The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NRL 'boneheaded' over possible clash with World Cup kick off

+3
aucklandlaurie
gavstar
Shifty
7 posters

Go down

NRL 'boneheaded' over possible clash with World Cup kick off Empty NRL 'boneheaded' over possible clash with World Cup kick off

Post by Shifty Sun 28 Aug 2011, 8:54 am

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby-world-cup-2011/news/article.cfm?c_id=522&objectid=10747471

Auckland Council's transport leader has accused rugby league's governing body of being "boneheaded" over a potential clash between the Rugby World Cup kick-off and a Warriors finals match.

"I think it is boneheaded of the NRL to schedule the game for the opening night of the Rugby World Cup for a number of reasons," Mike Lee, the council's transport committee chairman, told the board of its Auckland Transport subsidiary yesterday.

These were not just logistical, he said of the possibility of having to spread transport, policing and security resources to Mt Smart stadium on the night of Friday, September 9, when World Cup festivities will encompass the waterfront as well as Eden Park.

The scheduling was also "pretty dumb, because if they could schedule it on a subsequent night they would surely draw a bigger crowd to Mt Smart, and hopefully they can show some flexibility".

"I don't think we should be over-eager to try to accommodate them," Mr Lee told the transport board.

But board chairman Mark Ford was more conciliatory, saying he was encouraged by advice from officials that there would be adequate contingency plans to cope with both sporting codes if the Warriors ended up playing in the first round of the NRL finals.

That depends on whether they hold fourth place through matches over the next two weekends against the St George-Illawarra Dragons and the North Queensland Cowboys.

Mr Ford said he believed there were contractual arrangements which meant the schedule could not be avoided, but he was sure "it will go right on the night". "We just have to try to manage it, and we will."

NRL football operations director Nathan McGuirk said the league had taken a close look at the possibility of swapping days on which matches would be played in the first week of its final series.

But he said its analysis raised significant concerns that other teams' preparations for matches in that week would be greatly affected.

"We are not prepared to disadvantage a higher-ranked team by further shortening their preparation by a day despite the Warriors' unique circumstances with the Rugby World Cup.

"I am sure everyone's priority will be to provide the best possible experience for fans attending both games, and that's what we continue to work towards, should the Warriors finish fourth and earn the right to host the Friday night home final."

Despite Mr Lee's comment about possible league crowd numbers during a clash of the two sporting codes, up to 24,000 spectators are believed to be likely to attend Mt Smart, as 60,000 rugby enthusiasts head to Eden Park.

Auckland Transport spokesman Wally Thomas said after the meeting that league fans were not generally heavy patrons of public transport.

But Mr Thomas acknowledged that a match at Mt Smart would put thousands of extra cars on the roads.

Even so, Auckland Mayor Len Brown indicated confidence that the city could manage both events.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

NRL 'boneheaded' over possible clash with World Cup kick off Empty Re: NRL 'boneheaded' over possible clash with World Cup kick off

Post by Shifty Sun 28 Aug 2011, 8:55 am

I wonder if it's really "Boneheaded" or just simply malicious, and trying to divide the audience. Clearly the NRL must be worried that a lot of league fans might convert to Union if New Zealand has a successful World Cup.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

NRL 'boneheaded' over possible clash with World Cup kick off Empty Re: NRL 'boneheaded' over possible clash with World Cup kick off

Post by gavstar Mon 29 Aug 2011, 11:06 am

I've been reading your posts Alyn and I thought they sounded familiar, I've only just realised they are straight from other articles I have read! ! was thinking this guy must spend all day on this forum doing this stuff. silly me.!!

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon 29 Aug 2011, 8:33 pm

gavstar wrote:I've been reading your posts Alyn and I thought they sounded familiar, I've only just realised they are straight from other articles I have read! ! was thinking this guy must spend all day on this forum doing this stuff. silly me.!!

I put the source at the top of the page! thumbsup
Though people outside New Zealand may well not be aware of what's going on there. Hug
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 29 Aug 2011, 8:43 pm

Reality is that its not going to be an issue, after the Warriors losing to Saint George ,and last night Balmain beating the Gold Coast.
At the moment I cant see them beating the Cowboys up in Townsville either.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon 29 Aug 2011, 8:47 pm

What is worse is that the Australia-Ireland is on at the same time as an NRL finals match and Channel Nine in Australia has committed to showing both live but they are swaying towards the NRL.

Would be a massive blow if they put this game on delay.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 29 Aug 2011, 8:51 pm

MBTGOG
Sky New zealand will be broadcasting the game on 17 September live.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon 29 Aug 2011, 8:56 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote: MBTGOG
Sky New zealand will be broadcasting the game on 17 September live.

True, but I'm talking about the broadcasting in Australia.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 29 Aug 2011, 9:01 pm

To be fair Alyn, you really need to get au fait with the quote function.

If someone else said it, it looks like this

Whereas if it's your own opinion it looks like this.

I think this is fair enough. They've no obligation to worry about other sports; only if the Police view it as logistically difficult to adequately police both events.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 29 Aug 2011, 9:02 pm

MBTGOG

Perhaps this is what happens when a broadcaster is a big stakeholder in one particular sport, Interesting to hear what some of the Aussies think.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Mon 29 Aug 2011, 9:07 pm

No problem,watch one record the other ifyour a league freak.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Tue 30 Aug 2011, 12:24 am

The NRL would do it out of malice as a lot of that goes on amongst the four codes here, but I couldn't imagine it making much of a ripple in NZ. Also think Channel 9 will have to prioritise the NRL game over the Wallabies as the NRL rights are up for renewal and are worth a lot more to them than the rugby. If they show the w's live, they will lose a fair bit of cred which will cost them money in resecuring the rights.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down