The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heather Watson v Laura Robson

+3
newballs
socal1976
Guest82
7 posters

Go down

Heather Watson v Laura Robson Empty Heather Watson v Laura Robson

Post by Guest82 Mon 29 Aug 2011, 8:55 pm

Who will have the better career and how good will it be?

I am going to say Watson. I think she'll be top 20, but never quite a Grand Slam champion.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Heather Watson v Laura Robson Empty Re: Heather Watson v Laura Robson

Post by socal1976 Mon 29 Aug 2011, 11:06 pm

Don't know, I really don't watch woman's tennis watched half of a set of the sharapova match and watson looked pretty good. Needs a little more bite on her shots especially the serve.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Mon 29 Aug 2011, 11:21 pm

Early days for both of them. Just a quick thought for you - combine Watson's tenacity with Robson's serve & forehand. That might win a slam or two.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 30 Aug 2011, 9:34 am

I agree with newballs - between them they have most of the attributes of a really top calss player. Watson has the movement and stickability, whereas Robson has the weight of shot. Given that power seems to be the key to the WTA at the moment, and that it's probably going to be easier to turn Robson into an adequately good mover than for Watson to develop an over-powering shot (simply she's physically not big and powerful enough), I think Robson will have the better career although both have the potential to be top 25-30. Whether either will challenge for titles at the WTA level and particularly for slam titles is yet to be seen - probably neither will be quite that good.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Priesty Tue 30 Aug 2011, 10:39 pm

Agree - I think once Robson can harness her ability and get rid of some of her unforced errors she will be better in the long run. Great for us to have 2 such promising players at once though and hopefully they can inspire one another to climb the rankings. I remember Henman saying that he found having Rusedski around at the same time gave him that bit extra motivation.

Priesty

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 30 Aug 2011, 11:35 pm

Watson has little in the way of big shots but is a great retriever and keeps the unforced errors to a minimum.

She is going to have a great career.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 30 Aug 2011, 11:39 pm

Barring injuries, the clever and productive money has to be on Robson when you pit their games against other ladies. Robson loves to be the aggresor so she doesn't rely heavily on retrieving nearly as much as Wotsit. Robson = future ladies GOAT Very Happy
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down