'Brien and Ferris to punch holes up the middle ad then recycle quickly bring Bowe and Trimble in off the wings.

If we get slow ball then I want to see Sexton drop back and kick to the corners rather than try and run slow ball.

Our rolling maul worked well against the USA and thats another tactic I would use but we need to be more patient and not peel off or spin the ball wide when there is nothing on.

I agree with this bigtime.
Think we need to hold onto the ball and run at them hard.
Weneed to stop their momentum asap
We need to start re-using those wrap em up tackles again

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 13 Sep 2011 - 15:15

roddersm wrote:I don't know if you saw the analysis by Gareth Thomas but he made the point that the players who have been around for so long like O'Driscoll may be struggling to get themselves up for playing against the so called lesser nations.

Interesting approach. Again if thats the case we need to identify and remedy that. If thats the case, don't pick them for these matches.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Tue 13 Sep 2011 - 15:19

Boyne wrote:MMC doing another team naming thread? I think he does it better than anyone else...

Well shucks Boyne. Thanks for that. Hug

Here it is: https://www.606v2.com/t13813-ireland-vs-australia-discussion-thread
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 13 Sep 2011 - 15:23

Boyne wrote:

Well, we are pretty much banking on that hypothesis!

Laugh You damn right we are!

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 13 Sep 2011 - 15:33

"I think we can overkill it. We need to just rip into them and really knock them back into the middle of next week."

Well said Boyne. Just go for it. No worries about favorites or anything.Just be in their face in everything they do., and when they get the ball open it up.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Tue 13 Sep 2011 - 15:42

From the team discussion thread:

roddersm wrote:Can this be merged with the other one?:

https://www.606v2.com/t13807-tactics-ireland-need-to-play-to-beat-the-wallabies

Makes sense to merge these alright I suppose.

littlejohn,
If you're happy to then I could put your post as a quote at the start of the Team discussion thread here: https://www.606v2.com/t13813-ireland-vs-australia-discussion-thread
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by littlejohn Tue 13 Sep 2011 - 22:05

MMC wrote:From the team discussion thread:

roddersm wrote:Can this be merged with the other one?:

https://www.606v2.com/t13807-tactics-ireland-need-to-play-to-beat-the-wallabies

Makes sense to merge these alright I suppose.

littlejohn,
If you're happy to then I could put your post as a quote at the start of the Team discussion thread here: https://www.606v2.com/t13813-ireland-vs-australia-discussion-thread

sounds good to me!

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 1:10

Find Suzie and ask for here recipe for listeria Pasties.,or spike there Fosters
with sleeping pills.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 6:39

100 caps or not, GT didn't talk much sense when he was playing and he doesn't now. O'Driscoll is a pro and I've not seen him give less than 100% in a game. Ireland will be up for this alright and if they get it together can spring a surprise. I'd like to see some old fashioned Irish do or die approach but for the whole 80.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 7:10

If you want to beat Australia I would think about going about it this way.

Look at the New Zealand game in Brisbane, Australia weren't able to keep the physicality for 80 minutes, and in that lies the key, as long as their forwards gain parity or dominates at the tight phases and rucks, they will be difficult to contain.

So if Ireland can use their forwards which I beleive they can to contain the aussies there, and hold out for the first 40 minutes, then they should be able to dominate later on.

New zealand started gaining control when they did the pick and drive, they won territory that way, and retianed possession with multi phases, this way they started to dominate, albeit too late to win the match. but in my opinion that is how you can win it.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 7:23

I like the use of the 'we' in point No. 3, Biltong. Are you OK? Smile

Yes, during that 20 minute period in Brisbane the ABs were on a roll... the Wallabies obviously tiring slightly but luckily the rot was stopped and the complexion of the play changed again with the final try. I'm struggling to see Ireland dominate us in a similar way to which NZ did. I'm not saying it could never happen... just that the odds are slim given the recent form of both sides.

Also, don't forget at 20-3 (it could have been 40-3 the way they were going) the epic fightback from the world's best team still couldn't quite get there in the end. I doubt the Wallabies will make the same mistake twice against an Irish team on the weekend.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 7:30

Linebreaker wrote:I like the use of the 'we' in point No. 3, Biltong. Are you OK? Smile

Morning Linebreaker, I must be going nuts, but I can't find where I said WE?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 7:34

Sorry mate, it was littlejohn... not you.

I'm going nuts!

(somehow I mistook you, as the last poster - as the author of the thread)

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 7:37

A bit late in the afternoon, eh?

time to go home.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 7:39

It's been a long day. Time to bring myself home.

Anyway, what's your tip for this match? Australia by around 15?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 7:40

I think i said Oz by 16
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 7:51

If the weather reports I read here and elsewhere are correct - mid-high teens with rain, then it will be interesting to see how much of an affect this will have on the game.

There's some talk (on other threads) about lots of high balls from Ireland to AAC in particular. yet it will also be a weapon for Oz to use - a mixture of high balls and angled kicks behind the defence. Should be a few fumbles and awkward moments for both sides!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 8:04

I think it has been proven that since 2009 the aussies have improved their arial skill a lot, and the high kick will only be effective iff very accurate and chased hard.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down