The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dayglo Writes Off England

+12
RubyGuby
funnyExiledScot
GunsGerms
munkian
tomathy
Great White
Geordie
screamingaddabs
Islingtonv2
rodders
OzT
TheGreyGhost
16 posters

Go down

Dayglo Writes Off England Empty Dayglo Writes Off England

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:01 am

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10748755

Interesting that the usually monocular England advocate Lawrence Dallaglio has suggested England have no chance of winning the RWC.

He suggests they'd be happy just to get to a semi-final.

Is he stabbing his old comrade in the back? and dealing a telling blow to England's morale on the eve of the tournament?

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Dayglo Writes Off England Empty Re: Dayglo Writes Off England

Post by OzT Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:03 am

Complete double bluff I reckon. He is passionate about English rugby. He expects them to win, but saving pressure if they do not, with the sweetener that 2015 they will.

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:03 am

You think the pressure is getting to them then?

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:08 am

I think he's just being honest. A SF would consolidate England as a top 4 side again which would be a big achievement. Anything beyond that would be a bonus.

None of the NH sides have shown much to suggest that they are capable of going beyond a SF and to be honest most of them will be doing well to get that far. England look best placed to do that right now.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:12 am

England? and not Wales? interesting perspective there roddersm.

You don't think the recent loss to Wales would indicate that perhaps they have a shot too?

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Islingtonv2 Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:15 am

there is very little pressure on England since there is very little expectation within the media and cavalry of former players that we'll do much in this world cup. 2015 will be a different kettle of fish mind on home soil and with the perception of having a talented bunch of 21-24 years old that'll be in their prime. That plus the public (media) will expect the EPS agreement and academy structures to start delivering tangible results.

Islingtonv2

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:15 am

GG, I don't think the pressure's getting to them. England has a good predigree in RWC, and with MJ at the helm no way is that bloke a softie, and that will rub off to his team.

I don't think any of the top 6 sides will be going to the RWC not expecting to win it, and maybe some of the other sides too.

What Dayglo did here is the opposite of the usual aussie mouthings of 'we're gonna win'.

But for sure he expects then to win.

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:21 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10748755

Interesting that the usually monocular England advocate Lawrence Dallaglio has suggested England have no chance of winning the RWC.

He suggests they'd be happy just to get to a semi-final.

Is he stabbing his old comrade in the back? and dealing a telling blow to England's morale on the eve of the tournament?

No he doesn't. He says that the fans would probably be happy with it and specifically the management and players would not be happy with it. He states that:

"I don't think Martin Johnson would be happy. I don't think the coaches would be, I don't think the players would be happy but the majority of people would say that is not a bad reflection of where you are at the moment."

He also doesn't say they have "no chance" as you state, he just says:

""Hand on heart, England are not favourites," he told Press Association Sport.

"They are not the number one side in the world; they are not the number two.

"What can we realistically expect from England in this World Cup? Well, if they got to the semi-finals and played well then I think the majority of people would be happy."
"

So I don't think he's stabbing anyone in the back and I doubt it will have a massive impact on the team as even if they do hear about it I doubt they will be that concerned that Dallaglio thinks they are about 4th in the world, the same as their IRB ranking.

Over all, pretty poor WUM, better luck next time.
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:26 am

I think thevast majority of England fans think 2015 will be a better chance of winning. This is too early....but i would happily settle for a semi final.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:33 am

I would actually be happy for England to reach a semi-final. For sure, winning the whole thing is almost certainly beyond the current squad. You can't help but wonder how much better England would fare had there not been several years mucking about after 2003. 2015 is a realistic prospect though, providing the transition of old players out, young players in is managed correctly. MJ seems to be getting his head round that, albeit rather slowly.

GG has twisted what Dayglo has said to suit his own predictable agenda - as usual. WUM.

Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:36 am

I'd be perfectly happy with a semi-final and hopefully going the furthest of the NH teams. Every team in the top 10 theoretically has a chance of winning it, just some have a very small one.

As screamingaddabs has pointed out, TGG is telling a massive lie anyway.
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:43 am

England do have the easiest group out of the NH teams, I'd expect them to get out their group with few probems.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:50 am

But this article isn't about the group stages.

Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:55 am

Dallaglio really can't be considered monocular. I used to despise him as a player but as a pundit I reckon he is the best in England because he tends to have agenda free fair and knowledgable assessments. Its not the first time he has rubbished englands chances. At least that's my impression of his regular Sunday times articles.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:56 am

He's just annoyed that there aren't enough [world class/future Lions] Wasps players in the squad.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 01 Sep 2011, 12:00 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:England? and not Wales? interesting perspective there roddersm.

You don't think the recent loss to Wales would indicate that perhaps they have a shot too?

I think England, France and to a lesser extent Wales and Ireland all have a chance of making a SF. England are probably best placed out of that bunch right now due to the power of their pack. They all so have a youthful energy in their side and a bit of cutting edge out wide.

However they are lacking is a bit of experience, leadership and steel and I think if they come across a team who can match them physically and pressurise their halfbacks then they may come unstuck.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Thu 01 Sep 2011, 12:05 pm

roddersm wrote:
TheGreyGhost wrote:England? and not Wales? interesting perspective there roddersm.

I think England, France and to a lesser extent Wales and Ireland all have a chance of making a SF. England are probably best placed out of that bunch right now due to the power of their pack. They all so have a youthful energy in their side and a bit of cutting edge out wide.

However they are lacking is a bit of experience, leadership and steel and I think if they come across a team who can match them physically and pressurise their halfbacks then they may come unstuck.

I think the only teams that can match us physically up front have better backs than us anyway. Can't see us beating NZ or the Boks at this world cup. If we get to a semi against Australia then it could be a really good game, just because they are the team in form but will be wary after the two losses to us, but I have little hope of us beating either of those two if we come up against them.
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 01 Sep 2011, 12:54 pm

DayGlo is just being honest and realistic here, England have had a poor 4 years and whilst there is at least some light at the end of the tunnell they are far from a complete side and he knows that. Those talking about 2015 might as well ask mystic Meg as the rugby world will be a completely different place then with players who we have yet to hear of having a significant influence over proceedings and some of those currently being eulogised about burning out quickly. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 01 Sep 2011, 12:58 pm

roddersm wrote:

Don't you think France have a strong pack?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:20 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:
roddersm wrote:

Don't you think France have a strong pack?

Yes I do which is why I mentioned that they are in with a shout for the SF. I think Englands tight 5 have the edge on them though although I think France have a better squad. If I was to pick 1 to go through I'd go for England, just.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:22 pm

Ruby,

Us talking about 2015, are simply going off the fact that we have a pretty youthful 1st squad and the developing teams are producing alot aswell.

Yes anything can happen i agree...but its looking very promising that in four years time we could have a very powerful team indeed.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:33 pm

So could everyone Geordie if they look at what they've got now and what's coming through - This was said back in 2007 as well and is always trawlled out. Reminds me a bit of Del Boys "this time next year Rodney", we'll have one hell of a side. Most of those will not become what you want them to become. For example, A few years ago Englands young Captain Hugo Ellis was the next great thing. Now it's Hugo who? thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 01 Sep 2011, 3:47 pm

Geordie, I appreciate your optimism and it looks as if it has a good basis, for me it just doesn't seem to be a linear thing with a lot of the better players tending to mature later in the game etc. and some developing early and fading away in the big stuff. Good luck all the same mate as you certainly have the volume there to bring on some decent players - Lets hope Newcastle can grab a few of them:thumbsup:

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Thu 01 Sep 2011, 4:01 pm

Well back to the subject matter at hand.

I think Dayglo is spot on. For all the promising youngsters they have (and no-one can deny Foden and Ashton and Tuilagi and Lawes are looking great prospects) the team does have some severe deficiencies. Some they have papered over for this world cup, but they are still there, and some of them seem to have no solutions available to MJ coming through the premiership in the next couple of years at least.

There isnt an out and out 7 anywhere in England, there are very few quality 8s and hookers and lock forwards are in short supply (the excellent Lawes excepted). None of the scrum halves are top drawer and there is a dearth of 10s too.

Funnily enough the centres - probably a weak point in this WC - will be ok as Tindall/Hape/flutey all retire or are discarded and some of the youngsters around the country are given a chance.

Dayglo is being refreshingly honest with his point of view.

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by greenandpleasantland Thu 01 Sep 2011, 4:34 pm

There are a two out and out open sides for England who have been capped....one is almost permanently injured and the other is in France!

greenandpleasantland

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Fri 02 Sep 2011, 1:21 pm

Well another day later and Dayglo is back in the press writing off England's chances again.

This time it's the RFU that are to blame for sabotaging the team and giving the opposition a head start.

Either that or it's just another tired excuse for the BBC to remind us about all the times that England have won the RWC.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 02 Sep 2011, 1:21 pm

England have won a World Cup?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by cabbagesandbrussels Fri 02 Sep 2011, 1:46 pm

methinks Gayghost is trying to stir up mischief between english and welsh posters....

cabbagesandbrussels

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down