The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AP Round 2

+6
prop_lyd
LukeLovesLuka
Ozzy3213
dammit_chris
Sgt_Pooly
SirJohnnyEnglish
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

AP Round 2 - Page 2 Empty AP Round 2

Post by SirJohnnyEnglish Sat 03 Sep 2011, 10:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

Team Sheets and tactics due by COB Thur
Predictions open Fri. Results due Sun/Mon

Sale Sharks 28 London Irish 21

Tries: Strettle (2), Crane
Penalties: Cruden (3)
Conversions: Cruden (2)

Tries: Nel, Sackey, Tait
Penalties:
Conversions: Dupuy (3)

Harlequins 29 Northampton Saints 19

Tries: Lund, Lowe
Penalties: Steenson (5)
Conversions: Steenson (2)

Tries: Geraghty
Penalties: Giteau (4)
Conversions: Giteau

Bath Rugby 21 Saracens 24

Tries:
Penalties: Hodgson (7)
Conversions:

Tries: van Niekerk, Goode, Elstadt
Penalties: Humphreys
Conversions: Humphreys (3)

Exeter Chiefs 17 Newcastle Falcons 32

Tries: Sturgess
Penalties: Myler (4)
Conversions:

Tries: Juan Smith, Vermuelen, Pretorious, Duffy
Penalties: Evans (2)
Conversions: Evans (3)

Gloucester 26 Worcester Warriors 20

Tries: Hanks, Tuitupou
Penalties: Donald (4)
Conversions: Donald (2)

Tries: Peel, Morgan
Penalties: Robinson (2)
Conversions: Robinson (2)

London Wasps 26 Leicester Tigers 24

Tries: Nieto, McAlister
Penalties: Gopperth (4)
Conversions: Gopperth (2)

Tries: Nacewa, Poitrenaud, Poff
Penalties: Walder
Conversions: Walder (2), Miller

Last edited by SirJohnnyEnglish on Fri 09 Sep 2011, 8:50 am; edited 9 times in total

SirJohnnyEnglish

Back to top Go down

AP Round 2 - Page 2 Empty Re: AP Round 2

Post by dammit_chris Fri 09 Sep 2011, 9:12 am

Lol - just off to work - will predo tonight.

Enjoy the rugby Pete - got to be 40+ for NZ?

dammit_chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 09 Sep 2011, 12:19 pm

Anyone else predicting today? (patience has never been one of my strong points)
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Fri 09 Sep 2011, 12:27 pm

I will be later on tonight, off ice-skating with 2 of my young people in a bit (well they'll ice skate and due to my ankle + back i'll watch!!).............don;t worry pete it'll be a 50-0 loss for you Wink
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Steven_Sharks Fri 09 Sep 2011, 12:37 pm

Sale 26 - 26 Irish

I have the scrums as pretty even with a slight line out advantage to Irish. Also give Irish the slight advantage in the back row. Packs just got to Irish with both being fairly even in the loose. Both half backs are good pairings and I am a massive Dupuy fan and think he kicking game would be a huge advantage from 9 but I think the Sale pair is just the better pairing. Two very physical pairings which I see cancelling each other out but there is a slight advantage to Sale with Freuen being the outstanding player. Both back 3's have weaknesses in defence but should be great in an attacking sense. Loose kicking will be punished by those players and I can see both sides putting in a few stray kicks.

See it as a draw with the Irish having the stronger pack but Sale having the better backs and home advantage.

Steven_Sharks

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 09 Sep 2011, 12:43 pm

As it should be prop, as it should be Wink
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Steven_Sharks Fri 09 Sep 2011, 12:56 pm

Bath 15 - 18 Saracens

Saracens edge the scrum battle but not by so much as to hugely affect the game. See each side winning there own lineout ball with perhaps Borthwick taking a few from Bath. I think I give Bath the slight edge in the backrow with some top players but again its not a huge margin. I prefer the Bath halfbacks as I feel they have the stronger player in each position. Both sets of Centres are young but talented and I don't see a major advantage either way. The fact that Farrell has a great boot makes up for the out of hand kicking advantage I feel Hodgson has over Humphries. I feel the Saracens back 3 is far better suited to the conditions. I also give Saracens the advantage coming off the bench.

Steven_Sharks

Back to top Go down

Post by Steven_Sharks Fri 09 Sep 2011, 1:04 pm

Exeter 21 - 24 Newcastle

Scrum goes to Newcastle with the Lineout going to Exeter. I feel Hudson can take a good amount of Newcastle lineout ball. I prefer the Newcastle flankers but Gareth Delve has been the better form of the number 8's. Overall the pack go to Newcastle but not by much. Newcastle have the stronger half backs but this isn't an area which is weak for Exeter and they should execute their tactics well. Have the centres as round about even perhaps with a slight Newcastle advantage. Newcastle have the better back 3 with Exeter having the stronger bench.

Steven_Sharks

Back to top Go down

Post by Steven_Sharks Fri 09 Sep 2011, 1:13 pm

Gloucester 19 - 20 Worcester

I think I'd have to call the scrums even, and then the same with the lineouts. Both packs have to great aggressive carriers and I really can't call them. I give the half backs to Worcester as i really think they they will work well together. Centre's are pretty tight, I think I'd give it to Worcester but only just. I think that it's a far stronger back 3 for Gloucester. I'd also say Worcester have a stronger bench.

Big upset for the warriors.

Steven_Sharks

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Fri 09 Sep 2011, 1:16 pm

Shocked steve kiss
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 09 Sep 2011, 1:22 pm

Think your game will be really tight prop, I struggled to call it.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Steven_Sharks Fri 09 Sep 2011, 1:23 pm

London Wasps 19 - 17 Leicester

I think I see a scrum advantage to Wasps and the lineout being even so not a great deal of difference of set piece. Both backrows are strong but I prefer the balance with Wasps. I give the half backs to Wasps as they are perfect for what Wasps want them to do. Both hugely stronger centre combo's and I think I'd give the advantage to Leicester but I don't see many gaps in either midfield. Think Leicester have the better back 3 and the bench just goes to Wasps.

Steven_Sharks

Back to top Go down

Post by Steven_Sharks Fri 09 Sep 2011, 1:25 pm

I can't believe how close these games are. was hoping for some easier games to predict during the world cup

Steven_Sharks

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Fri 09 Sep 2011, 1:25 pm

LDCPete wrote:Think your game will be really tight prop, I struggled to call it.

Just glad I'm getting there Very Happy not being dead last this season!! Going to email myself the tactics and teams so hopefully will have it done this afternoon.
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 09 Sep 2011, 1:34 pm

Was a real tough round to predict Steve, took me absolutely ages.

Prop, your team is definitely getting there mate, there is very little between top and bottom in this league now.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by SirJohnnyEnglish Fri 09 Sep 2011, 2:27 pm

Harlequins 17 15 Northampton Saints

At scrum time I can see a slight advantage for Saints (more form for their props and this would be a bigger advantage). Hayman getting at Marler will work well for Saints. Both sides have options at the lineout and will secure their own ball. Quins 2nd row has an extra edge around the park and in grunt for me though. In the back row Quins with some better form slightly edge the battle here. Robinson rushed in for a debut won’t offer much of a link from 7 but can’t see him being exposed at the breakdown either.

1 a-piece at half back for me. Better game management from Quins though as a unit overall. In the backs I have the midfield fairly even not much either way really. Back 3s Saints have a bit more coming forward but Quins a lot more solid defensively. Quins game plan could show up the Saints back 3. As a whole think Saints back line can be got out defensively. From the benches I can see a bit more impact for Quins in the form of Britz and Vermack.

Good battle in the pack here with both sides seeing some decent ball for me. Both sides with solid game plans that can see some joy. Comes down to home advantage really for me

SirJohnnyEnglish

Back to top Go down

Post by SirJohnnyEnglish Fri 09 Sep 2011, 2:44 pm

Bath Rugby 9 16 Saracens

I see an edge to Sarries in the scrum here with their 2 Saffa’s the real difference. Think Elsadt at the front will see Sarries steal a few Bath balls at the lineout here as well. More around the park in the front 5 for Sarries with Elsadt and Mullan the two stand out players on show. Sarries with the upper hand at the back row battle for me as well with a bit more quality.

For quality Bath are stronger in the halfbacks but with no game time and minimal training time together Bath will look very disjointed today. In the backs, midfield is tight with Sarries shading form currently. In the back 3 Bath stronger coming forward but Sarries much more solid defensively. See the benches as fairly similar in terms of quality here.

Can’t see past Sarries for this win. Better organization with a more detailed game plan. The stronger pack will see better ball for them to attack with and see them winning here at the Rec

SirJohnnyEnglish

Back to top Go down

Post by stnick88 Fri 09 Sep 2011, 3:01 pm

Quins v Saints
- Tight upfront, can see Hayman getting at Marler but Mujati is solid and Domingo not in top form so even stevens. 2nd row's edged by Quins not a huge fan of Taylor at 5 and think Lund will get some joy at the lineout. Dickson and Steenson is a steady but unspectacular combo which will get decent enough ball for a strong backline. Giteau the standout but not keen on Geraghty at 12 and can see the wind troubling Savea and Cipriani (high ball). See Quins kicking there way to a narrow victory, with Saints scoring tries but conditions slightly favouring Quins.
26-24

Bath v Saracens
- A close scrum battle, with maybe Sarries gaining a slight upper hand. Borthwick is a good lineout operator and will secure good ball but see Maestri's experience serving Bath well up against Elstadt. Backrow battle will be close, JVN probably the standout but do prefer him at 8. Smith still a class act but rating is decreasing going to Japan. Big Armitage fan and he will be a nuisance at the breakdown. Overall I think Sarries edge the forward battle to create a good platform. Prefer the Bath halfbacks, Kelleher all round better player than Hodgson, Hodgson and iHumph is close. No form for Waldouck hinders Baths backline but apart from him it is a good backline which will cause problems for Sarries. Sarries have a lot of kickers in their team but could be caught out defensively with some young heads. Think Baths halfbacks will control the game well and see them home.
22-18

Exeter v Newcastle
- Falcons edge the front five but wont completly dominate at Sandy Park. More class in the back row for Falcons to see them get good ball, which is what they need to let Pretiorius and Evans control the game. Like I said last week Barritt and Payne doesnt hugely inspire me but as a WC combo it is solid and will do a job. Plenty of pace in Falcons back 3 to score tries. TOL's form will hinder the Chiefs and think Balshaw at 15 could be got at.
17-22

Gloucester v Worcester
- Good, close forward battle cant pick a winner. Really like the Worc. half backs and see them controlling games well. Donald is class. Glos have great running threats in JSD, May, Gear and Sharples and can see them cutting through Worc. defence a few times. Vesty at 12 gives Worc. mroe creativity but away from home can see them just coming up short.
24-21

Wasps v Tigers
- Wasps will have a solid set piece, both scrum and lineout will give them an attacking platform. A close backrow battle with Joubert leading Tigers well, but think there half back combo is shaded by Wasps. Mac/Mortlock is a great WC combo that will cause Tigers problems, although their combo is strong too. See Gopperth control and kicking better, with home advantage, home win.
25-23

stnick88

Back to top Go down

Post by SirJohnnyEnglish Fri 09 Sep 2011, 3:10 pm

Exeter Chiefs 14 19 Newcastle Falcons

Can’t see a noticeable gain either side in the scrum here. Edge to Newcastle in the lineout here though with some great options in the back row to help out. Bit more in the Falcons engine room as well around the park with FVDM the main difference. Backrow to Falcons as well. The world cup was pretty kind on Newcastle there!

Half backs more form and quality in the Newcastle pairing. Across the backline there is a shade more quality for falcons as well. Not to sure on Balshaw in these winds at fullback. Benches are fairly even (Is Hipkiss not Newcastle’s player and therefore ineligible?)

Newcastle to pick up the win here with a bit too much quality for Exeter.

SirJohnnyEnglish

Back to top Go down

Post by SirJohnnyEnglish Fri 09 Sep 2011, 3:26 pm

Gloucester Rugby 15 15 Worcester Warriors

Fairly even at the scrum here. No one will particularly get on top. Can’t see an advantage at the lineout either for anyone. Tidy jumping options on both sides. Good even battle here in the front 5. Back row battle I have as fairly even as well. 6 to Worcester, 7 even and 8 to Glaws.

Halfbacks are 1 a piece but as a unit Worcester are stronger. In the backs Glaws a class up in the back 3, but Worcester with the stronger midfield. On the bench Coonie will bring some impact around the park for Glaws but Williams and Henson will help Worcester out.

This is actually a very very tight game for me! I can’t see much heads way gained in the pack for either side. Glaws have the stronger back 3 to attack through but Worcester stronger in midfield and halfback and would use the ball better. Home advantage for Glaws but with a set of tactics still referencing Saints from last week and targetting players not in starting 15. I’m going to call this a draw.

SirJohnnyEnglish

Back to top Go down

Post by SirJohnnyEnglish Fri 09 Sep 2011, 3:40 pm

London Wasps 16 18 Leicester Tigers

Scrum battle fairly even here. On current form it’s a great battle between Crockett and Nieto. I can’t see an advantage either way in the lineout. Wentzel the outstanding jumper but some good options for Tigers in the back row. Backrow battle edges to the away side though

Half backs shading to Wasps. 10’s fairly even but Classens stronger at 9. In the backs, Tigers with the stronger midfield with a classy real life combo. McAllister provides a spark for Wasps now but will need more time to fully settle in. Back 3 ball in hand Tigers are stronger. Both sides have defensive issues though with Cato and Poitrenaud suspect under the highball in these conditions for me. Wasps maybe shading the bench for overall quality but not a lot in it on current form.

Another tough one to call here. Good even battle at the set piece but Tigers stronger in the back row battle. The main difference really though is McAllister still bedding in. Give it another few weeks and Wasps would have shaded this with home advantage but I expect some disjointed play today and Tigers snatch a good away scalp.

SirJohnnyEnglish

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeLovesLuka Fri 09 Sep 2011, 3:49 pm

Sale 28 - 26 Irish

Don't see much movement in either front row really. Slight advantage to Irish in the back row but not a huge margin. Edge to Sale in the HB's both I like both combos. Slight edge to Sale beyond there, but both sides have some game changers. Overall quality-wise these sides are not far apart, and I see a high scoring game, but home advantage means Sale sneak it.

Harlequins 26 - 21 Saints

Tough to call up front with some form and quality on show, maybe edge to Quins with form. Second row just to Quins but not a lot of give. Edge to Quins in the back row with a bit more form. Backs is tough, with nice combos, but see Saints suffering a bit in the back three. Think Quins pack has that bit too much for Saints today.

Bath 19 - 18 Saracens

Slight gain for Sarries in the front row, but I see the back 5 being a real battle, with no real winner in my eyes. Bath take the HB's with a nice combo, and Allen will stand them in good stead too and I prefer him to Farrel. Sarries better back three for the conditions. Have this one really tight, and going all the way, with home advantage sneaking Bath over the line.

Exeter 18 - 24 Newcastle

Slight advantage Newcastle up front, and they edge the second row battle too. Some big names in the 2nd row, but Smith loses some rating by now. I like Exeter's balance. Newcastle take the HB's, and a nice combo in midfield takes that for them too. Bit more in the back three too. Newcastle just stronger all over the park, and a tough day at home for the Chiefs with Falcons picking up the only away win of the day.

Gloucester 24 - 22 Worcester

Tight battle upfront with no clear winner, similar story in the second row too for me. Same again in the back rows with neither side having enough to dominate the other. Close HB's, maybe very slight edge to Worcester, beyond there it's advantage Gloucester for me. Such a tight battle, but Gloucester have that bit more 11-15 for me and sneak it.

LukeLovesLuka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 09 Sep 2011, 4:18 pm

Back home...I'll watch AB game and get predo's in

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Fri 09 Sep 2011, 4:56 pm

Going to start getting them in now.....reckon this match'll be the same outcome as mine and sirj's....close up until the winning points being added!
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Arry Fri 09 Sep 2011, 4:58 pm

Sale Sharks 25 – 23 London Irish

Think the packs are both very strong. Both teams have good set pieces and the scrums will be very hotly contested. I think London Irish have the stronger back row that will get them over the gain line to attack. Advantage to Sale in the half back area, good pairing that will help them in their attacks. Like the power in the London Irish centres will set them out a good platform to spread the ball out. Very tight one to call, think home advantage just swings it Sales way.

Harlequins 23 – 21 Northampton Saints

Another tight game here, interesting battles in the packs. Think the consistency in the Quins back line is what wins them this one, a solid half back combination that will do the job, the Saints will score tries they have a very exciting back line with plenty of creativity. Think the steady and controlling Steenson will control the Quins play, and I think that the in form Quins back row will manage to get in Giteau’s face and put him off his game. Home advantage and controlled play wins Quins this one.

Bath 15 – 18 Saracens

Pack battle goes to Saracens, really like the combinations they have got going on. Their back row will be superb at the breakdown for them and ensure they provide Hodgson with quick ball. Like the Bath half backs think Hodgson will marshal them well but will struggle with scrappy ball. Good back three on show from Bath but for me Sarries have the edge in the pack which will see them to victory.

Exeter Chiefs 19 – 24 Newcastle Falcons

Slight advantage to the Falcons in the pack. Good line up on show from Exeter really like their back row but feel that Newcastle have that extra bit of class in their line up. Both back lines are quality but the falcons in Nick Evans have that extra bit of spark that can unlock defences. Good pace out wide for both teams, think this game will be an exciting one but Newcastle have the extra quality to seal an away win.

Gloucester 20 – 18 Worcester Warriors

Very close in the packs cant see an advantage to either side here. Plenty of spark in the Gloucester back line that I feel will win them the game. Donald will control the play for Gloucester and bring the likes of JSD and Sharples into the game. Really like the half back pairing on show from Worcester but feel that home advantage will just see Gloucester sneak this one against a very impressive Worcester set up.

'Arry

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Fri 09 Sep 2011, 5:35 pm

Sale 24-20 Irish
Sale's pack and 9-10 get the edge but I do like the look of the Irish 12-13 if they gel well they will be dominant during the season.

Quins 18-16 Saints
Front rows even, back row to Saints. Subs make the match even but I feel Steenson will play the windy conditions well for the win.

Bath 15-22 Sarries
It's the leadership in the pack that help Sarries to get the upper hand and the dominance.

Exeter 20-26 Newcastle
Prefer the Cheifs backrow but the Falcons back 3 and overall quality win this match.

Wasps 26-30 Tigers
Big win for Tigers love the Wasps 2nd row combo but the understanding of the Tigers centres and having the ability to switch between Poitrenaud and Nacewa really help to mix it up.

It's taken me an hour to do these!!! Think I need a cider
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Steven_Sharks Fri 09 Sep 2011, 5:38 pm

Hope you didn't type down every thought that came into your head in that hour prop

Steven_Sharks

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Fri 09 Sep 2011, 5:41 pm

Haha being a front row forward you'd think that it was all I could manage to type!! I had to make notes and tally table each team on paper and then put small notes!!
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Sep 2011, 9:49 pm

On terrible connection so 1 a time

12 sale 19 Irish backrow for sale gets smashed even most other places. Johnny hit so hard in backrow and for me the crucial areas are lost. If at irish could see this by 20. Best etc for me are poor in comparison. Sale lose all 3 backrow battles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Sep 2011, 8:28 am

Great mobile pack from steve and a more
Solid back 3 sees him squeak it 22-21. See Dickson schooling Davies and dictating the game. Saints would either explode or capitulate when kicked to with that back 3 so really hard to call. Sorry for brief explains it's hard work on phone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Sep 2011, 8:34 am

Bath 23-23 sarries. Had sarries winning this but then 3 points for home advantage draws it. To Win away you need to win the forward battle. Front row is baths massive weak point during wc. Both backrow excellent. Even though front row of sarries Is pretty standard they would cause bath problems in loose and tight.

Bath best half backs during wc and this guidance keeps them in position to snatch draw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Sep 2011, 8:38 am

Exeter 20-24 Newcastle great battle with falcons just shading pack. Juan smith gets neutral rating as been out so long but still beats danaher. Overall quality and particularly halfbacks sees black machine roll on

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Sep 2011, 8:42 am

Wasps 26-20 Leicester Great pair of props from arry and 2 serous backrows. Arry has loads of experience and ball carriers. See claasens and gopperth streets ahead of youngs and Walder. Add in home advantage and I think this will be easy although wasps will tire and concede late scores

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Sep 2011, 8:45 am

Jeez wc throws up some hard to predict games. Especially with lots of players out Of form or having not played for a while. Come on england

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 10 Sep 2011, 8:58 am

Really tough this week, I'm just finishing mine up now. Home advantage was the difference in the tight games.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 10 Sep 2011, 9:15 am

Sale 25–22 London Irish

Strong front row for Sale that will give Irish problems in the scrum with each player that little bit tastier than his opposition. Bekker/Kennedy would be a good lineout battle but think the Sale engine room has a little more around the park. Good options in the backrow also. Front 5 going to the home side. I really like the Irish backrow and think they have the edge here. Todd/Fourie would be a contest but a touch more for Irish at 6 and 8, see Crane starting to settle in a bit now and will be effective behind a strong set piece.

Cracking halfback battle, like all 4 players on show. Dupey/Care would be a belter with 2 contrasting styles, Dupey’s kicking could really keep Irish in the game. Very powerful centre combo’s, think Sale have the edge though with a little more fluidity. Smallest of edges in Sale back 3 but not much in it and 2 good combo’s. Good benches with strong impact.

Sale are looking very strong during the WC and will be very hard to beat at home. Irish put up a good battle but see them coming up a little short, good game.

Sale MOTM – Bekker
Irish MOTM – Dupey

Harlequins 19–15 Northampton

Great upfront battle. I’d have Domingo/Mujati pretty equal with the Frenchman lacking a bit of form but still a class act. Hayman would give Marler real issues but this is numbed a little with Rees a stronger scrummager than Webber. Quins get the edge on in the engine room with 2 stronger players although the lineout will be a tight affair with plenty of options for both teams, really like Quins WC engine room. Not much in the backrows with a tiny edge to Saints, agree that Robinson will be a little off the game though and might need a couple more weeks to settle in fully.

Dickson a class above Davies but Giteau brings much more to the game than Steenson although his style does suit Quins game plan. Similar style centres and would be a great battle, not much form apart from Lowe but a tight contest. Not sure about the Saints back 3 in the conditions, esp the wings who could be targeted. I’d say similar about Roko for Quins although he’s a bit stronger than the Saints pair. Blair would be a great option for this type of game but really suffers with been out a year. No 9 cover on bench for Saints could be costly, not sure a 6-2 split is the right call and no real option to change the back 3 if targeted. Find the option to look for drops with 3 players not really known for their drop goals a little confusing too.

Both teams look very strong during WC and they’ll both really go for this. I’d prob look for the draw but I think Steve has really nailed his team and tactics, esp targeting the Saints back 3. Saints tactic to give away possession with drops(can’t see any of those players nailing many) as a little baffling and will just play into Quins hands. I feel a little harsh as I like both sides but tactics have to be spot on to win away from home, sorry Chris.

Quins MOTM – Lund
Saints MOTM – Hayman

Bath Rugby 25–24 Saracens

Bit of an edge for Sarries come scrum time but nothing major I don’t think, Bath's front row is pretty steady but a little in-effective around the park. Great engine room battle, see the 4’s very tight but Borths a little stronger than Ross in the tight. Cracking backrow battle, really like both combo’s. JVN will really drive Sarries on and will give Guest a real game. Think Armitage/Smith are pretty close but Beattie has edge on Narraway. Think Sarries have a little edge in the pack though in a good contest.

Got to agree with Pete that Kelleher will be a little out of sorts, although don't see Hodgson having a poor defence. Think Kelleher's quality and experience helps a little but 8/9/10 should be a pretty settled unit. Saying that, I really like the Bath pair and they're a stronger pairing than the Sarries unit. Bath just take the centres, think Allen is much stronger at 12 than Farrell and Walds slightly better than Spence(although Walds lack of form costs him. I like the Bath back 3 and can’t see them suffering under high ball, think they’ll be electric in attack. I like Ranger and Goode and think they’d work well together, not a fan of Homer though who offers very little on the wing and blunts Sarries a bit.

Home advantage and a stronger backline will see Bath through in this one, I think Farrell and Homer drag Sarries down a little. I like Farrell but only really seen him at 12 in U20WC and I wasn't convinced. Both have good tactics with Sarries a lot more detailed but Bath’s simple and pretty effective. I like Sarries pack but don’t think they will have enough to dominate. Stronger Sarries bench makes it a thriller and one point will separate.

Bath MOTM – Hodgson
Sarries MOTM – Borthwick

Gloucester 21–20 Worcester Warriors

Think Worcester might get a little edge on come scrum time and both teams have some good bench options to really even it out in the second. Think Kohn is a little stronger than Hanks but I really like Robson and he’ll even the engine rooms out and lineouts should be won on own throw with good options. Backrows are really tight, don’t think there’s much between Thorpe & Buxton but a tiny edge at 7 to Worcester. Would be a great contest between AJ and Chabal though.

Peel is a class above Lewis but Donald/Robinson would just side with the former AB. Vesty at 12 will help Robinson and Clarke will keep things tight in defence. May has started the season well but can see Clarke keeping him quiet, think midfields will cancel each other out a little. Morgan/Sharples pretty even at FB, see Malzieu really testing JSD’s defence but Gear will really hammer Garvey.

Impact from both benches and a really tight affair, I like Gloucesters use of prop forwards which will cancel out any advantage Worceseter will get in the first. Worcester would sneak this one at home but see the sides as pretty even so home advantage does enough to get the Cherry and Whites first win of the season.

Gloucester MOTM – Donald
Worcester MOTM – Marconnet

Wasps 26–26 Leicester

As a front row unit there’s not much in this one, Faan would struggle a little against Freshwater I think and I can see Gopperth punishing Leicester. 2 cracking engine rooms and not much in it, lineout will be tight. Nothing again the backrows, think TJ might just have a bit more of a natural game at 6 than Waldroum. Very close pack battle.

Think Worcester edge the halfbacks but two good pairing. 2 serious centre partnerships, McAlister will be settling in a little and would bring a lot to the Wasps backline for me, also gives Gopperth another playmaking option. Bit more in the back 3 for Leicester with Biggs/Cato pretty close but the other 2 give the tigers some flair in attack.

Great game, think Leicester match Wasps in the pack and slightly edge the backs. Think McA after a few weeks in might have been the difference but think with his added flair and Gopperth nailing the kicks Wasps will snatch the draw.

Wasps MOTM – McAlister
Leicester MOTM - Nacewa

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by CJB Sat 10 Sep 2011, 10:09 am

Sale 21-18 Irish
Quins 24-22 Saints
Exeter 13-18 Falcons
Gloucester 24-22 Worcester
Wasps 19-20 Tigers

CJB

Back to top Go down

Post by dammit_chris Sat 10 Sep 2011, 12:50 pm

Sale 17 - 16 Irish -
tough one to call, Sale have better front row, whereas Irish have a better backrow and I think they can stop a lot of Sale attacks. Sale have got a really strong backline during the WC, and tied up with home ad. I would just give them the win here. Think the Irish centres needed Tait in there as both big smash up the middle type players who I think lack the intelligence to make most of things.

Bath 16 - 16 Saracens
Sorry. Can't call this one, is a really tough game - would have gone with Sarries if it was at home and nearly did when seeing that this was Kellher's first game. If he didnt have as much experience then I'd have given Sarries the win, but for me he's still best no9 from NZ by a long way. If Kelleher had another 2-3 games under his belt then Bath would have won.

Exeter 23 - 26 Falcons
Can see that the Falcons backrow will get the upper hand here - Robshaw is the form player in the AP after two games and can see him causing some problems. That Exeter team is very good though and will run the defending champions close. Think just a bit more class in the backthree and they are a transformed team!

Gloucester 28-25 Worcester
Close game, think that Gloucester probably just about have a bit more about them in the backline with Johnny May possibly being the match winner - when youngsters come through they can often catch out opposition in first 3-4 games as they are an unknown and hard to defend. May's pace is a threat. Think possibly Chabel should play as a lock as he seems to get isolated a bit in the backrow.

Wasps 17 - 14 Tigers
These games are always fiercly competitive and I think Wasps just have enough to pip the Tigers at home. Arry has got a really disruptive team that will stop others palying and building scores. McAlister adds that something special to the backline, though think a bit more quality is needed in the backthree. Tigers have a cracking backthree, but cant quite see them doing enough to pick up a win at Adams Park

dammit_chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 5:53 pm

Any sign of SJE? Predos closed hours ago. Shall I tally up?
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by dammit_chris Sat 10 Sep 2011, 6:24 pm

Do mine count at all? Didnt know there was a noon cut off - is that what it will always be now - if so good idea.

Was in a Conference call immediately after the rugby for a couple of hours - got Premiere on Tuesday, and then I am actually going to be able to get everything back on time properly again!

dammit_chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 6:26 pm

As far as I am aware SJE said the rules were being strictly adhered to with a noon cut off Chris, so yours will not count this week mate.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 6:29 pm

Results

Sale Sharks 28 London Irish 21
Harlequins 29 Northampton Saints 19
Bath Rugby 21 Saracens 24
Exeter Chiefs 17 Newcastle Falcons 32
Gloucester 26 Worcester Warriors 20
London Wasps 26 Leicester Tigers 24

Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 10 Sep 2011, 6:45 pm

Some real tight games this week, I really struggled. Your's and Arry's but have been a nail biter Pete

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 6:49 pm

The spreadsheet totals up as I put in the scores in the order they were predicted so you kind of get a sense of the ebb and flow of the match. Mine was interesting as I got the first 2 predos, then Bath got 2, and I was only marginally ahead, then there was a draw, then I got another, so it was just sort of inching away.

Arry was always ahead I think, and luke made a late surge for it but just fell short.

Pleased for prop to get the LBP, there will be teams that go to Gloucester this season and don't.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by dammit_chris Sat 10 Sep 2011, 7:13 pm

Ah, if only i posted my scores earlier then as wrote them up during the rugby this morning.

I'm off to find a small country in the Middle East or Africa that you, SJE and Driver can go and rule with those iron fists of yours...

dammit_chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 7:26 pm

To be fair Chris, the only tangible difference that your predictions would have made would be to have denied London Irish a losing bonus point. A couple of scores would have been minorly altered but in terms of league points won that would have been the only difference.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 7:29 pm

I like the idea of ruling a country though... Wink
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by dammit_chris Sat 10 Sep 2011, 7:43 pm

Yeah I saw my predictions pretty much followed the norm!

I wish I didnt put that thought into your head - imagine LDC 'Hussein' Pete, with Rugby 'Gaddafi' Driver and S 'Kim Jong II' JE as your military command - shudder...

dammit_chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 7:48 pm

I've done the scorers for the matches as well, courtesy of random.org thumbsup
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by SirJohnnyEnglish Sat 10 Sep 2011, 7:50 pm

Cheers Pete mate!! thumbsup
Busy weekend moving house!

SirJohnnyEnglish

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 7:56 pm

No worries mate, it's handy having mod access so I can edit the main post.

Another good win for you again this week, going to be a tough old league to win this season.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next