The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What ever happened to the novelty record...?

+2
dyrewolfe
Cari
6 posters

Go down

What ever happened to the novelty record...? Empty What ever happened to the novelty record...?

Post by Cari Tue 13 Sep 2011, 11:45 am

You know the ones...they were utterly stupid but sold millions, got to number one and stayed there for ages. Every time you heard them, they made you wonder who on earth bought them, but someone obviously did. It was another poster mentioning a novelty song that made me wonder what has happened to novelty records? We don't seem to get them as much anymore - or maybe I'm just out of touch with modern chart music. Have we lost our sense of humour or gained some common sense? Here's a few gems you can You Tube from previous decades to illustrate what I mean. Feel free to share your favourites and admit to buying them (I never did) Smile

Andy Stewart - Donald, Where's Your Troosers
Bernard Cribbins - Right Said Fred
Spitting Image - The Chicken Song
The Firm - Star Trekkin'
Star Turn on 45 Pints - Pump Up The Bitter
Black Lace - Agadoo
Joe Dolce - Shuddupayaface
Mr Blobby - Mr Blobby
The Timelords - Doctorin' The Tardis
Bob The Builder - Can We Fix It
The Teletubbies - Teletubbies Say Eh-Oh

Cari

Back to top Go down

What ever happened to the novelty record...? Empty Re: What ever happened to the novelty record...?

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 19 Sep 2011, 2:23 pm

A few more "classics":

Arnee and the Terminaters - I'll Be Back
Roland Rat - Rat Rapping
Cliff Richard & The Young Ones - Living Doll (still love this!)

More recently we've had stuff like Fat Les' Vindaloo (bloody awful IMO) and the hideous Crazy Frog. Does Los del Rios' Macarena count as a novelty song? Hated that too.

We've not had any in the last few years that I'm aware of, but I'm sure if the opportunity arises, someone will exploit some stupid craze or children's TV show and make a bundle of money, annoying the living daylights out of people in the process. I think because records, despite being cheaper to make now, just don't make as much money as they used to, may be one factor behind their decline. Don't think they're quite dead yet though...
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

What ever happened to the novelty record...? Empty Re: What ever happened to the novelty record...?

Post by Davie Mon 19 Sep 2011, 2:27 pm

Lieutenant Pigeon - Mouldy Old Dough

To be fair though, pretty much every record that gets to number one these days falls into the "wonder who on earth bought them" category

Wasn't there a reggae version of Over The Rainbow recently? Perhaps that qualifies

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 19 Sep 2011, 2:38 pm

you had crazy frog not that long ago if that counts?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 19 Sep 2011, 2:46 pm

Davie wrote:Lieutenant Pigeon - Mouldy Old Dough

To be fair though, pretty much every record that gets to number one these days falls into the "wonder who on earth bought them" category

Wasn't there a reggae version of Over The Rainbow recently? Perhaps that qualifies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I

Not that one?

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Mon 19 Sep 2011, 4:54 pm

Cows with Guns

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 19 Sep 2011, 6:23 pm

Dyre - I loved that version of The Young Ones. I really liked the TV show though, so it might've annoyed some but not me I thought it was great! In fact they did a comedy song for each of the Comic Relief campaigns. Remember these?

Mel (Smith) & Kim Wilde - Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree.
Bananarama & Lananeeneenoonoo - Help!
Hale & Pace (with Dave Gilmour & Brian May) - The Stonk.
Numerous Kids TV puppets - Helping Hand.
Smear Campaign (Bruce Dickinson, Angus Deayton & Rowan Atkinson) - I Wanna Be Elected.
Tony Christie & Peter Kay - Is This The Way To Armarillo
The Proclaimers Brian Potter & Andy Pipkin (Peter Kay) - I'm Gonna Be 500 Miles.
Ruth Jones & Rob Brydon - Barry Islands in the Stream

They went a bit crap in the '90s and '00s...except for the afore mentioned. Each year they just did a silly video with a normal song.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down